Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm not British so I'm probably missing something.

Open question: How do the LW adjacent to NRx reconcile their love of sweet owns on faithtards and obscurantists via logical positivism and falsifiability with the fact that ideas like "The Cthulhu memeplex" are hilarious unobservable, unfalsifiable, and untestable?

Oh, I know this one. It comes from Making Beliefs Pay Rent. See, Christians with their unfalsifiable beliefs in unobservable things are doing it badly, because they don't act like they believe the things they say they believe. Although they pay lip service to Mark and Luke saying that Christians can handle poisonous snakes without being bitten or Christ's statement that you can literally move a mountain with faith, they don't try to do these things: they run away from deadly snakes and drive through tunnels, like everyone else. People who believe in the unfalsifiable unobservable Cthulhu memeplex, however, definitely act like they believe the things they say. They expect opposition to their ideas in popular culture, they are not surprised when people revile them or call them insane; put simply there is no gulf between their professed beliefs and their actions. A LessWronger will say that there's no difference between the Cthulhu memeplex and gravity: both act invisibly but produce predictable effects. A more astute LessWronger will conclude by saying that there's also no difference between the Cthulhu memeplex and phlogiston: they both do an excellent job predicting observed behavior but provide no novel insights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SolTerrasa posted:

Oh, I know this one. It comes from Making Beliefs Pay Rent. See, Christians with their unfalsifiable beliefs in unobservable things are doing it badly, because they don't act like they believe the things they say they believe. Although they pay lip service to Mark and Luke saying that Christians can handle poisonous snakes without being bitten or Christ's statement that you can literally move a mountain with faith, they don't try to do these things: they run away from deadly snakes and drive through tunnels, like everyone else. People who believe in the unfalsifiable unobservable Cthulhu memeplex, however, definitely act like they believe the things they say. They expect opposition to their ideas in popular culture, they are not surprised when people revile them or call them insane; put simply there is no gulf between their professed beliefs and their actions. A LessWronger will say that there's no difference between the Cthulhu memeplex and gravity: both act invisibly but produce predictable effects. A more astute LessWronger will conclude by saying that there's also no difference between the Cthulhu memeplex and phlogiston: they both do an excellent job predicting observed behavior but provide no novel insights.

loving faithtards

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

loving faithtards

Well, yeah, obviously the stupid ones will just ignore the fact that their opinions conflict, and the marginally less stupid ones will go ":words: grey tribe signalling :words:", but the question of why stupid people join cults is boring compared to the question of what mental backflips otherwise-apparently-intelligent people use to justify their phyg membership.

That's why I like mocking LessWrong so much: not only are they mostly intelligent people, they also worship the concept of intelligence, and so their mental backflips have to be more intricate.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SolTerrasa posted:

mostly intelligent people,

Lol. If you go by the phrenology test they're so fond of, I guess.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Another installment of Clarkhat saying dumb NRx poo poo on twitter:

https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/649935876672385025

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

I like how he has to specify the "first" US Civil War.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, I'm still making my way through this thread, but it seems like these Dark Enlightened are going to hold the record for how far you can crawl up your own rear end for a long time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

He has a way of making cake sound disgusting.
His logic and taste in cake are why I don't ever, ever eat cake or cupcakes. Ther eare few things less-appetizing for me than imagining an inch-thick layer of sugar and crisco slathered on poorly-made baked goods. But then again I also can't stand kirspy creme or voodoo doughnuts so..

Zohar posted:

Except the adoption of twee signifiers of middle-class Britishness does, in fact, go hand in hand with right-wing opinions.

e: If it helps any, the American analogy is that pointing out that driving SUVs and waving Confederate flags is a product of and feeds into right-wing ideology in the United States is not trying to turn a personal or aesthetic dislike into political argument, it's observing a fact.
You first said the cupcake thing was easy to read, and then you write this

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Merdifex posted:

I don't know how Ken manages not to die of Fremdscham every time Clarkhat starts spouting off on his "totally not NRx!" poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
His murder-boner is so turgid I can practically see it pressing up against the inside of my monitor. Holster that thing before someone gets hurt, patriot!

