Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can you please post this on the reddit and see what happens? Make a burner if you're worried about downvotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Randarkman posted:

The most important person in any creative project is the person who can say "no" without being fired.

There are these very rare occasions when I miss some kind of upvote function on these here forums thingies. +54 right here.
“No” in general is probably one of the most important words when engaged in any kind of process.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Can you please post this on the reddit and see what happens? Make a burner if you're worried about downvotes

Hardly worried about downvotes; haven't had an account since I forgot my password years ago. I'll make something random and see how long it takes to get removed.\

Edit: Holy gently caress that website is poo poo to post on compared to SA. No preview or anything.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 2, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Alchenar posted:

Wing Commander was one of the first games to really drive storytelling into the heart of the game.
It also had sprite-based enemy rendering which made dogfighting a guessing game since you can't even tell if an enemy is turning left or right until they turn 45° or something.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Hows things in this thread going y'all?

I see you're enjoying the article we ran.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

That doesn't seem to be what SC people are interested in though. There's basically no talk of attempting to make SC have a coherent narrative or anything.

He was answering why wing commander was a deal after people stated that Xwing was a superior game.

The industry has moved on to the point where you can simulate a universe rather than simply move through a series of navigation points where there may/may not be bad guys, the problem being that it underlines the issue that space is big, really big, and you have to have a reason for two parties to be trying to shoot each other in a really big place. Eve got around this by creating specific 'things' for poople to go after, but still suffered from scaling between Jita (~2500 pilots) to areas in 0.0 that saw a pilot an hour.

As far as I'm aware, Squadron 42 is supposed to have a narrative, but they're playing their cards very close to their chest...this feeds into the general feeling that they got nothing right now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

The $90M crash of Star Citizen

quote:

I am still an Origin fan and Wing Commander is one of my all-time favorite games; I even gave Ender a fancy joystick last Christmas just so he could play through the first two games and the secret missions, which he greatly enjoyed doing. I was absolutely delighted when I heard that Star Citizen was in the works.

Am I reading correctly that the person that wrote this piece named his son "Ender"?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JonBolds posted:

How are you reacting to the news that you're a bunch of filthy lying poopy heads?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n8fpz/star_citizen_forums_and_rstarcitizen_checklist/

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Zsinjeh posted:

Who was even going to buy Star Citizen. Every person on earth that would have wanted to buy it has already pledged. Where would the sales come from, in an incredibly niche genre no less.

I've never heard anyone actually give a sensible answer to questions like this

MeLKoR posted:

Am I reading correctly that the person that wrote this piece named his son "Ender"?

I saw that and for some reason immediately got really uncomfortable and wished I hadn't. I'm kindof embarrassed for the guy.

Malleovic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

That's loving frightening for several friends I know, but I also know if I brought up those concerns they'd say it isn't like that at all and I don't understand.

[/quote]

Not the worst name I've heard for a child. I myself am privy to at least one Cantelope.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SirTagz posted:

Actually I compared pressing a button and printing out a 'gigantic booklet containing a line by line breakdown of material costs, cost overruns, projected budgets and a tally month over month over various item etc' to flipping a burger

FYI the world didn't evolve to where it was solely so it could give birth to the unique snowflake industry of Video Gaming, business is p. much business and if you think otherwise then feel free to give millions of dollars to people with lots of ideas and no clues

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Hav posted:

How are you reacting to the news that you're a bunch of filthy lying poopy heads?

As I understand it we're either that or :perfect: - jury's still out, my goons. Still out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JonBolds posted:

Yes. Now how are you going to follow up?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

JonBolds posted:

oh wow, reddit is going to love this :lol:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

JonBolds posted:

Welcome, friend.

Impulse 9
Jul 22, 2003
I guess this only goes to reinforce why they continued to say that LTI did not matter in the long run!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm super pumped up for CitizenCon! It's the final countdown, Goonrathi. Stay strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JonBolds posted:

As I understand it we're either that or :perfect: - jury's still out, my goons. Still out.

How do you react to the claims that Liz only got the confirmation from Glassdoor and this is all a conspiracy to punch down at auteur savant Chris Roberts?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JonBolds posted:

WE'RE NOT YOUR GOONS! :supaburn:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hav posted:

He was answering why wing commander was a deal after people stated that Xwing was a superior game.

The industry has moved on to the point where you can simulate a universe rather than simply move through a series of navigation points where there may/may not be bad guys, the problem being that it underlines the issue that space is big, really big, and you have to have a reason for two parties to be trying to shoot each other in a really big place. Eve got around this by creating specific 'things' for poople to go after, but still suffered from scaling between Jita (~2500 pilots) to areas in 0.0 that saw a pilot an hour.

As far as I'm aware, Squadron 42 is supposed to have a narrative, but they're playing their cards very close to their chest...this feeds into the general feeling that they got nothing right now.

