Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can you give us an actual year range for this instead of a vague and subjective legal era?

Hmm lets go with 1945-1980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lemming posted:

The location and names of undercover cops in Chicago would also be news. Obviously you can tell that there are certain things that are not useful to say. What's the functional difference in terms of being informed about events between knowing the guy's name and not? It doesn't do anything useful and does do something potentially harmful.

The news value outweighs the social science evidence that it is harmful.

Also please see my post regarding superstition and magical thinking.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Three things.

1. How does that training compare to the training police are required to undergo in your state?

2. How in the poo poo is your response to "my police aren't trained enough" naturally "private citizens should pick up the slack!"

I would recommend reviewing the thread on Police Shootings and Racism. You would be surprised to learn that many Americans don't trust their local police to shoot the bad guy. Possibly because many major police precincts don't seem to have any transparency or repercussions when they grossly fail in their duties. See: Eric Garner, Tamir Rice.

Unzip and Attack posted:

3. Your state doesn't represent the norm if you have strenuous requirements for a CCL. This is a national problem, not a state one.

Citation needed. In fact what state is he from? I don't even recall seeing that.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Also "but guys! A beheading happened in England once they obviously don't have anything to teach us on gun policy! Our hundreds of mass shootings in the last several years are because our citizens aren't armed enough!" is possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen in this forum.

This... Is actually true. It's awful hard to defend having 294 mass shootings in 274 days.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
if we banned white males from 18-34 from owning guns mass shootings would drop to close to 0.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

If you speak to a gun advocate from California, that person will speak as though they live in totalitarian Cambodia.

All thanks to saint Reagan to. :haw:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

There's a continuum between having a literal media blackout on the guy's name and spamming it on every channel 24/7 for weeks.

Good news! That doesn't happen! It's almost like you were complaining about something that wasn't a real issue or something!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raerlynn posted:

I would recommend reviewing the thread on Police Shootings and Racism. You would be surprised to learn that many Americans don't trust their local police to shoot the bad guy. Possibly because many major police precincts don't seem to have any transparency or repercussions when they grossly fail in their duties. See: Eric Garner, Tamir Rice.

that you trust random schmucks without training is kinda terrifying in a lot of ways

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

The news value outweighs the social science evidence that it is harmful.

Also please see my post regarding superstition and magical thinking.

The news value of repeating his name all the time for weeks, which is...?

This shooter also literally wrote "If you kill a bunch of people, they pay a lot of attention to you! Whoopee!" Seems to me pretty likely that this was part of his motivation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

His Purple Majesty posted:

Hmm lets go with 1945-1980

You mean the era when most states had literal bans on concealed carry entirely?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, the media should have gotten themselves some constitutional protections if they wanted to do whatever they want!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

This shooter also literally wrote "If you kill a bunch of people, they pay a lot of attention to you! Whoopee!" Seems to me pretty likely that this was part of his motivation.

Yea cool, he was loving insane. The news shooter also wrote that he wanted to start a race war, should we stop talking about racial issues?

The news value is, again, they literally had people claiming the wrong guy did it.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Im talking regulations on firearms in general.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

Why do you keep complaining about something that doesn't happen? Do you actually read newspapers, watch TV news, or listen to radio news? They don't actually do that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also non-whites were kept pretty firmly in the you're filth and beneath human territory.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Good news! That doesn't happen! It's almost like you were complaining about something that wasn't a real issue or something!

Are you kidding me? We're still hearing about the dingus that shot up the theater. He lived, which generally doesn't seem to be the case, but these shootings are absolutely huge news for long periods of time, and they spend tons of time discussing the shooter and everything about them.

Unless your point is that what I said is hyperbole, in which case, congratulations, you identified a hyperbole.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The news reporting is bad, but saying the name of the shooter is simply required, period anything else and you have redditards naming innocent people in an attempt to gain karma points that will never benefit anyone in life whatsoever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

Also non-whites were kept pretty firmly in the you're filth and beneath human territory.

also everyone just drank to deal with their mental illness and frustration, and maybe beat their families

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lemming posted:

Are you kidding me? We're still hearing about the dingus that shot up the theater. He lived, which generally doesn't seem to be the case, but these shootings are absolutely huge news for long periods of time, and they spend tons of time discussing the shooter and everything about them.

Unless your point is that what I said is hyperbole, in which case, congratulations, you identified a hyperbole.

We still heard about the theater shooter because Arapahoe County wasted millions of dollars trying and failing to secure a death penalty verdict that would literally never be carried out if they had succeeded. Which they did not, making the whole exercise even more of a farce.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

We still heard about the theater shooter because Arapahoe County wasted millions of dollars trying and failing to secure a death penalty verdict that would literally never be carried out if they had succeeded. Which they did not, making the whole exercise even more of a farce.

Which is why I pointed out that the guy lived which is an exception, it was just an example of how much focus is on these people.

Also, as a quick example: http://www.nytimes.com/ the guy's name appears twice, the most popular article on the top left is about him, and his picture is front and center.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

born on a buy you posted:

if we banned white males from 18-34 from owning guns mass shootings would drop to close to 0.

