Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Someone explain if this is a good game or not

So far, it has been a re-imagining of the good old Elite games with new graphics and a lackluster persistent multi-player layer added to them. Some aspects of the game (like flying around, the feel of space, sound etc) are really incredible, while others (game balancing, player to player interaction) are not.

FDEV have no experience in making MMOs, so many of the decisions they have made make no sense whatsoever. They are learning though, and the game has a development plan that will span years (adding a lot of things, from FPS gameplay to planetary interaction, multi-crew and Alien Wars).

If you are interested in space games, right now ED has the best space sim experience that you can find - especially if you are into VR. Take a look at this fanmade VR video from last January (when the game launched).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djy83O0nfds

On the other hand, many have commented that this game is like a mile wide pond with a depth of a few inches. This is an accurate assessment of the current player experience.

All in all, it pretty much deserves the price they are asking for it, although its pretty far from what it can become in the future (provided FDEV learn from their mistakes and keep making money to develop the game).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ledhed posted:

Since a lot of what you do in this game amounts to space trucking, I'd like to see options for the kind of detritus that accumulates when people basically live in their car/ship: snack bags and wrappers, drink cans etc. that all shift around the cabin whenever you make dramatic changes in velocity or direction of travel. And the longer between dockings, the denser the amount of junk.

it'd be hilarious if they actually modeled the physics of all that crap floating around in zero g in your cockpit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dante80 posted:

FPS gameplay

quote:

Alien Wars

When did they mention this stuff because at the rate they're finishing features it doesn't seem realistic.

At least these are the only promises we can say that about, and there is an actual game that exists to play right here and now. Unlike, you know. That other game.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gestalt Intellect posted:

When did they mention this stuff because at the rate they're finishing features it doesn't seem realistic.

At least these are the only promises we can say that about, and there is an actual game that exists to play right here and now. Unlike, you know. That other game.

FPS gameplay (including some ludicrous activities like hunting for exotic game in planets) has been known since the Kickstarter and also shown as concept art [1] [2]. Same goes for the Thargoids, for which FDEV have already cordoned off some sections of the starmap for future development.

Have in mind that the development plan for this game spans a decade or sth. That does not mean FDEV have a concrete idea of how it will unravel, or how to make this happen exactly, or even if its realistic/feasible to do it. Its just what they want to do, provided they have the funds to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yd-m9AR7mY

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 2, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Eonwe posted:

Someone explain if this is a good game or not

Star Citizen was designed from the bottom up and suffered feature creep etc. Elite: Dangerous was made from the top down and has a great core gameplay but felt massively undone on release and still feels like it needs a lot more. It's getting better and we're trying to make a cool community and do things in this massive sandbox.

Also ships cost zero irl dollars and you only pay real money for over priced paint jobs and bobbleheads.

If you wanna play we can hook you the gently caress up.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Literally Kermit posted:

over priced paint jobs

You little bitch, no one trashes my gold painted viper skin. It's beautiful and if I could actually see it when I was flying around, I would jizz on my monitor.

Got the imperial clipper thanks to Lasagna-Duffles generous JUSTICE BOUNTIES, but this feels kinda lame for combat. I'm not sure how to take advantage of the speed other than just staying at max range and piddling away for minutes with pulses; the hull is too big to take advantage of speeding around and being hard to hit like a dedicated combat ship. With the vulture and courier I could just eternally ride the top/bottom of a python via thrusters and laser the power plant. What pro strat am I missing with the clipper?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Crimson Harvest posted:

So the expansion is ~$45 if you already own the game. I have a feeling I should get it at that price rather than wait for it to go up when the loyalty discount ends.

Is there a comprehensive list of what content is going/expected to go in the xpac?
Basically this.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Harmburger posted:

Not everyone has iOS either. "Unless anyone has any recommendations in this area"

the google cardboard 2.0 says it is iphone compatible up to 6" screens so it should work with iphone

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Crimson Harvest posted:

So the expansion is ~$45 if you already own the game. I have a feeling I should get it at that price rather than wait for it to go up when the loyalty discount ends.

Is there a comprehensive list of what content is going/expected to go in the xpac?

It will probably be empty crap like the game currently is unless they add some kind of silly rover thunderdome to CQC with it.

