Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

However, I think it's too late for the no-fly zone. Had it been put in place a year ago, Putin would just have to suck it, but now again by being so slow and indecisive, Putin forced us to be the aggressor should we decide to do something about this.

I think the only alternate is what McCain suggested, which is having some advanced anti air weapons fall off a truck in Homs. It's a bit less public, but it's also more confrontational. With a no fly zone, we can tell Russia that their planes will be shot down beginning at X time. Then it's on them to decide whether to escalate. It gives them an opportunity to back down. If we just give the opposition the means to take out Russian jets, the odds of a plane being shot down are much higher than with a no fly zone, and that's obviously something we should try to avoid. It's really the only option other than turning a blind eye, and doing that creates more problems than it solves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
We give stingers away like their cookies at a PTO meeting. I'd be surprised if the non-ISIS rebels don't already have some (or a 3rd party reasonable alternative for deniability), they probably just weren't expecting to get hit yesterday so didn't have them out and ready.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think if what was said about the Russians being deficient in precision weapons (they'll have to fly lower to be accurate) is true, and knowing that rebel factions already have a bunch of anti-aircraft weapons sufficient for taking down or scaring off low-flying aircraft, we should start to see Russian planes fall out of the sky with or without a certain truck dropping a bunch of missiles in Homs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

Well, it's not like she could have advised setting up no fly zones in Syria back when she was Secretary of State, you know, several years ago when that would have been mildly useful. It probably wouldn't have solved anything, but her husband did alright enforcing No Fly Zones.

So now that she's a private citizen running for public office and the Russians are flying sorties over Syria, now she calls for a no fly zone when even the biggest hawks think that picking fights with Russia is really loving retarded, what is the plan here?

I think the difference is that when she was secretary of state, she could have encouraged it to actually happen. Now that she is not in an official position its just meaningless bluster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Murgos posted:

Strategically, if Russia holds Crimea the whole thing is a Russian success. Your pointing out how homey and hospitable the house still is even though it has no roof or glass in it's windows.

"Holds" is a pretty strong word. They're politically marginalized within Ukraine but unable to be Russian territory either because nobody recognizes a criminal attempt at a land grab.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

I think the only alternate is what McCain suggested, which is having some advanced anti air weapons fall off a truck in Homs. It's a bit less public, but it's also more confrontational. With a no fly zone, we can tell Russia that their planes will be shot down beginning at X time. Then it's on them to decide whether to escalate. It gives them an opportunity to back down. If we just give the opposition the means to take out Russian jets, the odds of a plane being shot down are much higher than with a no fly zone, and that's obviously something we should try to avoid. It's really the only option other than turning a blind eye, and doing that creates more problems than it solves.

I think whether a no-fly zone is a good idea or not boils down to one issue: do you want to shoot down a Russian jet. If yes then go for the no fly zone. If not then you're going to look stupid when the Russians violate it and you do nothing.

So do you want to shoot down a Russian jet? My bet is no.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Any advanced weapons the US gives to the "good" rebels will inevitably fall into the hands of ISIS, the "bad" rebels or Assad. Didn't most of the US trained rebels run away?

Loose stingers in an area with uncontrolled borders is a security nightmare. How long until US aircraft or civilian airliners end up being at risk?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

"Holds" is a pretty strong word. They're politically marginalized within Ukraine but unable to be Russian territory either because nobody recognizes a criminal attempt at a land grab.

LOL. Why does Russia care about Crimean political clout within Ukraine? Also, they have already claimed Crimea as Russian territory and no one seems to be contesting it very seriously, except for a portion of the local Tartar population who are blocking some of the roads.

If Ukraine could push Russia out of Donbass AND blockade Crimea, maybe you would have a point but the first looks unlikely and the second is outright impossible without foreign intervention.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think whether a no-fly zone is a good idea or not boils down to one issue: do you want to shoot down a Russian jet. If yes then go for the no fly zone. If not then you're going to look stupid when the Russians violate it and you do nothing.

Why is the onus on the US to not shoot down a Russian jet rather than on Russia to not violate a no fly zone they were clearly informed about? If Putin wants to call a bluff when there isn't one, that's his problem, but to be honest, I don't see him doing that. He'd find some other way to save face rather than risk having poo poo get shot down and then slinking away with his tail between his legs.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Frosted Flake posted:

Any advanced weapons the US gives to the "good" rebels will inevitably fall into the hands of ISIS, the "bad" rebels or Assad. Didn't most of the US trained rebels run away?

Loose stingers in an area with uncontrolled borders is a security nightmare. How long until US aircraft or civilian airliners end up being at risk?

