Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Suppose Boehner steps down and the GOP and/or House are so split nobody gets elected Speaker. What happens?

The country collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Suppose Boehner steps down and the GOP and/or House are so split nobody gets elected Speaker. What happens?

I don't think the House can really more forward without a Speaker. Well, I'm sure they could change the House Rules somehow to hand wave it away, but the unity required to change the rules like that would be enough to get someone a speakership.

But if the Republicans divided their conference, you could see a Democratic brokered centrist Republican, but I doubt it. That's the one negotiating chip moderates have, is the fear of Pelosi and the knowledge her rank and file will fall in line.

So you'll see someone that isn't anathema to the moderate/business wing win in conference vote instead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Duke Igthorn posted:

Diamond Joe steps in to name Ronnie James Dio the new Speaker. And poo poo gets DONE.

SpeakerScreamer :regd10:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
re: new title :golfclap:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's no longer caffeinated so there's really no point. I wanna get Loko dammit.

http://www.itemsofpotentialinterest.com/2011/03/the-gentlemans-cocktail-an-alternative-in-a-post-four-loko-world/

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

Jeb BushVerified account
‏@JebBush
Liberal Dems & some in media distorted my words to advance their agenda in wake of tragedy. It's wrong. Thx to those who set record straight

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Maybe the Jeb! of 2000 realized that, even though government regulation regarding the safety of pools may somewhat hamper American Liberty, it would undoubtedly save children's lives and was thus a net benefit for the society.

Unlike 2015 Jeb, who wants children to be either drowned or shot to death, though you do get the liberty to choose which.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ahahahahahahaha, oh Jeb

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

re: new title :golfclap:

:agreed:

Anyone else amazed that the LIBERAL MEDIA isn't running any stories about there being armed students on campus at the time of the shooting? The only thing I've seen on it was the thinkprogress link to an msnbc interview. Nothing else at all.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Elections continue until one side can stop the other from elected. After three exchanges, they can no longer go for field goals and need to get a majority of birth password.

E: both parties but that is way too good to go back and edit

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Oh wah wah loving wah.

The only distortion that happened was my mind trying to find some way to rationalize your response as one of a human.

My mind failed in that attempt.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JehovahsWetness posted:

Jeb, the might have a bit more punch *if you hadn't signed a pool fence bill as gov* (sponsored by DWS!):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

Please tell me that DWS will make a statement about this. If she does it might almost, almost justify her being DNC chair.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

:perfect:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

Dude reeks of an entitled rich kid that's had everything handed to him. His responses to reporters questioning his statements are always so standoffish.
Yeah but so is Trump but he does it in a way that has many people wondering if he's in fact a loving campaign genius.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The Onion is being put out of business by reality.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Voting continues until a speaker reaches 50% plus 1 vote. IIRC the threshold will lower if enough people leave the city/the house for extended times.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah but so is Trump but he does it in a way that has many people wondering if he's in fact a loving campaign genius.

This is because Donald Trump does have actual decades of experience in presenting himself publicly and knows how to get an emotional response and resonance from people (even if it's not what most people would consider a "good" resonance).

Hell, he ran for president nationally once already, that's substantially more campaign experience than Jeb! has.

And yes, it's essentially impossible for there to not be a Speaker of the House. The extra-laffo scenario would be the Republican caucus being so divided that a Democrat ends up in the seat, though, through simple attrition of voting continuing until the pubs get tired of it and the dems remain, driven by the goal of pulling off the clowning of the century

it is sadly unlikely that will happen, tho

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 3, 2015

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Diamond Joe steps in to name Ronnie James Dio the new Speaker. And poo poo gets DONE.

Surely there's a requirement that the Speaker be alive?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know if you guys keep up with the gay marriage thread, but the vatican has now came out and clarified what happened with Kim Davis. There was no private audience. She was part of a group of people that met the pope in washington. At the time of the meeting he had no idea who she was and does not endorse her actions in any ways. Also they fired the ambassador that set her up to be there.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Presto posted:

Surely there's a requirement that the Speaker be alive?

The real question is if there's a requirement that the Speaker not be a dog.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know if you guys keep up with the gay marriage thread, but the vatican has now came out and clarified what happened with Kim Davis. There was no private audience. She was part of a group of people that met the pope in washington. At the time of the meeting he had no idea who she was and does not endorse her actions in any ways. Also they fired the ambassador that set her up to be there.
I live for this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

hhhat posted:

Whatever we didn't do in reconstruction we're paying for it in spades.

I'm thinking constitutional convention, reduce every former confederate state to one senator and remove all congressional districts so the people get to vote for proportional representation

And then burn all the plantations again

gently caress the south

We plant seeds in the south. We create, you just wanna move our money around

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's no longer caffeinated so there's really no point. I wanna get Loko dammit.

Rockstar has vodka drinks in Canada. We also have 4Loko, but I haven't checked the ingredients list on them.

Does anyone have a youtube clip of Obama saying, "... No." :smug: when asked if there would be another shutdown back in 2013?
My Google-Fu is failing me. :negative:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

source please. I need to shut down some people across the net-o-sphere.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

BlueBlazer posted:

source please. I need to shut down some people across the net-o-sphere.

