Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

That explains why that script is complete murder to read.

:hellyeah:

Abbott is loving bonkers and I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set likes having options.

Working Daze cannot tell a loving joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gazes into the abyss.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze cannot tell a loving joke.

Working Daze is a one-panel comic written like a four-panel comic. A lot of four-panel comics have trouble with telling good jokes and will stretch the gag out too far, but when you cut out the varying art for reactions and smash all the dialogue together the flaws in the "joke" just become all the more obvious.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

Working Daze is a one-panel comic written like a four-panel comic. A lot of four-panel comics have trouble with telling good jokes and will stretch the gag out too far, but when you cut out the varying art for reactions and smash all the dialogue together the flaws in the "joke" just become all the more obvious.

I know I've said this a million times before, but the main problem is that Zakour doesn't know when to stop telling the joke. He hits the punch line, then has the characters keep talking like he wants to make sure everyone understands that something silly happened.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

So wait, hang on.

Did Florin's plan rely entirely on the newspaper checking the stories starting from the top of the mostly-fake list?

Green Intern posted:

He figured they'd be too hungry to take him down to do proper fact-checking, so yes.

He was also counting on the fact that Ben is just a big dumb boxer with no journalism experience. He figured Ben would be all gung-ho about fixing Florin's wagon and not actually do the proper research. He was actually right about that part, too. Ben would have totally screwed up the whole thing, except that his editor and various other newspaper people with experience put the brakes on Ben pretty fast.

So I guess Florin's biggest problem was that he forgot that there is staff at the newspaper besides Ben Bolt.

Luann

And the bullshit scribble Luann just pulled out of her rear end will win because OMG Zebo is such a wacky art guy!!!! He's so dumb!1 I bet he even likes art that doesn't look like the thing you drew!!!1!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, that sucks, I guess, let's see if Big Bang Theory is on.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015 deals with the aftermath.

Meanwhile, Skippy is coping with the beforemath. (August 3, 1928)

Peanuts (October 4, 1968)

The Saint Lisa of Cancerwife Variety Hour

I knew this would end with spooning.

This bonus pin-up is between you and me, Other Woman.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 20, 1929)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Someone else might have mentioned this before, but is 'other woman' really the right term in Saint Cancer Tales? I know there's no official term for 'future wife of my former husband plus by the way I'm dead by now', but 'other woman' has only negative connotations to me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

You dare doubt the word choice of the Immaculate St. Lisa of Cancerwife? Stone the heretic!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
:zombie: yes new wife, give him a hug from me, the ghost who haunts his every moment alone and who will never leave your existence :zombie:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i'm pretty sure Lisa is still alive, sitting in a bunker somewhere and just making tapes and books and letters to gently caress up Les' life.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Someone else might have mentioned this before, but is 'other woman' really the right term in Saint Cancer Tales? I know there's no official term for 'future wife of my former husband plus by the way I'm dead by now', but 'other woman' has only negative connotations to me.

Well, it does assume that a Third Woman is highly improbable, which is why the sad-faced love triangle after the time skip was such a hoot.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

There! Relationship fixed!

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

X-9 still has that wrong comic posted.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Apartment 3-G's constant violations of the 180 degree rule are making me kind of dizzy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rincewind posted:

Apartment 3-G's constant violations of the 180 degree rule are making me kind of dizzy.

Maybe you have hyperthyroidism.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

greatn posted:

Maybe you have hyperthyroidism.

Do you have money? I'll get you some bread.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Ah, Comics Kingdom is alive again. Have some Mark Trail

Oh come on Mark, you're not going to pull some sort of a dual whale underwater skiing thing, are you?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ah, Comics Kingdom is alive again. Have some Mark Trail

Oh come on Mark, you're not going to pull some sort of a dual whale underwater skiing thing, are you?

Nah he's gonna get on that guy's back and hump him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Namor, you fool! That ship was carrying radioactive materials!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tambaloneus posted:

Where are they that the scenery changes so randomly? Are they standing on the back of a pickup being driven around town? In front of one of those ye olde movie style rolling scenery boards? Are they wandering aimlessly stopping to chat about a sick friend who is in the hospital whose bedside they are mysteriously absent from?!

Apartment 3G: The Movie
Directed by Tommy Wiseau

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Spherical Cancer in a Vacuum

Just had to get that off of my chest.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kennel posted:

Namor, you fool! That ship was carrying radioactive materials!

If Frankenstein's monster, Freddie Mercury, and Spock had a baby,

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I can't read this comic without merry-go-round music playing in my head now. I'd say the woman they're all so concerned about probably just got motion sickness and had to go off for a lay down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, it kind of seems to imply that Lisa considers Les marrying again to be a form of infidelity. Perhaps to be remedied by a weird video where she hounds the "other woman" with passive aggressive assertions of their eternal love. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Because it's still Friday somewhere... :shrug:

Out Our Way (January 4-5, 1928)

Back to Hardcore Misogyny B.C.

Come on, there's caveman and there's caveman.

Speaking of gender issues, Pogo's sister is the most sensible character in this strip that isn't Pogo. Too bad that she's no fun. (October 3-4, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (May 28-31, 1953)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Because it's still Friday somewhere... :shrug:

Out Our Way (January 4-5, 1928)

Speaking of gender issues, Pogo's sister is the most sensible character in this strip that isn't Pogo. Too bad that she's no fun. (October 3-4, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (May 28-31, 1953)

That first Out Our Way is confusing as hell. Did the kid let the path ice up after he made it or something? Or the dad walked through the snow and then shoveled it himself?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The way I see it is that the kid started from the sidewalk and worked his way up the path to the house, flinging snow behind him. Dad got caught in the frezy and had to walk through the yard to avoid being hit by snow or shovel.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

That first Out Our Way is confusing as hell. Did the kid let the path ice up after he made it or something? Or the dad walked through the snow and then shoveled it himself?

Considering the conspicuous skidmark, I'm guessing option number one.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Newspaper Mickey Mouse (1935-1936):

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

Fingerpori

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Newspaper Mickey Mouse (1935-1936):

Imminent crossover with the Phantom.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

This whole thing is just an elaborate dad prank isn't it

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

This storyline is making me unreasonably cross; I had a hell of a time getting away from an abusive ex-husband who was very good at putting on a public face of someone who was good-hearted, kind, and the victim of my unreasonable meanie-ness. The first couple of times I tried to escape via mutual friends, this scenario more or less happened. Awww, sure, go on back to the poor man, look how sad and lonely he is and how mean and selfish you are.

Bleurgh!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ms Boods posted:

This storyline is making me unreasonably cross; I had a hell of a time getting away from an abusive ex-husband who was very good at putting on a public face of someone who was good-hearted, kind, and the victim of my unreasonable meanie-ness. The first couple of times I tried to escape via mutual friends, this scenario more or less happened. Awww, sure, go on back to the poor man, look how sad and lonely he is and how mean and selfish you are.

Bleurgh!!!

Seriously, is loving disturbing. I agree 100%. You should write to the paper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Growing up, that was considered a cuss word. At the very least, it seems like pretty strong language for the funny pages.

edit: or am I just :corsair:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 3, 2015

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

What the gently caress, Long Dead Johnny Hart?

Luann

Who could have anticipated it.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Namor eats just platters of seaweed??? I mean, I guess that's what you get for living at the bottom of the sea. And everything is going to be super salty and soggy as well. You really wouldn't be able to cook anything. Don't any of you "sushi" me, that stuff also involves rice and veggies and sauces and I don't know where you're going to get any of that at the bottom of the goddamn ocean. Guh. Namor. Dude. Are you secretly just pissed at land-dwellers because sea-dwelling sucks?

Loving the cranky sad face, though.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Eve, he's been telling you to gently caress off every time he's met you since, well, the day he met you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Trent posted:

Growing up, that was considered a cuss word. At the very least, it seems like pretty strong language for the funny pages.

edit: or am I just :corsair:

It is one of the seven words, but I think it's okay now. Same with tits and Comix.

Pooch Café

Gentrification Comix.

Ballard Street

Sandy moves like a dancer.

The Creeps

Dilbert crossover.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I like this comic. I don't care what anybody says, that's good poo poo right there.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread