Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

totally can't tell that the military removed your inherent resistance to killing another human

it's totally hosed up that the military trains for an ability to dehumanize and face to bloodshed

i was talking about language once with a military dude who went through an arabic immersion program. the example sentences he was using were all "to kill: i kill, you kill, they kill..." and poo poo like that

i'm like, gently caress, not everything has to be themed around state-sanctioned murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

eschaton posted:

why would you pay cash when sub-inflation financing is available? that like giving up free money.

lol as if money matters to me, I'm rich biotch

still can't afford a home in the bay area

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

it's totally hosed up that the military trains for an ability to dehumanize and face to bloodshed

i was talking about language once with a military dude who went through an arabic immersion program. the example sentences he was using were all "to kill: i kill, you kill, they kill..." and poo poo like that

i'm like, gently caress, not everything has to be themed around state-sanctioned murder

my fav is that there's absolutely no limits on vets going on into law enforcement positions

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

loll if you think

you think drug companies sell drugs cheaper in the third world because they're nice? lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

lol as if money matters to me, I'm rich biotch

still can't afford a home in the bay area

yeah but if you move anywhere else except new york you'll be all "oh poo poo a 3 bedroom for 400k?" *digs around in pocket*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i must have spent idk 4 years working on systems specifically intended to allow banks to take the maximum legal amount of risk and sometimes i try to tell people it's a bad idea but i am paid well so....

anyway what I'm saying is coding is collaborating

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

at the date posted:

they were gonna do that anyway
i bet you tell yourself that when you jack off to pictures of dead iraqi kids

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I know I did my part to ruin Austin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the "founders" of peeple ("yelp for people") have been doing some serious facebook damage control

it is apparently a full time job just to delete the hateful comments from their fb pages

gee i wonder why people are so negative about libel-as-a-service

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
Peeple co-founder Julia Cordray told the BBC: "With any new concept there is naturally fear.

"When the people found out that the Earth was round instead of flat and that we revolved around the Sun instead of the Sun revolving around us, naturally people were upset and confused and they pushed back with all that they had."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tech Bubble: naturally people were upset and confused

alternately

Tech Bubble: the Sun revolving around us

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Peeple co-founder Julia Cordray told the BBC: "With any new concept there is naturally fear.

"When the people found out that the Earth was round instead of flat and that we revolved around the Sun instead of the Sun revolving around us, naturally people were upset and confused and they pushed back with all that they had."

I just want her to explain what millennium she even thinks those events happened

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i must have spent idk 4 years working on systems specifically intended to allow banks to take the maximum legal amount of risk and sometimes i try to tell people it's a bad idea but i am paid well so....

anyway what I'm saying is coding is collaborating

executives of banks, arms manufacturers, ad companies etc are culpable

the peons doing the work are doing it because it puts food on their tables. they're not rich enough to have a perfectly free choice in what they do with their skills in exchange for not starving to death.

(before :godwin: gets brought up there is a qualitative moral difference between writing software for an investment bank and operating the machinery of industrial scale genocide)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
maybe up to a certain level.
it's hard to sympathize with someone who opted to make 200k for a evil corporation instead of 70k for a good wholesome company.

what i'm saying is kill them all

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eschaton posted:

is there a reason people with Hep C haven't responded to this situation by going vigilante on the insurers and pharma companies behind it?

billionaire health industry execs can afford to spend a couple hundred thou on armed guards and security systems

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

(before :godwin: gets brought up there is a qualitative moral difference between writing software for an investment bank and operating the machinery of industrial scale genocide)

edit: oops i misread "operating" as "enabling," so my first reply was bad

there's a pretty significant gap between working for bad people, and, you know, actually doing bad stuff yourself

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 3, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

billionaire health industry execs can afford to spend a couple hundred thou on armed guards and security systems

more accurately, they don't have to, there is an entire police state to handle that problem. you and i pay for the guards and security around billionaire executives :q:

jeffrey winters argued the major difference between the united states and, say, feudal warlords was that american oligarchs abandon personal involvement in wealth defense and leave it to the state. in exchange for certain security guarantees, they allow the hoi polloi to impinge on their wealth in tiny ways