But actually on top of this (and to answer IronicDongz's point), people are generally terrible at critically appraising games for why there are good or bad. The Wing Commander series deserves the accolades for what it and for the part it played in shaping the development of the whole video games industry, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual flying-in-space bit was always a bit rubbish and quickly superseded by X-Wing et al. But all people remember is that Chris Roberts made this amazing game called Wing Commander.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JonBolds posted:

The inability for vast swathes of people to understand when they're getting fuckin' reeled in by a scumbag like Chris Roberts is pretty drat staggering, honestly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Welp, they will only give me five dollars for a refund because I did the LTI thing and was gifted my ship and I technically didn't buy it.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. Now how are you going to follow up?

I don't actually know. I had nearly nothing to do with this thing. I read it like an hour before it went live.

spacetoaster posted:

WE'RE NOT YOUR GOONS! :supaburn:

It was a joke!

Onmi posted:

How do you react to the claims that Liz only got the confirmation from Glassdoor and this is all a conspiracy to punch down at auteur savant Chris Roberts?

:nallears:

Okay anyways I have work to do have a fun day.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Star Citizen is Wing Commander, if you don't have the rights, which you don't if the EA deal falls through which it did.........

https://twitter.com/JonBolds/status/649952520090030080

Fun, but I wonder if game journo's ever wonder why people don't take games journalism seriously. I wonder if the NY Times editor published something like this after Jeff responded to the Amazon story.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Welp, they will only give me five dollars for a refund because I did the LTI thing and was gifted my ship and I technically didn't buy it.

Yeah, I got gifted the veteran's day hornet upgrade. I don't think they'd just refund that to me.

I hope my account will still stay though because I've got all the backer awards and IF the game does come out I might buy a small ship to get back in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vermain posted:

The inability for vast swathes of people to understand when they're getting fuckin' reeled in by a scumbag like Chris Roberts is pretty drat staggering, honestly.

The funny thing is these people thinking that just because you're trying to warn them, it's because you want the game to fail. Because there can't be any other reason for telling them to open their eyes and use their loving brains.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

JonBolds posted:

Sorry for all the crazy people bugging you guys, well done to everyone involved on the article.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Onmi posted:

Can you tell us more about your sources. Was it all people telling you stuff, or have you seen documents or emails too?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

For all his talk of Evil Publishers, Chris Roberts pitched it to EA first.

Not news. Most of the initial character art for star citizen was branded wing commander and published on Rob McKinnons PF site, this also included the first concept for the hornet, the scythe and the bengal carrier, The first iterations of AC even had a Kilrathi character asset that some exported into cryengine sdk. According to CR SC was first pitched as WC he wanted full control - which EA refused and that killed that project and SC was born.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Sorry for all the crazy people bugging you guys, well done to everyone involved on the article.

Agreed. Thanks for giving the beleaguered CIG employees anchance to air their perspectives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Onmi posted:

Not the worst name I've heard for a child. I myself am privy to at least one Cantelope.

The name Ender itself isn't bad, it's the association with Orson Scott Card that makes things uncomfortable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JonBolds posted:

im glad of your article

im even more glad that you posted here so now :tinfoil: star shitizens :tinfoil: will try to make direct links to Escapist and Derek Smart through GOONS

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sorla78 posted:

Not news. Most of the initial character art for star citizen was branded wing commander and published on Rob McKinnons PF site, this also included the first concept for the hornet, the scythe and the bengal carrier, The first iterations of AC even had a Kilrathi character asset that some exported into cryengine sdk. According to CR SC was first pitched as WC he wanted full control - which EA refused and that killed that project and SC was born.

I remember back when the kickstarter took off and people were all "I bet EA are kicking themselves for turning Roberts down now!"

Yeah, no, I bet they're quite happy with their decision to insist he has to have a babysitter if he wants to do anything.

JonBolds posted:

Do a promotion where people have to pick the exact date CIG folds and some of the winners get a complete Elite:Dangerous pack.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 2, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

Not news.

It was news to me, but then I only jumped on this wild ride in mid 2013.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sorla78 posted:

I'm thinking if EA didn't already have previous experience with SWTOR, they'd have accepted, and we'd right now be watching the first star citizen trailer and reading how it's costing upwards of 300 million dollars :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The name Ender itself isn't bad, it's the association with Orson Scott Card that makes things uncomfortable.

When your a Sci-Fi writer who's a fan of those books, you could do worse. Like Hubbard.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Onmi posted:

When your a Sci-Fi writer who's a fan of those books, you could do worse. Like Hubbard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I actually watched Wing Commander a year ago or so when it was on Netflix, because me and some friends thought it might be entertaining bad. It was just uninteresting and boring bad. I think it was the guy from "Hackers" who had that stupid medallion that Lesnick wears.

• Locked thread