Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haggins posted:

I just installed a proclip for my 6S+. The phone holder part just clips mostly to the sides of your phone leaving all the stuff at the bottom exposed. No problem using a charger or audio jack. This is the one I bought.

Cool! That was the one I was looking to get, except in small case flavor. I now just need to decide if I want it to cover up my hazards, a dash screen control, and part of my vent controls (2016 WRX). Trying to do anything in the car with a 6S+ and a stick shift is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Do you seriously input every purchase you make on a given day/week?

I use YNAB and yes, I manually input everything. It's usually only a max of like 2 or 3 things a day, with most days being 0 purchases, so it's not that bad. When you input your purchase, it gives you a live update of how much you have left for that category, which is super nice.

YNAB is pretty polarizing on SA. I love it, personally, and it's what got me to get my spending in check and properly budget for poo poo. I used Mint prior to YNAB, but I could just rack up a bunch of purchases and never check my budgets because it took forever to refresh all my accounts every time I opened the app. YNAB is pretty instant since it uses Dropbox to sync between your devices.

I wouldn't recommend using YNAB unless you used the PC/Mac version to set your budget though. That's one thing the mobile app lacks. The iPad can set budget figures, but it's more cumbersome than just doing it on a PC.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wouldn't recommend using YNAB unless you used the PC/Mac version to set your budget though. That's one thing the mobile app lacks. The iPad can set budget figures, but it's more cumbersome than just doing it on a PC.

Don't you need a PC/Mac to initially set it up anyway? I prefer the iPad for setting budgets, it feels super smooth and simple.

Though if you wanna set up new categories you'll need to use the PC/Mac version which can be a bit annoying but on the other hand you're not supposed to create categories willy-nilly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No clue since I set mine up on PC. But if you can't create categories on the iPad, then yeah I'm willing to bet you have to do the initial setup on PC.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

No clue since I set mine up on PC. But if you can't create categories on the iPad, then yeah I'm willing to bet you have to do the initial setup on PC.

The PC/Mac version is absolutely required to even get started. iOS versions basically are just client versions and can't do poo poo unless you have set up your budget on a PC/Mac version.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Krakkles posted:

I'm thinking this might just be a Waze issue, but ...

When using Waze and Music.app in my car (on a 6S), having waze open seems to lower the sound output level (volume) for the music as well. It's intermittent, but consistent enough to be annoying. Is this a known thing? I enabled sound check to fix it, but that basically made everything quieter, so I'm not loving that.

I've noticed this as well, I thought it was just something odd with my 5S, but my 6S is doing the same.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

For anyone with a ProClip car mount, can I still plug in a charger if I get the cheaper $39.99 adjustable holder? Or is the Lightning port covered by the holder? It seems a bit silly to pay $89.99 for it to just include a USB cigarette lighter adapter and a piece of plastic that holds the cable in the holder.

There will eventually be a $59.99 option for the lightning cable

e: You could just buy a 6 one. There's no reason for there to be a 6S one, honestly

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anything like the Apple leather case but in a hard plastic? I find that the leather gets too dirty. I touch money all day long so it makes me wonder whats on it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

obi_ant posted:

Anything like the Apple leather case but in a hard plastic? I find that the leather gets too dirty. I touch money all day long so it makes me wonder whats on it.

The brand Obenauf's makes good leather cleaning/preserving stuff, but requires some usage once a month or so if you really want to keep it clean.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I mean, I guess, but YNAB'S budgeting engine seems more robust than Mint's. Maybe I should try out Mint's budget thing.

Do you seriously input every purchase you make on a given day/week?

I don't use YNAB but a different app where I input everything manually - I'm tempted to try YNAB because of this discussion as there are a few niggles with the one I use.

I don't see how it could work without entering everything manually? Maybe it's a cultural thing (jumping to the conclusion that you're American, sorry if I'm wrong), in the UK most people still spend a chunk of money in cash - lunches, beers at the pub, small purchases when shopping.. They're all small payments but all add up and I don't see the point of using a budgeting app and then writing off a bunch of spending as "petty cash" or something. Any integration with Mint (which last time I checked wasn't available over here anyway) would miss all this obviously.

