Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

LeeMajors posted:

You're acting like gun control advocates are in favor of gun bans in a vacuum. We almost universally support improved healthcare (including mental health, as in single-payer, max accessibility healthcare) and social programs (minimizing the deplorable conditions of poverty).

So saying :colbert: "well, you need to address all the problems of gun violence" :colbert: is really dumb because almost all of us are politically inclined to improve on all those societal ills.

No, I said you can't distill Gun Prollems down to one secret flaw in American society right after some guy claimed he had stumped the thread by pointing out Reagan shut down all the mental hospitals. I have absolutely no idea why you think that was directed at you personally, famed character actor Lee Majors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maarek posted:

That's definitely not what I said and I don't know how you'd take that from my post unless you're just spoiling to argue over nothing.

Or we could fix all of those things and not pretend there's a silver bullet (heh) that can fix a serious problem in the USA.

Nobody said there was except you. You're bad at communicating and then project that unto others. Please look into fixing this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Another Person posted:

Hey US,

Stop shooting people at school,

signed, UK.

Hey UK

Stop loving dead pigs

signed, US

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Iron Twinkie posted:

Can't wait for talking heads to all agree that consumers are just being lazy.

Edit- basically this rant from the WSJ back from June.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/06/02/grand-central-a-letter-to-stingy-american-consumers

Hahaha holy gently caress is this real? It's like "Luck Duckies" all over again

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Nobody said there was except you. You're bad at communicating and then project that unto others. Please look into fixing this.

His Purple Majesty posted:

Riddle me this D&D, why is it that when we had looser restrictions on gun ownership and a functioning mental health system we had fewer mass shooters?

Maarek posted:

We could stop every spree shooter in the country and we'd still have thousands of gun murders every year in this country. You can't distill our violence problem down to 'one weird trick', it's a melange of ridiculously lax gun regulation, mental health care, and poverty. A solution that stopped spree shooters might have little to no effect on 'normal' gun murders and vice versa.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LeeMajors posted:

No, but see I'm John loving Wayne because I'm really good at shooting stationary paper targets at a leisurely pace in a controlled environment with eye and ear protection.

Joke's on you, almost nobody I've ever seen at a gun range in the last 15 years or so is any good at hitting a stationary paper target with a handgun at 7 yards. Almost all gun owners are terrifyingly bad shots with a pistol even in ideal conditions at anything but contact range. In real life danger situations they're all blowing their own hands and feet off. And those are the ones that even bother to practice.

I like owning a gun and shooting paper targets but holy poo poo almost all gun owners are grotesquely inept, please regulate the gently caress out of all guns forever.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey UK

Stop loving dead pigs

signed, US

only the super rich and desparate to make friends do that

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Mods please change my name to Nanny State Authoritarian.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Update on the Kim Davis-Pope Francis meeting from a few pages ago: Vatican explicitly states that the Pope's meeting is not an endorsement.

quote:

"The brief meeting between Mrs. Kim Davis and Pope Francis at the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington, DC has continued to provoke comments and discussion. In order to contribute to an objective understanding of what transpired I am able to clarify the following points: Pope Francis met with several dozen persons who had been invited by the Nunciature to greet him as he prepared to leave Washington for New York City," said Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi in a statement on the pope's encounter with Davis, who has refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses in her rural Kentucky county.
Story Continued Below

"Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the Pope’s characteristic kindness and availability. The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family," Lombardi explained. "The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects."

The whole situation has been really odd from the beginning. The Vatican's initial refusal to confirm or deny the meeting is extremely unusual because the institution is always very straightforward about who it meets with. It suggests that the Vatican genuinely didn't know if Davis had met with the Pope and how she got in the Nunciature. These new details also reveal that Davis's lawyers have been exaggerating how significant the meeting was.

It's probably not a grand conspiracy, but someone severely abused their authority for political gain.

EDIT: Apparently, the Vatican is having difficulty finding who invited Davis to the meeting.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 2, 2015

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

You'd think that if guns were so clearly appealing, at least a majority of Americans would own guns, if not a supermajority.

The gun industry's current sales strategy is basically the same as that of the anime industry: sell a ridiculous number of product to a shrinking number of people who buy for a sense of community more than anything else.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There was a shooting in Australia so look forward to "how's that gun control working out for Australia?" in response to Oregon.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

There was a shooting in Australia so look forward to "how's that gun control working out for Australia?" in response to Oregon.

Here's where the comparison breaks down

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hhhat posted:

Here's where the comparison breaks down

Didn't you know? If any measure taken to stop shootings that involves taking away gun rights isn't 100% successful, we must dismiss it as a bad idea.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Lol, they report on individual shootings in Australia? Let me know when they get a 5+ kill going.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

QuoProQuid posted:

Update on the Kim Davis-Pope Francis meeting from a few pages ago: Vatican explicitly states that the Pope's meeting is not an endorsement.

The whole situation has been really odd from the beginning. The Vatican's initial refusal to confirm or deny the meeting is extremely unusual because the institution is always very straightforward about who it meets with. It suggests that the Vatican genuinely didn't know if Davis had met with the Pope and how she got in the Nunciature. These new details also reveal that Davis's lawyers have been exaggerating how significant the meeting was.

It's probably not a grand conspiracy, but someone severely abused their authority for political gain.

This whole thing is like that time your buddy went out with that weird girl and immediately starts playing it down hard while she runs around telling everyone about her new boyfriend.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Doccers posted:

I'm of the belief that the single most effective piece of legislation we could introduce would be adding handguns to the NFA registry. However as a political reality, you'd have to write in some quid-pro-quo's to appease the more right-wing on the issue and assure them it's not just a plan to eventually close the registry or confiscate them once registered. Something like removing the LEO signoff requirement (many LEO's refuse to sign any NFA items no matter what, many only sign off for their friends and donors, or reserve them for political favors), and re-opening the closed registry, would probably be enough, and neither would have an impact in weapons being misused. (NFA items simply aren't used for crimes, people who take the time and effort to jump through the hoops etc etc, and people have been bypassing LEO sign-offs with trusts for decades, again, people who take the time to jump through legal hoops aren't the type to go on a spree killing or get involved with gang warfare).

This wouldn't even violate the Heller decision, and would very strictly control handguns, which are the vast majority of misused firearms. (Violation of NFA stuff is a FEDERAL offense).

I like this idea, and I've often thought reopening the registry and changing the signoff might be a big enough carrot to overcome the poisoning of the well that's happened with registries. But I don't know that doing it just with handguns leads to a stable legislative outcome. If spree killings continue at reduced frequency with other non-NFA firearms, it might just wind up throwing gasoline on the culture wars fire, given that it's this particular kind of tragedy that's the political driver for change. That's not an argument against it. But as long as we're daydreaming about productive compromise, I think any sweeping change would need to somehow specifically address that kind of gun violence. Otherwise both sides can assume that whatever idea is implemented will be subject to later change. Which is a big part of why the compromise isn't happening in the first place.

I also wouldn't necessarily assume that approach to be safe from the current Supreme Court, given that it was grounded in an individual right to self defense. To the extent the Court is going to recognize it, NFA compliance is one heck of a burden on that. I mean, the wait time alone would be a dream come true for gun control advocates. I don't think that's a deal breaker, since background checks are an area where there's possible give and take. (And eventually that court composition is going to change.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dear American Consumer,

This is The Wall Street Journal. We’re writing to ask if something is bothering you.

The sun shined in April and you didn’t spend much money. The Commerce Department here in Washington says your spending didn’t increase at all adjusted for inflation last month compared to March. You appear to have mostly stayed home and watched television in December, January and February as well. We thought you would be out of your winter doldrums by now, but we don’t see much evidence that this is the case.

You have been saving more too. You socked away 5.6% of your income in April after taxes, even more than in March. This saving is not like you. What’s up?

We know you experienced a terrible shock when Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008 and your employer responded by firing you. We know stock prices collapsed and that was shocking too. We also know you shouldn’t have taken out that large second mortgage during the housing boom to fix up your kitchen with granite countertops. You’ve been working very hard to pay off this debt and we admire your fortitude. But these shocks seem like a long time ago to us in a newsroom. Is that still what’s holding you back?

Do you know the American economy is counting on you? We can’t count on the rest of the world to spend money on our stuff. The rest of the world is in an even worse mood than you are. You should feel lucky you’re not a Greek consumer. And China, well they’re truly struggling there just to reach the very modest goal of 7% growth.

The Federal Reserve is counting on you too. Fed officials want to start raising the cost of your borrowing because they worry they’ve been giving you a free ride for too long with zero interest rates. We listen to Fed officials all of the time here at The Wall Street Journal, and they just can’t figure you out.

Please let us know the problem. You can reach us at any of the emails below.

Sincerely,

The Wall Street Journal’s Central Bank Team

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

point of return posted:

The gun industry's current sales strategy is basically the same as that of the anime industry: sell a ridiculous number of product to a shrinking number of people who buy for a sense of community more than anything else.
US gun manufacturers are in a similar position today to the one US auto manufacturers were in the 1970s. They have a long history of innovation that, frankly speaking, ended years ago and now they make overpriced garbage. They only keep their market by colluding with gun control lobbyists to enact ridiculous protectionist trade measures. If the barriers to imports came down Eastern Europe would put them all out of business in a year.

On a side note the current funniest thing going on in the firearms industry is Sig Sauer trolling the ATF. If you're aware of current gun regulations the whole Sig brace/compensator fiasco cannot fail to make you chuckle.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 2, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Didn't you know? If any measure taken to stop shootings that involves taking away gun rights isn't 100% successful, we must dismiss it as a bad idea.

This is the same reason I never brush my teeth

I got a cavity once

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dear American Consumer,

This is The Wall Street Journal. We’re writing to ask if something is bothering you.

The sun shined in April and you didn’t spend much money. The Commerce Department here in Washington says your spending didn’t increase at all adjusted for inflation last month compared to March. You appear to have mostly stayed home and watched television in December, January and February as well. We thought you would be out of your winter doldrums by now, but we don’t see much evidence that this is the case.

You have been saving more too. You socked away 5.6% of your income in April after taxes, even more than in March. This saving is not like you. What’s up?

We know you experienced a terrible shock when Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008 and your employer responded by firing you. We know stock prices collapsed and that was shocking too. We also know you shouldn’t have taken out that large second mortgage during the housing boom to fix up your kitchen with granite countertops. You’ve been working very hard to pay off this debt and we admire your fortitude. But these shocks seem like a long time ago to us in a newsroom. Is that still what’s holding you back?

Do you know the American economy is counting on you? We can’t count on the rest of the world to spend money on our stuff. The rest of the world is in an even worse mood than you are. You should feel lucky you’re not a Greek consumer. And China, well they’re truly struggling there just to reach the very modest goal of 7% growth.

The Federal Reserve is counting on you too. Fed officials want to start raising the cost of your borrowing because they worry they’ve been giving you a free ride for too long with zero interest rates. We listen to Fed officials all of the time here at The Wall Street Journal, and they just can’t figure you out.

Please let us know the problem. You can reach us at any of the emails below.

Sincerely,

The Wall Street Journal’s Central Bank Team

Holy poo poo.

Man, I'm starting to wish Mercer walked into the WSJ's offices instead of that college campus.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Thump! posted:

Lol, they report on individual shootings in Australia? Let me know when they get a 5+ kill going.

There was a really high profile story about a shooting in South Africa a while back but it didn't have any legs

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Haha gently caress CNN forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5U_XD4kDJ4

Not so much for what they did, but for how they did it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Yeah, one murder is the same as tens of thousands every year.

You really are this stupid aren't you?

E: "Wanting to disarm or prevent people from having the means to defend themselves is a bad thing and any "leftist" that supports such a thing should be looked at carefully"

Don't answer that question, there's no need.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 2, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

Holy poo poo.

Man, I'm starting to wish Mercer walked into the WSJ's offices instead of that college campus.

The only problem with all the mass shooters we have in this country is that they're idiot cowards who never target the people who genuinely deserve to die.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maarek posted:

quote:

Duke Igthorn posted:

quote:

Riddle me this D&D, why is it that when we had looser restrictions on gun ownership and a functioning mental health system we had fewer mass shooters?

quote:

Maarek posted:
We could stop every spree shooter in the country and we'd still have thousands of gun murders every year in this country. You can't distill our violence problem down to 'one weird trick', it's a melange of ridiculously lax gun regulation, mental health care, and poverty. A solution that stopped spree shooters might have little to no effect on 'normal' gun murders and vice versa.
"If we improved the mental health system we'd have FEWER mass shootings."
"Duh, there is no 'one weird trick' to cure all of society's ills!!!"
You're bad at communication AND comprehension. Please look into this.
Your posts are useless white noise; people are discussing their personal theories and solutions and you're running around with your rear end hanging out screaming "OMG guys that won't solve every problem!!!!!" as if that mattered or anyone cared.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

On a side note the current funniest thing going on in the firearms industry is Sig Sauer trolling the ATF. If you're aware of current gun regulations the whole Sig brace/compensator fiasco cannot fail to make you chuckle.

Can you briefly explain this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How are u posted:

The only problem with all the mass shooters we have in this country is that they're idiot cowards who never target the people who genuinely deserve to die.

Right wingers feel university students need to die. hth

i also dont give much of a gently caress to just say it, every spree shooter is some conservative fuckwad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

point of return posted:

Sounds pretty legit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the story behind this.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Haha gently caress CNN forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5U_XD4kDJ4

Not so much for what they did, but for how they did it.

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

We're devolving into magical and superstitious thinking.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

Can you briefly explain this?

American gun laws are a total mess. They are often technically-focused, but written by people who don't actually know anything about guns. Which leads to a lot of weird vagueness and the ATF basically having to make poo poo up as they go along.

Short-barreled rifles and rifle-derived pistols, despite being functionally and mechanically identical, are two very different things according to the ATF and loving around with them can land you in felony territory. So basically, If I take the stock off my AR rifle and put it on my AR pistol I have committed two felonies despite now having, mechanically speaking, the same two guns I started with.

So Sig Sauer made a "brace" that attaches to the end of the gun where a stock on a rifle would go, and then straps to the user's arm for added stability when shooting a big, dumb, heavy rifle-derived pistol. It looked like a stock, and if you were so inclined, functioned like a lovely stock. The ATF decided it wasn't a stock. Then later decided that it was a stock and everyone who bought one is a felon now. Sig sued them, much comedy was had.

After that ran its course Sig introduced a "compensator" that that sure looks a lot like the internal baffles of a sound suppressor without the external case. The ATF, now wise to Sig's tomfoolery, immediately declared it to be a sound suppressor despite the fact that it doesn't suppress any sound, and if anything, makes the gun louder. Sig is suing them again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Minorities in Britain have no access to guns so they commit their murders in more scary ways. Also that guy beheaded a Royal Marine, and I could be wrong, but islamophobia became very much the cool thing in gbs after that event.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah, one murder is the same as tens of thousands every year.

You really are this stupid aren't you?

E: "Wanting to disarm or prevent people from having the means to defend themselves is a bad thing and any "leftist" that supports such a thing should be looked at carefully"

Don't answer that question, there's no need.

So I'm the stupid one for not wanting to totally depend on our half trained police 24/7. Got it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Wouldn't it be easier at this point to regulate ammunition instead of guns? We already have laws about stockpiling fertilizer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

We're devolving into magical and superstitious thinking.

What good does knowing the name of the guy who did it do for anyone unless he wasn't some nobody? All it does is show someone else "if you kill a bunch of people, you'll be on TV for weeks!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Job Truniht posted:

Wouldn't it be easier at this point to regulate ammunition instead of guns? We already have laws about stockpiling fertilizer.
The problem there is that a reasonable amount of ammunition for a murder is significantly less than a reasonable amount of ammunition for basically anything else you could ever want to do with a gun.

So really unless you mean "ban bullets" there's no practical effect to regulating how much ammo anyone can have.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

So I'm the stupid one for not wanting to totally depend on our half trained police 24/7. Got it.

Yeah instead you seem to favor people with no required training and a much less defined set of legal duties/responsibilities firing away at the drop of a hat.

So yes, stupid is the appropriate word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah instead you seem to favor people with no required training and a much less defined set of legal duties/responsibilities firing away at the drop of a hat.

So yes, stupid is the appropriate word.

The idea is that everybody be armed, and the moment a black guy does something shifty you can put him down instantly, as all gun owners who practice are revolver ocelot level shooters.

• Locked thread