PS: load your rifle and rev up your rascal, cuz we deffo gunna take yer guns.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

That's why I like mocking LessWrong so much: not only are they mostly intelligent people, they also worship the concept of intelligence, and so their mental backflips have to be more intricate.

Actually, it's the opposite: intelligent people can be more susceptible to dumb poo poo, because the only backflip they need is "I am too smart to fall for dumb poo poo, therefore anything I believe is automatically correct and needs no examination."

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

Puppy Time posted:

Actually, it's the opposite: intelligent people can be more susceptible to dumb poo poo, because the only backflip they need is "I am too smart to fall for dumb poo poo, therefore anything I believe is automatically correct and needs no examination."

I think there was a reddit thread recently where someone with a phd in physics pointed out science errors in big Yuds fanfic, and Yud concluded without reading them that there was no possible way he would have made multiple mistakes, so the physicist must be a liar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

uber_stoat posted:

His murder-boner is so turgid I can practically see it pressing up against the inside of my monitor. Holster that thing before someone gets hurt, patriot!

PS: load your rifle and rev up your rascal, cuz we deffo gunna take yer guns.
Yeah, I really don't get a vibe of "We don't want to do this," I get a vibe of "we are desperate to murder you and start a reign of terror to reinforce our political power." Presumably if it wasn't over this, it'd be over something else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising end really, really badly? I see it mentioned by the pro-gun guys all the time but didn't the rebels lose horribly while doing almost no damage in a massive human tragedy?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Didn't the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising end really, really badly? I see it mentioned by the pro-gun guys all the time but didn't the rebels lose horribly while doing almost no damage in a massive human tragedy?
The Warsaw Ghetto was basically an effort by Jews slated for mechanized extermination to go out fighting, and maybe, possibly, break loose and get into the Polish forests where they could at least hide. It was literally that or a death camp, so they had no reason not to.

This is, I would say, not a very good analogy. Usually it seems to be an implicit threat of political violence against one's opponents, a subject generally considered to be unacceptable, except, I guess, on this particular topic.

Like you'll notice he all but says "We will all rise up and do a terrorism over this, just you watch," including threatening the families of federal agents, blasting jetliners on tarmacs, and so on. I assume the idea is to intimidate the Man into compliance, whereas I expect people would actually get really afraid of the domestic terrorist uprising, real fast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, I know that much, hence referring to it as a massive human tragedy. They had absolutely no choice. I just mean, didn't they barely even inconvenience their attackers? As in, it's not a very good example of 'And then brave civilians with guns defeated the army' like the pro-gun types like to cite it as.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Oh, I know that much, hence referring to it as a massive human tragedy. They had absolutely no choice. I just mean, didn't they barely even inconvenience their attackers? As in, it's not a very good example of 'And then brave civilians with guns defeated the army' like the pro-gun types like to cite it as.
They occupied several German battalions and assorted hangers-on and military police units for like a month. They inflicted non-trivial losses and casualties. They pretty much all got killed.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It should be noted there was a second uprising in Warsaw by the Polish underground in 1944, which failed mostly because the Soviets decided not to continue their attack when they reached the outskirts of Warsaw and the uprising broke lose. They were much better equipped than the Jews and still failed.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

I mean, they held out longer than France. That's not so bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Patrick Spens posted:

I think I was getting the two uprisings confused or something. Also the numbers I remembered were the numbers the Germans gave and, you know, never trust German casualty figures from WWII, particularly not ones that are all 'Yes this event did absolutely nothing to our invincible army.'

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://greyenlightenment.com/trickle-up-economics-policy-and-neo-liberals/

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

ArchangeI posted:

It should be noted there was a second uprising in Warsaw by the Polish underground in 1944, which failed mostly because the Soviets decided not to continue their attack when they reached the outskirts of Warsaw and the uprising broke lose. They were much better equipped than the Jews and still failed.

Wasnt that deliberate on Stalin's part to ensure there wouldn't arise a Tito like seperate commie power structure?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I don't even :psyduck:. How the hell can you possibly draw the conclusion from that graph that we need to tax the poor people even more? Holy gently caress, we have more subsidies to the rich than we do to the poor!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Job Creators, though.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

coyo7e posted:

You first said the cupcake thing was easy to read, and then you write this

Yeah?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

I don't even :psyduck:. How the hell can you possibly draw the conclusion from that graph that we need to tax the poor people even more? Holy gently caress, we have more subsidies to the rich than we do to the poor!

These fucks do not understand what society is.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Dear Mr Land, please just stop talking.

Nick Land, Worse Writer Than Mencius Moldbug posted:

The basic tenets of Heroic Reaction:

— Moldbug is over-rated.
— Capitalism needs to be brought under control.
— The errors of fascism are dwarfed by those of libertarianism.
— White racial community is the core.
— ‘Atomization’ is a serious problem.
— Answers are already easily available, so over-thinking is unhelpful, and even seriously pathological.

Unlike #NRx, #HRx is primarily a political movement. Its theoretical appetite is modest, since it has faith that everything it truly needs can be retrieved — more-or-less straightforwardly — from the folkish past.

Among the many myriads confusedly aligned with ‘Neoreaction’, a number have already expressed an explicit interest in abandoning this odd cult for a bolder, brasher, more politically dynamic successor, stripped of techno-commercial Vulcanism, race-treachery, and intellectual circumlocution. Far more would join the exodus (from #NRx) if energetically led. Others would pour in from elsewhere. All #HRx still requires is a commander. Then it could be huge.

From the moment #HRx is born, the scale of (apparent) #NRx would shrink dramatically. That is an outcome, I suspect, that could be endured among the remnant with serene stoicism.

Translated back into English, that means "the neo-Nazis will realise the gay Jewish SF nerdoreactionaries are stupid and twee and tell them to gently caress off" (or "neotenous" if we want to rejargonise, which of course we don't). Given TheRightStuff, this has basically already happened, so Nick has (a) predicted the past (b) attempted neologism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Somfin posted:

These fucks do not understand what society is.

I'd make a reference to the 1989 movie Society, but no one would get it.

divabot posted:

Dear Mr Land, please just stop talking.

Translated back into English, that means "the neo-Nazis will realise the gay Jewish SF nerdoreactionaries are stupid and twee and tell them to gently caress off" (or "neotenous" if we want to rejargonise, which of course we don't). Given TheRightStuff, this has basically already happened, so Nick has (a) predicted the past (b) attempted neologism.

gently caress yes splinter sects. Let it never be said the Far Right is far less fractious than the Far Left

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I dunno, the modern U.S. mainstream political system has done a pretty good job of getting them all marching in one direction, mostly. Don't mundane plutocrats have a history of being able to control, manipulate, and use fascist undercurrent until, well, they can't anymore?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I am now enlightened

Onmi posted:

Okay no, I'm actually jumping in and stopping this one. That's not what Sad Puppies was about and that's definitely not what Rabid Puppies was about.

So the short of it is Sad puppies came about because sci-fi writers noticed that, wait for it, it didn't really matter what you wrote, if you weren't in the clique, you wouldn't get an award. The idea was never to win an award or to stop others from winning. It was to prove that the presumed most prestigious award in sci-fi writing didn't actually consider your quality, just your politics.

As of the last Hugo's, before it, there had been 5, "No Awards" that had ever been awarded in the existence of the awards. This number doubled in one night, because 5 of them had only puppies nominees, these people nominated were men, women, varying politics, doesn't matter what they believed they were nominated for their quality. Which, for the record, is something that had been done for years in awards circles. It was not, as people would have you believe, something unprecedented and designed to kick the women and the gays out of the community.

The Sad Puppies existed to prove that if push came to shove, it didn't matter how good you are, only your politics, at the end of the night, they were proven 100% correct. They would rather deny a wonderful female editor that was well respected an award, then have someone not in the clique win. They burned down their own club house and called it a victory.

Vox is for Rabid Puppies, while the Sad Puppies just wants to point out the inherent cliquishness and see it gone, Rabid Puppies sees the awards as beyond saving and just wants to burn it down. Vox has a lot of politics and policies I personally don't agree with. But do not misrepresent what it was actually about.