This. It has happened time and time again. Any AA weapons provided to the FSA will inevitably be used again US, French, Jordanian or Turkish aircraft down the road. It's a very bad idea.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well someone gave the rebels Chinese FN-6 MANPADS, and it wasn't the US, and whoever it is might feel it's time to reopen the supply.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

Well someone gave the rebels Chinese FN-6 MANPADS, and it wasn't the US, and whoever it is might feel it's time to reopen the supply.

Haven't seen you in a while, busy as hell with all the goings on?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Why is the onus on the US to not shoot down a Russian jet rather than on Russia to not violate a no fly zone they were clearly informed about? If Putin wants to call a bluff when there isn't one, that's his problem, but to be honest, I don't see him doing that. He'd find some other way to save face rather than risk having poo poo get shot down and then slinking away with his tail between his legs.

Because if you are going to threaten something you must be willing to follow through even if you don't think it's likely. You can institute a no fly zone and calculate that it's highly likely that Putin will back down and not violate. Fine, not a problem. But you have to account for the worst case scenario in which Putin violates it in which case you must follow through on your threat.

So are we willing to follow through? If not, then don't make the threat and don't do a no fly zone.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Frosted Flake posted:

A US plane was shot down just yesterday in Afghanistan.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm under the impression that Volkerball's solution to everything is to blow it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

A US plane was shot down just yesterday in Afghanistan.

No, it just crashed. They've found no evidence to support it being shot down.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

CommieGIR posted:

No, it just crashed. They've found no evidence to support it being shot down.

Well that's what I get for having NPR as my news source then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Well that's what I get for having NPR as my news source then.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/10/01/c-130-crashes-afghanistan/73173916/

The Taliban claimed they shot it down. They can't find any evidence to support that claim.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/10/01/c-130-crashes-afghanistan/73173916/

The Taliban claimed they shot it down. They can't find any evidence to support that claim.

There is the fair point to be made though that it is probably a terrible idea to supply arms against a major military power that has the ability to supply arms itself unless you really want to go down that road.

That said, some people really seem to want that period of history back so much it is probably physically hurting them.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'm under the impression that Volkerball's solution to everything is to blow it up.

"Hrm yeah we should start bombing Separatists in Eastern Ukraine, that won't start World War loving 3 immediately"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

"Hrm yeah we should start bombing Separatists in Eastern Ukraine, that won't start World War loving 3 immediately"

It won't, hope this helps.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Its time for Obama to grow a pair and whoop Putin on the rear end with a bold move imo.

E: and I am far from being a hawk.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
WW3 won't happen because the entire logic of the Cold War nuclear standoff went out the door with the fall of the USSR.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's not just the rebels though. The US gave Iraq "Monkey Model" Abrams without DU armour and probably without the latest models of comms and firecontrol systems.

As much as it might feel satisfying to flood the region with weapons, it's worth keeping in mind that even if the FSA won there would be no guarantee of a government friendly to the US, let alone one that could control weapons systems within its borders.

The problem with Russian involvement specifically is that any weapons system that can effectively engage a SU-34 or T-90 would also be effective against F-15s and Abrams. In fact, they would need to be. These aren't Assad's poorly maintained, poorly flown MiG-23s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

WW3 won't happen because the entire logic of the Cold War nuclear standoff went out the door with the fall of the USSR.

....what? Putin has not only actively pushed the idea that he is refreshing their offensive stockpile, but is upgrading their ABM systems as well.

I mean, to be fair, we actively refresh our stockpile as our warheads age, but he wants to build brand new weapons and increase his stockpile. The standoff is alive and well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Haven't seen you in a while, busy as hell with all the goings on?

Been sorting out funding for Bellingcat, doing a bunch of events and meetings, and preparing stuff for the Dutch Safety Board report on MH17 released on October 13th. I just got it all sorted and now Russia bombs Syria, which seems to have done a lot more damage to my productivity than ISIS. I've just written a piece for First Draft so everyone can learn to find interesting stuff on Syrian social media themselves.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I suppose when every fear presented over the prospect of intervention has been realized, and we've hit worst case scenario in several regards due to a dumb poo poo do nothing and let it ferment policy, "lol volkerball, amirite? :rolleyes:" is about all you've got left to defend yourself.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Yeah, this logic sure stopped Putin from bombing CIA assets in Syria.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

Been sorting out funding for Bellingcat, doing a bunch of events and meetings, and preparing stuff for the Dutch Safety Board report on MH17 released on October 13th. I just got it all sorted and now Russia bombs Syria, which seems to have done a lot more damage to my productivity than ISIS. I've just written a piece for First Draft so everyone can learn to find interesting stuff on Syrian social media themselves.