Not really that only covers like 70% of mass shootings.

We can narrow your ban even further though to skinny white males 18-34 with bowl cuts and still cover about 65% though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

His Purple Majesty posted:

Im talking regulations on firearms in general.

No concealed carry, a severe lack of proper 'gun industry' that we know it as today, and a massive surplus of WW2 weapons. This is what made the 'golden age' for gun owners (you're not the first dude to invoke this weirdly broad time period, that includes a lot of different standards for gun ownership depending where you are, prices, and local availability), not regulations.

Lemming posted:

Dude you're 'still hearing about him' because he was just on loving trial. Should they have put a black bag with a big ? over his head or something?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It was a little more complex than that, You just had to know how to operate.

Up until about 85 or so, what you did was get a "Courtesy Card" from the local police: "please treat this person as if they were an officer", or "This person is an honorary officer", and that was how you CCW'd (This is not to be confused with the Fraternal Order of Police courtesy cards, which mean dick-all). When I get home I can upload a few of them from various states that my grandfather had.

So, yeah, it was "Banned", but people still legit CCW'd pretty often using this method. Of course, these cards were almost never, ever, ever issued to anyone who failed the paper-bag test, as the whole thing was pretty much "How do we prevent darkies from having guns while letting the good old boys have theirs".

Doccers fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

You heard about him because something came up. His name wasn't repeatedly on the news since Summer 2012 when he did the shooting. Nobody shoots up a place just so that 3 years later they might be mentioned again.

No, my point is that you're completely making up the idea of particular shooters' names being constantly repeated. It does not happen in the mainstream media, everyone moves on pretty quickly.

Lemming posted:

Which is why I pointed out that the guy lived which is an exception, it was just an example of how much focus is on these people.

Also, as a quick example: http://www.nytimes.com/ the guy's name appears twice, the most popular article on the top left is about him, and his picture is front and center.

It's almost like something that happened loving yesterday is still worth reporting on. Why are you so hung up about the horrors of reporting yesterday's news on a newspaper's website?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Peering into the mind of the average gun owner:

Equalman Guest • 2 months ago
We love shooting sports... plunking cans.... hitting targets. Hunting... providing for our families....

Mick Urchinpick Equalman • 2 months ago
These people will never understand the joy of tumbling over a pop can,sitting in the quiet woods waiting for a trophy buck to come along. Or hear the joy and suprise of a new shooter when they hit what there shooting at.i feel sorry for them.have a good nite.

Patrick Equalman • 2 months ago
Our entire neighborhood has a huge number of Veterans, and we all
keep and bear arms as a "well regulated Militia", meaning that our armories are stocked, cleaned, oiled, and ready.

I prefer one shot, one kill, at 650 to 1200 meters, but, for home defense, keep 12 gauge pump shotguns ready near each entry.

This from a story in July about gun production being immense under president Obama, but the NRA pretending he's dismantling gun production and preventing ownership. I loving wish literal bad things on the NRA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lemming posted:

the news is using his name in articles about him that came out in the last day? i never

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress is this real? It's like "Luck Duckies" all over again

I like how furious readers gave them an excellent rundown on why exactly proles may not be spending

quote:

“Interest rates may be zero,” said reader Thomas Eckenrode, “but I know many people with credit card debt of $10,000 paying 15%.” He added student debt is an even bigger burden for his family.

“Simply put the middle class is debt ridden and struggling,” said reader Nate York. “Many people are hunkering down instead of casually spending.”

Or they may even harbor private ambitions of having savings someday!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also wait wasn't your point 'less gun regulations more mental health stuff'? 1950's-80's weren't exactly a bastion of mental healthcare...

Doccers posted:

It was a little more complex than that, You just had to know how to operate.

Up until about 85 or so, what you did was get a "Courtesy Card" from the local police: "please treat this person as if they were an officer", and that was how you CCW'd (This is not to be confused with the Fraternal Order of Police courtesy cards, which mean dick-all). When I get home I can upload a few of them from various states that my grandfather had.

So, yeah, it was "Banned", but people still legit CCW'd pretty often using this method. Of course, these cards were almost never, ever, ever issued to anyone who failed the paper-bag test, as the whole thing was pretty much "How do we prevent darkies from having guns while letting the good old boys have theirs".

So basically the golden age of guns involved toothless laws that were easily circumvented by racist organizations. Yea ya know what, I take it back, that is the ideal for a lot of these people I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Fuckin' laffo.

Do you live in the same America I do or some kind of parallel America where the Democrats aren't worthless shitbags concerned only with stroking the cocks of their corporate paymasters?

:laffo: yeah Democrats don't give a poo poo about social progress, they just expand Medicaid, preserve SNAP/TANF, and extend unemployment benefits as cover so all us rubes get snowed.

Nonsense posted:

Patrick Equalman • 2 months ago
Our entire neighborhood has a huge number of Veterans, and we all
keep and bear arms as a "well regulated Militia", meaning that our armories are stocked, cleaned, oiled, and ready.

