Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I feel like I'm still a boot sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Applying to a couple of reach tier 1 schools HBS, Stanford, Sloan, and Kellogg. My safer bets are UVA Darden, Georgetown, UT Austin, and William and Mary. Also applying international for INSEAD but this one I can complete post deployment for their January start.

My undergrad GPA is a decent 3.8 in engineering. Haven't taken the GMAT but it's going to be a challenge prepping for it while doing workups. Also a minority, which is why I think I have a decent shot and plenty of leadership/unique experiences being in the Navy.

It's so incredibly easy to write a compelling essay based on SWO experience. You'll be fine and you'll probably be accepted to at least one of your reach T1 schools. Seriously, nail your interviews and apply in the first period and you'll be on your way. Remember that you've achieved vertical growth in leadership/management (versus generally horizontal growth for most candidates), that you have a wide array of experience, and that you have a fundamentaly strong skillset that you're looking for X school to refine in order to pursue your desired career.

The GMAT will matter less for you than it does for someone who has no/minimal actual leadership experience. When you look at the middle-80% you can fall anywhere in that and be accepted with a strong application.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

I feel like I'm still a boot sometimes.

That's because that was the last time we were in the Navy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Beastmaster approves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So this is kind of interesting. With USS Simpson (FFG-56) being decommissioned today, USS Constitution is the only commissioned ship in the Navy to have ever sunk an enemy vessel. :pwn:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Null Integer posted:

Made it to Pensacola in one piece, gently caress that was a lovely trip. If you ever fly with pets, take extra caution to make sure the idiots handling your pets know what the gently caress they are doing. Also, boots are the best because they literally tremble in fear at the sight of a first class. (I still hate boots)

I feel weird when I do something wrong and no one yells at me. :ohdear:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anita Dickinme posted:

I feel weird when I do something wrong and no one yells at me. :ohdear:

Same. I prefer to be yelled at because you at least know how your boss feels about it. Senior officers who act like everything is okay then slap you with a counseling chit seemingly out of nowhere are the worst.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Howard Phillips posted:

Applying to a couple of reach tier 1 schools HBS, Stanford, Sloan, and Kellogg. My safer bets are UVA Darden, Georgetown, UT Austin, and William and Mary. Also applying international for INSEAD but this one I can complete post deployment for their January start.

My undergrad GPA is a decent 3.8 in engineering. Haven't taken the GMAT but it's going to be a challenge prepping for it while doing workups. Also a minority, which is why I think I have a decent shot and plenty of leadership/unique experiences being in the Navy.

Check out Tepper too. Lower in the rankings but vet friendly and may be a good fit with your engineering background, the MBA program here emphasizes analytics.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Godholio posted:

So this is kind of interesting. With USS Simpson (FFG-56) being decommissioned today, USS Constitution is the only commissioned ship in the Navy to have ever sunk an enemy vessel. :pwn:

Not quite

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I watched a DDG sink a Dinghy once, that was p sweet.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Did the constitution ever sink a ship in its like 300 year commission

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Outright sinkings weren't common back then. They weren't even desirable. Better to capture the enemy vessel and sail her back into a friendly port as a prize.

That said, the constitution fought and captured the hms guerriere, but the crew saw guerriere was too damaged, so they burnt the ship at sea.

Constitution defeated 5 british ships in the war of 1812: Guerriere, Java, Pictou, Cyane, and Levant.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

That said, the Constitution fought and captured the HMS Guerriere just by being the biggest bad asses on the block. Then decided it was a huge piece of poo poo and burned the motherfucker instead. Captain Isaac Hull was noted as saying "Rekt" before continuing on fuckin bitches and capturing ships.

Edited for American Exceptionalism.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Actually did REALLY well during the War of 1812, especially since the USN only had a handful of seagoing ships; the RN was basically putting a small fleet anywhere they thought they'd find of these goddamned frigates. Guerriere was the first of several British ships sunk or captured. And Constitution fought in several other wars before languishing and almost being forgotten.

Edit: Yeah, capturing was much better. Against England, you had a decent chance of finding captured Americans serving aboard ("impressed") so you got to free them, ransom the crew back to England, and put a new ship into service for just the cost of repairs. Guerriere had actually been captured from France in the first place.

It's worth mentioning that these frigates generally served in that war with 44 guns aboard. The Royal Navy had more battleships with 80+ guns than the USN had SHIPS out to sea. IIRC the US tried to build two 80+ gun ships, but both had to be destroyed before they were finished.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Those six frigates were also very nearly not built and had a TON of roadblocks to hurdle from both Congress and shipbuilders alike.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

Against England, you had a decent chance of finding captured Americans serving aboard ("impressed") so you got to free them, ransom the crew back to England, and put a new ship into service for just the cost of repairs.

I met this old British... well poo poo I don't know what you call their Chiefs, but he was a salty old senior NCO in the RN in my Task Force at Rimpac, and he explained that back in the day, basically every enlisted sailor in the Navy was there against their will. The crews of these ships would collect drunks sleeping in alleyways or kidnap street kids and so forth, and you'd wake up from your hangover with a coin in your hand. At that point, you'd been paid from the royal treasury ("taken the Queen's shilling," it was said, which remains to this day a folksy euphemism for serving in the Navy and what I asked him to explain the meaning of that prompted this chat), and if you tried to run then away you were a deserter, and they'd hang you or whip you or whatever lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Actually did REALLY well during the War of 1812, especially since the USN only had a handful of seagoing ships; the RN was basically putting a small fleet anywhere they thought they'd find of these goddamned frigates. Guerriere was the first of several British ships sunk or captured. And Constitution fought in several other wars before languishing and almost being forgotten.

