Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MiniFoo posted:

I didn't really phrase that sentence correctly. The surprise is more about the "4-cyl in a Mustang" part, not the power. And yes, I know there was a 4-cyl in 1993.

Some years of the SVO had more power than the same year V8, fast turbo four mustangs have been a thing since they were originally thought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, those "fast" mustangs had the same amount of power as a FR-S and weighed 300 pounds more.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, those "fast" mustangs had the same amount of power as a FR-S and weighed 300 pounds more.

However it was also the 80s so power was down across the board.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Agreed. It's just that the V8's of the same era (once tuned/worked on) had a lot more room to improve.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Are you a professor? Were you trying to pick up students?

Is that a reference I don't get or do Alfa Spyders really work on coeds?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

blk posted:

Is that a reference I don't get or do Alfa Spyders really work on coeds?

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ether Frenzy posted:

Agreed. It's just that the V8's of the same era (once tuned/worked on) had a lot more room to improve.

Maybe back then, but it's a piece of piss these days to get the 2.3 up to 500hp; don't the (pushrod) 5.0 blocks start splitting at about that power level?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Enourmo posted:

Maybe back then, but it's a piece of piss these days to get the 2.3 up to 500hp; don't the (pushrod) 5.0 blocks start splitting at about that power level?

Yeah, the unmodified 302's specifically start to self destruct around 500-550.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dannywilson posted:

Yeah, the unmodified 302's specifically start to self destruct around 500-550.

Thought so. (And to be clear I am also talking about the SVO 2.3 turbo, not the modern ecoboost one.)

E: My school buddy, who had a modified SVO pushing like 25lb of boost and however much power, claimed it cost the same amount to build a 5.0 and an SVO to 1,000 hp. Getting a beefier V8 block that can take the power probably factors into that, but still.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Thought so. (And to be clear I am also talking about the SVO 2.3 turbo, not the modern ecoboost one.)

E: My school buddy, who had a modified SVO pushing like 25lb of boost and however much power, claimed it cost the same amount to build a 5.0 and an SVO to 1,000 hp. Getting a beefier V8 block that can take the power probably factors into that, but still.

We race a stock 2.3 turbo motor (not a Mustang, but same motor) and it's a dog but it works. Previous car had a built one though, was probably 350 with no effort to the block. I'd believe to 500hp it's probably considerably cheaper to do the 2.3. Beyond that, sky's the limit on power and price and it's not really the same motor anymore anyhow.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Enourmo posted:

claimed it cost the same amount to build a 5.0 and an SVO to 1,000 hp.

That's about right, but modern turbo tech is so much more reliable/inexpensive/straight-up-BETTER nowadays, that you can head that 1000hp direction cheaper with a 2.3 than a 5.0/302.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

si posted:

We race a stock 2.3 turbo motor (not a Mustang, but same motor) and it's a dog but it works. Previous car had a built one though, was probably 350 with no effort to the block. I'd believe to 500hp it's probably considerably cheaper to do the 2.3. Beyond that, sky's the limit on power and price and it's not really the same motor anymore anyhow.

The 2.3 ecoboost can easily handle up to 450 stock. MAP had their stock block up to 500 but say that's not something they would do for a customer because it's just waiting for the inevitable. Their built 2.3 is currently making about 600 atm and as soon as next week they hope to get 650+ from it.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

The 2.3 ecoboost can easily handle up to 450 stock. MAP had their stock block up to 500 but say that's not something they would do for a customer because it's just waiting for the inevitable. Their built 2.3 is currently making about 600 atm and as soon as next week they hope to get 650+ from it.

This is the 2.3 lima, we're talkin 80s Ford here.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ah, yeah that makes sense. Seemed like there were 2 conversations going on at once.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:whatup:

I think I'm gonna relocate the decal lower on the window though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

:whatup:

I think I'm gonna relocate the decal lower on the window though.

That supercharged? ;)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Speaking of decals, look what I got rid of Cage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

That supercharged? ;)
I don't want to be witnessed spinning into a ditch.

Q_res posted:

Speaking of decals, look what I got rid of Cage

Nice, that car got dirty fast though :v:

Q_res posted:

And one more, just to make you guys happy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've already put ~2000 miles on it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Are you a professor? Were you trying to pick up students?

Heh. the Graduate featured a Series 1 Spider. Mine's an S2.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

I was channeling kastein pretty hard yesterday and bought this:

It popped up on CL and I just happened upon the ad like 15 minutes after the dude posted it, and immediately called him to set up a time to come look at it. 1990 2 door 5 speed 4WD, 115k on the clock, and the dude threw in a pretty bitchin head unit and sub, all properly wired. Super clean interior and only one small spot is rusty. It drives like a dream, and can confirm it can do 85 at like 4500 RPM.
Welcome to the tiniest way to get into the Subaru family.

2 door + 4WD = awesome. Sounds like we should start a Justy thread.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Welcome to the tiniest way to get into the Subaru family.

2 door + 4WD = awesome. Sounds like we should start a Justy thread.

Yeah, I also own a roached '88 2WD Leone DL I bought from another goon back in like 2010 for $150 and DD'ed it for 6 years. It's just turned into a rolling superfund site with oil leakage, and developed a nasty coolant leak, so it sits neglected in the garage.

