Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, it's up for both PlayStations on the JPN store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

arslan should work fine as a game. the anime had budget (and creativity) issues in the last half but i can't imagine the game having much trouble with that

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Samurai Warriors 4-II: Can someone explain counterattacks to me? The "Advanced Moves 1" tutorial says you can spend Spirit Gouge to counter officers when prompted, but the prompt never happens, or I don't know how to trigger it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mikeycp posted:

I kinda wish they would put out a demo for Dragon Quest, if only because I want to play it real bad and don't want to wait two weeks.

Weirdly they have it at the demo kiosks at Gamestop I gave it a good half hour it was fun and the party member swapping actually felt like a decent change to the warriors formula.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Entenzahn posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-II: Can someone explain counterattacks to me? The "Advanced Moves 1" tutorial says you can spend Spirit Gouge to counter officers when prompted, but the prompt never happens, or I don't know how to trigger it.

I think it's when an officer attacks, you time it like a parry and then press the Hyper attack when you see the prompt above it. At least, that's how I understood it, because one of the character's special attack is doing free counterattacks.

socialsecurity posted:

Weirdly they have it at the demo kiosks at Gamestop I gave it a good half hour it was fun and the party member swapping actually felt like a decent change to the warriors formula.

How is it different compared to Samurai Warriors switching? Can you give them orders to go to a place/enemy and then switch to them later on?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

socialsecurity posted:

That's good to hear. I'm really looking forward to it. I ended up getting J-PSN money and getting a Mahjong game to pass the time until the 12th.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Entenzahn posted:

It seems semi random like the triangle heavy blows on officers, I've only seen it pop up once in the first couple of stages I've done. It only happens when officers are doing their hyper moves on you, I don't know of any other conditions yet.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Yeah, when officers do certain moves a little prompt will appear to hit the jump button (A or X on controllers), if you get it right you'll do a spirit charge (the fancy shadowy disappeary attack that happens when you hit jump after attacking) into their face for a decent amount of damage. Similarly, you can do a "Mighty Attack" (a finisher basically) if they're below a certain amount of health (a quarter to a half, depending on various factors) and stunned - when you get close enough and are facing the stunned officer a prompt will appear above their head, press heavy attack (Y or Triangle) and you'll do a fancy animation and kill them. There are some skills to increase the threshold below which you can do a Mighty Attack. I mention this because bonus objectives sometimes come up to finish dudes with a Mighty Attack and it took me ages to figure it out :pseudo:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Split Screen with two controllers doesn't work for me properly on Samurai Warriors 4 II and it saddens me greatly because my friend adores musuo games. First player works propely but second player can't control their camera and their buttons are all mixed up in the menus (no issues in-game, aside from the camera thing) and nothing we change in the game's settings effects the problem.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Split Screen with two controllers doesn't work for me properly on Samurai Warriors 4 II and it saddens me greatly because my friend adores musuo games. First player works propely but second player can't control their camera and their buttons are all mixed up in the menus (no issues in-game, aside from the camera thing) and nothing we change in the game's settings effects the problem.

It's probably a controller-related thing. Are the two controllers the same? I know with my F510/310 I had to switch to DInput because koei's games read their XInput controls wrong, so LT/RT control the camera and other dumb stuff like that.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Any impressions on the PC version of SW 4-II? A friend of mine got interested in the series after watching some gameplay for DW8 Xtreme Legends for it, despite the..issues with the PC port. If I was able to tolerate that one, is SW-4 II a marked improvement, and more importantly, does that one actually have functioning online co-op?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought the dw8 port was perfect, so I don't know what problems occurred for you, but sw is about equal at worst to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
SW4-II PC has the PS4 player models but PS3 everything else, so it looks like boiled rear end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I'd forgotten about Naotora's running animation.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So I just noticed that Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is on steam in English. Anybody tried it? Did they manage to gently caress up my favorite series of all time?

Oh man customizable soundtrack including all the awesome old music, not even in a game yet and I'm excited.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Chocobo posted:

So I just noticed that Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is on steam in English. Anybody tried it? Did they manage to gently caress up my favorite series of all time?

Oh man customizable soundtrack including all the awesome old music, not even in a game yet and I'm excited.

I have it on the PS4. I don't have a ton of Romance of the Three Kingdoms experience and have never played any of the previous titles.

That being said, I think Nobunaga's Ambition is kind of shallow and really repetitive. Managing all of your castles is painful each turn and while you can automate the process it seems to be an all or nothing option. There is no way to leave some of the stuff like building improvements to the AI without also leaving diplomacy and scheming to the AI as well.

All I've managed to do is raise armies and beat the poo poo out of my neighbors, hope that I can storm the defenses before my supplies run out, send everyone back home, and repeat the process in a few turns at the next castle.

There may be some layer of depth I am missing but I've played some very grognardy strategy and war games in the past, so complexity isn't a deterrent for me. I am just not seeing anything that gives me a sense of satisfaction other than my clan flag showing up on more of the map.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anyone know if you get those cute slime weapons for digital pre orders of dragon quest heroes? Seems like no.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

SW4-II PC has the PS4 player models but PS3 everything else, so it looks like boiled rear end.

I don't see much of a difference besides being glossier? It's not like the Tecmo games have been reliant on high-end graphics.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tae posted:

I thought the dw8 port was perfect, so I don't know what problems occurred for you, but sw is about equal at worst to it.

Most people's problems with DW8XL on Steam came from the janky controller integration that made the stick weird to control stuff with the X360 controller. I used a Xbone controller later and it worked a lot better, but I remember something weird with the dead zones and diagonals with the original X360 when I first started playing- specifically, you could only ride your horse in straight lines and had to stop to turn.

In most ways, the PC port is likely the best option after the PS4 version overall but I'd hit up the Steam forums and such and look at the troubles people are having. A lot of Koei ports have been kinda slap-dash and buggy in weird ways and they haven't been the most judicious in post-launch support, so I'd definitely do my research before purchase here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

I don't see much of a difference besides being glossier? It's not like the Tecmo games have been reliant on high-end graphics.

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

AFAIK the controller side of things is screwy as usual but I'm pretty sure they did bother to get online play in this time, so there's that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If you want a laugh, go into the character creator and take a look at the textures on most of the armors. That's PS2-level of muddy. I really have no idea how they manage to make their game 8GB in size.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Failboattootoot posted:

Anyone know if you get those cute slime weapons for digital pre orders of dragon quest heroes? Seems like no.

The PSN page says this:

"PRE-ORDER NOW to get the PlayStationŽStore exclusive in-game item, the Goolden Axe, which can be equipped on Yangus to give him a gooreat head start!"

But I don't know if that's in addition to the slime set you get with the Day One Edition or not. Trying to figure out if I want to go digital or not myself...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chocobo posted:

I think it's pretty fun.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Static Rook posted:

The PSN page says this:

"PRE-ORDER NOW to get the PlayStationŽStore exclusive in-game item, the Goolden Axe, which can be equipped on Yangus to give him a gooreat head start!"

But I don't know if that's in addition to the slime set you get with the Day One Edition or not. Trying to figure out if I want to go digital or not myself...

I went physical just to be safe. Slime weapons are too cool.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I got SW IV-2 and while it's not a great port, it does have online co-op and it's slightly better than their older ports. At this rate, their ports might actually be good in another couple years.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortimermcmire

add me for sick nasty SW4-ii action

How does this even work though, if I join someones game and play for an hour do you split loot/exp?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

There's probably not much chance that the NA Dragon Quest Heroes is going to allow Twitch streaming when the Japanese doesn't, right?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

mikeycp posted:

There's probably not much chance that the NA Dragon Quest Heroes is going to allow Twitch streaming when the Japanese doesn't, right?

It looks like this is the standard for KT games going forward so probably not.

It's kind of unfortunate because if I were to stream a game other than BoI Rebirth, it would probably be a Warriors game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you do it direct from the PS4 then you'll be able to use UStream or YouTube. I've watched streams of the Japanese version from my PS4.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Good to know. I'll have to check out how YT streaming works, or else I'll just bring the PS4 over to my elgato, I guess.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I feel like Nobunaga's Ambition peaked at Rise to Power. Sphere of Influence does a nice job of comining the new real-time gameplay of Iron Triangle with the earlier planning-phase turn based games. I remember Rise to Power feeling a lot less tedious though, I think thats just because they've added so many bases per province that it is unbearably tedious to micromanage things without delegating or just using the auto-council within just a few years of starting.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ugh, Samurai Warriors 4-2 keeps crashing mid-battle for me. Worked fine till I got to the Date campaign. :suicide:

When will my stable port return from the wars.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

is it worth leaning to play nobunagas ambition if you're a complete novice?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Ugh, Samurai Warriors 4-2 keeps crashing mid-battle for me. Worked fine till I got to the Date campaign. :suicide:

When will my stable port return from the wars.

I had one crash during the Date campaign, but none in others. Try finishing up the other campaigns and maybe they'll have a patch by then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hisahide's storyline is still the best.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

canada jezus posted:

is it worth leaning to play nobunagas ambition if you're a complete novice?

Yeah. If you do the tutorial and do your first playthrough on a lower difficulty you shouldn't have any problem.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Just finished my first game as Chosokabe. I just delegated everything until I needed to make provinces, and my provincial reagents pretty much handled the war themselves. More fun than I thought it would be.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Yeah. If you do the tutorial and do your first playthrough on a lower difficulty you shouldn't have any problem.

neat! whats the replay value like? If its any good i'll pick it up after i finish mgs5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Going back to One Piece Warriors (quit last time because my save file got deleted), I think my immediate problem with SW-4 is ultimately the camera. It's too close to the player model, and those player models are usually bulkier than the One Piece ones.

I'm also not a fan of hyper attacks which are ultimately just crowd clearers (except when the grunts are powered up via rally/boss auras). Would rather they stick more to having a second moveset that can actually damage bosses as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Hisahide is still the best.