I actually get loving annoyed with this, because I do write SF and Fantasy, so I'm actually aware of the poo poo that goes on. And I get really loving angry when people who don't know poo poo flap their gums and run their mouths about poo poo they have no clue about.

so your one paragraph summation.

Vox is a SF author with some pretty wonky politics who hates the inherent cliquishness of the SF community and wants to burn it to the ground so something new can be built. He wants to Senator Armstrong it. I don't personally agree with him on a lot of things, including that, but it has nothing to do about sci-fi with gays or women.

EDIT: and just for clarification, I don't vote at the Hugo's and I don't support either campaign, partially because I'm very lazy and partially because I just don't tend to enjoy conflict with people. I do like to keep myself informed of things going on in the community though.

Onmi posted:

See you can call it that but when you want to be an SF or Fantasy writer you get told over and over "The hugos are the most important thing, the most grand prize for you." So learning that, no, they aren't and no, it actually doesn't matter how good you are as a writer, it just matters how good a friend you are with everyone else. Kinda heartbreaking a little. I mean liberating because you realize "gently caress it, who cares what these people think?" But if you idolized that stuff growing up it can hurt if you made that your job.

I know a main problem people has is the clique tends to want to have its cake and eat it to. They want the Hugo's to be for them, so it's only for the participants of Worldcon, but they also still want it to be the most prestigious award in SF/F. Again, to me, it's liberating really, I never have to give a gently caress about these people because they proved to me that they don't care if I'm good or bad, only if I'm their friend. But I understand where the dislike is.

Like, this is from Brad Torgerson, who was apart of the 3rd Sad Puppies campaign (the one that just past, he both bowed out after it and refused to be nominated for the awards at the past campaign to prove that he wasn't lying when he said he wasn't interested in winning an award)

quote:

I would like this noted somewhere that a biased media hack or a vengeful troll can’t blot it out: 2,500 people from science fiction’s so-called True Fandom throws women under the bus.

Toni and Sheila are the two most-voted editors in the history of their category. Nobody has ever gotten 1,200+ and 700+ Best Editor votes, respectively. Not for short form. Not for long form. That’s historic. A win for women! Right? Wait, no. Its not. True Fandom ruined it with NO AWARD. Yup. The tolerant and inclusive True Fandom. The people who want science fiction to be a safe place for women. Until True Fandom throws those women under the bus.

Mark it in your minds, friends. Remember it. Know the truth of it. The people who parade their inclusiveness and their tolerance, threw THE MOST-TANGIBLY-SUPPORTED EDITORS IN THE HISTORY OF THE HUGO AWARDS, under the bus. By 2,500 people. To make a point. Women who have given decades to the business, got thrown beneath the wheels because people wanted to be right more than they love this field.

Deserving women. Under the bus. By True Fandom. The defenders of Hugo awards purity. Paragons of tolerance. Brave defenders of diversity. They threw women. Under the bus. Wheels. Under. By Trufen.

They cheered when it happened. They CHEERED when Toni and Sheila went beneath the bus.

And, just for clarity, Worldcon calls themselves the True Fandom. This is not some derogatory term that people have come up with for this group of cliquish people.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The fact that many of the nominees chosen strictly for their quality happened to be written or published by Vox Day himself is, of course, of no relevance whatsoever I suppose.

Considering Vox's slate was for people to vote "No Award" because he WANTED to see the awards be reduced to being meaningless? Yes, it has no drat relevance. He was happy to see the awards go the way they did. They gave him everything he wanted.

Onmi posted:

Nonsense posted:

GRRM is completely correct about that entire Hugo event and also his side won, which was the correct side. Also is this title cancelled yet? Otherwise the thread title is misleading and should be changed.
If by won you mean "Burned down their own club house and the Sad Puppies will be back for the next year so they didn't do anything but prove them right" then yeah, knocked it out of the park.