Edit: Yeah, capturing was much better. Against England, you had a decent chance of finding captured Americans serving aboard ("impressed") so you got to free them, ransom the crew back to England, and put a new ship into service for just the cost of repairs. Guerriere had actually been captured from France in the first place.

It's worth mentioning that these frigates generally served in that war with 44 guns aboard. The Royal Navy had more battleships with 80+ guns than the USN had SHIPS out to sea. IIRC the US tried to build two 80+ gun ships, but both had to be destroyed before they were finished.

I'm not a navy historian but I recall reading that the 3rd rates on the stocks were converted down by cutting off the top deck but the oversized main mast was retained. I think the French term recycled was "razee".

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

It's worth mentioning that these frigates generally served in that war with 44 guns aboard.

They were "rated at" 44 guns. An enemy captain sees the ship, says ok it's a frigate, looks like she has X guns. I can take her. Constitution and her sisters ships carried more guns than was typical, which is one of the reasons she beat those british ships.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Her bottom tier are 24lbs which was way above average size too. The top deck had 32lb carronades. Some of those Brits had only 12lbs main guns. Overmatched for all British frigates and came close to being able to tackle 3rd rates.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

They were "rated at" 44 guns. An enemy captain sees the ship, says ok it's a frigate, looks like she has X guns. I can take her. Constitution and her sisters ships carried more guns than was typical, which is one of the reasons she beat those british ships.

Absolutely right. I meant to type "around 44" but oh well. Constitution was carrying over 50 during the fight with Guerriere. Still not a match for a British 74 or 80, which would also operate with a couple of frigates alongside. One of my favorite aspects of this war is the Admiralty getting so fed up with American frigates capturing whatever they ran across that they issued an order that nothing smaller than a line of battle ship (70+ guns at the time) would engage them. :lol:

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm not a navy historian but I recall reading that the 3rd rates on the stocks were converted down by cutting off the top deck but the oversized main mast was retained. I think the French term recycled was "razee".

A razee was a battleship with the upper deck removed. I just dug into one of my books to avoid talking out of my rear end; the US laid down three 74-gun battleships in 1813. Independence was completed the following year, but was used to defend Boston Harbor rather than deployed during the war (wise move). The other two, Washington and Franklin, weren't launched until late 1815, after the war was over. The US didn't build any razees during the war, but Independence was cut down in the 1830s from a 90 to a 54...she was actually commissioned until 1912. The British did modify a few ships during construction into razees because their battleships couldn't keep up with the USN frigates.

There were several frigates under construction throughout the war. Columbia specifically was burned by the yardmaster along with the entire Washington Navy Yard when the British landed near DC. That's what I was thinking of.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

As undergrad history major (STEM masters and real job now because ha, liberal arts) and Chief, I couldn't be happier about this thread right now. So feel free to go back to boot bitching or noble problems to spit me.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I got to take the Constitution underway. Starting up an engine room is less work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mad Dragon posted:

I got to take the Constitution underway. Starting up an engine room is less work.

I got a buddy serving on it right now. I love her pictures of it being worked on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I toured it when I was at SWOS years back. Pretty nifty little ship.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mad Dragon posted:

Is it true they assign Nuke EM/ETs to work saline monitoring equipment and the like?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I got a buddy serving on it right now. I love her pictures of it being worked on.

That ship is seriously the main reason I want to visit Boston.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

That ship is seriously the main reason I want to visit Boston.

If I was only 20 years younger I would have volunteered to serve on her. I may have been rejected for my acne at the time but who knows.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

I toured it when I was at SWOS years back. Pretty nifty little ship.

I toured it once when I was an e3 and every time the guide turned his head I touched all the surfaces with my hands cause I knew those idiots had to polish and clean that poo poo all the time.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know an AT that has it as his first ship.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I've toured her a few times. She's awesome.

The XO/CO job on CONSTITUTION pops up on my slate from time to time. Too bad it's basically career suicide.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seems like a semi chill way to wind down your career. Or do they insist on only staffing it with young XO with elite sea-war-fighting skills?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SEALs of the Sail

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ManMythLegend posted:

I've toured her a few times. She's awesome.

The XO/CO job on CONSTITUTION pops up on my slate from time to time. Too bad it's basically career suicide.

That's surprising. You'd think it'd be a prestige thing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
take the co job then make the ship take multiday patrols every week

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ded posted:

take the co job then make the ship take multiday patrols every week

Take that bitch on interdiction runs with the CG and keep telling themt o back off, as you're going to broadside the gently caress out of a cigarette boat

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

African coast pirate interdiction. Worked well last time.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The thought of some mentally imbalanced CO making a Coast Guard cutter tow the ship while he tries to cross the T on boat loads of cuban immigrants is an amazing mental image

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think a bow chaser could handle a Cuban refugee boat just fine.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Applewhite posted:

That's surprising. You'd think it'd be a prestige thing.

Technically it's a "special mission" job which means the folks who get selected for it have already failed to screen for "command afloat". Sometimes it pops up on the regular O4 billet list for some reason though.

Nobody cares about history and prestige. It's all about staying operational or doing a community "production" job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Or you could take it on an impossible Down Periscope style exercise with a rag tag crew and even have a female officer on board

• Locked thread