Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

GrossMurpel posted:

I haven't played in ages, do you still need to spam services to get offices to max level? Like, one instance of every service every 4 blocks and parks every block.

Seems like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a mod out there called something like "improved stats" that will show you the numerical value of the services provided to a particular building out of X max total and I think it breaks it down by category (police, fire, education etc) as well. Adds a lot of well defined numerical values that are kind of obfuscated by the simplistic GUI.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pimpmust posted:

Personally I'm saddened that I can't play realistic mode and have my infrastructure projects / subway expansions take 8+ years to execute.

Cities: Public Consultation DLC expansion.

or

Cities: "You can't decrease property values! YOU WILL REGRET THIS"
You could try doing your major infrastructure projects in real time at an advanced speed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Don't forget the part where they end up costing three times the displayed price. I mean, if we're really going to have American Roads...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hadlock posted:

There's a mod out there called something like "improved stats" that will show you the numerical value of the services provided to a particular building out of X max total and I think it breaks it down by category (police, fire, education etc) as well. Adds a lot of well defined numerical values that are kind of obfuscated by the simplistic GUI.

This one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593
It's really handy for figuring out why building behave the way they behave and what they need to stop being such crybabies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I really wish high density residential didn't complain about noise so much. Noise pollution feels unbalanced some times. I can understand if I put a small house right next to an airport and bus station and factories, but a high rise shouldn't be complaining about a busy intersection and a subway stop.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

I really wish high density residential didn't complain about noise so much. Noise pollution feels unbalanced some times. I can understand if I put a small house right next to an airport and bus station and factories, but a high rise shouldn't be complaining about a busy intersection and a subway stop.

I agree. Make it a complaint I guess but it seems like they freak out just because they are near a freeway. Sucks duders, you live in downtown what do you want?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Noise can contribute to unhappiness, but it shouldn't be affected anyone's health unless it is an extreme situation (light residential touching an international airport, or thrown in the middle of a massive industrial zone.) People live next to highways and trains. This is completely normal.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't forget the part where they end up costing three times the displayed price. I mean, if we're really going to have American Roads...

I think you mean any new roads will cost three times the displayed price, and all the existing infrastructure will fall apart after 30 years because the budget mysteriously went down in correlation to the gas tax in the state. Everyone blames Obama or immigrants or both.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Noise can contribute to unhappiness, but it shouldn't be affected anyone's health unless it is an extreme situation (light residential touching an international airport, or thrown in the middle of a massive industrial zone.) People live next to highways and trains. This is completely normal.

I live in a high-density building 30m away from a rail crossing. I can't really say how much rail traffic those tracks get because unless I open a window, I can't hear the trains without actively listening for them.

So, yeah.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tippis posted:

I live in a high-density building 30m away from a rail crossing. I can't really say how much rail traffic those tracks get because unless I open a window, I can't hear the trains without actively listening for them.

So, yeah.
I live around 20 away and my entire place shakes and things fall over like 2-3 times a day. :smith:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Depends on how well the rail is built. People that live near the elevated tracks of the NYC subway or the Chicago "el" can literally go deaf from the noise those trains make. A passenger train cruising through Berlin on GLORIOUS DEUTSCHE ENGINEERINGSCHAFT won't make as much noise.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I haven't had trouble with the noise from roads and rails, but I also don't mind just not zoning residential right next to highway or rail. Even a busy four-lane road isn't loud enough to cause noticeable problems.

My biggest problem is with the level of noise created by commercial buildings. It seems totally out of whack. Subway stations are also oddly loud. Both of these are things that you actually might want to build mixed right in with residential, too, which makes it doubly annoying.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Depends on how well the rail is built. People that live near the elevated tracks of the NYC subway or the Chicago "el" can literally go deaf from the noise those trains make. A passenger train cruising through Berlin on GLORIOUS DEUTSCHE ENGINEERINGSCHAFT won't make as much noise.

It also depends on the building — building techniques haven't been standing still since back when most city centres were built. I'm willing to bet that my building being <3 years old plays a pretty significant part in how quiet it is inside.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Supraluminal posted:

Subway stations are also oddly loud.

Have you ever lived next to a subway station? They're loving loud.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Have you ever lived next to a subway station? They're loving loud.

Dig deeper!

Coincidentally, it would really solve a lot if it was possible to place subways at different depths.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Comparing Dallas-style solid concrete elevated rail vs Chicago/New York style riveted is night and day. Chicago just approved hundreds of millions of dollars to refurbish the existing noisy poo poo rather than just build a new elevated track out of a more rational concrete. Ugh.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Personally I'm saddened that I can't play realistic mode and have my infrastructure projects / subway expansions take 8+ years to execute.

Cities: Public Consultation DLC expansion.

or

Cities: "You can't decrease property values! YOU WILL REGRET THIS"

Cities: cant fix any traffic congestion because no you cant demolish those houses that people are living in you monster

also, to relocate this coal power plant will cost approximately 15 million dollars and 5 years

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

Cities: cant fix any traffic congestion because no you cant demolish those houses that people are living in you monster

also, to relocate this coal power plant will cost approximately 15 million dollars and 5 years

This is how I play. Big fat wide margins around highways now to prevent having to bulldoze anything ever.

Although I just mothball the coal plant and build new wind power once I hit a certain point, and use it as extra on demand capacity in emergencies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Your attempt to build a Nuclear Generating Station has neen blocked by environmentalists and NIMBYers. Meanwhile you coal plants continue to spew out toxic (and radioactive) ash.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can someone tell me if the European buildings mode is actually working? I haven't played the game for a really long time. It seems like it should be working, since my police station looks like this:

But on the other hand, all the growable buildings look like this:

I'm playing on a European map and the style is enabled in the content manager, but when I click on a district's policies it says "Default Style" and I can't see a way to change it.

e: And I should add that this is a pretty new city, ~3,000 people. I haven't seen any obviously European stuff like wall-to-wall buildings, but maybe they only show up at higher densities?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 2, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a euro police station, yes

Euro mode doesn't really show it's true colors until you enable high density residential, at which point your whole city will look like Amsterdam

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VostokProgram posted:

Can someone tell me if the European buildings mode is actually working? I haven't played the game for a really long time. It seems like it should be working, since my police station looks like this:

You can grab some Euro themed low density buildings from the workshop. We're in an awkward spot right now, as the majority of them still need to be updated for AD.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=477090149
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=452704398
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=496267733
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485011903
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485004701

Here are more Euro buildings:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517812411
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=482213240

There aren't a whole lot of options for low density commercial, unfortunately.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Hadlock posted:

This is how I play. Big fat wide margins around highways now to prevent having to bulldoze anything ever.

Although I just mothball the coal plant and build new wind power once I hit a certain point, and use it as extra on demand capacity in emergencies.
One thing I did miss about SimCity 4, actually, was the variable cost of bulldozing, which mean if you wanted to do a Big Dig you actually had to plan ahead. I dunno, maybe someone's made a mod to do that.

As far After Dark goes, I would like a Big Battery to go with the solar plants.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Ugh I forgot how stunningly terrible the process to update a workshop item for this game is. It's like they just didn't bother to give a poo poo.

I decided to update Nakitomi Plaza for illumination. Turned out okay, some of the windows get a weird highlight around them. But whatever...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409705124

I missed some new toggle in the asset editor though, so it's tied to city debt like the template building I used. Whatever, maybe I'll fix it later.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The asset editor's lod baking function is loving murdering me and even Gula can only give general advice which brings me no further :argh:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Supraluminal posted:

I haven't had trouble with the noise from roads and rails, but I also don't mind just not zoning residential right next to highway or rail. Even a busy four-lane road isn't loud enough to cause noticeable problems.

My biggest problem is with the level of noise created by commercial buildings. It seems totally out of whack. Subway stations are also oddly loud. Both of these are things that you actually might want to build mixed right in with residential, too, which makes it doubly annoying.

Use Fishbus's metro stations: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=429766846

They're less loud, but trade noise pollution for size. The bigger the station structure, the more quiet it is. They also look great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enos Shenk posted:

Ugh I forgot how stunningly terrible the process to update a workshop item for this game is. It's like they just didn't bother to give a poo poo.

Could you link me to a guide?

Last time I wanted to update an item, I said “whatever, I only have five subscribers anyway” and created a new one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Download my PoMo monstrosity yo.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Enos Shenk posted:

I decided to update Nakitomi Plaza for illumination. Turned out okay, some of the windows get a weird highlight around them. But whatever...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409705124

I missed some new toggle in the asset editor though, so it's tied to city debt like the template building I used. Whatever, maybe I'll fix it later.

