Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jewel Repetition posted:

So people in America of all origins and demographics are just working less and less?

Except those over 55 at first glance

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/categories/32443

They have a lot of categories to look through though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think its super cool that after dealing with a bunch of people who have been in the fox news bubble so long they forgot why they were using dogwhistles, we now get to deal with someone who's been in the GOP rarified air so long he has absolutely no concept of how normal people speak and empathize.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Jeb! making Dutch news with his stuff happens comment..we get little coverage of the primaries so he hosed up good

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Rich people are dismantling society to sell as scrap

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

euphronius posted:

There are less and less jobs so naturally, yeah.

Seems like the population aging out would contribute to that as well. My grandparents aren't seeking jobs either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Seems like the population aging out would contribute to that as well. My grandparents aren't seeking jobs either.

Actually I think the the opposite is happening. Older people aren't retiring.

The loss in job participation comes from people saying school and not looking for jobs.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

docbeard posted:

sanctum santorum.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

homeless poster posted:

that's an excellent point, and something i was really confused about during the 2012 election cycle. you have all these dudes like santorum and newt who are never going to be a serious presidential candidate, but they get all these donors to pile money into a superPAC and they get to be in the media spotlight for 15 minutes. what the gently caress happens to all the superPAC money once a guy like that drops out of the race, assuming it wasn't already wasted down to $0? can they (or the controlling entity of the superPAC) just pocket the difference? if so, i feel like "unelectable presidential candidate" is going to become a viable part-time job for american oligarchs in the coming decades

Perhaps prok chops on a stick is worth running for president for Santorum & Huckabee.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Oli posted:

Jeb! making Dutch news with his stuff happens comment..we get little coverage of the primaries so he hosed up good
:stare:

Congrats on going international Jeb!

How does it feel?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fade5 posted:

:stare:

Congrats on going international Jeb!

How does it feel?

stuff happens

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The rapidly dwindling prospect of a third bush presidency pleases me

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

euphronius posted:

Omg is boosted the unskewer from 2012?

Yeah it's important to keep that in mind when you read his posts

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Pumroy posted:

stuff happens
:golfclap:

I wasn't intending this answer, but it works.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Jeb! "Stuff Happens" Bush is hosed. Rubio literally said he's pro-Obama amnesty (in Spanish no less).

The establishment has officially lost control of the party.

:getin:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm glad that a rich person somewhere is still spending a bunch of money to finance Bobby Jindal's campaign. I bet all of these assholes are telling their sugar daddies "Just one more debate, I promise".

Jindal might be angling for the anti-Trump VP pick, though. How many people are still left in the race? What was the maximum number of candidates all time? Someone make me a pie chart

EDIT: oh my god, is Walker the only one who's dropped out?

It's not delicious pie, but Wikipedia has a Gantt chart of candidates:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

It's not delicious pie, but Wikipedia has a Gantt chart of candidates:

That one doesn't show all the primaries between Iowa and the convention, so I made a chart for all the states and territories:

As you can see, things will really pick up after the first four primaries (IA, NH, SC, NV). That's when it might be difficult for someone without a good ground game (Trump, for instance) to be everywhere at once.

EDIT: Also, this one isn't a pie chart either.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Trump really screwed up his response. Should've went with:

"I love guns. I love the people who own guns. Lots of great people. But frankly, they're killing us."

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Imagine you win the super bowl and then receive a call from Jeb Bush. Would instantly deflate the room. Same goes for Hilary.

I think if we judge our candidates by this metric we arrive at a singular stunning option.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
http://youtu.be/nxd2PICma6E

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NotJesus posted:

That one doesn't show all the primaries between Iowa and the convention, so I made a chart for all the states and territories:

As you can see, things will really pick up after the first four primaries (IA, NH, SC, NV). That's when it might be difficult for someone without a good ground game (Trump, for instance) to be everywhere at once.

You are truly the master of horribly confusing charts.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

He's probably including all Hispanics as "immigrants".

