Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bennyfactor posted:

Self-sealing stem bolt.

I like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I assume that just gazing upon such a thing has a price tag in the low tens of millions, but... I still want one. ed: this was about that DMG CNC mill.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Please don't stop posting pictures of this, I'm almost there.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
As far as I can tell, corn in the fridge is sending these pictures from heaven. It's the only possible answer.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Sinestro posted:

I assume that just gazing upon such a thing has a price tag in the low tens of millions, but... I still want one. ed: this was about that DMG CNC mill.

We got one much like that but with smaller chucks recently where I work. We didn't need to do much bigger than 3" bar. It's loving amazing. As I recall it was more in the 500k range.

What I want explained is how the gently caress it lined up that bottoming tap? Are they keyed and matched to the tapered tap?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Proper Bel-Camino.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Sadi posted:

We got one much like that but with smaller chucks recently where I work. We didn't need to do much bigger than 3" bar. It's loving amazing. As I recall it was more in the 500k range.

What I want explained is how the gently caress it lined up that bottoming tap? Are they keyed and matched to the tapered tap?

That, and then where it made the keyway with a bunch of vertical strokes were probably the most impressive parts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Huracán review won't run until next week (some Android thing is more important) but since the videos we put together are already on our YouTube page I thought I'd share them with y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGlPKcTSGlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtW42rhKUaQ

Hope people like them—if I'm honest I consider AI one of my target audiences (what with this being one of the very few non-lovely car forums on the entire internet).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

drgitlin posted:

The Huracán review won't run until next week (some Android thing is more important) but since the videos we put together are already on our YouTube page I thought I'd share them with y'all:

Hope people like them—if I'm honest I consider AI one of my target audiences (what with this being one of the very few non-lovely car forums on the entire internet).

There must be some atrocious forums out there.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

El Scotch posted:

There must be some atrocious forums out there.

Have you ever been outside of SA? It's a loving wasteland out there of stupidity and trolls. We might get ridiculed on places like Reddit for being behind a paywall but my god it keeps the undesirables out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well usually. There's a non-zero population of goons who randomly divebomb threads with some of the most inane stupid drivel. Makes you want to stab someone.

I mean they usually get probated instantly but that only happens after you're forced to suffer through their terrible post.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

corn in the fridge best vegetable in the fridge

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uKV4BHaWdA

i cannot loving wait for this. it's going to be amazing and i would kill to see a double showing of le mans and then this.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

deep impact on vhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uKV4BHaWdA

i cannot loving wait for this. it's going to be amazing and i would kill to see a double showing of le mans and then this.

I saw a screening of it in Austin last month. It was really good and some of the footage is breathtaking. Warning, you might tear up a few times.

If you haven't already got it, the book A French Kiss With Death (about the making of the movie) is excellent.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

drgitlin posted:

I enjoyed the first one I just watched. You know what I hate about making videos? Picking the buyout music to use. No matter how much time I waste sifting through samples I always end up with something I think will only serve to distract from what the people should be listening to. You can't just have a video with two dudes talking in a Lamborghini and ambient sound filling the gaps, but I can't help focusing on the standard corporate licensed music in the background.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Not exactly a sleeper, but definitely cooler than it would appear at first glance on the street: Someone is selling an armored Fleetwood built for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I found out the joint chiefs had nothing to do with getting blazed at the white house listening to Death Grips in the Lincoln Bedroom :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

davebo posted:

You can't just have a video with two dudes talking in a Lamborghini and ambient sound filling the gaps...

You can if you just loving stand on it at any point where you're not talking.

:getin:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

I saw a screening of it in Austin last month. It was really good and some of the footage is breathtaking. Warning, you might tear up a few times.

If you haven't already got it, the book A French Kiss With Death (about the making of the movie) is excellent.

Those flappy paddles are HUGE. Nice videos.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoiWpJLokEc

Yeeees, yeeees keep revving I'm almost theeeeerrre

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
the owner of that 914 needs to chill out

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

drgitlin posted:

I enjoyed the second one especially. The anecdote about the emergency hatch release (and similarly about parking a lambo before backup cameras were a thing), were nice little tidbits of information that I don't think the average reviewer (if there is such a thing when it comes to supercars) would bring up.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

ReelBigLizard posted:

It sounds like a machine gun that shoots chainsaws. And my god, its beautiful.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Stones. This guy's got 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IquegFIrBU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I wanna see how flatsided those tires are

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Uh, I hope something something broke in the suspension or steering. Otherwise that guy is a pretty lovely driver and lost control by jerking the wheel side to side under hard braking.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 3, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

jamal posted:

Uh, I hope something something broke in the front steering/suspension. Otherwise it looks like he just decided to jerk the wheel to each side under hard braking and pretty much lost control on purpose.

Comments say he boiled his brake fluid and realized coming in that he had no brakes so he pitched it sideways to stop it. I'd be sketched the gently caress out :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jamal posted:

Uh, I hope something something broke in the suspension or steering. Otherwise that guy is a pretty lovely driver and lost control by jerking the wheel side to side under hard braking.

Yeah, dude lost brakes so he pitched it in sideways.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Still pretty dumb. Would you rather go into the wall straight on or at some undetermined angle/sideways?

Plus there's the whole poor maintenance, poor track day prep, and ignoring the deteriorating brakes that led up the the situation.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 3, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jamal posted:

Still pretty dumb. Would you rather go into the wall straight on or at some undetermined angle/sideways?

Plus there's the whole poor maintenance, poor track day prep, and not ignoring the deteriorating brakes that led up the the situation.

Won't argue about the prep, but given the choice I'd rather be going slower regardless of impact angle.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ReelBigLizard posted:

holy poo poo!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jamal posted:

Plus there's the whole poor maintenance, poor track day prep, and ignoring the deteriorating brakes that led up the the situation.

Yeah, I don't do track days but I imagine when the brake fluid boils you should be able to feel them fading before they fail completely.

I'd never guess that it's like flipping a switch or something.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

I enjoyed the second one especially. The anecdote about the emergency hatch release (and similarly about parking a lambo before backup cameras were a thing), were nice little tidbits of information that I don't think the average reviewer (if there is such a thing when it comes to supercars) would bring up.

Thanks!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can't wait to see it finished and running :allears:

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

jamal posted:

Guys bring GT500's to the HPDE's I go to, and the brakes on those cars are woefully undersized. Even with good fluid and race pads, you'll still overheat and boil them after a few laps braking on the straights (if you ever got full throttle, guys that bring them stopped doing that).

Car has waaaaay too much power, way too heavy, and not nearly enough brakes for how fast they get going down the straights. Problem is, I don't see how you could possibly give it even more brake though, oem fronts are already enormous.

Would need brake ducts and curved vane rotors, but not sure that will help enough to do more than a few hot laps ever :/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What about cooling the brake fluid? By heatsink or radiator or otherwise.

Or Routing it through the HVAC.

And another caliper.
And an air brake.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What about cooling the brake fluid? By heatsink or radiator or otherwise.

Or Routing it through the HVAC.

And another caliper.
And an air brake.

Or using an appropriate fluid designed for track use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Don't see the big deal. Brake fluid will start steaming off my kart's reservoir if I do four 10 lap sessions back to back. FInding out you've lost your brakes on the straight is just part of the thrill of racing in my opinion :colbert: