Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Literally The Worst posted:

whoa you're right i was totally unaware of what had happened this year because i didn't read a thread on the something awful dot com internet forums. you're right, that paranoia does in fact justify vigilante justice.

/sigh

Michael Brown
Tamir Rice
Eric Garner
Walter Scott
Tamara Seidle

That's five off the top of my head, from paying attention to the news over the past year and a couple months. But yes, I'm totally making up that police kill civilians and face few repercussions. In fact, let me Google that for you.

Also if you could point to where I advocated vigilante justice as opposed to highlighting the growing distrust of the police force, that's be swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

born on a buy you posted:

if we banned white males from 18-34 from owning guns mass shootings would drop to close to 0.

I would absolutely support this. This demographic has proven itself wholly incapable of responsible gun ownership.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

/sigh

Michael Brown
Tamir Rice
Eric Garner
Walter Scott
Tamara Seidle

That's five off the top of my head, from paying attention to the news over the past year and a couple months. But yes, I'm totally making up that police kill civilians and face few repercussions. In fact, let me Google that for you.

Obama will sign into law an act forbidding blacks from owning firearms before the police are ever disarmed.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

His Purple Majesty posted:

In order to get a concealed handgun license you have to have training in my state so wrong again euro friend.

I found this article from Harper's on the topic quite interesting. The writer is based out of Boulder, CO

http://harpers.org/archive/2010/08/happiness-is-a-worn-gun/

Happiness is a Worn Gun posted:

At the same time, though, I was a little jealous of those getting permits. Taking my guns from the safe was a rare treat; the sensual pleasure of handling guns is a big part of the habit. Elegantly designed and exquisitely manufactured, they are deeply satisfying to manipulate, even without shooting. I normally got to play with mine only a few times a year, during hunting season and on one or two trips to the range. The people with carry permits, though, were handling their guns all the time. They were developing an enviable competence and familiarity with them. They were living the gun life. Finally, last year, under the guise of “wanting to learn what this is all about,” but really wanting to live the gun life myself, I began the process of getting a carry permit. All that was required was a background check, fingerprints, and certification that I’d passed an approved handgun class.

[...]

The classes I took taught me almost nothing about how to defend myself with a gun. One, taught by a man who said he refuses to get a carry permit because “I don’t think I have to get the government’s permission to exercise my right to bear arms,” packed about twenty minutes of useful instruction into four long evenings of platitudes, Obama jokes, and belligerent posturing. “The way crime is simply out of control, you can’t afford not to wear a gun all the time,” he told us on several occasions. We shot fifty rounds apiece at man-shaped targets fifteen feet away. The legal-implications segment was taught by a cop who, after warming us up with fart jokes, encouraged us to lie to policemen if stopped while wearing our guns and suggested that nobody in his right mind would let a burglar run off with a big-screen TV. It’s illegal to shoot a fleeing criminal, he said, “but if your aim is good enough, you have time to get your story straight before I [the police] get there.” Thank you for coming; here’s your certificate of instruction. The other class, a three-hour quickie at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver, was built around a fifteen-minute recruiting pitch for the NRA and a long-winded, paranoid fantasy about “home invasion.” “They’re watching what time you come home, what time do you get up to go to the bathroom, when you’re there, when you’re not,” said the instructor, Rob Shewmake, of the Florida company Equip 2 Conceal. “They know who lives in the house. They know where your bedroom is, and they’re there to kill you.” (Eighty-seven Americans were murdered during burglaries in 2008; statistically, you had a better chance of being killed by bees.)

Both classes were less about self-defense than about recruiting us into a culture animated by fear of violent crime. In the Boulder class, we watched lurid films of men in ski masks breaking into homes occupied by terrified women. We studied color police photos of a man slashed open with a knife. Teachers in both classes directed us to websites dedicated to concealed carry, among them usacarry.org, an online gathering place where the gun-carrying community warns, over and over, that crime is “out of control.”

In fact, violent crime has fallen by a third since 1989—one piece of unambiguous good news out of the past two decades. Murder, rape, robbery, assault: all of them are much less common now than they were then. At class, it was hard to discern the line between preparing for something awful to happen and praying for something awful to happen. A desire to carry a gun seemed to precede the fear of crime, the fear serving to justify the carrying. I asked one of the instructors whether carrying a gun didn’t bespeak a needlessly dark view of mankind. “I’m an optimist,” he said, “but we live in a world of assholes.”

At the conclusion of both classes, we students were welcomed into the gun-carrying fraternity as though dripping from the baptismal font. “Thank you for being a part of this, man. You’re doing the right thing,” one of the Boulder teachers said, taking my hand in both of his and looking into my eyes. “You should all be proud of yourselves just for being here,” said the police officer who helped with the class. “All of us thank you.” As we stood shaking hands, with our guns in our gym bags and holding our certificates, we felt proud, included, even loved. We had been admitted to a league of especially useful gentlemen and ladies.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump gaining ground, Carson and Fiorina fading, Rubio stumbling, Bush a tiny step up, Cruz a longer growth trend

Can't dump the Trump!

Which org is that?

Pew just put a poll up with Bush in 6th place at 4% and I cackled with glee.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Obama will sign into law an act forbidding blacks from owning firearms before the police are ever disarmed.

True, but also not my point.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raerlynn posted:

/sigh

Michael Brown
Tamir Rice
Eric Garner
Walter Scott
Tamara Seidle

since you're apparently incapable of understanding sarcasm, i was pretending to be wildly unaware of the fact that the police are murdering people because you going "UH HAVEN'T YOU HEARD" about it was stupid

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raerlynn posted:

/sigh

Michael Brown
Tamir Rice
Eric Garner
Walter Scott
Tamara Seidle

Also if you could point to where I advocated vigilante justice as opposed to highlighting the growing distrust of the police force, that's be swell.

None of them would have been helped by shooting at the cops or openly showing off their gun. The cops would have used that for further pretext to murder them. You sound like some middle class white guy who thinks that showing off a gun means no one fucks with you, which doesn't work for black people around the police. You're naive as gently caress.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nobody is saying the thing you literally just made up was necessary, because it's a thing you made up. What don't you get about this?

My point is that it's possible to report on this recent news event that happened without making the gunman himself the focus of the story. I think it's a good thing to reduce the infamy that they get by committing these crimes. Many news outlets, however, play up the murderfest. I think it's bad. This isn't exactly a complicated point.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nintendo Kid posted:

None of them would have been helped by shooting at the cops or openly showing off their gun. The cops would have used that for further pretext to murder them. You sound like some middle class white guy who thinks that showing off a gun means no one fucks with you, which doesn't work for black people around the police. You're naive as gently caress.

To be fair nothing works for black people around the police. They just have to pray they didn't catch a crazy one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I found this article from Harper's on the topic quite interesting. The writer is based out of Boulder, CO

http://harpers.org/archive/2010/08/happiness-is-a-worn-gun/

The other thing is that in many states, you can take an online Utah CHL course and have it count in your state.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

My point is that it's possible to report on this recent news event that happened without making the gunman himself the focus of the story. I think it's a good thing to reduce the infamy that they get by committing these crimes. Many news outlets, however, play up the murderfest. I think it's bad. This isn't exactly a complicated point.

He isn't the focus of this story except in your own little head. The focus is the people who died, same as almost always. Also no matter what if you kill a bunch of people you're getting hella infamy, that's impossible to prevent, again, without a massive government coverup of all reporting on all mass murders. It doesn't matter to your fame whether you're immediately named or only named later, withholding the names does nothing but make it so that people guess who it can be, and that leads to harassment of the innocent.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So according to campaign disclosures, of Hewlett Packard's 302,000 personnel, only one (that is to say, 1) person from the company, a board member, donated a reportable amount of over $200 to Fiorina's campaign.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

For someone with a reputation for being so picky about his words you're certainly implying an awful lot about mine. FFS all I said was there are communities that don't trust their police. That's it. Nowhere did I advocate vigilantes. I get you don't like gun laws in this country. Guess what? I think they're pretty dumb too. How about we work on a solution that addresses the mass shooting, the number of fun violence issues in the country, and mental health issues? One that permits the people who live in rural areas that use them responsibly for defense against wild animals, who use them safely for sport, who use them safely to hunt, to continue to do so?

since you're apparently incapable of understanding sarcasm, i was pretending to be wildly unaware of the fact that the police are murdering people because you going "UH HAVEN'T YOU HEARD" about it was stupid

So LOL JUST KIDDING. Man the gently caress up and admit you were wrong shitstain.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Raerlynn posted:

\So LOL JUST KIDDING. Man the gently caress up and admit you were wrong shitstain.

except i was literally mocking you for thinking it possible that anyone was completely unaware of police killing people in the last year, and now you're mad because your rear end is showing

i would think that the being agog at a topic that was newly revealed to me by the "something awful dot com forums" would be a tip off but apparently i'm just an idiot who has no exposure to current events outside of dnd

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

He isn't the focus of this story except in your own little head. The focus is the people who died, same as almost always. Also no matter what if you kill a bunch of people you're getting hella infamy, that's impossible to prevent, again, without a massive government coverup of all reporting on all mass murders. It doesn't matter to your fame whether you're immediately named or only named later, withholding the names does nothing but make it so that people guess who it can be, and that leads to harassment of the innocent.

Taken just now from google news in an incognito window, so shouldn't be any garbage stuffing up the results.

The shooter is obviously a major focus of this story. Claiming he isn't is completely dishonest. Let me reiterate again that I don't think there should be a total blackout of the guy or his name, but it shouldn't be repeatedly plastered everywhere along with pictures of him the way it is now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raerlynn posted:

For someone with a reputation for being so picky about his words you're certainly implying an awful lot about mine. FFS all I said was there are communities that don't trust their police. That's it. Nowhere did I advocate vigilantes. I get you don't like gun laws in this country. Guess what? I think they're pretty dumb too. How about we work on a solution that addresses the mass shooting, the number of fun violence issues in the country, and mental health issues? One that permits the people who live in rural areas that use them responsibly for defense against wild animals, who use them safely for sport, who use them safely to hunt, to continue to do so?

So LOL JUST KIDDING. Man the gently caress up and admit you were wrong shitstain.

Yes police reform should also happen, literally no one is arguing this. It doesn't change the fact that regardless of that, 'some people don't trust cops' isn't a counter to 'you're not actually an action movie hero and have better odds of making things worse than better if you start shooting too'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

Taken just now from google news in an incognito window, so shouldn't be any garbage stuffing up the results.

The shooter is obviously a major focus of this story. Claiming he isn't is completely dishonest. Let me reiterate again that I don't think there should be a total blackout of the guy or his name, but it shouldn't be repeatedly plastered everywhere along with pictures of him the way it is now.

So have you moved on to 'we must never say his name' to we literally can't say 'the shooter' at all? Like, yea, the shooter had racist poo poo and a lot of guns, that's a fair thing to report.

You tell us what the news should be saying?

"Some people got shot today, very sad, shooter's dead though"?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your using thinking from a JK Rowling book. typing Chris Mercer isn't going to increase the evil points in the universe or curse someone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lemming posted:

The shooter is obviously a major focus of this story. Claiming he isn't is completely dishonest.

nobody has claimed this at all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I heard if you look in the mirror with the lights off and whisper "Chris Mercer" three times another mass shooting happens in America.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I heard if you look in the mirror with the lights off and whisper "Chris Mercer" three times another mass shooting happens in America.

thats really just more of a timing and statistical thing than magic, though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So have you moved on to 'we must never say his name' to we literally can't say 'the shooter' at all? Like, yea, the shooter had racist poo poo and a lot of guns, that's a fair thing to report.

You tell us what the news should be saying?

"Some people got shot today, very sad, shooter's dead though"?

The majority of those articles have the guy's name and picture in the article.

nobody has claimed this at all

In the literal post that I quoted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thats really just more of a timing and statistical thing than magic, though

A whole different kind of spooky

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The thing is, Lemming, is that the type of thinking that, "I'm insignificant, shooting someone will give me notoriety," really isn't a recent invention directly related to 24/7 news. It was basically the cause for Lee Harvey Oswald killing JFK, after all. To a point, the motive is uncontrollable, and accusing the media of sensationalizing just for offering details on the shooter doesn't really change the fact that shooters will come up with whatever rationale for their actions. Should we black out Osama bin Laden from media altogether as well so he doesn't inspire jihadists?

Ultimately, in situations like this, means trumps motive, and trying to manage motive through unnecessary censoring or demands for self-censoring of the media is assuming that inspiration is decided by the media and not just Personality X be it Charles Manson, Jodie loving Foster, etc.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

American gun laws are a total mess. They are often technically-focused, but written by people who don't actually know anything about guns.

How is that different from any other law not written by an industry lobbying group?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Filthy Hans posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34424713

2 survivors have claimed he specifically targeted Christians

Multiple survivors of Columbine claimed the 'Are you a Christian?' exchange took place as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dan Didio posted:

Multiple survivors of Columbine claimed the 'Are you a Christian?' exchange took place as well.

The dude apparently went on about organized religion, it's fair to say this may be genuine, dude.

duz posted:

How is that different from any other law not written by an industry lobbying group?

I've always wondered, Rent-A-Cop and all, I assume you at least agree we should have SOME gun laws. If you have beef with non-experts writing them, who should? Wouldn't the 'experts' in this case all be in the pro-gun industry lobby? Isn't that like saying 'big pharma' should write our healthcare laws?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes police reform should also happen, literally no one is arguing this. It doesn't change the fact that regardless of that, 'some people don't trust cops' isn't a counter to 'you're not actually an action movie hero and have better odds of making things worse than better if you start shooting too'.

Which. I also. Did not. Say.

Raerlynn posted:

I would recommend reviewing the thread on Police Shootings and Racism. You would be surprised to learn that many Americans don't trust their local police to shoot the bad guy. Possibly because many major police precincts don't seem to have any transparency or repercussions when they grossly fail in their duties. See: Eric Garner, Tamir Rice.

This is what I said. That many Americans don't trust their local police to shoot the right people. As a refutation of this point specifically:

Unzip and Attack posted:

2. How in the poo poo is your response to "my police aren't trained enough" naturally "private citizens should pick up the slack!" 

It's not paranoia if they have demonstrated a desire to be out to get you. Which Ferguson demonstrated remarkably well. But somehow pointing out that in many communities fear of the police is well founded makes me the paranoid gun rights activist that advocates for vigilantism... despite owning no guns, agreeing that our gun culture is hosed up, and depressingly resigned that nothing is likely to change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't the Tamir Rice shooting still being investigated even though it's been like a year now? Not seeing a good reason for that except to make it go away.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've always wondered, Rent-A-Cop and all, I assume you at least agree we should have SOME gun laws. If you have beef with non-experts writing them, who should? Wouldn't the 'experts' in this case all be in the pro-gun industry lobby? Isn't that like saying 'big pharma' should write our healthcare laws?

I could see there being laws about adhering to chamber spec size and proofing and whatnot but that's not really a major safety concern, and seems like it would just be another layer of incompetently administered bureaucracy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raerlynn posted:

So you want Australia's gun laws? OK. It's still stupid as hell of you to bring up black people being killed in a discussion of gun stuff though.

