Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

What about if you're Manichean?

Change to Tengri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hambilderberglar posted:

Does the game always mention truthfully how you died, or could you have been the victim of a successful assassination attempt that doesn't reveal it was one and "died of poor health"?

Pretty sure that it always says that you died in a suspicious accident if that happens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I checked this out, but they're all in .ogg form. Are there mp3 versions anywhere, or do I just have to deal with the quality hit and turn them to mp3s myself so I can listen to them elsewhere?

I didn't honestly pay attention because my cheapo Sensa mp3 player plays .ogg files just fine, it turns out (and so does winamp which I use on my PC). But iphones/ipods don't :shepicide: So yeah if you're using an iwhatever you'll have to convert them I guess.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Does the game always mention truthfully how you died, or could you have been the victim of a successful assassination attempt that doesn't reveal it was one and "died of poor health"?

I'm pretty sure the only death text if you were whacked is "died under suspicious circumstances," or I think maybe if you're a kid you might get "died in an accident". "Died of poor health" just means the RNG hosed you. It's what you get if you just randomly die when you're still young (under 45, I think), which is low probability but can happen even in your 20s and even if your Health score is high.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So, uh..Ironman mode keeps turning itself off somehow. Every time I try to play with it activated I can only play for a couple decades before the game reverts back to normal (saves stop being encrypted, autosaves switch back to yearly, console becomes enabled).

It's kind of annoying because I have no self-control and it's the only way I can keep myself from abusing the console.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You get "Died under suspicious circumstances" when you are assassinated and "Died in an accident" when you take a choice in an event that kills you.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Welp, after uniting Francia and establishing the HRE as King Karl, it's time to pass my legacy on to my sweet son, Pepin. Take it away, Pepin!

*Pepin is immediately assassinated*

*Stuck playing as child grandson for eight years*

Pepin nooooo

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
So my primogeniture heir joined the varangian guard and came back a zealous orthodox, and, ostensibly, he's heir to the Fylkirate. What are the implications? How do I solve this seemingly massive problem?

Edit: Haha nevermind he got his rear end murdered by one of my vassals. Wish the dude would step forward so I could give him a high five.

Edit 2: Wait no for whatever reason he just isn't in line for succession anymore? Anybody know why that would be? Could it have anything to do with his conversion?

Aisar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is he the heir to a church?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Whats a good easy, small duke level start that isn't loving Ireland Tutorial Island? I wanna get back into this game easily, but I don't wanna play Ua'Brien again. Charlemagne to crusaders, whatever works.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

SeaTard posted:

Is he the heir to a church?

Nope, he ain't heir to poo poo. He's a Baron-rank vassal of a Jarl of the Reformed Germanic Kingdom of Saxony.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doesn't the Fylkirate count as a 'church' in this instance, i.e., if the heir converts to a different religion he'll be removed from inheriting it?

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Doesn't the Fylkirate count as a 'church' in this instance, i.e., if the heir converts to a different religion he'll be removed from inheriting it?

I don't have an "heir" to the ducal-level title of the Fylkirate. It's just automatically associated with the empire-level title of Scandinavia at this point, I believe. Also, he lingered on as heir to the empire of Scandinavia for at least a couple of months. He just all-of-the-sudden stopped being my heir, and I just assumed he had died until I checked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aisar posted:

Baron-rank vassal of a Jarl of the Reformed Germanic Kingdom of Saxony.

...church/temple leaders are baron-rank vassals. I know it's a stupid-rear end question but are you SURE the "baron-rank" isn't in fact a religious title? That's about the only thing I know of that can remove the eldest son from being heir by Primogeniture. That or going celibate.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

...church/temple leaders are baron-rank vassals. I know it's a stupid-rear end question but are you SURE the "baron-rank" isn't in fact a religious title? That's about the only thing I know of that can remove the eldest son from being heir by Primogeniture. That or going celibate.

Yup, Barony of Wolgast, got castle poo poo on it and everything. He ain't got any church poo poo goin on at all.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Someone with a pan-Slavic flag avatar complains about the lack of "inclusive character encoding". Just another way CK2 devs continue to oppress the Slavic people and deny their rightful glory as 4th Rome with revisionist history.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Which of the DLCs are worth buying in this sale?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which of the DLCs are worth buying in this sale?

Basically all of them, although if you're REALLY short on money then some are probably going to get you more mileage than others.

Top tier:

1) Old Gods. New start date. Pagans. Vikings. Generally just good times.
2) Legacy of Rome. Retinues and castration. The latter only applies if you're Greek culture but retinues are for everyone.
3) The Republic. Opens up Merchant Republics, which are like a whole different game and tons of fun to play.
4) Horse Lords. Like the Republic, but Nomads instead of Merchant Republics.
5) Way of Life. Lets you pick "life focus" and comes with a load of new events related to that. You'll get use out of it no matter who you play.

