Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

greatn posted:

We've never had looser gun restrictions
You used to be able to buy automatic weapons and crates of TNT at any decent hardware store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

we've never had a functioning mental health care system.

We had a semi-functioning mental health system before Reagan got rid of it.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

greatn posted:

We've never had looser gun restrictions and we've never had a functioning mental health care system.

The system we had while brutal was pretty effective at keeping dysfunction al individuals out of society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

Semi-functioning in the same way Rosemary Kennedy was.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

quote:

Ok this is the Second Amendment:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
As I see it, if you're not serving in the national guard reserve, you don't get to own a gun, because you're not part of a well regulated militia. :colbert:

Also, I want a pony, and lasting peace in Israel and Palestine.

"No, because you see those are two different ideas, that's what a coma means." ~my ammosexual brother

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

His Purple Majesty posted:

The system we had while brutal was pretty effective at keeping dysfunction al individuals out of society.

Why is the personal liberty of mentally ill people less important than MY GUNS!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CommieGIR posted:

It existed but the effective treatments used today didn't start to come about until the late 70s.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I had exactly the same response. There is no downside to cramming all the fundies and similar retards back down their hole.

That's just it. I want the fundies to get hosed and they're basically the Tea Party. Cruz getting frozen out of the senate feels so good. More of the same in the House would be fantastic

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Does the idea of a well-run militia even make sense now that we actually have a real standing army?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

point of return posted:

Does the idea of a well-run militia even make sense now that we actually have a real standing army?

No.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

point of return posted:

The understanding of the 2nd Amendment that inspired those words hasn't existed since the days that of near-universal Greek and Latin requirements in higher education.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hey guys, according to available U.S. government records, there were no mass shootings in California before 1848, clearly it is Big Government Overregulation that caused all the gun violence in California!

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
We could stop every spree shooter in the country and we'd still have thousands of gun murders every year in this country. You can't distill our violence problem down to 'one weird trick', it's a melange of ridiculously lax gun regulation, mental health care, and poverty. A solution that stopped spree shooters might have little to no effect on 'normal' gun murders and vice versa.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
There should be mental health cooldowns/restrictions for gun ownership but they should be primarily focused around wanting to harm oneself what with that being more than an order of magnitude more likely than a spree killer (and the link between mental health issues and suicide is almost tautological compared to the tenuous one to spree killings)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think that if you have paranoid delusions of grandeur (such as thinking the government is coming to take your guns) you probably shouldn't be allowed to own one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Maarek posted:

We could stop every spree shooter in the country and we'd still have thousands of gun murders every year in this country. You can't distill our violence problem down to 'one weird trick', it's a melange of ridiculously lax gun regulation, mental health care, and poverty. A solution that stopped spree shooters might have little to no effect on 'normal' gun murders and vice versa.

Yes just because we can't stop all gun violence means we shouldn't do something to stop some of the most egregious.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

Hey guys, according to available U.S. government records, there were no mass shootings in California before 1848, clearly it is Big Government Overregulation that caused all the gun violence in California!

Did Junipero Serra ever shoot the natives or was he just a beat and starve them to death while raping the little boys kind of guy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

point of return posted:

There should be mental health cooldowns/restrictions for gun ownership but they should be primarily focused around wanting to harm oneself what with that being more than an order of magnitude more likely than a spree killer (and the link between mental health issues and suicide is almost tautological compared to the tenuous one to spree killings)
This is pretty much why if you walk into a gun range as a lone white dude many will not rent you a gun. White dudes really need to find a less inconvenient way to kill themselves.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I think that if you have paranoid delusions of grandeur (such as thinking the government is coming to take your guns) you probably shouldn't be allowed to own one.

But we have goverment officials that are on record for wanting a total ban on guns including one that turned out to be a gun runner himself!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Maarek posted:

Except conservatives aren't interested in fixing any of those three problems.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maarek posted:

So we might as well do nothing and hope that works!

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes just because we can't stop all gun violence means we shouldn't do something to stop some of the most egregious.

That's definitely not what I said and I don't know how you'd take that from my post unless you're just spoiling to argue over nothing.

Duke Igthorn posted:

So we might as well do nothing and hope that works!

