Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumo-chan is so cunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
lol sensei

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I like how "Gotta protect the students" turned into "Whoops I turned most of my students into prisoners living a lovely agrarian lifestyle while I go off doing whatever, maybe should've thought this through more".

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm almost surprised D hasn't stepped in a little. Sure he's a evil god but from what we know of him it would be in character for him to nudge the situation a bit in favour of the students instead of the elves. I guess this is a good way for the author to give us a few important reincarnators and then lump the rest of them together since they won't have high enough levels to be relevant individually.

Though I'd also assumed Kumoko got the raw end of the deal having to fight for her life but it seems like she really gained a lot from the first few months of struggling. If there are other monster-reincarnators who survived the first couple of months they should at least be able to take care of themselves and decide their own fate even if they never reach Kumoko's level.

If you were going to reincarnate would you rather be a random villager with some random one-off special skill or some kind of killer monster with human intelligence? Seems an easy choice.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like how "Gotta protect the students" turned into "Whoops I turned most of my students into prisoners living a lovely agrarian lifestyle while I go off doing whatever, maybe should've thought this through more".

I'd assumed that the students that had been taken by the elves were just coddled and given freedom as long as they didn't leave the elf village. Turns out they were literally snatched from their cribs and forced to feed themselves as soon as they were able by a bunch of racist elves. Quite a bit darker than I expected.

I'm betting Kumoko won't go out of her way to kill any other students when she inevitably kills the elves. They won't have high levels enough levels and even if she doesn't particularly care about her classmates she doesn't seem to hate them either.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 27, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the easy choice is being the villager.

Seriously, Kumoko had a huge amount of luck and "subtle" support from above to survive even the first couple of weeks, and that was with that life style being a perfect fit for her personality. Someone who isn't a hardcore gamer like her might never even get a handle on the whole skill system before the second monster they come across eats them. This is where a human(oid)'s long childhood, teachers and training usually prepare you for the situation. You're probably looking at an at least 80% mortality rate before being able to consistently defend yourself / communicate with others. Especially if you have the bad luck of reincarnating within the reach of civilization, which is wont to send an adventurer group out to any kind of special, fast growing monster, and stomp you out before you can tell them "Wait!".

Also why do you keep calling the admin "he"

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Also why do you keep calling the admin "he"

Because I forgot D's gender was confirmed at some point.

I don't know about that. Most monsters don't start out as weak as the Small Lesser Taratect, that's the weakest, dumbest thing in the entire labyrinth. Spiders probably aren't unique among monsters for just making a thousand babies at a time so a few survive, but they can't all be that way. I also assume most monsters don't go out of their way to eat their young.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Humans need to socialize. Even though Kumoko is more comfortable being alone, the lack still contributes to her increasing insanity. I very much doubt that any of the others would enjoy being a monster all of a sudden, surrounded by enemies and struggling to survive.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

developing the parallel wills skill probably helped/advanced the insanity :allears: nothing like talking to yourself, all four or more of you

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chapter 210, In this chapter chapter of Kumoko's food diary, Kumoko cooks up some Elf stir-fry, wonders if she should add some blood since she's serving it to vampires, because obviously that's the problem.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
~~Spider drunk, spider drunk, forgets whatever a spider drunk does~~

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kuro giving alcohol to minors :mad:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

So sensei can see when students are supposed to die, but it isn't perfect and she can't see her own death. Should only be a few days until Kumoko crashes the elf party.

There more I hear about the elves the harder I find it to wait for Kumoko to kill them all. Sensei might not have known what would happen but she pointed a bunch of skill and human hating elves at humans who have unusual amounts of skills

E: today's spider chapters

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 28, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
How's about you give us a hint about what you're spoiling?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

good chapter of kumo :allears: poor gyurigyuri

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

It was mentioned a few pages back but Mother of Learning is really good, even if this isn't really the appropriate forum for it. Scratches the same sort of itch without the really stilted English that comes from poor translations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

yah shame it's only one new chapter a week but it's a fun read

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Desuwa posted:

It was mentioned a few pages back but Mother of Learning is really good, even if this isn't really the appropriate forum for it. Scratches the same sort of itch without the really stilted English that comes from poor translations.

Well, it also has likable female characters without all the weird sexual bullshit that CN/JP novels tend to be inundated with. I cannot recommend it enough to people.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Elf village battle is going to be loooooooooooong.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Does this ever actually get good or at least interesting, 'cause so far it's just bad Harry Potter with a nerd goon as the protagonist instead of a normal teenager

And while it's at least legible, it's still not very good writing style and you can see the "self insert fiction" roots still shining through.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Does this ever actually get good or at least interesting, 'cause so far it's just bad Harry Potter with a nerd goon as the protagonist instead of a normal teenager

And while it's at least legible, it's still not very good writing style and you can see the "self insert fiction" roots still shining through.

The entire thread has been nerd goon wish fulfillment self inserts. I'm the only person out of a billion that understands any mechanics in this mmo, I reincarnated and woops im a badass, People treated me like crap till I found a macguffin that let me fight an endless stream of arrogant gokuhitlers, etc. etc.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

dipple posted:

The entire thread has been nerd goon wish fulfillment self inserts. I'm the only person out of a billion that understands any mechanics in this mmo, I reincarnated and woops im a badass, People treated me like crap till I found a macguffin that let me fight an endless stream of arrogant gokuhitlers, etc. etc.

Yeah, complaining about self-insert power trips in the Web/light novel thread is pretty hilarious.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, complaining about self-insert power trips in the Web/light novel thread is pretty hilarious.

It was not, in fact, the thing i was complaining about, tho!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

That mostly seems like an effective argument as to why the thread should be gassed.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Today Kumo-chan takes up mining as a hobby.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
And then she digs into Repconn Headquarters by accident.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ugh, scifi robots of some kind. I dislike these kinds of twists. I'm going to be hopeful but I don't see what this can really add to the story, especially when there are multiple things (elf war, reconciling with Ariel, the vampire baby) that I already want to see make progress.

HenryEx posted:

It didn't catch my interest for a few chapters so I'd say if you're not feeling anything by chapter 5 or 6 it's probably not for you.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Desuwa posted:

Ugh, scifi robots of some kind. I dislike these kinds of twists.

Is this actually a twist, it's been pretty evident since the administrators showed up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

All hail our glorious Spider Goddess. Really wonder where the story's going to go from here now that she's--I think--an Administrator.

Also bleh, I'm not really looking forward to nine straight chapters of no Kumoko.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
That arnold jayeola guy is super annoying in the comments, i want to be able to read the comments but he ruins it

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

DeafAsianQT posted:

That arnold jayeola guy is super annoying in the comments, i want to be able to read the comments but he ruins it

Same. I keep trying to read comments then I see his name and just stop. He's read ahead and absolutely loves showing off that he knows what's going to happen by posting tongue-in-cheek spoilers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the trick is to not want to read the comments because they are online comments

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The last few chapters of I shall seal the Heavens have been amazing, good lord. Recommended reading for everyone.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

The last few chapters of I shall seal the Heavens have been amazing, good lord. Recommended reading for everyone.

Reading ISSTH is immoral!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm so glad that (ISSTH ch 189 spoilers) all of Meng Hao's enemies are starting to catch up to him. It feels like he has become increasingly isolated from the politics of the Cultivation world in the second book until now. I really hope he ends up joining the Song clan.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumami-chan.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kumoko's going to be getting a light novel adaptation! :toot:

Let's hope it can make the next step after that, too.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

So sounds like Kumoko was the one who broke the barrier. Hopefully she'll do something because it is kind of hard to get invested in a fight between rear end in a top hat elves and an empire lead by a power tripping rear end in a top hat.

Also what the gently caress happened to Sue? I mean I know she's didn't reincarnate but Shun just completely forgot about his sister and hasn't even mentioned her once.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kumoko's going to be getting a light novel adaptation! :toot:

Let's hope it can make the next step after that, too.

I would be hype for a Kumoko anime. Especially if it's animated well, just imagining stuff like the Fire Dragon or Alaba fights in motion is awsome.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Desuwa posted:

Also what the gently caress happened to Sue? I mean I know she's didn't reincarnate but Shun just completely forgot about his sister and hasn't even mentioned her once.

She's still taggging along with mind control rapist guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah assumed she was with rapist guy (please don't go down that route) but she hasn't been mentioned by anyone for something like ten side story chapters.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I would be hype for a Kumoko anime. Especially if it's animated well, just imagining stuff like the Fire Dragon or Alaba fights in motion is awsome.

Moe moe~ spiders. Would buy all figurines.

E: gently caress I'm bad at phone posting

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread