Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Which org is that?

Pew just put a poll up with Bush in 6th place at 4% and I cackled with glee.

Demos I assume, I cribbed it from Matt Bruening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

I could see there being laws about adhering to chamber spec size and proofing and whatnot but that's not really a major safety concern, and seems like it would just be another layer of incompetently administered bureaucracy.

I don't know, about the only layer of bureaucracy gunbunnies approve of would probably be the one that tackles the engineering side of firearms since that's where people like Garand and Stoner hung out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sure don't see his name there on that page except for one of the stories out of many. Also, people are talking about the things found now because they were just found today. You know, because it's new and hence in the news.

And? Like that was just found out today, why are you so opposed to facts being reported on? Are you really just in favor of never reporting bad news ever?

It seems really important to you to never address people's main point, and instead try to harp on semantics.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lemming posted:

It seems really important to you to never address people's main point, and instead try to harp on semantics.

Never talked with fishmech before or something? That's kind of all he does.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raerlynn posted:

It's not paranoia if they have demonstrated a desire to be out to get you.

Are you a black male?

If yes, then you have a point for you and your community. But that doesn't even make sense in this context because the vast majority of gun nuts are white males.

If no, then please just shut up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

Dude what is your main point? You shifted from 'don't say his name' to 'don't talk about the shooter at all'. How should this story be reported, walk us through Lemming News Network's handling of this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

Your "main point" was that the shooter's name gets constantly talked up for weeks, which is a thing that doesn't happen. We addressed your false "main point" like hours ago.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
And it felt longer.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Job Truniht posted:

Yeah, you can definitely go through rounds quick. I have no doubts about that, but nobody is going to start a mass shooting at a gun range.

Let me use some better wording: you can buy as much ammo as you want at a dealer and even take it with you, but you're in trouble if you leave it all sitting there within a month. I'd really like to. See what kind of people are keeping 1000+ rounds sitting around their house.

Yo. Three people who enjoy shotgun sports, and a Wal-Mart way the hell upstate. Hundred rounds a go, two or three gos on a weekend, we tend to have well over 5000 rounds hanging about just because we don't enjoy driving to North Fuckistan.

Remember, ammo lasts FOREVER. We are still shooting ammo made for WWII. It's good and it's accurate. It's pretty much the perfect thing to buy in bulk, load into the car, and store in a dry place till you need it.

And that's with three people who have guns that share the same ammo. When you factor in multiple types of guns, or even just different loads for different sports, you can, reasonably, have tens of thousands of rounds around.

For people who don't understand why you'd have different loads - think of it as golf. They have different flight characteristics and do different things.

Edit: Note: My personal shotgun is the worst possible design for home defense, by the way - the barrel is literally three feet long, and you reload it by cracking it open like it was on a door hinge - it's called a break action. It's designed to get maximum velocity and accuracy out of a shotgun load.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump gaining ground, Carson and Fiorina fading, Rubio stumbling, Bush a tiny step up, Cruz a longer growth trend

Can't dump the Trump!

I wonder if this has to has to do with how Trump seems to be the only candidate able to keep himself in the media during the long lull between the debates. It seems like the only time the other candidates are mentioned are when Jeb! or Carson say something really crazy/stupid.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pew research poll results

Trump - 25
Carson 16
Rubio 8
Fiorina 8
Cruz 6
Bush 4
Huckabee 2
Paul 2

Go home Huck. Your large sons miss you

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Dude what is your main point? You shifted from 'don't say his name' to 'don't talk about the shooter at all'. How should this story be reported, walk us through Lemming News Network's handling of this.

I think Charlie Brooker has explained this pretty well.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Yo. Three people who enjoy shotgun sports, and a Wal-Mart way the hell upstate. Hundred rounds a go, two or three gos on a weekend, we tend to have well over 5000 rounds hanging about just because we don't enjoy driving to North Fuckistan.

Remember, ammo lasts FOREVER. We are still shooting ammo made for WWII. It's good and it's accurate. It's pretty much the perfect thing to buy in bulk, load into the car, and store in a dry place till you need it.

And that's with three people who have guns that share the same ammo. When you factor in multiple types of guns, or even just different loads for different sports, you can, reasonably, have tens of thousands of rounds around.

For people who don't understand why you'd have different loads - think of it as golf. They have different flight characteristics and do different things.

hmm ya 5000 rounds of ammunition is definitely something i wanna store in my home until i 'need it'

ammunition is like golf except it murders a school full of children 2-3 times a month :woop:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warcabbit posted:

Think of it as golf? Well I do agree it's a hobby mostly practiced by insufferable decently off to wealthy white dudes and is a total waste. So sure, it's a lot like golf.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The good thing about American gun owners is statistically, they're likely to use their exorbitant amount of mantoys to ventilate their own diseased skulls.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Me prepping for an absolutely legendary weekend of shooting and banter with the lads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjdpoqITXk

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I wonder if this has to has to do with how Trump seems to be the only candidate able to keep himself in the media during the long lull between the debates. It seems like the only time the other candidates are mentioned are when Jeb! or Carson say something really crazy/stupid.

Here's the interesting thing to me - it suggests that Trump has a ceiling of ~32%. Ok, that means he will not be the candidate, which keeps with what everyone expected. But it also suggests he also has a floor of ~24%. That would be what is upending all the models and why he hangs in there, usually the floor for a politician is much larger relatives wit their ceiling, so they either never get a head of steam or they fall off the map when they stumble. Trump breaks from that, and thus the baked in assumptions of the models. It is also what fucks the GOP, because a guy who commands a quarter of the base is a guy who gets to name terms and you don't talk back.

:getin:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Nintendo Kid posted:

Think of it as golf? Well I do agree it's a hobby mostly practiced by insufferable decently off to wealthy white dudes and is a total waste. So sure, it's a lot like golf.

Eh, I'll accept that. Most of the people at the range are pretty blue collar, though - retired cops and the like.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warcabbit posted:

Yea, aside from the habit of guns killing people, think of it like golf, just a fun time with the bros. Anyway I got a trunk full of bullets that I probably will literally never go through but I needed them for a rainy day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like to think of my old heroin habit as being a chocoholic. I mean I KNEW it was bad for me but it was just so good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate to post a link to Tucker Carlson's lovely site here but Marco Rubio is very good. Could he possibly be the best bet to win the nomination as of now?

http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/01/here-is-marco-rubios-brilliant-response-to-black-lives-matter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that people who hoard guns and knives and ammunition are mentally ill.

Unfortunately, the ~45 mass shootings so far this year tend to give a bit of credence to my theory.

"No, see, these 8000 rounds of armor piercing bullets were a good investment. I'm just storing them down here until I need them."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

I hate to post a link to Tucker Carlson's lovely site here but Marco Rubio is very good. Could he possibly be the best bet to win the nomination as of now?

http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/01/here-is-marco-rubios-brilliant-response-to-black-lives-matter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Marco is a dumb motherfucker in a lot of ways (he also said that women will sell their fetus to PP for money thanks to the baby harvesting they do, and so getting pregnant will be an income source somehow) but he's probably the least dumb motherfucker they have, and is young and very cute, so yea he's probably the smart one to rally around if they want a fight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Marco is a dumb motherfucker in a lot of ways (he also said that women will sell their fetus to PP for money thanks to the baby harvesting they do, and so getting pregnant will be an income source somehow) but he's probably the least dumb motherfucker they have, and is young and very cute, so yea he's probably the smart one to rally around if they want a fight.

The only thing that gives me pause is that he was a member of the Gang of Eight for comprehensive immigration reform and the base HATES that...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

The only thing that gives me pause is that he was a member of the Gang of Eight for comprehensive immigration reform and the base HATES that...

Yea he's been on record occasionally saying not insane things, but if anything that's probably best for him because that'll make him the establishment golden boy rather than the teabagger one.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea, aside from the habit of guns killing people, think of it like golf, just a fun time with the bros. Anyway I got a trunk full of bullets that I probably will literally never go through but I needed them for a rainy day.

Hey, you do your thing, I do mine. What's his name asked what kind of people had over 5000 rounds. I'm saying 'that's about a month's worth of ammo for a small family.' I understand it seems large, but it's a consumable, it goes down surprisingly quickly.

I tried to explain why people would have that much or more, and why it tends to accumulate. (For example, if you go out to the range, traditionally, you buy an overpriced box of ammo from them to keep the place open. That can stack up, especially if it's not the brand/type you prefer.)

