Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

Isn't Arctic Scavengers supposed to be pretty good?

Tanto Cuore is the true successor to Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Mysterium is to Dixit what Arctic Scavengers or Trains was to Dominion- it’s a game that takes one of these never-before-seen ideas, then polishes it up and adds the storytelling that simultaneously praises the original concept and consigns it to the dumpster of history.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

source your quotes :v:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is playing Archipelago with a group of five new-to-newish players a good idea or bad idea? Newish being on their second or third game in a year.

And we might end up with six players and have to dramatically change gears on game selection, but that's a different issue.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

source your quotes :v:

We all know that one is from susd though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

silvergoose posted:

We all know that one is from susd though.
it was a meta joke silvergoose

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is playing Archipelago with a group of five new-to-newish players a good idea or bad idea? Newish being on their second or third game in a year.

And we might end up with six players and have to dramatically change gears on game selection, but that's a different issue.

That all depends on what kinds of games you usually play and what kind of time commitment people expect. Archipelago is one of those kinds of games where even if you fully understand the rules, you really need to play it a few times to understand the flow of the game and why you should do the things you do.

If you haven't played the game before, there is a thread on BGG I linked a few pages ago that you really should read (fake edit: Here it is.). Basically, I really like the game but the rulebook is very unclear about certain things. Pay close attention to the rules for migration, entering/exiting buildings, and what makes citizens engaged. I played a couple of rounds solo before I taught the game and I still screwed up 4 or 5 rules.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Any Concordia strategy tips? All I've learned so far is "buy cards" and "do everything".

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Aside from him overhyping it, is there anything actually bad about Arctic Scavengers? It got plenty of other good reviews and a quick search through this thread only turns up positive comments from people who have actually played it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

quote is not edit

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Medium Style posted:

Any Concordia strategy tips? All I've learned so far is "buy cards" and "do everything".

Specialization is good, too.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CaptainRightful posted:

Aside from him overhyping it, is there anything actually bad about Arctic Scavengers? It got plenty of other good reviews and a quick search through this thread only turns up positive comments from people who have actually played it.

I felt it was a resoundingly mediocre game. Trashing your early cards is easy and vital, and digging in the pile is great up until one person gets both med kits and other people get nothing useful.

Theoretically the expansions help a bit, but the dual resources combined with medicine being tied to both high powered cards and random luck dulled my enthusiasm. It's a game that while I would play it again if it's all we had, I'd much rather play a different game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

it was a meta joke silvergoose

Ffffffuck, owned.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Medium Style posted:

Try to focus on one god. A lot of it depends on where the other players go and how the board is set up. Going Jupiter or Saturnus can be very rewarding, especially if you can get a good craft personality that fits the distribution of that commodity and your god. I've also had success going hard into an early Mars, late building strategy. Getting all your colonists out early can really let you maximize your reach for Saturnus.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've tried out the digital version of Twilight Struggle a bit, and it's super rough right now. I set the turn timer at 3 days, just to be nice and easy, and it turns out you get a pool of 72 hours that gets depleted whenever the other person is waiting on you, and never recharges or anything, which seems like the dumbest loving way to do it. Also it forgets your volume settings whenever you enter or leave a game. Like I guess there was a lot of pressure on them to release something workable at the first opportunity, but I just have no desire to keep playing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That all depends on what kinds of games you usually play and what kind of time commitment people expect. Archipelago is one of those kinds of games where even if you fully understand the rules, you really need to play it a few times to understand the flow of the game and why you should do the things you do.

If you haven't played the game before, there is a thread on BGG I linked a few pages ago that you really should read (fake edit: Here it is.). Basically, I really like the game but the rulebook is very unclear about certain things. Pay close attention to the rules for migration, entering/exiting buildings, and what makes citizens engaged. I played a couple of rounds solo before I taught the game and I still screwed up 4 or 5 rules.

Thanks, I should clarify that I've played it a couple times with three, so I have some cheat sheets to review already. What I'm worried about is playing with five players.