Honestly I don't really need it these days, and certainly not the budgeting side - I started tracking my spending at an old job where I got in a mess with claimed/unclaimed expenses. These days the only real need for it is keeping track of whether housemates have paid me for shared bills and vice versa.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The way I look at it is, the apps that automatically add your expenses are spending trackers, while YNAB is a budget enforcer/fixer. Some people need one, some the other.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I don't use YNAB but a different app where I input everything manually - I'm tempted to try YNAB because of this discussion as there are a few niggles with the one I use.

I don't see how it could work without entering everything manually? Maybe it's a cultural thing (jumping to the conclusion that you're American, sorry if I'm wrong), in the UK most people still spend a chunk of money in cash - lunches, beers at the pub, small purchases when shopping.. They're all small payments but all add up and I don't see the point of using a budgeting app and then writing off a bunch of spending as "petty cash" or something. Any integration with Mint (which last time I checked wasn't available over here anyway) would miss all this obviously.

Honestly I don't really need it these days, and certainly not the budgeting side - I started tracking my spending at an old job where I got in a mess with claimed/unclaimed expenses. These days the only real need for it is keeping track of whether housemates have paid me for shared bills and vice versa.

I use cash maybe twice a month. I try to keep a $20 bill on me, but since I get waived ATM fees I'll just withdraw for those rare times I need cash. Even food trucks now mostly take pay,nets through square.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Going though the Android to iOS growing pains and I need some help... Is there any way got me to get around the ridiculous 100mb limit over cellular on the App Store? I have unlimited data and limited WiFi access currently, so I'm really using my LTE as my primary data stream.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

zenintrude posted:

Going though the Android to iOS growing pains and I need some help... Is there any way got me to get around the ridiculous 100mb limit over cellular on the App Store? I have unlimited data and limited WiFi access currently, so I'm really using my LTE as my primary data stream.

Not without jailbreaking! It's silly but if you have a laptop you could use the phone's portable hotspot, download the content to iTunes, and then transfer over via usb or wifi sync.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Since I updated I have had a weird bug. I disabled data on some apps such as Twitter but I'm trying to renable and its just not sticking. For Twitter, I'm even getting notifications but I can't respond.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

zenintrude posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. I guess it's cool that Apple is trying to save peoples' data plans, but 100MB at a time seems a little low. Maybe it's for the doh-dohs who turn on automatic updates over cellular without knowing it can destroy their data usage.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

Since I updated I have had a weird bug. I disabled data on some apps such as Twitter but I'm trying to renable and its just not sticking. For Twitter, I'm even getting notifications but I can't respond.

Did you update to 9.0.2? It's supposed to fix that issue.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I've noticed this as well, I thought it was just something odd with my 5S, but my 6S is doing the same.
Ok, so it's not just me.

Oddly, I don't remember my 5S ever having that issue. Come to think of it, though, I did change the voice in waze when I went to the 6S, so maybe that's it?

Do you use the voice that speaks street names? (Jane, I think?)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

obi_ant posted:

See my post on the previous page. Apple's silicon cases fit just like the leather cases, and they don't get dirty like the leather. That said the black leather case hides all dirt pretty well.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

banana allergy posted:

Did you update to 9.0.2? It's supposed to fix that issue.

I didn't know it was a thing. Wish I checked this before I left the house.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Dirt = patina. Plebes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Dirt = patina. Plebes.

The patina will surely raise the value of the case in 10 years, it's an investment.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

zenintrude posted:

Way way back in early iPhone days (3G release) this was 10mb and was a concession Apple made to the large US carriers, who demanded it for reasons, or so the rumours went. I suspect it was to make measily 100/250mb plans that were around at the time seem workable, who knows.

Sadly there is still a limit, but you can get around it on a free wifi hotspot.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So here's a fun tech support question:

I noticed my lightning dock wasn't charging my iPhone 5S.

Tried the lightning cable sans dock, and it works.

Tried my iPad Mini on the dock and it charges. Weird.

At this point, I'm convinced that the pins in the charging port are somehow damaged. No debris in the port, no amount of wiggling on the dock triggers a charge.

I hard-reset the phone (powerbutton and home button)....Now it works.

I don't get it, should this be something I should be worried about?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Snuffman posted:

So here's a fun tech support question:

I noticed my lightning dock wasn't charging my iPhone 5S.

Tried the lightning cable sans dock, and it works.

