Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Who's the first? Please do not say Charge Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crystal Man is an unforgivably boring design.

The One Punch Man guy should be ashamed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lurdiak posted:

No, gently caress YOU, Star Man. You're the second worst robot master in the series and your very existence demeans us all.

No, gently caress YOU. I'm cute as gently caress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The One Punch Man guy should be ashamed.

How many Robot Masters did YOU design?

Was it two? Were you the only one in the world who wasn't a dev to design two robot masters? No?

Murata designs robot masters in his sleep, then goes back and dreams the same dream so he can redesign them because he didn't think they were perfect enough

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lurdiak posted:

You take that back - I will cut you.

(He's my mouse cursor)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Regarding MMX hacks, there's this one, but it's pretty rage inducing.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Just played and beaten X6 and god drat I can understand now why a lot of people didnt like it. The music was pretty nice though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TopHatGenius posted:

Just played and beaten X6 and god drat I can understand now why a lot of people didnt like it. The music was pretty nice though.

I'm not looking forward to my X6 replay, I'll tell you that much. Like, X7 is probably the much worse game between the two but outside of the fight with Red there was nothing in it that angered me as much as some of the bullshit in X6, like Blaze Heatnix's stage or pretty much every Gate stage.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So does anyone have any recommendations for hacks or fan games?
Yyyyyyyes

It's me, I'm the person who has played more Mega Man hacks and fangames than any sane person should in their lifetime

So, let's start with hacks:

Rockman 4: Minus Infinity was mentioned. It's by far the most technically impressive Mega Man hack I've ever seen, but it falls into being kind of bullshit here and there. Still well worth the play.

Mega Man 2 is the game with by far the most hacks, and the big three here are Rockman 2: Gray Zone (which, in my opinion, is the best Mega Man hack out there), Rockman 2: No Constancy and Rockman 2: Deus Ex Machina. DEM gets special mention for being the only Mega Man 2 hack out there I've played that turns the items into something completely different - some hacks change the behaviours of them, but DEM makes them into movement techs instead: a high jump, temporary invincibility and a small hop that can be performed in the air any number of times as long as you have energy left.

Mega Man 1 has a bunch, and among my favourites is one of the few that makes the game easier rather than harder. A pet peeve of mine is when hack designers confuse cheap bullshit for fair challenge. Thusly, I like Rockman - Byte's Adventure. Another thing I really can't stand is mazes with rooms that aren't connected in a logical fashion, and several hacks, especially for MM1, likes using those.

Hacks for the rest are kind of few and far between, but I can recommend Rockman 5 - Wily's Dream Space.

Then there's fangames (these have been played in the fangames LP thread, too):

Mega Man: Rock Force is freeware and a very well put together game, that doesn't make things super difficult for no good reason (looking at you, Unlimited). I hear it's been updated since I last played it, too.

Nezumi Man (doesn't seem to have a website, so have a direct download) is also freeware and, well, has you playing a mouse. It's kind of silly, but it's not one of those games that hates you.

Rokko Chan is actually a flash game and gameplaywise it's somewhat inbetween classic and X. You have a dash move, but no wallgrabbing, and no upgrades.

And then there's Mega Pony. Despite the source material I'm going to defend this game as one of the best Mega Man fangames I've played. It's got very solid design, the third fortress stage notwithstanding. Good spritework and nice soundtrack. Not blaming anyone who doesn't want to touch it.

And for non-freeware fangames/clones, the first one worth mentioning is what's probably the best one, Rosenkreuzstilette. It has magic-using girls instead of robots, but don't let that put you off, because it's really good. The sequel, Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel, is also good but I find the first game better.

Finally, if you're into bullet hell, there's also MegaMari to check out. Touhou meets Mega Man and the result is basically exactly what you'd expect.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not looking forward to my X6 replay, I'll tell you that much. Like, X7 is probably the much worse game between the two but outside of the fight with Red there was nothing in it that angered me as much as some of the bullshit in X6, like Blaze Heatnix's stage or pretty much every Gate stage.