We're definitely sitting down to play a multi-hour game. Unless we get six, then we'll have to play a few rounds of 7 Wonders and Resistance, I guess. It'll be the one time I'll wish I owned Rex.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Last night in codenames I gave my wife the clue OBI-WAN KENOBI:4 to have her successfully guess CLOAK, GHOST, FORCE, and LIGHT but avoid other "Star Wars"-y words like PILOT, SHIP, LASER, and ROBOT. I love it when something comes together :glomp:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Last night in codenames I gave my wife the clue OBI-WAN KENOBI:4 to have her successfully guess CLOAK, GHOST, FORCE, and LIGHT but avoid other "Star Wars"-y words like PILOT, SHIP, LASER, and ROBOT. I love it when something comes together :glomp:

GodDAMN I need this game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Medium Style posted:

Like others have said it really depends on the board and the cards that are coming out. I try to get a Consul as early as possible or several diplomats so I always have one available to diplomat someone else's Consul. I seem to end up always scoring big on the Merc cards as the upgraded Mercator (+5 cash) is a nice bonus (especially early) and having two Mercs is really nice for flexibility late in the game. 5 Merc cards with all the type production will score you 50 points.

I don't/didn't think Mars is the greatest for in game play once you had your colonists out but Mega64 scored 60 points with it last night while using the gold portion of the card pretty well (he was basically getting 10 every time he played it which is really right around the most you're going to get at the Prefect).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Forbidden Stars this evening. Should be interesting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CaptainRightful posted:

I really don't like how random it feels. Whether it is actually random is another matter entirely, but it just feels random, from digging the pile to get anything from literal junk to stuff that is better than the cards available on the market (med kits come to mind, here) to the variance in winning combat. I played a game where I won about 75% of the combat (kinda accidentally...) and still almost lost because the few that the others won had all the points. I get the feeling the (optional) player starting powers are unbalanced, as well.

But again, I don't like deckbuilders that aren't Mage Knight, so take that for what it's worth.

Edit: Arctic Scavengers felt like a two resource deckbuilder where the second resource was luck.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 2, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I too was not fond of the randomness of getting early medicine, but I like everything else.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Jedit posted:

Is anyone other than me making the Gamer Hajj to Essen next week?

I'll be there.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Krazyface posted:

I've tried out the digital version of Twilight Struggle a bit, and it's super rough right now. I set the turn timer at 3 days, just to be nice and easy, and it turns out you get a pool of 72 hours that gets depleted whenever the other person is waiting on you, and never recharges or anything, which seems like the dumbest loving way to do it. Also it forgets your volume settings whenever you enter or leave a game. Like I guess there was a lot of pressure on them to release something workable at the first opportunity, but I just have no desire to keep playing.

What's amazing is that this has been in development for a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zark the Damned posted:

I'll be there.

Want to meet up at some point? If you're by yourself you can probably tag along with our group, which is a lot more fun than going solo, or if you're in company we can maybe get both groups into someone's hotel bar and play the Vital Lacerda Drinking Game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

arctic scavengers is dominion for idiot babies who whine about dominion's lack of theme or (perceived) lack of player interaction

there are a lot of deck builders that are worse though, it's pretty aggressively mediocre

deadwing fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 2, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Apps (and most computer development stuff) are black holes and money pits. Hopefully they spend plenty time fixing it up to the standard of the Galaxy Trucker app.

Blood Rage trip report: it's good.

Longer version: it's great! No luck, several solid competing strategies that can be swapped between and/or optimised.

That said, I found a really degenerative strategy: combine the sea monster and the ship upgrade that gives 12VP when your ship is destroyed and you've got a neat 2 ship force that's really good for dying. Add in the upgrade that allows you to trash 2 figures to gain an upgrade and you can kill them even if everyone else is avoiding them, not too shabby. The game-breaking bit is the free upgrade that allows you to respawn figures from Valhalla for 1 rage each: with this, you can just kill and respawn your ships until you win. You could make 72 VP on the final turn and, if you've got the upgrades, there's not a thing anyone can do to stop you.

Fenris, the wolf, is incredible for a last minute shift of the ragnarok token. At a cost of just 2 rage it might be the best VP generating monster in the game, especially if you can double up on quests and clan upgrades that give VP for all of your guys getting nuked.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 2, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Supreme Court posted:

Fenris, the wolf, is incredible for a last minute shift of the ragnarok token. At a cost of just 2 rage it might be the best VP generating monster in the game, especially if you can double up on quests and clan upgrades that give VP for all of your guys getting nuked.

Before anyone gets excited, Fenris is a Kickstarter exclusive so you will never have access to this without paying secondary market prices.

Kickstarter!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

lordsummerisle posted:

Tales of Arabian Nights really needs some better mechanics around its brilliant storybook.

I'm hoping that The 7th Continent will fill this void. But y'know, Kickstarter, hope is a lie, etc.

Other games have tried, with mixed results. Agents of SMERSH is an awful mess. I haven't played Above and Below yet, but it seems to be an economy euro first and foremost, with a TotAN flavor sprinkled over it.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 2, 2015

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

jmzero posted:

For us, the rules are clear - you can have whatever pre-communication you want about how you'll respond to certain situations or whatever (and understanding what people will do is a big part of the game's strategy), but you can't do any communication once the game starts (other than what the rules allow). You can arrange your cards in your hand to remember things, but you can't do it to signal. You can scratch your nose, but you can't do it to signal. I don't think there's anything that's really unclear, unless players are being willfully dense or are trying to subvert the rules (which, again, seems kind of silly in a co-op game). It's not that hard to stop communicating - you just have to show some restraint, just the same as you do while your team argues about the clue in Codenames.

I am against pre-communication in Hanabi. A lot of the fun (at least for me) is developing the meta after a few plays. So and so does the last-card-discard thing, she doesn't, he has no short-term memory, he thinks he has short-term memory but doesn't, etc. Discovering your teammate's quirks and developing a way to communicate within the game's framework is the interesting part. If you sit down at the table and say "HELLO HERE IS MY META" then it's like spoiling the end of a movie.

I know there aren't any rules against pre-communication, so it's a group thing... it's just on my mind since it's very much the opinion of our crew and a new guy joined one of our nights recently and got really upset when no one followed whatever international standard Hanabi conventions he thought the entire planet had played by. Then he got more upset when people just wanted to play the next game out instead of being lectured on these conventions before they started.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
What is the difference between the Red and Blue versions Pandemic Legacy? My girlfriends family loves to play Pandemic every Christmas, so I am interested in picking up the new version of the game this thread has even bashing for the last six pages.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No difference, just different boxes so you can have two campaigns going and not be confused which is which.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

No difference, just different boxes so you can have two campaigns going and not be confused which is which.

That is stupid.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
The alternative is stupider, I suppose, but alt covers is not something I want to see appearing in the board game industry.

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

That is stupid.

So says the testament of Vlaada.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played Blood Bowl: Team Manager for the first time this week and enjoyed it, and am considering picking it up myself. Is there any glaring flaws in the various teams/leagues that are unfun/degenerate?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Merauder posted:

Played Blood Bowl: Team Manager for the first time this week and enjoyed it, and am considering picking it up myself. Is there any glaring flaws in the various teams/leagues that are unfun/degenerate?

I think the dwarves kind of suck, but then again I'm pretty bad at that game (though I do like it quite a bit).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think the dwarves kind of suck

The true Blood Bowl experience.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Tanto Cuore is the true successor to Dominion.

If it weren't for the theme, it could definitely be a decent successor.

Apparently there's a Smash Up: Munchkin now with the 8 decks being Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Orcs. Iirc. It introduces monsters that can appear on bases and treasure cards for killing said monsters. Haven't seen it played yet. How terrible is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

Want to meet up at some point? If you're by yourself you can probably tag along with our group, which is a lot more fun than going solo, or if you're in company we can maybe get both groups into someone's hotel bar and play the Vital Lacerda Drinking Game.

I'm going to Spiel as well, on Friday. Not sure if I'll add a second day to that, or whether anyone is going to join me yet, but I'm up for meeting.

By the way, if you still have any of those Polish Discworld books left that you posted about in the Book Barn thread, I know someone who'd like to have them.