Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Some journalists on Twitter are arguing that the "stuff happens" quote is being taken out of context and that everyone is freaking out that he equivocated shootings as just "stuff." Bullshit. Bush's context is that massacres happen and will continue to happen, and the government should just accept it if doing anything about it involves any sort of new regulations.

It's an unacceptable premise that would never fly for any other threat to American lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Some journalists on Twitter are arguing that the "stuff happens" quote is being taken out of context and that everyone is freaking out that he equivocated shootings as just "stuff." Bullshit. Bush's context is that massacres happen and will continue to happen, and the government should just accept it if doing anything about it involves any sort of new regulations.

It's an unacceptable premise that would never fly for any other threat to American lives.

More to the point, he doubled down on the quote later. If it was out of context, he should have clarified, not doubled down.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Popular Thug Drink posted:

nine americans murdered by american: "oh well, stuff happens, what can you do"

four americans murdered by libyans: "this is completely unacceptable. we must discover what happened and prevent this from happening ever again, no matter how long it takes"

Imagine Hillary saying "Stuff happens" at a Benghazi hearing.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeb-bush-gun-laws_560ee5fde4b0768127020a88?utm_hp_ref=politics

quote:

“I said what I said,” he said.

"A child drowns in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools," he continued. "Well, it may not change it. Or you have a car accident and the impulse is to pass a law that deals with that unique event, and the cumulative effect of this is in some cases -- you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people, burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder for people to protect liberty, and that is, the whole conversation today was exactly about that. That as we shift power up to Washington, D.C."

Is is this real? This can't be real. :psyboom:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You realize this guy is running for the GOP nomination right? A firm rejection of the "nanny state" mentality is going to make him more popular.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That sounds perfectly consistent with Republican thinking and I don't see how its a gaff among his base.

He's arguing against government overreaction in their minds.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

That sounds perfectly consistent with Republican thinking and I don't see how its a gaff among his base.

He's arguing against government overreaction in their minds.

that's the funny part, they have to win so they can lose. you have to make yourself toxic enough to capture enough of the republican base so that you can become too odious to convince the rest of the country to vote for you. the strange part is that none/few of the republicans so far have the balls to be publicly sane

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Remember when a handful of college kids died from drinking too much Four Loko and now Four Loko doesn't exist anymore? If the solution that gun violence is more guns then I want more Four Loko.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well he didn't necessarily say we should do nothing. His solution seems to be mandating praying in schools.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Remember when a handful of college kids died from drinking too much Four Loko and now Four Loko doesn't exist anymore? If the solution that gun violence is more guns then I want more Four Loko.

old school four loko, not the baby kind they tried remaking, the kind that you drink one and you die

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lol you're right

"A child drowns in a pool and the impulse is to pass a law that puts fencing around pools," he continued. "Well, it may not change it. Or you have a car accident and the impulse is to pass a law that deals with that unique event, and the cumulative effect of this is in some cases -- you don’t solve the problem by passing the law, and you’re imposing on large numbers of people, burdens that make it harder for our economy to grow, make it harder for people to protect liberty, and that is, the whole conversation today was exactly about that. That as we shift power up to Washington, D.C."

so jeb bush is in favor of full drug legalization?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol you're right

I presume he'd give the traditional "since we already have pools, cars and guns we can't add weed on top of it."

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm glad we all collective said "poo poo Happens" after 9/11.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SedanChair posted:

You realize this guy is running for the GOP nomination right? A firm rejection of the "nanny state" mentality is going to make him more popular.

Yep. No one on the right gives a poo poo.

SirPablo posted:

I'm glad we all collective said "poo poo Happens" after 9/11.

Probably should have. Less people would have died.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Four Loko still exists, they've been pre-rolling their lovely ads all over videos on the internet. Also it's a godawful beverage for any purpose, including getting drunk for cheap because OE800 exists as do Steel Reserve tallboys. It's like the Axe to Smirnoff Ice's Curve.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Where's the party that takes the (100% correct) "poo poo happens" attitude on guns, 18+ drinking, terrorism, drugs, police sobriety checkpoints, etc etc? I want to vote for that guy.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

If he's okay with mass shootings and drowned children, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything he wouldn't be okay with.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

If he's okay with mass shootings and drowned children, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything he wouldn't be okay with.

See, that's what great is conservatives will hold up comments like yours as proof that liberals don't understand the real world and want to institute thought controls.

While liberals decry Bush and those that will support his comment as unfeeling pro-drowning children monsters.

Both sides win...

America loses

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Stuff happens and they get an abortion.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Four Loko still exists, they've been pre-rolling their lovely ads all over videos on the internet. Also it's a godawful beverage for any purpose, including getting drunk for cheap because OE800 exists as do Steel Reserve tallboys. It's like the Axe to Smirnoff Ice's Curve.

It's no longer caffeinated so there's really no point. I wanna get Loko dammit.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

What does a fence around a pool, seat belts, airbags, and gas tanks that do not spontaneously explode all have in common? They are all job-killing Washington regulations. As President, I promise a dead kid in every pool and a human body through every windshield.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

It's no longer caffeinated so there's really no point. I wanna get Loko dammit.

Brew coffee with redbull and pour in a few shots of cheap vodka.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

old school four loko, not the baby kind they tried remaking, the kind that you drink one and you die

Four Loko doesn't kill people. People who drink Four Loko kill people.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DeusExMachinima posted:

Where's the party that takes the (100% correct) "poo poo happens" attitude on guns, 18+ drinking, terrorism, drugs, police sobriety checkpoints, etc etc? I want to vote for that guy.

Welcome to the Libertarian Party!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DeusExMachinima posted:

Google Ron Paul

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

:agreed:

I don't think it's the government's job to protect people from making dumb decisions.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Welcome to the Libertarian Party!

I used to consider myself a libertarian because I support that stuff but then I found out that 99% of libertarians don't give a gently caress about those issues, they just want low taxes and no business regulations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MaxxBot posted:

I used to consider myself a libertarian because I support that stuff but then I found out that 99% of libertarians don't give a gently caress about those issues, they just want low taxes and no business regulations.

Don't forget the marijuana!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MaxxBot posted:

:thejoke:

The problem is that government regulations are good when it comes to actually keeping us safe from predatory business practices and negative economic externalities. Libertarians refuse to acknowledge this distinction.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

There'd better be a good reason for hostility to that one besides "I drive better when I've had a few."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
It's like he couldn't have picked a worse analogy.

Look, I can play republican better than Jeb here. "HEY WE GET THAT CRAZY GUY WHO CRASHED HIS RV ON CRUISE CONTROL AND NOW THERE'S A WARNING SAYING CRUISE CONTROL WON'T DRIVE ITSELF, WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF NANNY STATE"

Instead he says "man, what's next, keeping kids from drowning in fukken pools? i've got a pool boy for that dammit."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I remember that. A million parents saw a story on CNN about Four Loko as the greatest new threat to college students, and immediately put down their rum and coke to call their senators to make sure something was DONE about the dangers of caffeinated alcohol. It's a pretty great model of crisis response, we should definitely follow it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Brew coffee with redbull and pour in a few shots of cheap vodka.

That sounds loving disgusting.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

There'd better be a good reason for hostility to that one besides "I drive better when I've had a few."

You shouldn't be able to pull someone over without evidence that they actually did anything wrong. It's not a pro-drunk driving position to not want people pulled over at random to check their BAC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MaxxBot posted:

You shouldn't be able to pull someone over without evidence that they actually did anything wrong. It's not a pro-drunk driving position to not want people pulled over at random to check their BAC.

There's nothing very random about pulling everybody over, drinky.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's better if you toss in a few ground up adderall.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Just like Four Loko.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I don't think mandatory pool fences are how one gets the middle class vote

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

Imagine Hillary saying "Stuff happens" at a Benghazi hearing.

She said something like "at this point what difference does it make?" during a Benghazi hearing, and they trotted that line out for years trying to make her seem callous and indifferent.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Arresting everyone with an above ground pool would probably be extremely effective from a crime control point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's nothing very random about pulling everybody over, drinky.

They ought to have probable cause though.

• Locked thread