Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Please, I'm still hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

ansel autisms posted:

Please, I'm still hard

I just finished but am also curious.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

You may not have any since this was just a meetup group that hired a random model, but any thoughts on photographing latex?

I didn't do much -- there were a number of costume changes. I did notice that it picked up everything, even fuzz off of the door she was leaning on that we couldn't even see on the door. Wet paper towels made for quick clean-up, though.

I did learn, though, about how while a lucky few people look good in latex, -no one- looks good getting INTO latex.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

You may not have any since this was just a meetup group that hired a random model, but any thoughts on photographing latex?

In my experience, you should keep a couple of cans of silicon spray on hand to keep the glossy look - it also helps to stop the latex from sticking to everything it touches as well as making it easier to wipe off anything that does stick. Beyond that, it's a highly reflective surface so either accentuate that or mitigate it with your lighting solution.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

On the computer her tones seem fine. On the phone it looks off. Which is right?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Looks fine on both my computer and my phone.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

bobmarleysghost posted:

If its an android phone they tend to be a little over saturated and blue/green tinged. But it looks fine on my calibrated monitor.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It is android and it does look greenish on it. This is good. I can trust my monitor.

8th, are you on an iPhone?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bobmarleysghost posted:

It is android and it does look greenish on it. This is good. I can trust my monitor.

5s here and looks good. But how good things look on my phone is very ambient light dependent. I definitely don't use it as a measuring stick

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My 4S tends to green tint everything. Doesn't really bother me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Nah I'm on a 2015 Moto X

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Stacey
by Steve V, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
time for some lovely portraits

Nope. by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

In my experience, you should keep a couple of cans of silicon spray on hand to keep the glossy look - it also helps to stop the latex from sticking to everything it touches as well as making it easier to wipe off anything that does stick. Beyond that, it's a highly reflective surface so either accentuate that or mitigate it with your lighting solution.

also, for anyone interested, olive oil hair spray is like $2.50, lasts forever and is like a cure-all for portraits; gloss skin, gloss hair, shiny everything.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

also, for anyone interested, olive oil hair spray is like $2.50, lasts forever and is like a cure-all for portraits; gloss skin, gloss hair, shiny everything.

And you can spray it on bread and make foccia or whatevs

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But for the love of god don't spray it on Latex. The reason I asked is because I make some latex stuff on my own, and would at some point like to take pictures of it...

But if you've got latex only use latex shines and lubes on it.

I don't actually know what olive oil would do to latex but that shits so expensive I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
some kids who happen to be brothers

how is the color :ohdear:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Lucky. Every time I take one of my girls together right now , the older one has a horrible expression because she's terrified the baby will pull her hair again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

some kids who happen to be brothers

how is the color :ohdear:

I've been thinking about renting the cannon equivalent of that lens and now I'm really thinking about it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

I've been thinking about renting the cannon equivalent of that lens and now I'm really thinking about it.

Dunno what the canon is like but the nikkor one is Real Good. Everything I shoot with it turns out nice. I was getting a lot of flares that day because the sun was just barely out of frame, so I went and ordered the hood for it as soon as I got home.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Flickr over sharpened, but I'll post anyway.

Mariah
by Steve V, on Flickr

(How's my color?)

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Mariah
by Steve V, on Flickr

(How's my color?)

BLACK SMASH

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
No eye contact, too heavy on the left (I liked it that way shut up) but whatever

Steph by bang3rachi, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Mariah
by Steve V, on Flickr

(How's my color?)

I appreciate your embrace of actual blackness.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6k5tRzDuU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
iPhone pics of a couple of wet plates and then some scans of a couple of others of this lovely looking couple. Also in a band who make cool tunes if you are into your dreamy synth pop

https://soundcloud.com/s-l-o-w-m-u-s-i-c/s-l-o-w-at-midnight

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have someone they can recommend for a portrait photography session in the NYC area?

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Postin more, still new to portraits but hey it's fun!

Stevie by bang3rachi, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Also these that I hope he can use for his headshot for class:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 2, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Iphone pic of 8x10 plate

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 2, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Kid 2 turned one today. Sorry to interrupt the art with dadpix

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Masking is not too subtle.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bobmarleysghost posted:

Masking is not too subtle.

Everytime I go to use white with the kids, I run into this frustration. It's easy to blow the background out - but they sit on the poo poo and that means I've got a gray foreground that I can either attempt to bring back to white, but the shadows look too hosed around with, or just live with it.

I keep trying because I figure that's the only way it's going to get any better.

Edit: and thank you (genuinely) for letting me know it's still not up to snuff. I was uncomfortable with how they were coming out wrt the shadows off her and I figured someone here would be straight up about it

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 2, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I deal with that by not dealing with it.

SPCC4470 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Natural light via windows directly behind and to the left, but I've also lit similarly by using a big softbox literally on the ground, with the strobe propped up on something. I don't light the background separately; I instead try to get diffuse light all over the place to keep things even. I also don't go for pure white or high-key with the light wrapping. If you do want that high-key, I'd stick the light on the ground, or else reeeeal low.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dakana posted:

I deal with that by not dealing with it.

Natural light via windows directly behind and to the left, but I've also lit similarly by using a big softbox literally on the ground, with the strobe propped up on something. I don't light the background separately; I instead try to get diffuse light all over the place to keep things even. I also don't go for pure white or high-key with the light wrapping. If you do want that high-key, I'd stick the light on the ground, or else reeeeal low.

That I am going to try next time - I was using a white umbrella in front of her, but I could stick a long softbox right down on the ground and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not really attached to the pure-white thing, more that it's just something I'd like to be able to do. Seems like it's much easier with someone who will stay in one spot because you can put the light exactly where you need it. With a little kid who moves constantly it's been a bit trial and error.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This is the poo poo.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Awesome.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

you peeing in that pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

owns