Mr Jaunts posted:

Come now, this is Boosted we're talking here. Those numbers haven't been unskewed yet.

*Sigh*

"Stereotype" posted the civilian labor force participation rate of foreign born persons. Which is something different.

I posted "three straight months of job growth for immigrants" which is true:

http://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LNU02073395

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

AAAAHHHHHHHHH

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NotJesus posted:

This is the greatest chart I've ever seen in my life

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotJesus posted:

You are amazing.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Why does everyone keep saying Trump has a terrible ground game?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Why does everyone keep saying Trump has a terrible ground game?

They think he flies from top floor to top floor on his plane, never touching the ground.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Day of the month x state is my new favorite set of axes.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Montasque posted:

Gravis Marketing did some polls for ONE AMERICA NETWORK:

National:

Bush 6.9

Iowa:

Bush 6.9%

it connotes excitement :wiggle:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

All I could find were articles from summer saying he didn't have any infrastructure. I'd say he has some in place by now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Boosted_C5 posted:

*Sigh*

"Stereotype" posted the civilian labor force participation rate of foreign born persons. Which is something different.

I posted "three straight months of job growth for immigrants" which is true:

http://beta.bls.gov/dataViewer/view/timeseries/LNU02073395

Three straight months of job growth (Jul-Sep), which puts them below where they were two months prior to three months of job growth (May).

I get where you get your reputation from. Fantastically spun.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Demand for foreign workers increasing during the late summer and fall? I can't think of why their would be such seasonal growth in this field.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

This poll, amusing as it is, has a rather unique methodology. Candidate choices aren't offered to respondents, they have to self-submit. (i.e. they say "Who are you voting for" and you throw a name out, they don't give you the list of candidates). This likely accounts for Jeb losing his soft support (the people going "Oh, there's a Bush, I guess I'm supposed to pick that one") and polling at 4 rather than his typical 8-10. It definitely accounts for the over 20% undecided, who are people who can't name a candidate. Also for why Biden does so poorly (8% on the Dem side)...presumably offering his name as a choice makes people go "Yeah, I could see Diamond Joe as President," but without that prompting they wouldn't think of him.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

CheesyDog posted:

Demand for foreign workers increasing during the late summer and fall? I can't think of why their would be such seasonal growth in this field.

This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

god this guy always seems like he's trying *just* too hard

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

is that the upgraded version of cast enlarge satan

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Patter Song posted:

This poll, amusing as it is, has a rather unique methodology. Candidate choices aren't offered to respondents, they have to self-submit. (i.e. they say "Who are you voting for" and you throw a name out, they don't give you the list of candidates). This likely accounts for Jeb losing his soft support (the people going "Oh, there's a Bush, I guess I'm supposed to pick that one") and polling at 4 rather than his typical 8-10. It definitely accounts for the over 20% undecided, who are people who can't name a candidate. Also for why Biden does so poorly (8% on the Dem side)...presumably offering his name as a choice makes people go "Yeah, I could see Diamond Joe as President," but without that prompting they wouldn't think of him.

I see it a little different. I think your argument makes sense for Kasich, or even Cruz, but Jeb! has the second highest name recognition of the entire GOP field and he could only get 4% to conjure up his name?

Between this and "STUFF HAPPENS" the optics look really bad for a candidate that seems stuck in first gear.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Patter Song posted:

That's really interesting! Jeb's had a really bad day. At this point I'm wondering how long they're going to give him to turn it around before they realize he can't win and never could. The longer he stays in the race at low single digits the harder it gets to explain him. For the smaller candidates, it's okay to lay low until a debate and then try to gain some ground. Bush's whole narrative depends on him being a dominant, reliable candidate and the longer he isn't the less likely it seems he'll become one. If he limps into the third debate and doesn't do really well he might have to drop out. Donors are going to start jumping ship to Rubio as well, only to realize to their horror that they've poisoned the well against hispanics so badly that that's not going to work, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Cold? Cold.

• Locked thread