Or we could fix all of those things and not pretend there's a silver bullet (heh) that can fix a serious problem in the USA.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Feds reporting the shooter had body armor, 3 pistols, 1 rifle, 5 extra magazines.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish I were the Flash. I'd just steal all the guns. Then I'd go disable factories.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Except conservatives aren't interested in fixing any of those three problems.

In general, if you are trying to advocate for or enact some sort of social policy that would do good and useful things you can just assume that conservative ideologues are going to be 100% against it all the way because that's pretty much their thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

But we have goverment officials that are on record for wanting a total ban on guns including one that turned out to be a gun runner himself!

And we have government officials on record that we should take away no fault divorce, it would still be a paranoid delusion to think the government was going to come take away your marriage!

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Can't wait for talking heads to all agree that consumers are just being lazy.

Edit- basically this rant from the WSJ back from June.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/06/02/grand-central-a-letter-to-stingy-american-consumers

quote:

We know you experienced a terrible shock when Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008 and your employer responded by firing you. We know stock prices collapsed and that was shocking too. We also know you shouldn’t have taken out that large second mortgage during the housing boom to fix up your kitchen with granite countertops. You’ve been working very hard to pay off this debt and we admire your fortitude. But these shocks seem like a long time ago to us in a newsroom. Is that still what’s holding you back?

Do you know the American economy is counting on you? We can’t count on the rest of the world to spend money on our stuff. The rest of the world is in an even worse mood than you are. You should feel lucky you’re not a Greek consumer. And China, well they’re truly struggling there just to reach the very modest goal of 7% growth.

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Maarek posted:

Or we could fix all of those things and not pretend there's a silver bullet (heh) that can fix a serious problem in the USA.

Gun ban/control advocates are almost universally in support of improved healthcare and social programs, hth.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Maarek posted:

spoiling to argue over nothing.
Welcome to gunthred.

Trabisnikof posted:

And we have government officials on record that we should take away no fault divorce, it would still be a paranoid delusion to think the government was going to come take away your marriage!
I mean, not really. Not if you're gay.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey US,

Stop shooting people at school,

signed, UK.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Another Person posted:

Hey US,

signed, UK.

We don't have any colonies so we have to do it at schools. Don't judge us.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We don't have any colonies so we have to do it at schools. Don't judge us.

Judging hard right here.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I'll repeat this question since you nanny state authortorians glossed over it,
Can no one answer this simple question?

ooh ooh me!

there are more people

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Another Person posted:

Hey US,

signed, UK.

Hey UK,

Our political system is such that if our president says in front of a camera that he likes puppies and grandmothers, 40% of the country would strangle their puppy and beat the nearest grandmother to death with the corpse.

signed, US

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Welcome to gunthred.

Yeah, I generally stay out of them but I have to say I am legitimately surprised that me posting that we have different kinds of gun violence that will require different policies to deal with got answered by two "WELL I GUESS WE SHOULD JUST CLOSE DOWN THE COUNTRY, THEN".

LeeMajors posted:

Gun ban/control advocates are almost universally in support of improved healthcare and social programs, hth.

And I have read this half a dozen times and still have no idea what the hell you are trying to say.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Maarek posted:

And I have read this half a dozen times and still have no idea what the hell you are trying to say.

People in favor of gun control also tend to support increased mental health funding and other social programs.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Another Person posted:

Hey US,

signed, UK.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Hey UK,

Our political system is such that if our president says in front of a camera that he likes puppies and grandmothers, 40% of the country would strangle their puppy and beat the nearest grandmother to death with the corpse.

signed, US
At least we know he's never hosed a pig.

Because he's Muslim.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Maarek posted:

You're acting like gun control advocates are in favor of gun bans in a vacuum. We almost universally support improved healthcare (including mental health, as in single-payer, max accessibility healthcare) and social programs (minimizing the deplorable conditions of poverty).

So saying :colbert: "well, you need to address all the problems of gun violence" :colbert: is really dumb because almost all of us are politically inclined to improve on all those societal ills.

I'll repeat this question since you nanny state authortorians glossed over it,
Can no one answer this simple question?

Neither of those things have been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

goofed.

• Locked thread