I prefer one shot, one kill, at 650 to 1200 meters, but, for home defense, keep 12 gauge pump shotguns ready near each entry.

COME ONE COME ALL, EACH HOME INVADER GETS A SHOTGUN AS A DOOR PRIZE

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 2, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is all way more arcane and stupid than just limiting what kinds of guns civilians get and increasing the scrutiny.

What kind of guns do civilians use for mass shootings?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: yeah Democrats don't give a poo poo about social progress, they just expand Medicaid, preserve SNAP/TANF, and extend unemployment benefits as cover so all us rubes get snowed.

lilly ledbetter fair pay act, aca, immigration and environmental executive actions were all just to placate donors, no Demonrats actually care about people you see

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

You heard about him because something came up. His name wasn't repeatedly on the news since Summer 2012 when he did the shooting. Nobody shoots up a place just so that 3 years later they might be mentioned again.

No, my point is that you're completely making up the idea of particular shooters' names being constantly repeated. It does not happen in the mainstream media, everyone moves on pretty quickly.

It's almost like something that happened loving yesterday is still worth reporting on. Why are you so hung up about the horrors of reporting yesterday's news on a newspaper's website?

And yet, not every news outlet is plastering the guy's name and face front and center. Look at http://www.cnn.com/, they have a picture of one of the guys who got shot. Don't have his name listed on the front page, either. If it was so strictly necessary like you're implying, why wouldn't they also do it?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Literally The Worst posted:

that you trust random schmucks without training is kinda terrifying in a lot of ways

That you post without reading comprehension is just as bad. I did not say I trust random smocks without training, I said there are people who have a justified paranoia of police. I don't know if you're not from America, but the past year has not exactly been glowing with examples of exemplary police work. Which you would know if you read the thread I recommended, as opposed to living up to your username.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

And yet, not every news outlet is plastering the guy's name and face front and center. Look at http://www.cnn.com/, they have a picture of one of the guys who got shot. Don't have his name listed on the front page, either. If it was so strictly necessary like you're implying, why wouldn't they also do it?

Nobody is saying the thing you literally just made up was necessary, because it's a thing you made up. What don't you get about this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raerlynn posted:

That you post without reading comprehension is just as bad. I did not say I trust random smocks without training, I said there are people who have a justified paranoia of police. I don't know if you're not from America, but the past year has not exactly been glowing with examples of exemplary police work. Which you would know if you read the thread I recommended, as opposed to living up to your username.

whoa you're right i was totally unaware of what had happened this year because i didn't read a thread on the something awful dot com internet forums. you're right, that paranoia does in fact justify vigilante justice.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Trump gaining ground, Carson and Fiorina fading, Rubio stumbling, Bush a tiny step up, Cruz a longer growth trend

Can't dump the Trump!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/10/oregon-sheriff-handling-oregon-massacre-promoted-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theory

quote:

The month after the December 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, Sheriff John Hanlin of Douglas County, Oregon, posted a video called "The Sandy Hook Shooting - Fully Exposed" to his personal Facebook page. The video makes a number of conspiratorial claims, including about there being more than one shooter and that the grieving parents who appeared on news reports were acting.

The sheriff, who has done an admirable job in not glorifying the perpetrator from yesterday's mass shooting at Umpqua Community College, is also an avid guns rights supporter and a possible member of the Oath Keepers, a group that claims to be upholding their oath to defend the Constitution from any perceived threats—such as expanded gun control.

I wonder if he still thinks Sandy Hook was faked....

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raerlynn posted:

Ah yes, the black American male: the loudest and most illustrious critic of gun control in the US.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also wait wasn't your point 'less gun regulations more mental health stuff'? 1950's-80's weren't exactly a bastion of mental healthcare...

So basically the golden age of guns involved toothless laws that were easily circumvented by racist organizations. Yea ya know what, I take it back, that is the ideal for a lot of these people I guess.

IMHO the "Golden Age" of guns was the late 1800's to the 1930's, because that's when the lions share of development took place. But everyone's got their own opinion on that I suppose. After that, most of the inventions were really just simplifying manufacturing processes.

In terms of "Golden age of firearms legislation", it's never really happened. "No regulations" may have worked in a colonial/frontier setting, but it's pretty bad for city dwelling. "Let's ban everything" is also pretty dumb IMHO, and "lets just pile on 20,000 different laws that regulate tiny features and hope for the best" like we have now isn't terribly great either. Like I said earlier, I'd love to get pistols pulled into the NFA like originally intended, but ditch the racism part (LEO Sign-off). If there's something bad about someone, the for-real FBI background check on NFA items catches it pretty damned well.

Heck if you want to add semi-auto's into the NFA, that's doable too I suppose.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe it's the cold weather outside, but I'm getting the feeling that gunchat time is gonna be over soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Job Truniht posted:

Yeah, you can definitely go through rounds quick. I have no doubts about that, but nobody is going to start a mass shooting at a gun range.

There was a mass shooting at a gun range a couple years ago IIRC.

This shooting is clearly a false flag meant as a warning to him for daring to try and discuss The Truth. :freep:

• Locked thread