Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah US anti-trust law is pretty much based on preventing direct consumer harm. selling cheap ebooks is actually pretty awesome for people buying ebooks.

banning sales of a product expressly because it competes with a floundering product of their own not so much.

amazon is no where near a monopoly on retailers though where you could argue that it pretty close with ebooks.

there no way you could prove that Amazon banning apple poo poo actually harms apple or consumers in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
god i love the wsj

Dear American Consumer,

This is The Wall Street Journal. We’re writing to ask if something is bothering you.

The sun shined in April and you didn’t spend much money. The Commerce Department here in Washington says your spending didn’t increase at all adjusted for inflation last month compared to March. You appear to have mostly stayed home and watched television in December, January and February as well. We thought you would be out of your winter doldrums by now, but we don’t see much evidence that this is the case.

You have been saving more too. You socked away 5.6% of your income in April after taxes, even more than in March. This saving is not like you. What’s up?

We know you experienced a terrible shock when Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008 and your employer responded by firing you. We know stock prices collapsed and that was shocking too. We also know you shouldn’t have taken out that large second mortgage during the housing boom to fix up your kitchen with granite countertops. You’ve been working very hard to pay off this debt and we admire your fortitude. But these shocks seem like a long time ago to us in a newsroom. Is that still what’s holding you back?

Do you know the American economy is counting on you? We can’t count on the rest of the world to spend money on our stuff. The rest of the world is in an even worse mood than you are. You should feel lucky you’re not a Greek consumer. And China, well they’re truly struggling there just to reach the very modest goal of 7% growth.

The Federal Reserve is counting on you too. Fed officials want to start raising the cost of your borrowing because they worry they’ve been giving you a free ride for too long with zero interest rates. We listen to Fed officials all of the time here at The Wall Street Journal, and they just can’t figure you out.

Please let us know the problem. You can reach us at any of the emails below. (Editor’s Note: We asked, you answered.)

Sincerely,

The Wall Street Journal’s Central Bank Team

-By Jon Hilsenrath

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*blacks out from rage*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people who read the wsj actually get super low interest rates, assume that general consumers do as well [when it's more like 15-30%]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
breaking news top percent of the country doesn't understand the squalor the rest of it has been left to rot in

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

god i love the wsj

Dear American Consumer,

This is The Wall Street Journal. We’re writing to ask if something is bothering you.

The sun shined in April and you didn’t spend much money. The Commerce Department here in Washington says your spending didn’t increase at all adjusted for inflation last month compared to March. You appear to have mostly stayed home and watched television in December, January and February as well. We thought you would be out of your winter doldrums by now, but we don’t see much evidence that this is the case.

You have been saving more too. You socked away 5.6% of your income in April after taxes, even more than in March. This saving is not like you. What’s up?

We know you experienced a terrible shock when Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008 and your employer responded by firing you. We know stock prices collapsed and that was shocking too. We also know you shouldn’t have taken out that large second mortgage during the housing boom to fix up your kitchen with granite countertops. You’ve been working very hard to pay off this debt and we admire your fortitude. But these shocks seem like a long time ago to us in a newsroom. Is that still what’s holding you back?

Do you know the American economy is counting on you? We can’t count on the rest of the world to spend money on our stuff. The rest of the world is in an even worse mood than you are. You should feel lucky you’re not a Greek consumer. And China, well they’re truly struggling there just to reach the very modest goal of 7% growth.

The Federal Reserve is counting on you too. Fed officials want to start raising the cost of your borrowing because they worry they’ve been giving you a free ride for too long with zero interest rates. We listen to Fed officials all of the time here at The Wall Street Journal, and they just can’t figure you out.

Please let us know the problem. You can reach us at any of the emails below. (Editor’s Note: We asked, you answered.)

Sincerely,

The Wall Street Journal’s Central Bank Team

-By Jon Hilsenrath

i think there is some tongue-in-cheek-type humor happening here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

i think there is some tongue-in-cheek-type humor happening here

well yea but it's punching down

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

breaking news top percent of the country doesn't understand the squalor the rest of it has been left to rot in

one of the most infuriating conversations I've ever had was with three fancy corporate lawyers a few months ago. One of them actually worked on health care litigation, which just turned into this whole frustrating convo; it felt like explaining it to a small child. What do you mean, health resources are scarce? Surely everyone has access to everything and all human lives are treated equally, what do you mean people are dying of Hep C while there's a cure available (that costs ~50k in the US). One of them unironically ripped on Canada's awful system. Health care for everyone means long lines, and gently caress if they care people are dying, they hate lines. Have to keep your priorities straight.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

what do you mean people are dying of Hep C while there's a cure available (that costs ~50k in the US).

try $100k for one course - and some patients require two

it's so expensive that insurance won't even touch it until you start showing high enough levels of liver damage to "qualify"

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's so expensive that insurance won't even touch it until you start showing high enough levels of liver damage to "qualify"

time to start drinking then

friday afternoon, motherfuckers

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and yet, if you go to India it's a fraction of that cost. I mean, I get that drugs are expensive to develop but I know it doesn't cost them 100k for a course of pills that poo poo is ridiculous gouging. Like that rear end in a top hat hedge fund manager who bumped the price of Daraprim from 13 to 750

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well yea but it's punching down

It's really, really obviously making fun of commentators, pundits, investors, and Fed officials who have been expressing puzzlement the last six months that all their consumption forecasts have overshot the mark. It's pointing out that a shitload of people were hurt when they lost their jobs and had no savings in 2008-12, so it stands to reason that they're being more cautious now. I don't understand how you're reading this any other way.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr Dog posted:

*blacks out from rage*

how does it feel to be the rube on Facebook getting upset over an Onion article

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

and yet, if you go to India it's a fraction of that cost. I mean, I get that drugs are expensive to develop but I know it doesn't cost them 100k for a course of pills that poo poo is ridiculous gouging. Like that rear end in a top hat hedge fund manager who bumped the price of Daraprim from 13 to 750

After Sovaldi received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in December 2013, Gilead announced the drug would cost $84,000 for a 12-week course, or exactly $1,000 a pill. That’s more than double what Pharmasset, the biotech company that developed an early experimental version of the drug, initially said it planned to charge—until Gilead bought Pharmasset in 2011. For 2014, Sovaldi generated $10.3 billion in sales, making it one of the most lucrative pharmaceutical launches ever. In just the final three months of 2014, Harvoni added $2.1 billion. Gilead’s market capitalization has soared from $29 billion to $167 billion in five years. The net worth of its chief executive officer, John Martin, exceeds $1 billion.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

adblock got bought, but they refuse to say by who
lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bet its goog

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i bet it's like goog's doubleclick or some unbelievably shady mitm ad insertion b2b company

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

b2b some goog into my mitm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

t...text me?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

After Sovaldi received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in December 2013, Gilead announced the drug would cost $84,000 for a 12-week course, or exactly $1,000 a pill. That’s more than double what Pharmasset, the biotech company that developed an early experimental version of the drug, initially said it planned to charge—until Gilead bought Pharmasset in 2011. For 2014, Sovaldi generated $10.3 billion in sales, making it one of the most lucrative pharmaceutical launches ever. In just the final three months of 2014, Harvoni added $2.1 billion. Gilead’s market capitalization has soared from $29 billion to $167 billion in five years. The net worth of its chief executive officer, John Martin, exceeds $1 billion.

i dont want to misrepresent myself here: im a small, petty, jealous man. im jealous of this guys wealth. im jealous of his shrewdness. im jealous of his life. but, despite all that, i think im capable of also hating his involvement in the pharmaceutical industry. i dont think its right. i dont think its what we should be doing as a society. i dont think we as a people should be "OK" with it. i get a strange feeling inside me when i thnk about the fact that im complicit in it, just be existing in this country. i feel bad that i dont have the guts to fight it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Smythe posted:

i dont want to misrepresent myself here: im a small, petty, jealous man. im jealous of this guys wealth. im jealous of his shrewdness. im jealous of his life. but, despite all that, i think im capable of also hating his involvement in the pharmaceutical industry. i dont think its right. i dont think its what we should be doing as a society. i dont think we as a people should be "OK" with it. i get a strange feeling inside me when i thnk about the fact that im complicit in it, just be existing in this country. i feel bad that i dont have the guts to fight it.

source your quotes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

at my last job my big project was to design some critical infrastructure for a big new building goin up on their campus

project had serious overruns and now their new facility can't be opened on time like they want so i feel like i had a hand in striking a blow against them costing them millions

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I designed a $1.5 million system of screw conveyors and support structures to move literal tons of rabbit poo poo through a drug company's massive animal testing facility. Welp that's my story. Profiting off Fiver's pain is p ftw

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

which is worse: making billions in the pharmaceutical industry, or making billions in the gun industry

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

which is worse: making billions in the pharmaceutical industry, or making billions in the gun industry

Gun industry but probably only by a hair.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Just use your bonus and buy that poo poo cash, drat.

why would you pay cash when sub-inflation financing is available? that like giving up free money.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the gun industry is responsible for greatly increased suicide rates among those who own guns

i would proudly make billions offa that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the pharma industry is responsible for greatly increased suicide rates among those who use antidepressants

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is there a reason people with Hep C haven't responded to this situation by going vigilante on the insurers and pharma companies behind it?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Morally, they're not even close, if only because of the end result. You're either a billionaire arms dealer and war profiteer or a billionaire healer (nominally). I mean yeah, you're deliberately impoverishing people who don't have a choice but to buy your drug, but at least they get better and don't use it to kill kids.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eschaton posted:

is there a reason people with Hep C haven't responded to this situation by going vigilante on the insurers and pharma companies behind it?

treatments also exist

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Smythe posted:

i like to drink v8 with some tabasco and pepper in it
cooking w/ smythe!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

at the date posted:

Morally, they're not even close, if only because of the end result. You're either a billionaire arms dealer and war profiteer or a billionaire healer (nominally). I mean yeah, you're deliberately impoverishing people who don't have a choice but to buy your drug, but at least they get better and don't use it to kill kids.

*jacks up the price of anti-parasite medication 4000% because he can*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

at the date posted:

except all the people who suffer or die because they can't afford to buy your drug even though they don't have a choice

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

eschaton posted:

except all the people who suffer or die because they can't afford to buy your drug even though they don't have a choice

they were gonna do that anyway

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eschaton posted:

that's being a bad parasite too.

you want them to have to take a medicine their entire life, killing them instead of capturing that part of the curve is a waste of valuable profit centers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

loll if you think

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

they were gonna do that anyway

totally can't tell that the military removed your inherent resistance to killing another human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

totally can't tell that the military removed your inherent resistance to killing another human

Had I suffered from that particular deficiency, I wouldn't have joined the military in the first place.

• Locked thread