Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Canopus250 posted:

Well good to know. It was legitimately the first time I ever thought the game was bullshit unfair. The Octo guy went third total in the initiative order, guarded the exploding corpse, and then it exploded on its turn on the 2nd turn. Outside of killing it on the first action or two with a Highwaymen/Graverobber crit there just seemed like no answer to that. I guess in the future I'll just have to run if I see that combination, ugh.

From the hotfix that just sent live:
•Removing guard when the guarding actor gets stunned.

Full patchnotes here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Neat! So I have not played in a bit and was looking for some hints as to what kind of team/skills to think about for the Flesh boss fight. I really have no idea what to expect.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The change in the narrator's voice is distracting (and not for the better). :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Canopus250 posted:

Neat! So I have not played in a bit and was looking for some hints as to what kind of team/skills to think about for the Flesh boss fight. I really have no idea what to expect.

The Flesh can shift to high damage, high prot forms. AOE bleed/blight/stun is good, tanking and healing abilities can also be useful to soak up damage while you wait for vulnerable forms to beat on. Flexible targeting abilities is hugely important for your attackers.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Canopus250 posted:

you want a party that can reliably hit enemies in any position in the formation.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Canopus250 posted:

If you're fighting him at Champion level, +Dodge is a really, really good choice. The first time I fought the Champion-level Formless Flesh, I got completely destroyed before I even had a chance to act. Admittedly, I ate a double-crit in that opening salvo, but it was devastating. You almost certainly cannot out-heal the amount of damage you stand to take if he goes full-offense, so having a way to negate the damage entirely is a really good failsafe for those times when you just can't scrounge up the healing. I Houndmaster and the Man-at-Arms +Dodge camping skills are both good bets.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

really dig the narrator's foray into Command and Conquer voice acting with his

destroy

Them

ALL

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Started a new manor after the cove update and having loads of fun with my lowbies. Feels smoother that trying to figure things out with my old lvl 5 heroes. New narration lines feel... Odd. Maybe just something to get used to? Love the hound. Not even the houndmaster. Just the dog :) And the new corpses. How can anyone turn them off when they look so good :gibs:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Only done one pass through the Cove but new corpses own.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone had good results with the arablest? Had a couple get killed now and with both it felt like they weren't having much effect, like I'd rather have had any class in that slot both times.

I really like Arblests, and have one in my party for most excursions, given my choice. They probably have the strongest Mark-centric attack (At Champion level, it gets an insane +90% damage / +9% crit), can hit any rank with it, and can bring some AoE to the party too. They also get the awesome 'Restring crossbow' camp skill that gives a huge buff to all their attacks, and there are multiple really good Arb-only items.

That said, they really only shine when they can focus a single, marked target for several rounds. The damage of her AoE is worse than other characters (Although it comes with knockback and debuffs), and her single-target damage is good but not amazing if she's hitting non-marked enemies. I like having the Houndsmaster there to mark things for her, since the Arb's mark has no debuff, she's accurate enough to not really need to occulist's -Dodge, and the HM's -Resist is super good.

Arb - HM - BH - Hellion is one of my favorite boss-murdering setups. My usual solution to bosses is just to damage race them, and let me tell you, these folks can tear poo poo down.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's probably more jarring because it's been so long since they added more voice lines to the game. They've probably got better / different equipment for starters.

Some of the lines for killing with DoT's are great. 'Slowly, quietly, that is how a life is taken.' :stare:

It's a been a while since I booted this up, but is there anywhere that explains the turn / speed mechanics?

It just seems to be a complete clusterfuck about who goes when. Sometimes one character gets two actions in one turn, other time a monster gets two or three and rips my party in half despite being surprised. :psyduck:

limited fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 3, 2015

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

limited posted:

It just seems to be a complete clusterfuck about who goes when. Sometimes one character gets two actions in one turn, other time a monster gets two or three and rips my party in half despite being surprised. :psyduck:

Monsters (except the bosses) never act more than once a turn. They could act last on one turn, and then first on the next turn and maybe that's what you're talking about. It's very rare, but it can happen.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Monsters (except the bosses) never act more than once a turn. They could act last on one turn, and then first on the next turn and maybe that's what you're talking about. It's very rare, but it can happen.

With the new surprise mechanics, enemies can go twice in a row, since now they go last if they're surprised. If your incompetent dudes whiff all their attacks, the enemy might just go twice in a row and murder some poor, inaccurate hellion.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Black Wombat posted:

I really like Arblests, and have one in my party for most excursions, given my choice. They probably have the strongest Mark-centric attack (At Champion level, it gets an insane +90% damage / +9% crit), can hit any rank with it, and can bring some AoE to the party too. They also get the awesome 'Restring crossbow' camp skill that gives a huge buff to all their attacks, and there are multiple really good Arb-only items.

That said, they really only shine when they can focus a single, marked target for several rounds. The damage of her AoE is worse than other characters (Although it comes with knockback and debuffs), and her single-target damage is good but not amazing if she's hitting non-marked enemies. I like having the Houndsmaster there to mark things for her, since the Arb's mark has no debuff, she's accurate enough to not really need to occulist's -Dodge, and the HM's -Resist is super good.

Arb - HM - BH - Hellion is one of my favorite boss-murdering setups. My usual solution to bosses is just to damage race them, and let me tell you, these folks can tear poo poo down.

Yeah this seems to be what I was assuming, just had some bad luck + focus on the arablest I think.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

limited posted:

It's a been a while since I booted this up, but is there anywhere that explains the turn / speed mechanics?

Basically, ignore your speed. Ignore anything to do with your speed. The enemy will always go first when you don't want them to, no matter how much faster your guys are supposed to be. To see this in action, visit the Cove.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Jade Star posted:

After actually reading the patch notes, that is it. Those goddamn dogs just planting bleeds all over my party and those bloody mushroom artillery blighting everyone is loving irritating.

So getting the surprise round is now actually worse for lower level characters because there's a chance they'll eat two enemy turns in a row against quicker enemies. Because they won't have the abilities to debuff / kill quickly on the first turn. :gonk:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Basically, ignore your speed. Ignore anything to do with your speed. The enemy will always go first when you don't want them to, no matter how much faster your guys are supposed to be. To see this in action, visit the Cove.

While this isn't technically true, it's not far off either. Usually my high speed, like 7+ characters will go first reliably, like my PD or graverobber. But for everyone else it's a pretty big crapshoot.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Cove monsters in general seem extraordinarily fast. Thankfully, the exploding zombie isn't. Everything else, though... it's rough.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

really dig the narrator's foray into Command and Conquer voice acting with his

destroy

Them

ALL

Most of his new quotes from the ones I've heard are 'nastier' than his old ones. It's the only word that fits. More vicious, more destructive, darker than before. Maybe it's deliberate, maybe not.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Bloodly posted:

Most of his new quotes from the ones I've heard are 'nastier' than his old ones. It's the only word that fits. More vicious, more destructive, darker than before. Maybe it's deliberate, maybe not.
He's been looking into the early access abyss for too long. :unsmigghh:

Seriously, so much garbage in that section of Steam.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Yeah, they're a bit more on-the-nose. Like, even the previous "violence is happening" lines like MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE STRIKE more sort of allude to what's going on, rather than explicitly revel in it.

I don't really mind, though, it just means the narrator as a whole has changed character. It'd be interesting to have it where the more bloodthirsty narration only comes out at higher dungeon levels or darker light levels, though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There is one new line he has that i just hate. it's something about glimmer of hope in the darkness and then 'or is it just a trick.... of the... light?' and he delivers the last bit of the line like he's fragmaster in doomhouse and it's just so terrible compared to everything else he's done.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Jade Star posted:

There is one new line he has that i just hate. it's something about glimmer of hope in the darkness and then 'or is it just a trick.... of the... light?' and he delivers the last bit of the line like he's fragmaster in doomhouse and it's just so terrible compared to everything else he's done.

Yeah this is the worst culprit.

Honestly I like the line "Greatest is the blade that cuts on its own" or something like that.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Just started playing this. I'm about 5 hours into it and it's so drat good.

But seriously, gently caress the Cove and it's stupid overpowered bullshit!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well, Dacre finally bit it in week 39. Always lose guys when I actually bother putting decent trinkets on them, he had two very rare ones. Those pig centaur guys are no loving joke, critted him and stunned my healer and then one of those pig torsos puked on him for the deathblow.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 4, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

thebardyspoon posted:

Well, Dacre finally bit it in week 39. Always lose guys when I actually bother putting decent trinkets on them, he had two very rare ones. Those pig centaur guys are no loving joke, critted him and stunned my healer and then one of those pig torsos puked on him for the deathblow.
More dust, more ashes.... more disappointment.

That has to be up there on the list of worst ways to die, vomited on to death by a festering pigcreature in the disgusting sewers of some old crazy dead guy's mansion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thebardyspoon posted:

Well, Dacre finally bit it in week 39. Always lose guys when I actually bother putting decent trinkets on them, he had two very rare ones.

You know that if you can still win the fight you can loot the trinkets back right? I realise this might be easier said than done when you've just lost a dude.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
:stonk: well the cove is brutal. 8 bleed for 5 turns from those big lobster fuckers.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

paranoid randroid posted:

:stonk: well the cove is brutal. 8 bleed for 5 turns from those big lobster fuckers.

It's honestly excessive when you compare the level of difficulty from other dungeons.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

You know that if you can still win the fight you can loot the trinkets back right? I realise this might be easier said than done when you've just lost a dude.

What? When I won they weren't in the loot I'm pretty sure and when I got back to town they definitely weren't in my trinket box.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

thebardyspoon posted:

What? When I won they weren't in the loot I'm pretty sure and when I got back to town they definitely weren't in my trinket box.

it seems to be pretty random as to whether you get your trinkets back, just winning the fight doesnt guarantee anything.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Godmachine posted:

It's honestly excessive when you compare the level of difficulty from other dungeons.

I never used to buy Bandages or Antivenom before the Corpse and Hound update. Ever since then, the game has been so much harder and more lethal that I take 6 of whichever cures the preferred DoT of whichever dungeon I'm running.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I picked this up yesterday after playing a bit with the a very early build, and I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of classes and skills I can choose from. Is there any beginner guide that talks a bit about classes and builds?

I know the very basics like "stress is more important than health", "don't even think about removing afflictions until level 2" and "use 4 nobodies until they break, fire them and get the next batch, you bastard".

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Iron Chitlin posted:

it seems to be pretty random as to whether you get your trinkets back, just winning the fight doesnt guarantee anything.

Huh, guess I've just been lucky so far then.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I picked this up yesterday after playing a bit with the a very early build, and I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of classes and skills I can choose from. Is there any beginner guide that talks a bit about classes and builds?

I know the very basics like "stress is more important than health", "don't even think about removing afflictions until level 2" and "use 4 nobodies until they break, fire them and get the next batch, you bastard".

Well, off the top of my head...

Stuns are almost always really good. If a character has a stun and it's not super limited in some way, it's probably worth taking.

(The slots in the rest of this are notated 4321-1234, so the player 1 and monster 1 are right up against each other.)

Front Line

Crusader is pretty much a bog-standard paladin. Goes in the front line, good against the skeletons and such in the Ruins, gets a touch of defensive and healing abilities. Wants to be in slot 1 or 2, wants to attack slot 1 or 2. If you can repeatedly bump him out of slot 1, he can attack slots 3 and 4 reasonably well, otherwise not really.

Man-at-arms is a tank, and a really good one. Wants to be in slot 1 or 2, can attack slots 1-3, has abilities that buff his defense and let him take hits for buddies. Has an ability (Rampart) which moves him toward the front lines, stuns, knocks monsters back, and isn't disabled in slot 1, A+ would recommend.

Leper is basically self-sufficient, with a number of self-heals/buffs, and while his inaccuracy is very annoying at low levels, the accuracy boost from leveling skills lets his high damage shine. On the flip side, absolutely terrible mobility; if he gets knocked out of place he's going to spend a couple of turns waddling back into formation. Only functions in slots 1 or 2, and only attacks slots 1 or 2.

Hellion is a damage machine with some very powerful attacks that debuff her for a few rounds afterwards. Wants to be in slot 1, and can attack any slot from there.

Second Rank

Bounty Hunter can do some incredible damage against Marked targets but ideally gets someone else to set it up. Flexible positioning, but generally I put him in slot 2 or 3. Good against slots 1-3, middling against slot 4. Gets a bonus against Human enemies, like the bandits in the Weald.

Highwayman does good damage with flexible targeting and flexible placement, especially if you focus on crits and ranged attacks. If you can work out a way to regularly shuffle him into slot 1, whether by getting someone else to hop out of it or using his Duelist's Advance, Point-Blank Shot is excellent.

Vestal is the game's most consistent healer. One of her attacks keeps her topped off in health, she's got stuns and debuffs for proactive damage mitigation, and the full-party heal will pull you out of scrapes that no other class could. Really likes slot 3, can function in slot 2.

Back Ranks

Occultist is a grab bag of support abilities with a couple of decent attacks. Monster shuffling, a powerful but unreliable single-target heal, and one of the best Marking abilities for classes that care about that. Likes slots 3 or 4, but if you can work around his fragility can function in 1 or 2 and even has a stun exclusively from them. Bonus against Eldritch enemies, which is mostly the Cove.

Plague Doctor gets some powerful DOTs and support. Has a touch of healing, but isn't really useful for that unless you're also clearing off Bleed or Blight - for this reason, pairs well with Occultist, whose heal can inflict Bleed.

Arbalest is the only class which is completely at home in slot 4, sort of an inverse Leper. Mostly damage, with a touch of healing and monster shuffling mixed in. Also likes to target Marked enemies.

Mobile/Multiple

Grave Robber can sit in the back throwing daggers and helping other people get around DOT resistance, or dance around with Lunge and Shadow Fade to dodge tank.

Jester has some support and stress heal if you stick him in the very back, as well as a high-mobility style I don't have much experience with.

Houndmaster has a really good Mark and also like to attack marked enemies. The rest of it I don't have enough experience to talk about.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slot 2 is a weird spot for a vestal. I always keep mine in 3 or 4, give her the two +33% heal trinkets and let her do her thing.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, never put vestal in slot 2. Your skill choice for vestal should be single target heal, group heal, damage and stun spell, damage and self heal spell. Keep vestal in rank 3 or 4.
My vestals are almost always slot 4. My only exception is when bringing an arbalest.

Houndmaster is also probably best suited to slot 2. They can function anywhere, but slot two is where they can send the dog off for attacking, or just cudgel slam the front lines for damage and stun. There's a hound master only charm that seems common to me that is +40% stun chance for the houndmaster, and that is really great. So I almost always keep Houndy in slot 2.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
to add onto class discussion for newbs, bear in mind that different classes excel at hitting different enemy spots. arbalests and grave robbers are primo for assassinating back line nuisance enemies, but are kind of lackluster at hitting front ranks. hellions can hit just about everything from the front row, but also take debuffs from some of their attacks.

Godmachine posted:

i dont know about "excessive", but it definitely feels like it was keyed to a higher difficulty than the other areas, possibly due to all the early feedback about the game being too easy?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2015

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Holy poo poo. A tricked out Man-at-Arms is just nasty. I gave him two items increase dodge, upgraded his weapon, and upgraded the Retribution skill. Enemies can barely hit him and he smashes back with very acceptable levels of damage. I even found a camp buff that increases dodge by like +20. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Plague Doc is pretty drat nice now, imo. ran a party of Occ - PD - GR - Hell and cleaned up pretty handily. crazy good synergy with the GR cutting enemy's resistances to blight, PD making the Hellion hit like a truck with emboldening vapors (adrenaline rush + vapors + sharpen spear = critting dudes for 40+ on the regular), and the bleed from the Occultist's heal getting patched up with battlefield medicine.

PD's still kind of a tricky character to use well, compared to the straight-forward damage dealers, but she smooths out the danger curve and has a nice grab-bag of skills for most situations. also i like the new incision animation a lot.