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Oct 3, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The science fiction community sacrificing an entire year of awards just to spit in Vox's face is giving him what he wanted? Sure.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

A White Guy posted:

Nah, I misread it the same way at first. It's misleading because the highest and lowest quintiles have similar colors, and they're listed in the key with the lowest quintile on top. It's showing subsidies for the bottom 40%, not for the richest.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you have a trillion dollars and the effective tax rate is 75%, leaving you with 250 billion dollars, you are not worse off than someone who has $20,000 and is taxed at 33% Jesus loving Christ :psyduck:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

When some group gets cocky about their ability to hold off the government with their guns I like to imagine how well their guns would do against carpet bombing or nukes, as opposed to however it is they think the US government would fight a civil war in TYOOL 2015. The US federal government has never half assed its response to states seceding from the Union.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah the entire notion of a militia against the US Army or National Guard is a completely stupid fantasy. If the poo poo really hit the metaphorical fan, the powers that be would probably use drones, tanks, or that truck-mounted microwave raygun thing they invented a few years back for "riot dispersion."

Go and watch people's tactical gun practice videos on YouTube and you will see a level of self-delusion that is appropriate for a seven year old. Adult men (some of them over 50 and 60) talking about how they're going to blow away the home invaders and "bad guys" who attack one at a time like in a kung fu movie.

Like, for contrast, consider war-torn countries where gangs of foot soldiers and mercenaries roam the countryside with AKs. There are plenty of guns to be had, but that doesn't stop anyone from getting shot in the head and their sister or mother dragged off. A personal gun collection is a really poor substitute for a functioning state or the rule of law.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm sure its more a freikorps like fantasy where they go after despised minority groups while cops and military stand aside and let them do their thing with silent approval or the latter just dressing in civilian clothes to do it.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I am now enlightened

The Star Citizen thread never stops delivering.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Heresiarch posted:

The Star Citizen thread never stops delivering.

Half of them are mad cultists praying to Chris Roberts to Rapture them away to video game heaven and smite the unbelievers. The other half are mad cultists praying to Derek Smart to Rapture them away to video game heaven and smite the SJW's :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah the entire notion of a militia against the US Army or National Guard is a completely stupid fantasy. If the poo poo really hit the metaphorical fan, the powers that be would probably use drones, tanks, or that truck-mounted microwave raygun thing they invented a few years back for "riot dispersion."

Go and watch people's tactical gun practice videos on YouTube and you will see a level of self-delusion that is appropriate for a seven year old. Adult men (some of them over 50 and 60) talking about how they're going to blow away the home invaders and "bad guys" who attack one at a time like in a kung fu movie.

Like, for contrast, consider war-torn countries where gangs of foot soldiers and mercenaries roam the countryside with AKs. There are plenty of guns to be had, but that doesn't stop anyone from getting shot in the head and their sister or mother dragged off. A personal gun collection is a really poor substitute for a functioning state or the rule of law.

Both the gun nuts and some of the posters here are asking the wrong question. The question is not whether the Real Americans can Take Their Country Back, it's whether a crazy right-wing insurgency could render the United States an ungovernable failed state. That would be the outcome of a "successful" attempt at "CW2"--not some fascist's utopia, but a violence-ridden hellhole where rule of law has collapsed and warlordism runs rampant. You'll still have to pay your taxes, but you'll pay them to Lord Humongous and his men will break your legs and enslave your children if you don't pay.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Half of them are mad cultists praying to Chris Roberts to Rapture them away to video game heaven and smite the unbelievers. The other half are mad cultists praying to Derek Smart to Rapture them away to video game heaven and smite the SJW's :v:

I always feel strange when among Wing Commander fans, because I think Roberts is a hack and his best work was in the first two games, when he had much better designers and writers like Warren Spector helping him, and the technology didn't allow for Mark Hamill to have a ten-minute conversation with a guy in a fursuit.

The WC3 fursuits are so terrible. I can't believe people think that's an improvement over WC2. :psyduck:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Both the gun nuts and some of the posters here are asking the wrong question. The question is not whether the Real Americans can Take Their Country Back, it's whether a crazy right-wing insurgency could render the United States an ungovernable failed state. That would be the outcome of a "successful" attempt at "CW2"--not some fascist's utopia, but a violence-ridden hellhole where rule of law has collapsed and warlordism runs rampant. You'll still have to pay your taxes, but you'll pay them to Lord Humongous and his men will break your legs and enslave your children if you don't pay.

... that's not a fascist utopia?