Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mr.capps posted:

I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

(i am not nearly that debate-y though)

Same here man, I'm on board with Besser pretty much 100% of the time. I don't get the hate, I think I4H has staying power. Unlike all the other podcasts I started listening to and loving only to give up on them a few months later (like Who Charted, The Todd Glass Show or HH). CBB and I4H are my mainstays.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I had the same reaction at first when I tried it about 6 months ago, but recently I tried again with the Sinbad episode and I've been hooked ever since. Maybe give it some time and you'll come around to it like I did.

I really tried to keep up with HH because of you guys, but even only listening to my favorite guests wasn't enough to keep me around. It's so hit or miss for me and has the whole "cringe humor" thing which just makes me feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been listening to Hollywood handbook for months and I still can't navigate the red carpet lined back hallways of this industry they call...

showbiz.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Cloks posted:

I've been listening to Hollywood handbook for months and I still can't navigate the red carpet lined back hallways of this industry they call...

showbiz.

whatupwhatup

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Cloks posted:

showbiz.

After many months of listening I just recently learned how to hotdog go to bathroom, so there's hope for everyone.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

ElCondemn posted:

I really tried to keep up with HH because of you guys, but even only listening to my favorite guests wasn't enough to keep me around. It's so hit or miss for me and has the whole "cringe humor" thing which just makes me feel bad.

I like HH but apparently not nearly as much as some people around here. The show can be great when they take something and make it sillier and sillier and go in weird directions, but sometimes they just do obvious sarcastic takes on things and don't really go beyond that.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I fully understand why someone wouldn't like Hollywood Handbook, but it's the funniest podcast currently in production, by far.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

cams posted:

I fully understand why someone wouldn't like Hollywood Handbook, but it's the funniest podcast currently in production, by far.

I agree on HH, but I don't understand why so many HH fans seem to miss Reality Show Show. I've listened through most of it now, and it's like 60% good stuff, 40% dull interviews with some dipshit from the bachelor. They've so clearly identified what was good and improved the formula.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh are they reviewing Shark Tank on HH now?

Ehhhhh I don't think so

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

WoG posted:

I agree on HH, but I don't understand why so many HH fans seem to miss Reality Show Show. I've listened through most of it now, and it's like 60% good stuff, 40% dull interviews with some dipshit from the bachelor. They've so clearly identified what was good and improved the formula.

IIRC they only had like...two or three actual reality people on?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

cams posted:

what's funny is I actually agree with almost all of the negative stuff people have to say about the show in their ehhh wrong segments, but whereas they think those things make the show bad, I'm all about them.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

hahaha for real, it was a so-so episode, but that guy absolutely ruined it
To me, when he stomps all over someone, it is expressly because he's so high level and feels comfortable with doing it. Or he sees the obvious place the scene is going and tries to make it strange. The man is a drat jazz musician, playing the wrong notes on purpose.

It's nowhere near as inartful as when Scotty-2-hotty just poo poo all over his Spont scenes or is all meta about it, afraid to commit.

Besser usually left-turns a scene because it needs it. There are some seldom episodes where I feel like he's doing that too soon (a very recent ep had this problem), but you aren't a guy with his cache without the ability to know when a scene is sputtering and to give it a kick.

It's an entirely different matter if you find where he takes a scene funny or not. His old-man poo poo and getting overly aggressive about his personal opinions on the state of the world can be a bit much, but it's his god drat show so gently caress it.

He's very skilled and knows the game. Most critiques simply come down to whether you like his specific sense of humor and mentality or not.

The bigger problem with I4H are that the shortlist of great improvisers he brings in regularly is entirely too loving short.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tarranon posted:

what's funny is I actually agree with almost all of the negative stuff people have to say about the show in their ehhh wrong segments, but whereas they think those things make the show bad, I'm all about them.

I get the joke, it was funny at first, but it's just the same thing over and over again. After the Nth time Sean and Hayes mispronounce a famous name or misunderstand a guest it just gets a bit tedious.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

I get the joke, it was funny at first, but it's just the same thing over and over again. After the Nth time Sean and Hayes mispronounce a famous name or misunderstand a guest it just gets a bit tedious.
I disagree.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm just surprised that Pistol Shrimps Radio doesn't get the same reaction as Hollywood Handbook when people start it, they feel similarly inaccessible to me. Maybe because PSR isn't really hyped because it's so "small" and just seems like a throwaway goofy time - and only Superego fans have bothered listening - while HH is touted as the greatest thing ever.

Though I do feel like I've started to get into HH, thanks to a couple of guests I enjoy on other shows playing along well. But Reality Show Show just isn't for me - I just don't have enough of a cultural understanding of reality TV to know what sandbox they're playing in (and kicking over).

cams
Mar 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I'm just surprised that Pistol Shrimps Radio doesn't get the same reaction as Hollywood Handbook when people start it, they feel similarly inaccessible to me. Maybe because PSR isn't really hyped because it's so "small" and just seems like a throwaway goofy time - and only Superego fans have bothered listening - while HH is touted as the greatest thing ever.

Though I do feel like I've started to get into HH, thanks to a couple of guests I enjoy on other shows playing along well. But Reality Show Show just isn't for me - I just don't have enough of a cultural understanding of reality TV to know what sandbox they're playing in (and kicking over).
I also disagree with this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The bit I remember most readily from RSS is when they make fun of how they kept bringing up the Nokia phone and it's full list of features on the Voice that one time. They even made a joke about it later on HH I believe. What I'm saying is I don't think that's an inaccessible joke, but I don't mind people not engaging with the boys.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

GobiasIndustries posted:

Today's I4H was pretty entertaining, but man alive, that audience member...how does someone learn to make those noises when laughing?

This guy sucked.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
The latest I was there too with Paul Scheer is a must listen. Holy poo poo

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

cams posted:

Pretty much this, I've been singing its praises on other places and it's generally a hit or miss, when if it's a miss people just won't vibe with it.

It's probably similar to Ronna & Beverly for me. They might have great bits and chemistry but I just personally do not at all like the gimmick of old jewish ladies/mother in-law stereotype and I can't get past that to enjoy the show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hollywood H is odd, because the humor is Hayes and Sean loving with each other and the engineer, not really the celeb namedrops. It has a lot words not there.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Besson posted:

The latest I was there too with Paul Scheer is a must listen. Holy poo poo

Thanks for this. Holy poo poo indeed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Thanks for this. Holy poo poo indeed.

Every episode of I was there too is great, Matt Gourley is just a pleasure to listen to. He really captures the fun exciting part of being in movies/hollywood that you don't hear about too often anymore.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

UP AND ADAM posted:

The bit I remember most readily from RSS is when they make fun of how they kept bringing up the Nokia phone and it's full list of features on the Voice that one time. They even made a joke about it later on HH I believe. What I'm saying is I don't think that's an inaccessible joke, but I don't mind people not engaging with the boys.

The best RSS bit is in the penultimate episode with Gabrus, when they drop the facade during the interview:

Hayes: We talk about Aziz, and say things are scary...It's a real crutch for us.
Sean: Yeah, we just wrap up the discussion of every show by being like "...But we won't be watching again, because it's too scary."
Hayes: Uhh...we should stop doing that.
Sean: I dunno, I like it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

JethroMcB posted:

The best RSS bit is in the penultimate episode with Gabrus, when they drop the facade during the interview:

Hayes: We talk about Aziz, and say things are scary...It's a real crutch for us.
Sean: Yeah, we just wrap up the discussion of every show by being like "...But we won't be watching again, because it's too scary."
Hayes: Uhh...we should stop doing that.
Sean: I dunno, I like it.
It was like seeing the constitution being written

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the Bachelor Pad 3 bit the best. It somehow perfectly blends NPR parody, Benghazi, and the greatest moment in television history ever.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you haven't listened to With Special Guest in a while, the live one from podfest is a must.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If you haven't listened to With Special Guest in a while, the live one from podfest is a must.
Yup, I came here to post a White Horses WSG alert.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Is that a premie episode? It's not showing up on my feed.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Tarranon posted:

Is that a premie episode? It's not showing up on my feed.

As far as I can tell, it hasn't gone up on iTunes yet, but it's there at the Earwolf site.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

ElCondemn posted:

Every episode of I was there too is great, Matt Gourley is just a pleasure to listen to. He really captures the fun exciting part of being in movies/hollywood that you don't hear about too often anymore.

Except the Scheer episode. That job sounded like the opposite of fun.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Besson posted:

Except the Scheer episode. That job sounded like the opposite of fun.

The job itself may have sucked, but it was one day and he got paid. Plus he seemed really excited to have been able to have a conversation with Eddie Murphy, one of his idols. Regardless of how "fun" the actual job was, I meant it's "fun" to hear real "show biz" stories. You don't really hear stories like these very often, every so often you hear one on a podcast or in an interview on TV, but this show is just all these kinds of stories. I really enjoy it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Matt Gourley is also just super charming as a host. He seems genuinely excited and interested in everyone's story and it's infectious.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I Was There Too is definitely one of my favorite podcasts, maybe even my favorite Gourley podcast, which is saying a lot. I've always been surprised that it never gets mentioned when the topic of hilarious ad reads comes up, because it's the one show where I never skip the ads and the recent Mack Weldon ads are on another level. I was going to make a crack when the show was first starting like "Wonder how long it'll be before this podcast starts going months between episodes..." and unfortunately that time is drawing near, but it maintained consistent updates much longer than I'd expected.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Fiendly posted:

I Was There Too is definitely one of my favorite podcasts, maybe even my favorite Gourley podcast, which is saying a lot. I've always been surprised that it never gets mentioned when the topic of hilarious ad reads comes up, because it's the one show where I never skip the ads and the recent Mack Weldon ads are on another level. I was going to make a crack when the show was first starting like "Wonder how long it'll be before this podcast starts going months between episodes..." and unfortunately that time is drawing near, but it maintained consistent updates much longer than I'd expected.

His glee of being allowed to revel in swears and his throwing out just the first word combinations that come to mind is such a delight.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

Fiendly posted:

I was going to make a crack when the show was first starting like "Wonder how long it'll be before this podcast starts going months between episodes..." and unfortunately that time is drawing near, but it maintained consistent updates much longer than I'd expected.

Is there confirmation of this? I usually skip the house cleaning stuff.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah he said he was going to take a break for a few months starting November.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Besson posted:

Is there confirmation of this? I usually skip the house cleaning stuff.

Latest ep.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Gotta make time for those Pistol Shrimps games!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hollywood Handbook continues to be the best podcast.

Nip/Tuck seems super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more I use the howl app, the more I realize it is a poorly encoded piece of poo poo. What an awful app for such an important service...