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

more accurately, they don't have to, there is an entire police state to handle that problem. you and i pay for the guards and security around billionaire executives :q:

jeffrey winters argued the major difference between the united states and, say, feudal warlords was that american oligarchs abandon personal involvement in wealth defense and leave it to the state. in exchange for certain security guarantees, they allow the hoi polloi to impinge on their wealth in tiny ways

oh hey perfect segue

here's a good talk by a smart dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Necc0 posted:

oh hey perfect segue

here's a good talk by a smart dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

can confirm the goodness of the talk and the smartness of the dude :thumbsup:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MeruFM posted:

it's hard to sympathize with someone who opted to make 200k for a evil corporation instead of 70k for a good wholesome company.

if you have the choice and know that the company you're working for is evil; it's entirely possible to think you're on the other side of things; no one wants to think of themselves as the bad guy. there's a lot of ambiguity even in, say, working for Google or Apple - are they good or bad?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i wonder if there's a way to re-couple national prosperity with average wages without there being oceans of blood. i hope so.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

i do not require your sympathy
i do require money
easy choice

Broken Machine posted:

if you have the choice and know that the company you're working for is evil; it's entirely possible to think you're on the other side of things; no one wants to think of themselves as the bad guy. there's a lot of ambiguity even in, say, working for Google or Apple - are they good or bad?

i have worked for companies that were unambiguously, unquestionably evil. their checks cashed just the same.

it's a job. you work for someone else. then you get paid. and that's all that matters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you own a company that does terrible things, that's a very different kettle of fish

then you're just an rear end in a top hat

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
do you think the choice was that explicit for the vw folks?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MeruFM posted:

"little eichmans"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i do not require your sympathy
i do require money
easy choice

i have worked for companies that were unambiguously, unquestionably evil. their checks cashed just the same.

it's a job. you work for someone else. then you get paid. and that's all that matters

tragedy of the commons must have caused this dystopian cyberpunk present

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

i wonder if there's a way to re-couple national prosperity with average wages without there being oceans of blood. i hope so.

i don't think we can just fire-bomb most of the industrialized world to induce another twenty years of global rebuilding, any war on that scale would just go nuclear if you did it now

also the western hemisphere would probably not escape completely unscathed again

also there are a few billion more people in industrial economies now for that fleeting prosperity to be spread over

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rjmccall posted:

i don't think we can just fire-bomb most of the industrialized world to induce another twenty years of global rebuilding, any war on that scale would just go nuclear if you did it now

also the western hemisphere would probably not escape completely unscathed again

also there are a few billion more people in industrial economies now for that fleeting prosperity to be spread over

we can still fix everything, we just need to dump everything we can into fusion technology and battery technology

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i dont agree with this

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

i dont agree with this

I had basically no choice for my last job they were the only legit company to request a second interview in 5 months

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

lol as if money matters to me, I'm rich biotech

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no war but class war

In her book A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, Barbara Tuchman writes about a peasant revolt in 1358 that began in the village of St. Leu and spread throughout the Oise Valley. At one estate, the serfs sacked the manor house, killed the knight, and roasted him on a spit in front of his wife and kids. Then, after ten or twelve peasants violated the lady, with the children still watching, they forced her to eat the roasted flesh of her dead husband and then killed her.

bankers u are next

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no war but class war

In her book A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, Barbara Tuchman writes about a peasant revolt in 1358 that began in the village of St. Leu and spread throughout the Oise Valley. At one estate, the serfs sacked the manor house, killed the knight, and roasted him on a spit in front of his wife and kids. Then, after ten or twelve peasants violated the lady, with the children still watching, they forced her to eat the roasted flesh of her dead husband and then killed her.

bankers u are next

Great loving book. You should read it to find out what happened to the peasants and all their families and their homes and their farms right afterward. And the peasants in all the surrounding villages.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at the date posted:

Great loving book. You should read it to find out what happened to the peasants and all their families and their homes and their farms right afterward. And the peasants in all the surrounding villages.

wikipedia has it covered too

it makes the idf look restrained

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

oh my

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

"To this very day the word 'Jacquerie' does not generally give rise to any other idea than that of a bloodthirsty, iniquitous, groundless revolt of a mass of savages. Whenever, on the Continent, any agitation takes place, however slight and legitimate it may be, among the humbler classes, innumerable voices, in higher, privileged, wealthy classes, proclaim that society is threatened with a Jacquerie".

lol

iirc it was literally in response to the nobles allowing the hoi polloi to starve en masse (while not hiding that they were well fed themselves ofc)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the ruling classes have always acted with disproportionate force to anything that challenges them, that's kinda history.txt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wheels within broken wheels

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

this is why we just have to kill the rich all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl