Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I got rid of my psycho candycanes because I was sick of getting bitten. They went to someone who wanted to get bitten all the time and really loved their patterns. Every single candycane I came across (except for the 2001 I ended up with until she passed earlier this year, good girl Mabel snake) has been a total fuckhead and I'm really displeased about that. I love the pattern but I like dumbass snakes that just want to chill. Not bite me all the time.

I had a friend hold Harley down this morning (gently). I measured her and she's over 5'10" for sure. Which means my (almost 10 year old) corn snake is now longer than I am tall and likely is done going to younger grades because that size is pretty intimidating. Joker is only 5'3" but he's a year younger, so maybe he'll catch up some day. My hypo lavender still refuses all things with fur so I guess she's getting hairless mice when we move, though at least I'm keeping her a healthy weight. My caramel is getting fat. My tessera is probably going to move up to a larger enclosure soon. My pied bloodred and tequila sunrise didn't bite me this week, which is a first. My coral snow still hasn't sold because it's a male (not that I mind, he's so pink and he's so friendly). And my itty bitty butter worm is pounding two pinks at a time and finally is about the width of two pipecleaners. :3: And she's a total sweetheart. She's not going to schools any time soon simply because she's too tiny and too delicate, but I look forward to taking her.

On the cresteds side, I only have a few more to sell before I'm out of them. I love'em to death but it's just not safe to transport them across the entire us in the dead of winter. The corns can handle the heater on and going a few days in a bag. The cresteds hated it last time and I'm not gonna put them through it.

I'm gonna miss my mouse dude up here. He's so drat nice and his product is so clean. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Yeah I hate it when mouse dealers cut their product.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Favorite Foods of my BTS: Anything it can fit in its fat mouth and sometimes my fingers instead of the blueberry or strawberry sitting in my palm.

Edit: I need to get a bigger tub/figure out how they're escaping because I am tired of being woken up by adult male Dubias on a pussy hunt. I think I fixed the escape route already and these are just ones still in hiding, but I'm going to move to a bigger tub anyway.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 16, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Oh! The russian torts were probably like 8" long. The red foots were huuuuuge tho. Very cool. As apology for missing your question here is a frug

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
A goon who works at a rescue in this thread mentions what animals they take in at the end of every month. So, while looking for my first reptile friend, I contacted our local reptile rescue. After weeks of research and waiting, my 6 year old tailless grumpy crested gecko will be here tomorrow. He was abandoned after his original owner went away to university and the parent didn't really take care of it - it looks like he may be missing at least one toe. He's clear from MBD and parasites, which is wonderful, but is overall not a happy guy because of neglect

Here's his highness's set up:

Pea gravel drainage (until I can replace with hydroballs), a wire mesh, eco earth with some earthworm who have been living in there for a week now and are doing fine, cork hide, bamboo climb, spaghnum moss in between the two live plants (a cronton and a spider plant), a fake vine until I can replace it with a more stable pothos, and a neat little bamboo raft that's suction cupped to the side to act as a feeding platform. Isopods will be introduced shortly.

Temperature is great, but I'll be picking up a undertank heater for the winter months just in case (In Vancouver BC here, so it's pretty mild). The only problem I forsee is humidity - the current set up has been up for a week and, with very minimal spraying (a couple of squirts once a night), it hits 90% and stays like that well into the morning. It drops to the low 80s in the afternoon. I underestimated how humid the Pacific Northwest is, I guess - the base humidity in my house is in the low 50s. My tank has an extra screen mesh along one of the sides for extra air flow, but I guess it's not helping as much as I thought it would.

So TLDR: I've read that 80% is the top humidity for cresties, but my tank reaches 90% with minimal effort. Any tips to getting the humidity down to a reasonable level?

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 18, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Snek is clearly dead please move on

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm so glad you looked into your local reptile rescue!! <3 Since you just set everything up, I bet in a day or two the humidity will be lower. Stirring up all that damp dirt has that effect for a couple of days.

I did a bad thing. I went to a reptile show and got some stuff. Pinky pump/probe kit, ruthveni, and a longnose. The longnose is a bug eater right now. I'm really excited to get to try working with them. Once he's a little bigger he'll eat lizards and hopefully mice. I just gave him a smorgasbord of crawly things, hopefully he'll eat a couple.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I don't know what that stuff is but that's a bond villain post right there

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Ireland Sucks posted:

I don't know what that stuff is but that's a bond villain post right there

If you knew what it was you would probably have the same opinion.

The syringe is for force-feeding mashed up mice to snakes and the probes are for... probing.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Nacho Cheese the rescued crested gecko is officially home. Silver Nitrate, you were right - the humidity settled right down after a couple of days.

Here's pictures of our new friend. He seems a little under weight to me? I haven't checked his calcium either (haven't handled him at all - that will have to wait for at least a week), but he was adventuring around his first night and he ate in front of us. Yay!

I took some pictures of the expo I picked him up at - I'll have to post those later (spoiler: a lot of giant geckos were involved)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That is a cool gecko!

Okay, I have two questions and one is dumb af.

Firstly: what are you guys measuring humidity with. Is there something like my laser thermometer? My tank is showing 20% humidity when, not only is Spaghetti's bark still at, but I can see some accumulations v of water onto of his hides and even on the bottom of his tank.

The stupid question is: do... Do they make snake leashes? Like I don't even know how that would work on a creature without limbs, but I'd love to take him for a walk when it warms back up next year. Or, you know, a slither.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soonmot posted:

That is a cool gecko!

Okay, I have two questions and one is dumb af.

Firstly: what are you guys measuring humidity with. Is there something like my laser thermometer? My tank is showing 20% humidity when, not only is Spaghetti's bark still at, but I can see some accumulations v of water onto of his hides and even on the bottom of his tank.

The stupid question is: do... Do they make snake leashes? Like I don't even know how that would work on a creature without limbs, but I'd love to take him for a walk when it warms back up next year. Or, you know, a slither.

I just use the cheap stick on tank humidity gauges but then I don't have anything that needs super accurate humidity. If the snake is shedding in one piece then humidity is fine.

They make lizard leashes/ harnesses but not snakes. It wouldn't work because anything you could get around them they can squeeze out of.

Snakes aren't smart enough to go on a walk - there would be no way to tell them where you want them to go. You would end up just dragging it along.

Some people let their snakes out in the yard for exercise, but if you do make sure it's in an area that hasn't been sprayed with fertilizers or pesticides. You have to watch them good as well so they don't get into anything, escape or climb into a tree and out of reach.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Well, ended up keeping 3 of the 4 albino ball babies that are now a year old. The smallest male I gave to a friend (she does animal shows at birthday parties/kid hospitals and had only a single corn snake. So because I gave her the albino she happily took my other surprise babies, 3 normal/pastels and a spider. Her kids, who have grown up with exotics like hornbills and emus and all kinds of cool animals freaked the gently caress OUT about the snakes and all claimed one for their own.) so we're left with Saul, Tuco, and Pinkman.

My champagne female Jane is still too young to breed. I don't even know what a good combo would be, the adult males are albino or pastel and the breeder I got her from was new to the strain.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saul, Tuco and Pinkman sounds like one hell of a party.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It's starting to get dark earlier and earlier here as I'm pretty far north. I decided to give my leopard geckos a low output UVB lamp yesterday to help them keep a better day/night schedule. They are super active tonight now that it's off. What gives?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I can't help you there, my Leopard is pretty lazy and mostly naps in one of her hides day and night. Then again she is a rescue so I have no idea how old she is and as much as she has improved she isn't exactly the healthiest what with having basically no toes.

Also holy poo poo Skinks grow super fast.

Little over a month ago.

Today

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Leos are nocturnal so I don't think they even need UVB. A standard heat light should be fine. gently caress, I had my breeding colony for years with a single red heat light that often incubated hidden eggs in their nest box.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Leos are nocturnal so I don't think they even need UVB. A standard heat light should be fine. gently caress, I had my breeding colony for years with a single red heat light that often incubated hidden eggs in their nest box.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Our green anole seems to be having trouble shedding. Never had a problem before but she's been like this for a couple days despite me misting twice a day, sometimes directly on her. She's still eating and moving fine. Anything I can do or will she eventually work it out?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Put a tupperware with damp sphagnum moss in her cage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

Our green anole seems to be having trouble shedding. Never had a problem before but she's been like this for a couple days despite me misting twice a day, sometimes directly on her. She's still eating and moving fine. Anything I can do or will she eventually work it out?

Silver already knows, but my Spaghetti did his first shed for me last night. So proud of my little guy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Silver already knows, but my Spaghetti did his first shed for me last night. So proud of my little guy!

At first I thought that was a shed that split along the back and I was giving it the weirdest look. No, you just have a teeny tiny baby corn.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

At first I thought that was a shed that split along the back and I was giving it the weirdest look. No, you just have a teeny tiny baby corn.

He's almost as long as the short side of the tank!

Yup, he's a snaby. I am sucha dork over this little guy.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Pictures of my very first reptile show in Abbotsford, BC - it's the first of it's kind in the area and will probably grow in the next couple years. This year was pretty small, though.

A super placid Leach's (he's a breeder who's paired with a lovely girl with pink spots)

Find the Leachie baby :3:

A baby gargoyle that almost came home with me

These two were apply named Statler and Waldorf

Could anyone ID this little guy for me?

Meanwhile, Nacho Cheese the rescued gecko is doing a-okay! He comes out every night at 9 o'clock to stare intensely at my husband and I while we watch TV.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your question mark looks like a little woma python.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
What is the least cruel way to dispatch 50 anoles so I can freeze them for feeders?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

PezMaster posted:

A baby gargoyle that almost came home with me

Looks tailor-made as an RPG pet, one who rides around on its owner's hat and says either terribly cute or incredibly raunchy things.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

What is the least cruel way to dispatch 50 anoles so I can freeze them for feeders?

CO2? They're probably too fast and hard to hold to pith them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also pithing 50 lizards one by one sounds awful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

An incredibly tiny broomstick.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

PezMaster posted:

Pictures of my very first reptile show in Abbotsford, BC - it's the first of it's kind in the area and will probably grow in the next couple years. This year was pretty small, though.

A super placid Leach's (he's a breeder who's paired with a lovely girl with pink spots)

Goddamn leachies have the most ridiculous faces. :kimchi:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

We just got our first snake :toot:

Sorry for the lovely picture quality, took it through the glass with my phone.

We'd been discussing getting a snake for a while, ended up moving up the timeline when we found out another family in our city needed to find a new home for their 7yo ball python. Adopted him(?) just as he was starting a shed, he spent the entire first week in his hide shedding and sulking. Offered him a rat last sunday and he snapped it out of midair and chowed the gently caress down, and ever since he's been peeking out in the mornings and evenings, so I think he's starting to calm down and settle in. Haven't had a chance to handle him since the move, though. He still seems a bit skittish and won't come completely out of the hide, at least not while we're awake.

At the moment he's just in a 70gal aquarium with two hides, some decor, a UTH, and an RHP; longer term we're planning to get a nice front-opening terrarium and set it up as a vivarium.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Khizan posted:

Also pithing 50 lizards one by one sounds awful.

Yeah this was my thought exactly. Fortunately, the guy who's selling them was quite happy to gas and freeze them for me so, crisis averted. I could probably kill that many lizards but it would, like, gently caress me up for a while if I had to do it one-by-one by hand.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This month's surrenders:

Two ball pythons - male pastel, female pinstripe, two common boas, blood-red adult corn, twelve August hatchlings corns - some are not eating, two savannah monitors - both overweight, ever more red-eared sliders + painted turtles, a box turtle, a 52lb sulcata, two soft shelled turtles, and a baby alligator.

Plus we still have bearded dragons, ball pythons, and an iguana or two. It never ends.