Got plans to update your BT-tower or Tower 42 ? They're quite nice buildings.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lookin' sexy baby. I haven't played a whole lot of C:S lately because my laptop is dicks but imma download the gently caress outta that when i'm on my desktop

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Koesj posted:

The asset editor's lod baking function is loving murdering me and even Gula can only give general advice which brings me no further :argh:

Skylines will bake an lod model of your fbx if you do not provide one. This lod model also has lod textures that are generated from the ones you supplied.

If you want to provide your own lod, you simply add [yourmodelname]_lod.fbx in the same import folder as the [yourmodelname].fbx that you import into the asset editor.

Similarly, textures should also have the _lod suffix. E.g if you have [modelname]_d.tga, then provide a [modelname]_lod_d.tga (the lod case and position is important)
If you think it is important for your lod to carry over the alpha/specular/normal information then you should also do that as well.

There is only one lod.

Link to stuff here

Platystemon posted:

Could you link me to a guide?

Last time I wanted to update an item, I said “whatever, I only have five subscribers anyway” and created a new one.

If you want to update just stats, tooltip, icons or detail props in an asset you have already made, just subscribe to it and make the changes on that. That is relatively painless.

However, if you've made a change to your models textures/mesh then you basically need to put on a pot of coffee and make sure you have no hair to rip out.

But the way to do it is to make a new asset using your old asset as a base copy. And then import your model as usual.

You also have to make sure it is named exactly the same otherwise you will delete any instances that exist on your subscribers existing maps. (i've done this before!).

So, this is the way you reupload it: You use your existing subscribed model, and click re-update/upload to workshop. It will give you the usual dialogue.

Then you click on the folder for the upload image and it will show you the directory, from there you can find the package file (.crp) that contains the model it will upload to the workshop.

NOW you do the ol' switcheroo with your new model crp. so find that (or have it opened already) and replace it.

Now you can upload that model instead.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fishbus posted:

Skylines will bake an lod model of your fbx if you do not provide one. This lod model also has lod textures that are generated from the ones you supplied.

If you want to provide your own lod, you simply add [yourmodelname]_lod.fbx in the same import folder as the [yourmodelname].fbx that you import into the asset editor.

Similarly, textures should also have the _lod suffix. E.g if you have [modelname]_d.tga, then provide a [modelname]_lod_d.tga (the lod case and position is important)
If you think it is important for your lod to carry over the alpha/specular/normal information then you should also do that as well.

There is only one lod.

Yeah that's the kind of general advice I mean.

Of course I provided my own lod, but it needed incessant finnicking around with unwrapping to get a decent texture autobake going, all inside the 0-1 UV coordinates mind you. I was seeing really stupid artifacting either with or without stacked shells, and the silly thing is that in the latter case one side of the building would come out fine, while the other (symmetrical) one was messed up all to hell. After a number of tries to fine-tune it I just aimed for the barn door and did multiple auto repacks on it in Max to get one that kinda worked, and immediately froze my asset afterwards.

Gula recommends not doing anything yourself on the lod texturing front, i.e. no self-providing diffuse and the others (and I feel an _i map at least is pretty much mandatory now with After Dark). I can see where he is coming from, seeing as how importing can be kind of a pain, but for my next building I'm definitely going to have Max do a render to texture and see how C:S handles the stuff I feed it myself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder if they'll ever fix the zone filling in with buildings whining about having no electricity rather than building over at the loving electrical line first.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder if they'll ever fix the zone filling in with buildings whining about having no electricity rather than building over at the loving electrical line first.

land is more expensive there for these cheap as poo poo Cims. Much easier to gently caress up and blame it on somebody else.

I love the realism in this game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm still waiting for a mod that gives power lines much larger radii.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's no reason to make the player manually lay down water lines, either. Buildable power and water lines should be strictly for "need to get power/water across the river" type projects.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I've never understood the point of needing to place water lines either. Maybe if the water consumption efficiency or water pressure could be influenced by the layout of your pipe system, it could be an interesting mechanic, but right now it's just busywork. There's no punishment for laying pipes wherever, and never a situation where you wouldn't want a building to have access to water.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Water lines are the bigger sin because at least with power lines you take a moment to consider how its going to impact how pretty your screenshots from any given angle will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Waterlines do cost a minuscule amount of upkeep. So I guess there's a bit of a reason to go back and remove redundancy and unnecessary distances from your system, but probably only for the sort of :spergin: like me who'd also min-max budget levels.