Land on every empty rock! Find the nothing you always wanted to have!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Crimson Harvest posted:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/300

This is a list of the general features they want to introduce over the next year.

The main reason for starting with just airless worlds and moons is the can of worms atmospheres pose. They intend to model flying in atmospheres so they want to make sure terrain and gravity works well before working on that. Then there's the assets of things like trees, water, wildlife, etc to say nothing of human settlements.

Surface outposts and or starports should be in for starters and it would be especially :frontear: to not have at least that. Even having terrestrial stations that work just like regular space stations will work out nice, because inhabited systems will probably have multiple ones for mining, trade, etc. and make the galaxy feel a gently caress ton larger.

Mostly though I want to play with poo poo until it breaks, like getting a SRV on TOP of the Anaconda, then flying around with it. Into space.

Edit: We're getting to the "human scale" part of the game, when you realize you've been flying office-building-sized vessels into each other the whole time, and that 'dinky eagle' is still the size of a fighter jet. Hopefully Horizons really sells us on that.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 2, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think we might be getting atmospheres for Horizons, it's just life bearing planets they've specifically ruled out. They've mentioned weather systems coming down the line, and that kinda implies an atmosphere.

They've also talked about their technology for generating surface outposts procedurally, so they'll be in for definite. Not just starports, but other kinds of settlements too (you can land anywhere you want on the surface, so why not). I suspect one of the reasons they're going the airless route first because most living spaces will be underground or in domes, that's much easier to cope with than procedurally generating sprawling open air metropolises, and it allows them to leave the ambulatory stuff for a later date.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well, I'm finally home after a trip out about 7500ly. Headed down to Pleiades first until I hit the rim, then searched Wikipedia for black holes and found one called V404 Cyg so decided to fly out there along the spiral arm. Once I got there I then pointed my nose back at populated space until I found a station to dock at.
Thanks to my roundabout way of getting out there I hit a lot of unexplored systems, but didn't discover anything I think would be worthy of a second visit. As you can see, exploring netted me about 13m credits, and seeing as I never play for very long in one sitting it probably took me a few months of play. Not lucrative, but it jumped me 3 Explorer ranks if I actually cared about that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I really just wish they would give a clear consolidated list of what we are getting at release and what's coming later. Even just guessing it's safe to assume that multi-crew probably won't be until later in 2016, but other than loot/crafting and ice/lava planets I don't think they have given any concrete answers as to what's going to be coming later in the season as opposed to at release.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can't break promises if you never make any!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
They really need to add salvaging ships in combat because the best part of EVE was blowing up guys and stealing their modules

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Terrain following radar display like the landing pad display, crashed ships, and classical "ladder" HUD, nice.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 2, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Terrain following radar display like the landing pad display, crashed ships, and classical "ladder" HUD, nice.

Where did you get those screencaps? Are planetary landings on the Beta server?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're from the weekly news letter.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For reasons i can't explain at all, seeing the ladder hud made me really excited.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stanko-Prussian posted:

For reasons i can't explain at all, seeing the ladder hud made me really excited.

It brought back wonderful AH-64D Longbow memories.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've got my office back now, so tonight i'll be playing this game in the dark with no distractions, on my X52 happystick to the dulcet tones of Daft Punk, Pink Floyd, and David Bowie. Can't wait!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I wonder how are you supposed to find random stuff on planet surfaces. Most of them are big, and even at max speed in a cobra it would take hours to navigate them. Either they will be littered with crashed ships and outpost, or really bland?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe they'll show up from low orbit as Unknown Signal Sources? :v: Maybe the detailed surface scanner will be able to detect stuff like that, give it a use beyond buffing exploration payouts.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You kid, but that's basically it I think. :v:

We get another kind of supercruise called "orbital cruise" that'll let us navigate planets faster than standard flight. They'll probably pop up as signal sources while doing that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm kinda hoping they use the current USS system when using your rover. Just driving along and some random event is setup on the terrain for you to investigate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The first part was a bit of kid, but then I thought about it and added the second part. I'd love for a Detailed Surface Scanner to provide useful functionality for flying around a planet even if you're not exploring uncharted territory far from human space. Use it to find crashes, hidden pirate bases, cargo dead drops, etc etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite parts of Mass Effect was using the Mako in Mass Effect 1, cruising around to those awesome skyboxes wishing I was there, feeling like the first person ever to set foot there. Now I get to do it for real!

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I made this for Kermit after him talking about our "characters" in Elite being our SA avatars, figured I'd share.

I'm not good at photoshop and just mash buttons until it works :(

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I want to believe.

I also want pirate bases hidden on the planets that you can raid, or that launch guys at you if you get too close, something cool like that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I also want pirate bases hidden on the planets that you can raid, or that launch guys at you if you get too close, something cool like that

These were in Frontier: Elite II, so I'm really hoping that happens. Also missions to conduct aerial recon flybys of surface bases (who would deploy fighters to intercept you). There were also missions that'd give you a nuclear missile and orders to go blow up a surface base. :black101:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

These were in Frontier: Elite II, so I'm really hoping that happens. Also missions to conduct aerial recon flybys of surface bases (who would deploy fighters to intercept you). There were also missions that'd give you a nuclear missile and orders to go blow up a surface base. :black101:

So what you're saying is they should have just made Elite II HD edition?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Yo this may be a long shot but literally like a year ago a goon posted a sweet key layout for their Cobra Defender M5 + CH pro throttle setup which was the exact setup i had and i shamelessly stole it. Haven't played in a while and lost the picture after a reformat :( any chance anyone has it or the original person still checks this thread? Thanks in advance cool goons cant wait to hop back in I've missed drunk space flight.

Edit: nvm my search-fu was weak tried again and found it! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590283&userid=140442&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post438480438 incase anyone cares.

Lobstertainment fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

They really need to add salvaging ships in combat because the best part of EVE was blowing up guys and stealing their modules
Can't do this for PvP if the value of the modules exceeds the cost of buying back your ship right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So what you're saying is they should have just made Elite II HD edition?

Is that not the dream? E:D is better than 2 already in at least one respect though, the Newtonian physics are optional.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cicero posted:

Can't do this for PvP if the value of the modules exceeds the cost of buying back your ship right?

I was thinking they could make salvaged modules worth jack poo poo to prevent insurance fraud.

But then there's the issue of a dude buying one really good module and just dying over and over to dupe it

There has to be a better way

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know anything at all about the upcoming planetary stuff? I want in games like Elite to just gently caress off in a random direction, find weird crap, and sell it for cash. And from what I've heard thus far, exploration in Dangerous is still too shallow to really fit that bill. But if being able to land on planets and loot crashes and stuff is being rolled into the exploration system, I am abruptly much more interested.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valatar posted:

Does anyone know anything at all about the upcoming planetary stuff? I want in games like Elite to just gently caress off in a random direction, find weird crap, and sell it for cash. And from what I've heard thus far, exploration in Dangerous is still too shallow to really fit that bill. But if being able to land on planets and loot crashes and stuff is being rolled into the exploration system, I am abruptly much more interested.

That's what I'm hoping for

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Valatar posted:

I think Braben knows, he's keeping schtum for the time being though.

Crashed vessels are in, there's one in the pictures Galaga Galaxian posted (which are from this week's newsletter). As for other stuff, during their EGX talks they mentioned settlements, pirate bases, starports, and ore deposits. Maybe "stashes" too, can't remember for sure. There'll also be surface combat with the mako things, with the possibility of your wingmates flying air support (and an increased opportunity for goon on goon violence I'm sure). They're making some kind of loot system too, although what that means exactly we don't know yet.

We'll find out more in the coming weeks I think. Horizons is slated for "holiday 2015", so they should be betaing it soonish.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

I was thinking they could make salvaged modules worth jack poo poo to prevent insurance fraud.

But then there's the issue of a dude buying one really good module and just dying over and over to dupe it

There has to be a better way
Well they could at least do it for PvE. That's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

Star Citizen was designed from the bottom up and suffered feature creep etc. Elite: Dangerous was made from the top down and has a great core gameplay but felt massively undone on release and still feels like it needs a lot more. It's getting better and we're trying to make a cool community and do things in this massive sandbox.

Also ships cost zero irl dollars and you only pay real money for over priced paint jobs and bobbleheads.

If you wanna play we can hook you the gently caress up.

I might pick it up this weekend

• Locked thread