Don't play it then? You already know what it's like, just rewatch Violen's videos instead or something

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Looper posted:

Don't play it then? You already know what it's like, just rewatch Violen's videos instead or something

I'll replay it but if I get frustrated as I was back then, I'll move on. I'm kind of going through all of the games at the moment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Violen's videos are so good/

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

quote:

Touhou meets Mega Man and the result is basically exactly what you'd expect.

A pile of utter poo poo?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I remember seeing that once and thinking it looked kind of ok, but it was quite a while ago.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

alcharagia posted:

I still rewatch them now and then. So good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

A pile of utter poo poo?

:confused:

Isn't Touhou just some series of relatively easy vertical shooters?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

alcharagia posted:

What's up with Violen anyways? He still kicking around?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Motto posted:

:confused:

Isn't Touhou just some series of relatively easy vertical shooters?
They're easy for bullet hell, but outside of that context still decently difficult.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

They're easy for bullet hell, but outside of that context still decently difficult.

Yeah I'm just wondering why that one guy got vitrolic, from what I know the most offensive thing about it is the dev's drawing ability.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Motto posted:

Yeah I'm just wondering why that one guy got vitrolic, from what I know the most offensive thing about it is the dev's drawing ability.

Touhou is infamous for being mixed way too often with fangames and hacks of other franchises, with disastrous results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NT0mZAt9Is

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Discendo Vox posted:

What's up with Violen anyways? He still kicking around?

he's still around and sometimes posts but I cannot blame him if he does not want to do another superhuman video game playthrough from hundreds of attempts for the internets amusement.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Finally tried the mighty number 9 demo. Goddamn Beck looks like garbage. Also why the gently caress do I even have a gun if I have to stand close at melee range to dash into them afterwards anyway? This game feels like it would have been much better as a zero game (nevermind that I kept dying because I kept instinctively thinking I could walljump)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tengames posted:

(nevermind that I kept dying because I kept instinctively thinking I could walljump)
ooh, alright, that seals it. Game's bad

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is still so strange to me that there is no wall climb, and instead is a ledge climb. I could kinda understand this if the ledge climb was there to be a small bit of forgiveness for missing a jump that slows you down a bit, but there are a lot of jumps you can only make by ledge climbing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is still so strange to me that there is no wall climb, and instead is a ledge climb. I could kinda understand this if the ledge climb was there to be a small bit of forgiveness for missing a jump that slows you down a bit, but there are a lot of jumps you can only make by ledge climbing.

Look, Inafune just really liked Blackthorne and the Stargate game on SNES.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MegaMari is by Tasofro who also made the official Touhou fighters, so they're good devs and the art is actually good.

But of course there's Mega Man + Touhou fangames that are utter poo poo!

Such as Rock Maiden! This is a thing you have to do in one of the initial "master" stages in Rock Maiden (yes, those platforms have ice physics). Guy in a Touhou IRC channel made me play and stream that game at one point, I have not played anything he's wanted me to ever since.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That doesn't look that hard. Visually hideous and sounds like poo poo, sure, but not especially difficult.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheKingofSprings posted:

How many Robot Masters did YOU design?

According to this old notebook of mine, 47. Although I'm not sure of the viability of Maple Man anymore.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure of the viability of Maple Man anymore.

He would be perfect for the boss of Canada if someone did a Mega Man game based on real-world countries.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

He would be perfect for the boss of Canada if someone did a Mega Man game based on real-world countries.

We already had Blizzard Man

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JustJeff88 posted:

Wasn't that partly the story of Mega Man 6?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Touhou is infamous for being mixed way too often with fangames and hacks of other franchises, with disastrous results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NT0mZAt9Is

Raising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEtgP3zq08

It features Air Man so that makes it relevant, right?

Petiso fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 3, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

What's a Violen video?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Darth TNT posted:

What's a Violen video?

Enjoy! His SA username is Violen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Enjoy! His SA username is Violen.

:stare: He reminds me why MegaMan games are fun. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
gently caress nebula grey

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

alcharagia posted:

50 Shades of Nebula Grey

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nebula grey is easy if you have float and the thing that cracks all the ground, much like most things

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really like the Legends games but I have a problem with them in that I think it costs way too much money to upgrade the weapons, functionally making most of them useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

alcharagia posted:

Awesome music though.