I want to give one hell of a shout out to people that get reptiles from rescues. Ya'll are awesome. :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sort of surprised your local reptile pet stores don't just show up, adopt them all en-masse, and then make bank reselling them. Some of the animals you list are pretty expensive.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
And good on people for actually using rescues. Someone dumped 3 sliders into the pond by me a few years ago. Now I've seen a giant female and a tiny baby, but zero evidence of the other 2.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sort of surprised your local reptile pet stores don't just show up, adopt them all en-masse, and then make bank reselling them. Some of the animals you list are pretty expensive.

We know who they are and that wouldn't fly. That said, people are allowed to breed and/or sell the animals we adopt. Full ownership and all that. Now if someone was adopting animals and reselling them right away for profit, we would find out about it and just not adopt any more animals to them. It has happened before but the reptile community is pretty small and they only managed to do it one time. :v:

Also, I now have a gulf coast box turtle. I'm going to call him Bernie. He was a stow away on a semi load coming from Florida. Turtle bros - any first time turtle owner tips?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
If there was a reptile rescue around here, that I knew about I'd totally volunteer and adopt from there. Best I know is occasionally a Ball python might show up on pet finder once a year, so I volunteer with cats instead.

I've told the tale of my Leopard Gecko sorta, but she is pretty much a rescue. I bought this giant 2ft cube of a tank that I was going to use to house my Tokay and eventual mate when I get around to it. $40 came with stand. Awesome. Also came with leopard gecko.

The story was they had 3 at one point together in there and apparently at some point once they reached adulthood 2 started fighting and one killed the other. Probably males and all. Then the other one died. Leaving the lone female survivor. The tank was disgusting. Had like 20lbs of nasty smelling sand full of poo poo and dead crickets and a poor cold gecko who couldn't see since she had like 3-4 layers of stuck shed on her eyes.

It sucked getting that into the car cuz I didn't bring help since I figured the dude would help me load it. Turns out he was in a wheel chair and I have a couple slipped discs. So that was a bitch to load into the car. Eventually got it home. Wouldn't take it into the house until I bleached the gently caress out of it.

Princess as she kinda just picked up as a name over time was in pretty rough shape. Missing all her toes, stuck shed everywhere. Her adult weight when I got her was like 35g. Surprisingly MBD isn't nearly as bad as you would expect. She is obviously a little wonky, but no deformed limbs or back kinks or anything.

Lots of soaking, food and tlc and she has bounced back pretty well. Took 2 or 3 sheds, but I finally got all the skin off her eyes which were in great shape. No infection, no cloudiness. Her vision isn't the greatest, but it is obvious that she can see again. Gets around really well for someone with no toes and I think the last time I weighed her, she was at nice healthy 65g. She occasionally has trouble with getting shed stuck on her mostly nonexistant toes, so I always take a look at her a after a shed to double check how she did, but I don't think I've actually had to help in over a year.

A bitch to get any calcium/vit powder in her, though. She, along with myself, hates the smell of Rep-Cal and if I put a bit too much on the roach she will completely refuse to eat it.

No toes :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Also, I now have a gulf coast box turtle. I'm going to call him Bernie. He was a stow away on a semi load coming from Florida. Turtle bros - any first time turtle owner tips?

Find a big ripe strawberry and take pics as he eats it? Get some chicken wire and stakes and dig a trench about a foot down to make an outside enclosure so he can hang out in the sun? Build a turtle table if you're feeling ambitious? It's been years since I had my WC Eastern Box Turtles, but they are pretty easy from what little I remember. Guessing your guy is probably similar but might need more water or higher humidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Speaking of rescues, I found two things out about Nacho Cheese

1) He was super dehydrated - a couple of trips to the gecko sauna helped this out

2) I don't think he has ever encountered insects? I tried a couple of crickets dipped in repashy calcium offered with tweezers, but Nacho was not having any of it. I even tried a "Thunderdome" type situation (1 gecko and 1 cricket enter, only one will exit) and he was more interested in jumping out than chasing down bugs.

I know he doesn't need to eat crickets because he's on Pangea, but it would be a nice treat every now and again for the sake of variety - any advice?

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 3, 2015