Lemming posted:

I sure don't see his name there on that page except for one of the stories out of many. Also, people are talking about the things found now because they were just found today. You know, because it's new and hence in the news.

Lemming posted:

The majority of those articles have the guy's name and picture in the article.

And? Like that was just found out today, why are you so opposed to facts being reported on? Are you really just in favor of never reporting bad news ever?

Raerlynn posted:

This is what I said. That many Americans don't trust their local police to shoot the right people. As a refutation of this point specifically:

But they also sure as poo poo don't trust Johnny the Video Game Rambo to shoot the right people either, dude. And given that the vast majority of Americans own no guns, and even fewer actively carry, they don't trust themselves to do it either.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

This looks entirely different than 2012 if the trend continues. I'm still taking it on faith that Trump gets upended eventually but how is going to be the interesting thing we find out

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raerlynn posted:

Which. I also. Did not. Say.

It's not paranoia if they have demonstrated a desire to be out to get you. Which Ferguson demonstrated remarkably well. But somehow pointing out that in many communities fear of the police is well founded makes me the paranoid gun rights activist that advocates for vigilantism... despite owning no guns, agreeing that our gun culture is hosed up, and depressingly resigned that nothing is likely to change.

Then what ARE you saying? Tell us the point instead of just going 'you know...cops are bad...' as if that contributes literally anything.

The conversation is 'the idea that a gun owner can be the hero in poo poo like this is almost always wrong and the examples people show are the exceptions rather than the rule, and that's a major argument they use for needing loose gun laws'. You then interjected with 'oh so we're supposed to wait for THE COPS' and started this. So what are you trying to say other than dropping your balls on the conversation?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dan Didio posted:

That's true, and there may be a slim chance that this case could involve exaggeration by one or two of the survivors, or maybe they were asked leading questions by the police or the media. I still trust the survivors' accounts until evidence to the contrary is provided, however.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Doccers posted:

IMHO the "Golden Age" of guns was the late 1800's to the 1930's, because that's when the lions share of development took place. But everyone's got their own opinion on that I suppose. After that, most of the inventions were really just simplifying manufacturing processes.
Personally I think the 1400s-1600s were a really interesting time because they were just really figuring out the base principles and tried some crazy poo poo in their experiments. Extra crazy really, because much of that was before the scientific method so it was a lot of individual craftsmen just trying stuff. The revolution we saw in the 1800s is amazing, but much a result of alternative advances in manufacturing (eg cost efficient production of smokeless powder meant certain designs are now possible whereas residue from black powder seized them up)

Interesting though experiment - look at the development and wild changes in form, function, use, and design from the arquebus to the modern field rifle. Now think about where drones may end up if you assume the predator is the equivalent of the hook gun in terms of development

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn't the are you Christian thing hearsay from a Survivors dad.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Excuse me crazy dead person who should have been in a strait jacket not in community college, did you ask each of your victims if they were Christian, in hopes of propelling an evangelical revival?

I'm going to go with it didn't happen, it never happens, and any who claim it happened, regularly read Breitbart.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The dude apparently went on about organized religion, it's fair to say this may be genuine, dude.

I didn't say it wasn't? The man's own writings are a pretty good indication of what was going on inside his head, trauma victims testimony in these circumstances isn't, historically speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It helped him find people but the 'saying his name gives him power' bit wasn't how it worked, his weird fetus bath was all he needed. I guess if shooters start killing everyone who knows their name then we can call it voldemorting them.

I think people actually do use "Voldemort" to refer to people who search their name on Twitter and start yelling at anyone who says anything remotely mean about them

Trabisnikof posted:

lilly ledbetter fair pay act, aca, immigration and environmental executive actions were all just to placate donors, no Demonrats actually care about people you see

those are all secretly conservative because they don't do anything for all the republican union members like trump's massive tariffs do

• Locked thread