Tried my iPad Mini on the dock and it charges. Weird.

At this point, I'm convinced that the pins in the charging port are somehow damaged. No debris in the port, no amount of wiggling on the dock triggers a charge.

I hard-reset the phone (powerbutton and home button)....Now it works.

I don't get it, should this be something I should be worried about?

Have you tried cleaning lint out of the port? Use a toothpick or safety pin to clean gunk out. I thought my phone was hosed but it turns out cleaning the port made it work marvelously

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
So my Apple Music trial ended, and now music I own refuses to play, saying I need to subscribe.

Is there something I need to do for it to recognize I've previously bought these songs through iTunes?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kaizoku posted:

The patina will surely raise the value of the case in 10 years, it's an investment.

It's called vintage, it's worth a lot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whoever it was who said the android keyboard is much better now, it just took me 10 minutes* to send a message on my fiancé's Samsung s6, because the phone refused to let me write an o in lowercase. Every sentence lOOked like this.

* hyperbole, but massively annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, Samsung doesn't use the Google keyboard.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So can anyone point me to a write up on Apple Pay and what the best cards to use it with are / what places are accepting it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair, Samsung doesn't use the Google keyboard.

Of course, why would the only android phone people actually buy be representative of the platform.

Still have no idea why it was doing it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Etrips posted:

So can anyone point me to a write up on Apple Pay and what the best cards to use it with are / what places are accepting it?
There really aren't any better cards than others. Everything except my HSA card works with it at this point. I did read a blurb about Discover doing some extra cash back promo on Apple Pay purchases through the end of the year so maybe look into that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I wish Kroger would start taking Apple Pay so I could do all of my regular shopping without taking out my wallet :argh:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Krakkles posted:

Ok, so it's not just me.

Oddly, I don't remember my 5S ever having that issue. Come to think of it, though, I did change the voice in waze when I went to the 6S, so maybe that's it?

Do you use the voice that speaks street names? (Jane, I think?)

No I don't, I have voice turned off, got tired of being constantly notified of broken down cars on the shoulder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I will say this: most of my cards are easy to approve (no more than clicking an email link), but my credit union debit card required me to call and give a bunch of verification info. I'm gonna guess that it's an outlier.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I wish department store cards were supported. Would be convenient to have Macy's/Gap and the like on Apple Pay so I don't have to carry around those cards.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 4, 2015

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

I wish department store cards were supported. Would be convenient to have Macy's/Gap and the like on Apple so I don't have to carry around those cards.

100x this. Once I can go into Target and the like and use their cards with Apple Pay I will be down to my phone and Metro Pass.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wish Kroger would start taking Apple Pay so I could do all of my regular shopping without taking out my wallet :argh:

Seriously. My local Kroger-owned grocer went shiny new NFC a couple years ago, then yanked them all for old school terminals last year, and then put in shiny new EMV terminals a couple months ago... and they still don't accept chip cards (despite now having the slots unblocked and lit up).

I figure we'll finally get Apple Pay around the time we're all paying with buttcoins via telepathy. Their loss; I can do a good 75% of my shopping at Whole Foods and Sprouts now (competitively!), and that sweet, sweet 11% cash back Discover's giving me is just the cherry on top. :shrug:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Are carriers and apple running low on stocks? I can't find anywhere near me that has the 6s+ at all, att told me it would be like a month until they have any more. My 6+ did the bending poo poo from being in my pocket and I'm getting it replaced at the Apple store on Tuesday, looks like I'll have to wait a while to upgrade to the S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mike-o posted:

Are carriers and apple running low on stocks? I can't find anywhere near me that has the 6s+ at all, att told me it would be like a month until they have any more. My 6+ did the bending poo poo from being in my pocket and I'm getting it replaced at the Apple store on Tuesday, looks like I'll have to wait a while to upgrade to the S.

All 5 Apple locations around me were out of stock of the 6s+'s on Thursday. I had foolishly gone into one store near me thinking it wouldn't be an issue, they checked their inventory for ATT/T-Mobile variants and they were out. I went back home and started to comb through Apple's inventory tracker and everywhere was sold out. I went to go do something and happened to check the store near me and they had a Rose Gold 64gb in stock which I promptly reserved and picked up.

That being said I would definitely try using the website as soon as the stores open.