I suppose over 10,000 rounds would be surprising, if it wasn't bought army surplus or if it wasn't .22. Army surplus is like the original Costco for 'oh yeah, here, have insane amounts of this thing you want.'

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 2, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea he's been on record occasionally saying not insane things, but if anything that's probably best for him because that'll make him the establishment golden boy rather than the teabagger one.

Right but that isn't enough to win the nomination. Remember that batshit insane candidates Trump+Carson+Fiorina are over 55%

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mcmagic posted:

I dunno, on the other hand you have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8RgEVBsJ0

Which pretty much solidifies him as Huckabee 2.0 in a lot of ways.

Edit: Beaten like 5 posts up :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

Right but that isn't enough to win the nomination. Remember that batshit insane candidates Donald "Our planet is freezing" Trump+Carson+Fiorina are over 55%

So were guys like Cain and Bachmann in some places. The establishment has the money, the establishment picks the nominee, if they can be shown a promising, less insane, option in a cute young Cuban dude they'll probably rally for him and it won't matter of Trump has idiots on his side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

I dunno, on the other hand you have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8RgEVBsJ0

Which pretty much solidifies him as Huckabee 2.0 in a lot of ways.

Edit: Beaten like 5 posts up :)

LMAO this is insane. This plus his not believing in abortion being legal to save the mother's life are going to make for some awesome general election ads.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So were guys like Cain and Bachmann in some places. The establishment has the money, the establishment picks the nominee, if they can be shown a promising, less insane, option in a cute young Cuban dude they'll probably rally for him and it won't matter of Trump has idiots on his side.

If this is true it will be Jeb!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It will literally never be Jeb!, he's pissed any chance he had away.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

I'm saying 'that's about a month's worth of ammo for a small family.'

lmbo

the USA is doomed, we are doomed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also yea I've lived in the south my whole life, have many friends who own guns, have been shooting with them, have seen them take their family shooting, all that gun culture stuff. There is no way 5k is 'a month for a small family'

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Information about news events shouldn't be hidden just because it could potentially inspire copycats. There are tons of reasons why that's a bad idea.

For one, it allows misinformation to take hold: understandably, if investigators don't have good information, they should wait to tell reporters. But waiting too long will allow trolls, manipulators, conspiracy theories, and rumors to take hold. In some cases, this can make a situation way worse: remember how some police departments involved in shootings last year didn't release videos of the incidents until later? That made residents really mad, since they were being kept in the dark about events in their own community. People have a right to know about newsworthy events.

Also, I think the idea that "attention" is the main motive to mass killings is overblown. It seems secondary to asserting power that they feel they don't have. They choose defenseless targets for this very reason. They get to live out their power fantasies, and the fact that they'll get attention is just another element of that power. There are a lot of ways to get attention that don't involve massacring huge numbers of people. The power of the act itself is still the main motivating factor.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Fried Chicken posted:

Pew research poll results

Trump - 25
Carson 16
Rubio 8
Fiorina 8
Cruz 6
Bush 4
Huckabee 2
Paul 2

Go home Huck. Your large sons miss you

HA! Jeb polling at 4% that's fantastic.

Fried Chicken posted:

So Jeb just got asked about mass shootings at an event in Greenville, South Carolina. His response?
"Stuff happens"

:stare:
Well there goes his 4%.

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 2, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno, a family of four doomsday preppers may have each member shoot three to four clipsmagazines at black silhouettes every day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So Jeb just got asked about mass shootings at an event in Greenville, South Carolina. His response?

"Stuff happens"

I mean holy poo poo. How is he this loving bad. You don't want to give a policy solution you trot out some empty bromides about thoughts and prayers, say something about we need to work towards a world where love conquers hate, change the subject. You don't fumble through an answer where you use the words "stuff happens" to write off a mass shooting event

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also yea I've lived in the south my whole life, have many friends who own guns, have been shooting with them, have seen them take their family shooting, all that gun culture stuff. There is no way 5k is 'a month for a small family'

Trap shooting. Hundred rounds a go. Two rounds each. (200) Two days in a weekend (400). Three family members (1200). Four weeks in a month. (4800).

I hope I've been informative, because I really wouldn't mind dropping the topic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think you'd need 1200 rounds to kill three people, but I'm not a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jesus Christ let there be video and let it look half as bad as people are saying it was. Jeb has been gaffing himself to death but this is the final bullet in the chamber if that gets wheels.

• Locked thread