A Justy thread would be fun, especially since the big justy forum is a mess of good and bad information/posters.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Skipped work today, took the wife for a drive instead.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Literally every aspect of this post makes me jealous.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Killstick posted:

Literally every aspect of this post makes me jealous.

That he has a job, and is married to an E92? To each their own, I guess.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Enourmo posted:

Just how much lag is there in a 500hp 4cyl. Spool up around 4500 rpms? I know the turbo on my R is a lot slower to spool than even the GTI.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

That he has a job, and is married to an E92? To each their own, I guess.

Ahem, the E92 is my mistress.
You can see a tiny section of my wife's hair in the rear view mirror on the last one. I HAVE A WIFE GUYS, REALLY

(After re-reading the wording I used in the post I did wonder how long before someone made this joke though.)

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Is this decker? I love that you can see the ribbon of road ahead. I keep meaning to try decker out, paired with lunch at Neptune's Net.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yep - that's exactly what we did. Great day out. One of my favorite roads, it's all 2nd and 3rd gear twists and acceleration/engine braking until suddenly midway through the scenery turns incredible and you have to slow down and observe a bit -- and when the weather cooperates it can really be amazing when you break over the final valley and suddenly there's the Pacific and the sky is that great deep blue you usually only get in January/February after the rains.

I feel like as homage to the late great Paul Walker, it's required to say, out loud, "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD, PAL" as I leave Decker onto the PCH for the last 2 miles or so to the 'Net.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Dannywilson posted:

I was channeling kastein pretty hard yesterday and bought this:

It popped up on CL and I just happened upon the ad like 15 minutes after the dude posted it, and immediately called him to set up a time to come look at it. 1990 2 door 5 speed 4WD, 115k on the clock, and the dude threw in a pretty bitchin head unit and sub, all properly wired. Super clean interior and only one small spot is rusty. It drives like a dream, and can confirm it can do 85 at like 4500 RPM.

YESSSS

one of us one of us

Put an oil pressure gauge on it before you do anything else. The dummy light comes on at like 3-5psi.

Mine's parked right now awaiting a *lot* of upgrades because said light came on at idle 3 blocks from home, implying imminent EF12 oil pump failure and ensuing engine seize-up, so I gently limped it home and hid the keys till I can get everything lined up at once.

You got the good drivetrain, too, 4wd 5 speeds are pretty rare, is yours MPFI or carb? Let me know if you need any spare parts, at this point I have two sets of spare tail lights, spare 2dr doors minus the glass and top frames, a lot of spare drivetrain parts, some 2dr rear seat seatbelt stuff, etc etc etc.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yep - that's exactly what we did. Great day out. One of my favorite roads, it's all 2nd and 3rd gear twists and acceleration/engine braking until suddenly midway through the scenery turns incredible and you have to slow down and observe a bit -- and when the weather cooperates it can really be amazing when you break over the final valley and suddenly there's the Pacific and the sky is that great deep blue you usually only get in January/February after the rains.

I feel like as homage to the late great Paul Walker, it's required to say, out loud, "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD, PAL" as I leave Decker onto the PCH for the last 2 miles or so to the 'Net.

Alright I know what I'm doing before work someday next week.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

My new-to-me 2012 Honda Fit sport. Not the most exciting thing on the road, but it drives like a go kart and gets 38 mpg, so I like it.

Then again, coming from a 2000 CRV with over 270,000 miles, probably anything would seem quick in comparison.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

kastein posted:

YESSSS

one of us one of us

Put an oil pressure gauge on it before you do anything else. The dummy light comes on at like 3-5psi.

Yeah, that's in the cards, just gotta figure threads and get a similar looking gauge.

I wonder if I can take an analog discrete off the ECU to fiddle with.

kastein posted:

You got the good drivetrain, too, 4wd 5 speeds are pretty rare, is yours MPFI or carb?

MPFI, and I'm wondering if I can find bigger injectors for it, to maybe eventually megasquirt.

kastein posted:

Let me know if you need any spare parts, at this point I have two sets of spare tail lights, spare 2dr doors minus the glass and top frames, a lot of spare drivetrain parts, some 2dr rear seat seatbelt stuff, etc etc etc.

Unless it's light or can fit in a flat rate box, shipping to Alaska would be murder. Speaking of flat rate, I finally got all those salvaged mil-spec cannon plugs together, and I'll get them to the post office here in the next few weeks.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Oh god what have I done I'm not good with cars :(

Z51, but base 1LT trim (which is still pretty fantastic)

Took nearly 3 months to get here, no dealers have manuals on the lot. So if you want one specced close to how you like it, and a 3rd pedal, then you're special ordering.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
North Scottsdale?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice. I like the white ones a lot. Did you go straight from a Toyobaru to this?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

North Scottsdale?

Yup. I drive through fountain hills on the way home and there's a few pull offs there. Stopped on a whim.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Nice. I like the white ones a lot. Did you go straight from a Toyobaru to this?

I did, but I've owned faster cars than the BRZ before. Like my Mazda CX7

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Linux Nazi posted:

Yup. I drive through fountain hills on the way home and there's a few pull offs there. Stopped on a whim.

We're neighbors. 120th and Shea. :)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

We're neighbors. 120th and Shea. :)

Well I pass by your place anyways, I live in the east valley, but take 87 home as it drops me right at my house. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
so many valley goon bros. :)