Mid tier:

1) Sons of Abraham. Lots of new stuff for Catholics, which you will probably play at some point. Lets you play as Jewish rulers but they're basically a challenge option so not as big a feature as the Catholic stuff.
2) Charlemange. Another new start date, and tribes. Only down here because tribes aren't really as interesting as vikings from Old Gods. Also lets you create your own custom kingdoms and empires if you have enough power.

Only if you're interested in it tier:

1) Sword of Islam. Lets you play Muslims. They're cool but does nothing if you don't intend to play as them.
2) Rajas of India. Same deal as SoI - doesn't really introduce anything noteworthy outside of India so only worthwhile if you want to play someone there. For some reason converting to the local religion/culture of your territory is tied to this DLC, so if that particular ability is important to you then you'll have to get it.
3) Sunset Invasion. Adds a horde invasion from the west as the Aztecs invade Europe around the same time as the Mongol horde from the east. Balances out the map a bit and they have their own flavour events if you play as them (with Old Gods since they're pagan), but a minor DLC otherwise.

Everything else is cosmetic stuff - portrait/unit packs and music and stuff, which is fairly cheap and worth getting in general, but you obviously won't be missing anything vital by not getting it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just as another voice in the discussion, I'd rank them thusly:

Top tier:
1. Old Gods. Tons of important stuff.
2. Legacy of Rome. Includes some prominent mechancs, including retinues.
3. Way of Life. As Cheshire Cat said, this will add a lot to your game no matter what style you're playing (consider a mod to tone down the out of control Seduction focus, though).

Mid tier:
1. Sons of Abraham. Useless if you're not planning to play Catholic, all but required if you are.
2. Charlemagne. Gives you the earliest current start date, custom titles, and viceroyalties.

Only if you're interested in it tier:
1. The Republic. Makes merchant republics playable. They are Easy Mode once you get established. (Note that if you get this you definitely should get Legacy of Rome too; republics are the best government mod for abusing retinues.)
2. Horse Lords. Makes nomads playable. They are Easy Mode once you get established.
3. Sword of Islam. Makes Muslims playable. They're a mixed bag.
4. Rajas of India. India doesn't really interact with Europe and the Hindu mechanics are awkward and half-baked IMO, but your mileage may vary.

Don't install it even if Paradox offers to pay you to tier:
1. Sunset Invasion. A big pile of bullshit.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's the trouble with sunset invasion?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nothing if you enjoy hordes showing up at the end of the game and making GBS threads all over everything you spent 700 years building.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well I mean, that's what it's there for.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sunset Invasion is perfect tier.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
As someone who now owns all of the DLC and has sampled it all, I feel like I can say that the truly must-have DLC is Way of Life. It really caters to what sets CK2 apart from other Paradox and Paradox-style games, namely the focus on individuals and their aptitudes, traits, and personalities. It also gives you an ability to shape your character's development that is otherwise sorely lacking. However, if you have the slightest interest in CK2, you really owe it to yourself to immediately buy all the DLCs you don't have, with the possible exception of Islam/Horse Lords/Republic. Sunset Invasion is worth the price at the price point if only to experience the ridiculous alt-history insanity once or twice and having the ultra-Aztecs just kick the teeth out of your skull, shattering your "noob island" Western Europe sense of security and invincibility. It's the only DLC I have that I routinely leave switched off, but I still have zero regrets about buying it.

It really is kind of amazing how far Paradox has come as a developer. I remember the HOI2/Vicky/EU2 generation of games which, let's be honest, you had fun playing in spite of the games themselves. CK2 and EU4, especially with the DLC, are really games that are extremely fun entirely in their own right. I can't wait to see what they can accomplish with HOI4.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What's the trouble with sunset invasion?

The only problem with Sunset Invasion is that there isn't an option to switch to playing as the invaders.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

It really is kind of amazing how far Paradox has come as a developer. I remember the HOI2/Vicky/EU2 generation of games which, let's be honest, you had fun playing in spite of the games themselves. CK2 and EU4, especially with the DLC, are really games that are extremely fun entirely in their own right. I can't wait to see what they can accomplish with HOI4.

And don't forget CK2 and EU4 have come a long way since launch. Even the poor wretch with no DLC gets a lot of benefits from all those content patches. Eventually Paradox will have to come up with sequels and it's going to be tough to get them as good as CK2/EU4 are now.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man the custom kingdom thing is so weird sometimes. I formed the Ibadi Caliphate and set it as my primary title, then it along with Saana and Oman formed the "Kingdom of the Ibadi Caiphate". Something about that feels off to me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What's the fastest way to really increase your revenue? It seems like it takes forever to upgrade your tribal villages to be able to produce any amount of gold

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Don't retinue as tribal also to gain gold faster as tribal you gotta raid or change governments or make some tributaries

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a really thorough tutorial for this game? I don't know how to do either of those things. Nor what effects retinues have.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm trying to hand out a bunch of land to one guy but after I gave him the first chunk of land there's apparently no landed title I can grant him

What gives

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

What's the fastest way to really increase your revenue? It seems like it takes forever to upgrade your tribal villages to be able to produce any amount of gold

Remember that you don't get anything from a recently conquered province for 2? years if you're using county conquest on it, and get reduced income for 20 years. And non-culture, non-religion tribes will give almost nothing until you build the first level of market in them.

In addition if possible, conquer tribes that also have a temple in them and make sure that you have temple taxes turned all the way up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

The only problem with Sunset Invasion is that there isn't an option to switch to playing as the invaders.

Reloading always works.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm trying to hand out a bunch of land to one guy but after I gave him the first chunk of land there's apparently no landed title I can grant him

What gives

I've noticed that I can't give multiple counties to some guy unless he has a ducal title.

Also in reference to the SoA dlc and it allowing play as the Jews: it's not hard at all to play as the jews if you have horse lords. Viking age khazaria is ruled by a Jewish khagan and nomad mechanics more than make up for the utter lack of Jewish allies. It's actually one of my favorite starts. I once subjugated the pope and the byzantine empire and then established Israel like a fuckin boss because even the abbassids ain't poo poo compared to hilarious Jewish horse hordes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 3, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Man the custom kingdom thing is so weird sometimes. I formed the Ibadi Caliphate and set it as my primary title, then it along with Saana and Oman formed the "Kingdom of the Ibadi Caiphate". Something about that feels off to me.

That's because of title prefix nonsense. Rather than having some way to say that the suffix of a title determines its rank, Paradox have a way to say it's a "short_title" so shouldn't have a title prefix, and put the rank that should be the suffix in the title.

The custom kingdom creation command doesn't have a way to tell it to not include the title prefix, and even if there were, you would then have the problem that you can't tell if an existing title is a short_title to know whether you should suppress the title prefix.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

prussian advisor posted:

As someone who now owns all of the DLC and has sampled it all, I feel like I can say that the truly must-have DLC is Way of Life. It really caters to what sets CK2 apart from other Paradox and Paradox-style games, namely the focus on individuals and their aptitudes, traits, and personalities. It also gives you an ability to shape your character's development that is otherwise sorely lacking.

This reason right here is why, if I were a madman or had enough patience to deal with the arcane file structure of CK2's data, I'd make a mod that allows for extending the gameplay to 1800, complete with later start dates. The early modern is the period of history I am most interested in but I'd miss the emphasis on personality and roleplaying if I played EU4.

Dunno how I'd go about implementing it. I have half-baked ideas about mechanics for constitutional monarchy: it's a decision that introduces new event-driven mechanics, your vassals start clamoring for it given some combination of conditions (certain cultural techs are unlocked/crown authority is high or absolute/neighboring realms have it/after a certain date), revolt risk factors into the ruler's ability to pass laws, a "legislative faction" can request various law reforms every few years which you're obliged to accept. There'd be expansions to the laws available to republics to reflect different constitutional forms (Crown Laws would become "Constitution" for republics, with different forms (Confederated, Federal, Unitary, Revolutionary, Dictatorial) unlocked by cultural techs), events to "betray the republic" and revert to feudal government tied to a sort of "republican tradition" mechanic linking the risk of this reversion to certain actions (one family having leadership of the republic too many times in a row, abuses of the various non-ruling families by the doge, certain new election mechanics involving bullying with military shows of force for influence, having a Dictatorial Constitution). I'd probably have to abstract exploration and conquest of Africa and the New World to events because gently caress making more map.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to change your religion? I'm sick of my bishops giving taxes to the pope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a way to change your religion? I'm sick of my bishops giving taxes to the pope.

You can go heretic by setting your court chaplain to research cultural tech and wait for the event to fire where he tries to convert you. Better be pretty strong, though, since it will give every Catholic ruler in the world the Holy War CB against you (and depending where you are, might even get a crusade called on your rear end.)

Bishop money doesn't really add up to much, though. If you're already empire strong, better to just go free investiture and vassalize the pope.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can go heretic by setting your court chaplain to research cultural tech and wait for the event to fire where he tries to convert you. Better be pretty strong, though, since it will give every Catholic ruler in the world the Holy War CB against you (and depending where you are, might even get a crusade called on your rear end.)

Bishop money doesn't really add up to much, though. If you're already empire strong, better to just go free investiture and vassalize the pope.

Part of the reason is that I wanted to use Casus Belli that comes with the king of Ireland ambition. Fabricating land claims takes too long and the pope will never excommunicate people for me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're Catholic and want to become pagan, the only way I know of is to have your heir educated by a (preferably zealous, preferably gregarious, preferably diligent) pagan. And then hope you die soon because everyone in your court will hate him and vice versa, when he returns a pagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're Catholic and want to become pagan, the only way I know of is to have your heir educated by a (preferably zealous, preferably gregarious, preferably diligent) pagan. And then hope you die soon because everyone in your court will hate him and vice versa, when he returns a pagan.

I did this with Venice and Denmark to get Germanic pagan. The bonus was that those children who converted culture as well came back with awesome names like Giovanni Giovannisson and Lucrezia Guisepesdottr.

• Locked thread