Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm on 10.10.5

I downloaded an app (Flinto) from the web, but my trial ran out so a few days ago I went to the app store and bought it. However, when I go to the "Purchased" page in the app store, it shows as "Waiting," and instead of Open it gives me the option to Pause. Pause isn't clickable. If I go to the app's page in the App Store, the Install button is greyed out.

The app shows in my launcher, and I can run it - but it won't let me because of the dead trial. So it's like it's not recognizing my purchase, and is stuck. I've restarted. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Binary Badger posted:

On average, El Capitan seems to use a bit less RAM than Mavericks/YOSemenite did. It's been really drat stable so far for me.

Edit: watch everything go back to poo poo when they go to "Half Dome" or "Cathedral Rocks" 10.12.

Really, it's the same old 'make new crufty version OS followed by sleek optimized version OS later.' We saw it with 10.2-10.3, Tiger to Leopard, Leopard to Snow Leopard, Lion (crappy) to Mountain Lion (less crappy) to Mavericks (tight IMHO), and now YOSemen (verrry crappy) to El Crapitan (decent). In each of those cases it was crappy OS followed by decent OS.

When will they ever just do decent OSes to begin with..

"how about just don't put bugs in lol"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

I'm on 10.10.5

I downloaded an app (Flinto) from the web, but my trial ran out so a few days ago I went to the app store and bought it. However, when I go to the "Purchased" page in the app store, it shows as "Waiting," and instead of Open it gives me the option to Pause. Pause isn't clickable. If I go to the app's page in the App Store, the Install button is greyed out.

The app shows in my launcher, and I can run it - but it won't let me because of the dead trial. So it's like it's not recognizing my purchase, and is stuck. I've restarted. Ideas?

Maybe the App Store is trying to overwrite the trial version in your Applications folder and failing for some reason. Try deleting the app entirely and then installing it from the App Store

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Last Chance posted:

Maybe the App Store is trying to overwrite the trial version in your Applications folder and failing for some reason. Try deleting the app entirely and then installing it from the App Store
Yep, that's it. It wasn't even good enough when I deleted it, I had to clear my trash entirely before it would ask to resume. Thanks!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I tried updating and it said something was wrong with my filesystem. I ran the filesystem first aide utility and it didn't find anything. I couldn't figure out how to get out of the update loop, where it would reboot, try again and fail so I restored my backup no problem. If I try again, is there a quicker way to boot right back in to the OS and stop the update process?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Glasgow Kiss posted:

How's Office 2016 holding up for you guys on el cap? Are the stability issues wide spread or are things working ok? I just upgraded to capitan and I'm still using 2011. Would love to hop on 2016, but I just wanna know if shits really broke or not.

edit: cap is pretty good so far. things seem to run quicker and open a bit faster. maybe due to metal? this is all on a stock 2011 MBP btw.

Everything has been working fine except for Outlook, which beachballs and crashes a couple of times a day for me.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine
I can't use Mail.app to access my gmail accounts since I upgraded yesterday. It keeps complaining about it 'not following the latest security practices' or something like that. Did anyone else run into that?
Some blog mentioned disabling the option for finding settings automatically but that didn't help.

50hz
Feb 18, 2011

Low Pass
As Picasa looks terrible on a high resolution screen, and Photos.app won't read a google drive photos folder, what is a good program to use to just look at pictures smoothly and well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dev behind bartender charging new full price for a Bartender 2 app that seems to circumvent some issue with El Cap. Should have been an update :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dev behind bartender charging new full price for a Bartender 2 app that seems to circumvent some issue with El Cap. Should have been an update :argh:

I'm fairly certain you can get it at half price if you own the previous version.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I thought there was already a workaround for bartender. You had to restart, disable the security stuff, install bartenders extensions and then enable it again.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yeah, they have the instructions on their website: http://www.macbartender.com/system-item-setup/

There's other changes beyond just El Capitan / SIP compatibility, and they give a 50% discount for existing owners. I don't really have an issue with it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Radical Cut posted:

I can't use Mail.app to access my gmail accounts since I upgraded yesterday. It keeps complaining about it 'not following the latest security practices' or something like that. Did anyone else run into that?
Some blog mentioned disabling the option for finding settings automatically but that didn't help.

Gmail throws a tantrum if you try to use IMAP. Check your Google security settings for "access from less secure apps".

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
El Capitan runs basically the same as Yosemite did on my late 2013 MBA, except now I have 6 gigs fewer of sdd space. Thanks, Apple.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mission Control is SO smooth now 😻

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Glasgow Kiss posted:

How's Office 2016 holding up for you guys on el cap? Are the stability issues wide spread or are things working ok? I just upgraded to capitan and I'm still using 2011. Would love to hop on 2016, but I just wanna know if shits really broke or not.

edit: cap is pretty good so far. things seem to run quicker and open a bit faster. maybe due to metal? this is all on a stock 2011 MBP btw.

I'm actually having problems pretty regularly with PowerPoint and Word. Various errors and crashes, but I'm regularly getting issues not being able to save "read-only files" (they're not).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mission Control is SO smooth now 😻
drat straight, I used it constantly in Snow Leopard and it got crazy choppy for me from Lion onwards and this is the first time in four years I've used it so much. It's awesome and only really needs proper thumbnails for Spaces to be perfect but it's good to have it back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I was in the middle of taking a Mac out of its beta cycle and putting in the public release of El Crapitan; it had the 3rd public beta of 10.11.1 and I wanted to put it in the release chain.