Nice, looking forward to it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Sorry to barge into the "now suddenly we give a poo poo" brigade, but can someone recommend a really good article/think piece about just the scale of the devastation/humanitarian crisis the Syrian civil war is?

Far from being that only now I give a poo poo, I've always thought that discussion about the Syrian civil war, especially now with the refugee crisis in europe, no matter how hard they try, always fail to properly layout just what a horrible horrible hell is currently being lived in Syria. I really want to get an idea of the scope.

Also if there is some good podcast/podcast episode would be great too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Russian Air Forces' Su-25 jets conducted 2 strike missions against ISIS terrorist base around Maarat al-Numaan, destroying previously scouted ammo & explosives depot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_w0DJatn8

quote:

Su-24 bombers engaged ISIS roadblock near MAARRAT AL-NUUMAN: video shows terrorists shelters being hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClAebrDAXQQ

quote:

Su-34 bombers attacked #ISIS training camp near MAADAN-JADID & hidden HQ near CASSERT-FARRAHJ to the south-west of city of RAQQAH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vKPygn-ok

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

....what? Putin has not only actively pushed the idea that he is refreshing their offensive stockpile, but is upgrading their ABM systems as well.

I mean, to be fair, we actively refresh our stockpile as our warheads age, but he wants to build brand new weapons and increase his stockpile. The standoff is alive and well.
Who cares? Russia won't even consider a launch unless we attack their territory. East Ukraine is under attack by terrorists and as far as we're concerned there are no Russian troops there anyway.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If Putin wants to play game with plausible deniability then let him, but its a two way street.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Miltank posted:

If Putin wants to play game with plausible deniability then let him, but its a two way street.

I know that that cold warrior 'Merica :911: stuff is an easy way to cope with what's going on right now, but it's worth mentioning that if the game is "arm the other side's enemies" America has a lot more to lose than Russia. What you're suggesting is a very, very dangerous proposition that would in no way end well. What is your best possible outcome here?

America gives Russia a bloody nose, and they what? Stop trying to carry out their foreign policy goals not only with their only remaining ally in the Middle East but also in their own backyard?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Gozinbulx posted:

Sorry to barge into the "now suddenly we give a poo poo" brigade, but can someone recommend a really good article/think piece about just the scale of the devastation/humanitarian crisis the Syrian civil war is?

Far from being that only now I give a poo poo, I've always thought that discussion about the Syrian civil war, especially now with the refugee crisis in europe, no matter how hard they try, always fail to properly layout just what a horrible horrible hell is currently being lived in Syria. I really want to get an idea of the scope.

Also if there is some good podcast/podcast episode would be great too.
However bad you think it is, it's worse.

Literally half of Syria's pre-2011 population are either refugees or internally displaced, the civil war shows no signs of ending, the neighboring countries are beyond maxed out, and Alan Kurdi brought the refugee issue to the forefront of discussion, because it apparently takes a photo of a dead toddler on a beach to get people to care.

And all that was all before Russia decided that doing "Afghanistan 2: Syria edition" was a good idea.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Russia is best buds with Iran and Sisi too, so you can stop trying to pretend poor plucky Russia has no choice but to support their only ally in the middle east, even though said ally is an evil loving dictatorship in a failed state.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 2, 2015

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Vladimir Putin posted:

I guess there's still the option to enforce a no-fly-zone in southern Syria, since Russia is so far only claiming northern airspace. I highly doubt it will happen though.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Rukeli posted:

I guess there's still the option to enforce a no-fly-zone in southern Syria, since Russia is so far only claiming northern airspace. I highly doubt it will happen though.

What's the point of setting one down south?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Yeah, we're too desensitized to words on a page. We read about people being murdered every day, and then everything is filtered through bullshit. At the same time you don't really want to watch the videos of atrocities for obvious reasons.

Assad's government is a brutal dictatorship responsible for thousands of deaths. He's under Putin's influence and protection. The Saudi and American governments say they want regime change for these reasons.

They fund and train insurgents to start a violent revolution (Link) as is their MO in many Middle-Eastern countries. Civil war follows as planned, with Assad refusing to step down. Civilians caught in the middle are massacred as usual. Russia props his government up by bombing the rebels. It's now a "stalemate".

Everyone watches events unfold with mild interest. It's so awful but at least it's happening far away. What will those zany Russians do next?

Mackers fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 2, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One way or another this ends with a mushroom cloud.

We will have a secular globe or a dead one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

so whats goin on in egypt?

• Locked thread