From that thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/world/europe/pope-francis-kim-davis-meeting.html?_r=1

quote:

Instead, the Vatican said that Francis gave only one “real audience”: to someone later identified as one of his former students, Yayo Grassi, a gay man in Washington who says he brought his partner of 19 years to the Vatican’s embassy in Washington for a reunion. They even shot video.

Whole article is worth a read and should exactly suit your purposes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nintendo Kid posted:

Voting continues until a speaker reaches 50% plus 1 vote. IIRC the threshold will lower if enough people leave the city/the house for extended times.

It's 50% plus one of all present and voting members, but the election's rules can be changed at the Congress's discretion.

The last time a Speaker was elected by plurality the United States was in the worst part of the Great Depression and seemed on the verge of collapse.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 3, 2015

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

eviltastic posted:

From that thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/world/europe/pope-francis-kim-davis-meeting.html?_r=1

Whole article is worth a read and should exactly suit your purposes.

Danke.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More like a slam danke. :v:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's the interesting thing to me - it suggests that Trump has a ceiling of ~32%. Ok, that means he will not be the candidate, which keeps with what everyone expected. But it also suggests he also has a floor of ~24%. That would be what is upending all the models and why he hangs in there, usually the floor for a politician is much larger relatives wit their ceiling, so they either never get a head of steam or they fall off the map when they stumble. Trump breaks from that, and thus the baked in assumptions of the models. It is also what fucks the GOP, because a guy who commands a quarter of the base is a guy who gets to name terms and you don't talk back.

:getin:

This is a few pages old, but what terms exactly are we talking about that Trump could demand if he gets 30% of the vote?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MaxxBot posted:

You shouldn't be able to pull someone over without evidence that they actually did anything wrong. It's not a pro-drunk driving position to not want people pulled over at random to check their BAC.

They ought to just cut the occasional 3-4 lane road down to one lane with cruisers and flares and then pull over anyone who fails to use a blinker/drives like a shitter/seems drunk while trying to merge.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FAUXTON posted:

They ought to just cut the occasional 3-4 lane road down to one lane with cruisers and flares and then pull over anyone who fails to use a blinker/drives like a shitter/seems drunk while trying to merge.
Sir you seem to be suspiciously black drunk. Please step out of the... STOP RESISTING!"

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Warcabbit posted:

It's a league. There's a dinner at the end of the season and score is kept. It's a sport, you know? Seriously, not trying to play gotcha, just trying to use my personal situation to explain a specific issue.
I think what bothers people is that you and so many others have quite casually made a supposedly family-friendly sport out of playing with tools of murder.

Does it not occur to you that perhaps the fact that America is, by and large, OK with entire families loving around with lethal weaponry for their weekend recreation at least somewhat related to the fact there have been thousands of gun deaths already this year?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Trump was never part of the upper class twit club, he's always been new money. The Bush family is very much a part of that world.

That's what makes Trump the perfect weapon to destroy the GOP. He doesn't have the built-in loyalties that all the other rich people do.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Where's the party that takes the (100% correct) "poo poo happens" attitude on guns, 18+ drinking, terrorism, drugs, police sobriety checkpoints, etc etc? I want to vote for that guy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aspen is the worst.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Does it not occur to you that perhaps the fact that America is, by and large, OK with entire families loving around with lethal weaponry for their weekend recreation at least somewhat related to the fact there have been thousands of gun deaths already this year?

I will remind you that 60% of Americans do not own any guns at all, and another chunk fo the people who do own a gun (typically a family heirloom) don't ever use the gun, including at a range or whatever.

People who think it's totally cool to fire off 5000 rounds every weekend are a rather small minority. They're loud as gently caress, but still very much a minority that's shrinking all the time.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I think what bothers people is that you and so many others have quite casually made a supposedly family-friendly sport out of playing with tools of murder.
Shooting trap is a fun recreational activity for some people. I don't understand it either. The clays are much easier to hit when they are standing still and I can magdump an AK at them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Aspen is the worst.

HST posted:

Our campaign headquarters was located at a local table in Jerome Tavern on Main Street. Anyone could see what we were doing, or even help out if they felt so inclined. There was complete transparency. We ran on a very basic set of principles which I’ve included below:
1. Sod the streets at once. Rip up all the streets with jack hammers and use the junk asphalt (after melting) to create a huge parking lot and auto-storage lot on the outskirts of town.
2. Change the name “Aspen” by public referendum to “Fat City.” This would prevent greedheads, land-rapers and other human jackals from capitalizing on the name “Aspen.”
3. Drug sales must be controlled. My first act as Sheriff will be to install, on the courthouse lawn, a bastinado platform and a set of stocks—in order to punish dishonest dope dealers in a proper public fashion.
4. Hunting and fishing should be forbidden to all non-residents, with the exception of those who can obtain the signed endorsement of a resident—who will then be legally responsible for any violation or abuse committed by the non-resident he has “signed for.”
5. The Sheriff and his Deputies should never be armed in public. Every urban riot, shoot-out and blood-bath (involving guns) in recent memory has been set off by some trigger-happy cop in a fear frenzy.
6. It will be the policy of the Sheriff’s office savagely to harass all those engaged in any form of land-rape. This will be done by acting, with utmost dispatch, on any and all righteous complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HST terrified about developers!!! destroying neighborhood character on his quaint bungalow street

• Locked thread