I wanted to use Startup Disk to switch the boot volume to a USB flash disk with the installer on it. For some reason, the USB flash drive with the installer refused to show up in Startup Disk. I tried zapping PRAM and booting back into the 10.11.1 beta but again, the USB installer refuses to show up in the Startup Disk list.

Only way I could get the USB installer to boot was to reboot and hold down option to get the firmware startup drive picker. Wonder if it's a new security thing? The installer had 10.11 and 10.10 installers, wonder if that had anything to do with it either...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dude, maybe you should try Linux or Windows now. You've been complaining about the Mac OSs in this thread since 2011.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm only bitching about all the little changes and surprises Apple tends to leave out explanations for, whenever they do major OS upgrades.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 3, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Gmail throws a tantrum if you try to use IMAP. Check your Google security settings for "access from less secure apps".

It may also be throwing a tantrum because he's not using 2FA in TYOOL 2015.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Oh my god, the 'about this Mac' tabs actually animate smoothly.

I can barely believe it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

So I was in the middle of taking a Mac out of its beta cycle and putting in the public release of El Crapitan; it had the 3rd public beta of 10.11.1 and I wanted to put it in the release chain.

I wanted to use Startup Disk to switch the boot volume to a USB flash disk with the installer on it. For some reason, the USB flash drive with the installer refused to show up in Startup Disk. I tried zapping PRAM and booting back into the 10.11.1 beta but again, the USB installer refuses to show up in the Startup Disk list.

Only way I could get the USB installer to boot was to reboot and hold down option to get the firmware startup drive picker. Wonder if it's a new security thing? The installer had 10.11 and 10.10 installers, wonder if that had anything to do with it either...

There are a lot of security hardening things going on with 10.11, so its possible. So far I have seen that they locked down modifying apps and you can't use the bless command (or apps that call it) to set the boot volume unless you turn off some security setting while in recovery mode.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

you can't use the bless command (or apps that call it) to set the boot volume unless you turn off some security setting while in recovery mode.

Yup, System Integrity Protection in action there. The work arounds for net booting now are pretty great:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205054

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

NeuralSpark posted:

Yup, System Integrity Protection in action there. The work arounds for net booting now are pretty great:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205054

SIP has completely hosed TotalFinder which is a drat shame.

Now how do I get my folders on top?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I never downloaded Yosemite but it appears if you didn't have it before it's not in the store search - just El capitan. (Australia store).

Judging from here, this may be a good thing.

Yeast posted:

Oh my god, the 'about this Mac' tabs actually animate smoothly.

I can barely believe it.

This is the best review of El capitan I've seen yet! :D

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Van Dis posted:

El Capitan runs basically the same as Yosemite did on my late 2013 MBA, except now I have 6 gigs fewer of sdd space. Thanks, Apple.

Did you delete "Install OS X El Capitan" from your applications folder? It happens to be exactly 6 gigs in size...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Netkas confirms that Metal is only used for UI on Intel IGP. Odd/disappointing.

VVV Intel IGP as opposed to dedicated GPUs. VVV

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Netkas confirms that Metal is only used for UI on Intel IGP. Odd/disappointing.

Was this not known when Apple said it worked on post-2012 models only ?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Asking in case someone did not see the question the first time knows the answer:

Old version of iTunes 10.1.x needed. Oldversions.com has the WIndows version, not the Mac version. I can find as old as iTunes 10.3 directly at the Apple site, but I cannot find earlier ones.

Any ideas?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Van Dis posted:

Strange, lots of people report seeing a lot more freed space.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the AirPlay option on YouTube videos in Safari an El Capitan thing or am I just really unobservant?

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

kapalama posted:

Asking in case someone did not see the question the first time knows the answer:

Old version of iTunes 10.1.x needed. Oldversions.com has the WIndows version, not the Mac version. I can find as old as iTunes 10.3 directly at the Apple site, but I cannot find earlier ones.

Any ideas?

I googled up what looks to be a direct download link from Apple: http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/041-0027.20101215.AzsL3/iTunes10.1.1.dmg

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

TinTower posted:

Oddly enough, removing then re-adding the accounts fixed it without having to change anything in gmail.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the AirPlay option on YouTube videos in Safari an El Capitan thing or am I just really unobservant?
It's an El Capitan thing. It should work with most HTML5 videos just like on iOS. Until now you had to use ClickToPlugin to accomplish something similar, but it was always flakey for me. I believe the AirPlay directly from QuickTime Player is new too.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit late for Safari bookmark bar chat, but a question for the people who miss favicons: Is the favorites/frequently used sites popup you get when clicking the address bar not good enough? You can set it up to show the same set of icons when you open a new window. Personally, this feature completely eliminated the need to constantly display the bookmark bar, and once you have all your sites in there they also show in the new tab/address bar popup on iOS Safari.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Soup in a Bag posted:

I googled up what looks to be a direct download link from Apple: http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/041-0027.20101215.AzsL3/iTunes10.1.1.dmg
Google expertise acknowledged!

Thanks!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Anyone ever had an issue where trackpad click+drag stops working in Yosemite? It drags about 30px and then cancels all by itself.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
This font is really ugly but aside from that it works great. Split screen view is incredibly helpful and it's gonna make writing so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This font is really ugly but aside from that it works great. Split screen view is incredibly helpful and it's gonna make writing so much easier.

Yeah, split screen view has already become part of my daily routine, and I hope it never goes away. Being able to have Word 2016/Scrivener occupy 75% of the screen while a scaled version of my notes/thesaurus/research material take up the rest is loving amazing. The upgrade was worth it just for that.