Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GhostStalker posted:

To be fair, I think she got "Being John Malkovich" mixed up with "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". We all have brain farts from time to time, especially when you're under the lights. Same way I mixed up "Olympus Has Fallen" and "White House Down" on my show.

Doesn't stop it from being hilarious when it happens, though. The South Korea thing as well.

Though OHF and WHD are essentially the same movie, and came out around the same time. That's not to say I wouldn't watch a movie where Jason Segel enters Sarah Marshalls brain and views sex with Russell Brand through her eyes though.

Point is yours is way more forgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

I don't find him especially annoying, and I like that he keeps the game moving. People that take 5 seconds to pick the next clue should be shot.

Keeping the game moving is good but he needs to stop stepping on Alex's prompts.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

haveblue posted:

Keeping the game moving is good but he needs to stop stepping on Alex's prompts.

Arthur did the same thing, and I didn't find him half as annoying as this dude. I dunno what it is, he just really rubs me the wrong way...

jojoinnit posted:

Though OHF and WHD are essentially the same movie, and came out around the same time. That's not to say I wouldn't watch a movie where Jason Segel enters Sarah Marshalls brain and views sex with Russell Brand through her eyes though.

Point is yours is way more forgivable.
Yeah, that's why I got the two of them mixed up, and why some of my NYCC Crew buddies keep insisting we have to do NYCC Artist Alley Crew movie night with WHD to rag on me for it. At least it's better than greeting me with "What is Thailand" all the time, which yes, someone does... I know he's just doing it in a friendly manner though, so no harm, no foul.

And yes, I would totally watch that movie as well.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

GhostStalker posted:

Arthur did the same thing, and I didn't find him half as annoying as this dude. I dunno what it is, he just really rubs me the wrong way...

his overeagerness and stupid high voice make me want to give him a wedgie and shove him into a locker

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the most obnoxious thing about arthur chu is nothing he wore had ever touched an iron.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most obnoxious thing about arthur chu is nothing he wore had ever touched an iron.

After he came back for the Tournament of Champions, he was a lot more neat with his clothing. But yeah, he was really rumpled during his original run.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Another victory for the Prince of Darkness

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

According to people I know in the world of quiz bowl, Matt is a pompous dick irl.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Truly shocking

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

After he came back for the Tournament of Champions, he was a lot more neat with his clothing. But yeah, he was really rumpled during his original run.

i remember he stupidly reacted to people on twitter making fun of him for not showing poo poo about sports with "i was too busy having sex with my wife" and i'm thinkin well she aint looking at your before you go on the show that's for sure.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember he stupidly reacted to people on twitter making fun of him for not showing poo poo about sports with "i was too busy having sex with my wife" and i'm thinkin well she aint looking at your before you go on the show that's for sure.

I didn't think that tweet was stupid, but yeah, people were ragging on him over Twitter long before he used his 15 minutes of fame to insert himself into social issues. His wife was the one who got him onto Twitter in the first place to respond to his critics, so there's that as well.

I remember one of the people on the other side of GG from him took responded to a video Arthur made singing along to "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift after losing the Tournament of Champions by saying that Julia would never sleep with him anyway, and when Arthur responded that he's happily married, the pro-GG guy said that didn''t mean anything. Pro-GG got so much momentum in that comment that Arthur eventually disabled comments on that video...

And yes, Matt continues to win big. And people on the Jeopardy Facebook page are continuing to treat it as the end of Jeopardy as they remember it, like when Arthur or Alex were playing and how they'll refuse to watch the show until he loses... I admit, him speaking over Alex can be annoying, but enough to turn off the TV? I don't think so. I'm gonna keep watching, and hopefully he loses before I miss two episodes from working New York Comic Con beginning next Thursday.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I hope he loses immediately because he is very awful and smelly

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

GhostStalker posted:

I didn't think that tweet was stupid, but yeah, people were ragging on him over Twitter long before he used his 15 minutes of fame to insert himself into social issues. His wife was the one who got him onto Twitter in the first place to respond to his critics, so there's that as well.

I remember one of the people on the other side of GG from him took responded to a video Arthur made singing along to "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift after losing the Tournament of Champions by saying that Julia would never sleep with him anyway, and when Arthur responded that he's happily married, the pro-GG guy said that didn''t mean anything. Pro-GG got so much momentum in that comment that Arthur eventually disabled comments on that video...

And yes, Matt continues to win big. And people on the Jeopardy Facebook page are continuing to treat it as the end of Jeopardy as they remember it, like when Arthur or Alex were playing and how they'll refuse to watch the show until he loses... I admit, him speaking over Alex can be annoying, but enough to turn off the TV? I don't think so. I'm gonna keep watching, and hopefully he loses before I miss two episodes from working New York Comic Con beginning next Thursday.

he really is loving up the show and making it not fun to watch

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

he really is loving up the show and making it not fun to watch

Opinions, man. Everyone has them.

I can agree that Matt is very offputting, but not enough for me to turn off the show. If a guy like that can make you turn off a show, maybe you really didn't like watching it in the first place.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

GhostStalker posted:

Opinions, man. Everyone has them.

I can agree that Matt is very offputting, but not enough for me to turn off the show. If a guy like that can make you turn off a show, maybe you really didn't like watching it in the first place.

im not exactly a hardcore fan but i like a little jeopardy with dinner sometimes and he's a little twerp!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't even understand what's annoying about Matt. Like, sure, he kind of acts like a serial killer and talks over Alex's prompts but whatever, a lot of other contestants are way more annoying than he is.

I'm not surprised he's a douche IRL though.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Haverchuck posted:

im not exactly a hardcore fan but i like a little jeopardy with dinner sometimes and he's a little twerp!

Some local stations a show a rerun from last year before the new episode. Not sure how many, but mine does at least. It's a nice palate cleanser after the poo poo in the current run.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like Matt just fine. :colbert:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This guy's not one of us! Get him!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Matt will never lose. The show will renamed Mattpardy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

zakharov posted:

Matt will never lose. The show will renamed Mattpardy

And somewhere, Ken Jennings assembles a rifle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's cool no matter how annoying/awful these people are there's multiple people acting like the haters are deserving of mockery.

GhostStalker posted:

it's stupid because plenty of us know a poo poo ton about sports and also have sex. and considering his general level of fitness i doubt the sex is eating up a lot of time for him.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's cool no matter how annoying/awful these people are there's multiple people acting like the haters are deserving of mockery.

Come back when you've actually made it on the show and don't appear awkward as gently caress, and then we'll talk.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Let's be real here, you have to be a pretty big loving nerd by normal people standards to even watch Jeopardy regularly. Once you're posting about it on an online forum you really have no room to criticize anyone for being awkward.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Come back when you've actually made it on the show and don't appear awkward as gently caress, and then we'll talk.

i mean i'd be awkward but in the "this is a normal dude who's nervous he's on national television way" which we see a bunch and nobody ever posts about since it's not abnormal.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Let's be real here, you have to be a pretty big loving nerd by normal people standards to even watch Jeopardy regularly. Once you're posting about it on an online forum you really have no room to criticize anyone for being awkward.

why do people do this. i bet loads of people who post about whatever on SA go out in the real world without anyone ever knowing they even read forums let alone post discussions ont hem. not everyone who plays video games/likes trivia/reads forums looks/acts like a stereotypical antisocial nerd.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
this is what pisses me off the most about guys like Matt/Brennan. They are clearly unlikable to the majority of people, and they're kids, and they never had to audition 3 times like I did and I'm a player hater

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*guy slowly serial killer smiles at the beginning and end of each show*

you goons are just like him!!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've been overseas for Matts whole run but I'm very much looking forward to seeing this creepy smile for myself when I get back to my dvr. I hope it lives up to goonspectations.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Apparently Glenn Beck isn't happy about everyone missing the Chris Kyle question.

Neither are Blaze readers.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I hated Matt in his first episode but he started growing on me in his second. I love his serial killer smile and his fingers gags.

Also, on like the third day of his run, Alex made a comment about Matt stomping people in the show's opening moments, and the camera cut to Matt doing the most hilarious "I don't give a gently caress" shrug. You can tell that he is probably a megadick in real life, but I prefer him stomping dudes to having to watch three milquetoast contestants go back and forth to win 8K.

I only wish he would be ballsier on his DD wagers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Apparently Glenn Beck isn't happy about everyone missing the Chris Kyle question.

even though they're mad for the wrong reason that's an easy question

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

but I prefer him stomping dudes to having to watch three milquetoast contestants go back and forth to win 8K.

this is the opposite reason why anyone else watches a competition.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 4, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean i'd be awkward but in the "this is a normal dude who's nervous he's on national television way" which we see a bunch and nobody ever posts about since it's not abnormal.

why do people do this. i bet loads of people who post about whatever on SA go out in the real world without anyone ever knowing they even read forums let alone post discussions ont hem. not everyone who plays video games/likes trivia/reads forums looks/acts like a stereotypical antisocial nerd.

You seem deeply insecure friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more likely you were projecting up there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is the opposite reason why anyone else watches a competition.

Watching a guy dominate the competition can be amazingly fun to watch as well, just to see how much they can win before being pulled down to earth once again. See the examples of Ken Jennings, Roger Craig, Arthur Chu, Julia Collins, Sandie Baker, and Alex Jacobs, just to name a couple of recent names from the past couple of seasons and all time greats. Love watching those kinds of games, even if getting blown out isn't fun for the other competitors, and I'm glad that Jennifer didn't do it to me and I tried to keep it close.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

gently caress Glenn Beck and people who read the Blaze. Who gives a poo poo? I could name the movie, but the name of the sniper escaped me. How's about they try doing trivia recall under such pressure. They'd probably never make it on the show in the first place. Assholes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GhostStalker posted:

gently caress Glenn Beck and people who read the Blaze. Who gives a poo poo? I could name the movie, but the name of the sniper escaped me. How's about they try doing trivia recall under such pressure. They'd probably never make it on the show in the first place. Assholes.

Yeah, exactly

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Agreed 100%

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's more likely you were projecting up there.

Yeah, the guy not complaining about random gameshow contestant personalities on the internet is the weird one probably. This is like the third contestant you've gotten overly judgmental about and then super defensive when called on it and insistent that you're totally a normal guy and mocking strangers isn't goony as gently caress.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I recognized it was the American Sniper guy, but the name Chris Kyle just refuses to stick in my head for some reason.

Also I'll go ahead and say I don't mind Matt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

you're totally a normal guy and mocking strangers isn't goony as gently caress.

normal people do this all the time lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It is ok to develop favorites and, uh less-than-favorites! It's a TV show! Just don't make it weirdly personal and start harassing them on Twitter.