Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i think i quit watching the pacific when they were in austrailia or something gently caress that boring rear end poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

I can see that. I really love Inglorious Basterds almost too much but I view it more as a spy thriller.

Yeah, it was basically a movie adaptation of old war comics and that's loving amazing.

Worlds apart from BoB but still great as its own thing.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

TontoCorazon posted:

Inglorious Basterds

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me why Brad Pitt's character has a big scar on his neck? It kind of looks like he has survived being hanged.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
supposedly there is going to be a movie about the origin of the Brad Pitt character

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bundle of Keys posted:

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me why Brad Pitt's character has a big scar on his neck? It kind of looks like he has survived being hanged.

Adds a history to the character without some schmuck spewing exposition like an autist.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Anyone mention the German "Stalingrad" from the nineties? Seems like you all would appreciate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHzs4PtqIE

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Nation posted:

max manus is one of my favs

My granduncle rolled with Max Manus and blew up German ships. One of them had a bunch of horses in it, and he always felt bad when seeing a horse after. Or so I've been told.

Mind you, it was nazi horses.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
What are some good gritty WW2 novels?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Memphis Belle is kinda good too

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Band of Brothers.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

iSimian posted:

My granduncle rolled with Max Manus and blew up German ships. One of them had a bunch of horses in it, and he always felt bad when seeing a horse after. Or so I've been told.

Mind you, it was nazi horses.

your granduncle is cool as gently caress, not all horses were hardcore party members though... makes u think

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Borneo Jimmy posted:

All quiet on the western front

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Borneo Jimmy posted:

slaughter house five

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

VikingSkull posted:

Memphis Belle is kinda good too

Is that the one where they get candy cane landing gear or something?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is that the one where they get candy cane landing gear or something?

Candycane landing fear was an episode of Amazin' Stories directed by Spielberg. Costner is good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Daedra posted:

i think i quit watching the pacific when they were in austrailia or something gently caress that boring rear end poo poo

This was the best because you got to see some magnificent white girl titties

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Tujague posted:

Generation Kill was good

When Trumpets Fade and A Midnight Clear were both good WW2 movies that flew under the radar. One of them opened in the Ardennes forest campaign, which was a brutal and awesome part of the war that isn't super famous, and I think one or both of them had Frank Whaley in it

When Trumpets Fade is a fantastic film, and you're right, it is massively under appreciated.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mrlego posted:

Candycane landing fear was an episode of Amazin' Stories directed by Spielberg. Costner is good.

:aaaaa: ever since I saw that as a kid i thought it was the ending of Memphis Belle and never watched it again

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

:aaaaa: ever since I saw that as a kid i thought it was the ending of Memphis Belle and never watched it again

eh, those two and that one scene from Heavy Metal all kinda blend together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXVfJou7pg

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

The Big Red One, fuckin' Lee Marvin and Luke Skywalker

*puts condoms on fingers*

Puusssssaaaaayyyy

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Was hoping it was the clown edit.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

that episode owns

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

When can I get HBO on roku without having cable so I can watch this poo poo? $15 a months seems kind of steep though

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I got it

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tujague posted:

I got it

Awesome, thanks.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I like Band of Brothers but in battle scenes when everyone is wearing helmets and shouting and running around fast, it's basically impossible to tell who is who or what is happening.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

no one do this if you have a soul

if you've ever wondered what a dairy cow does after being shot from an mg42, come and see is the movie for you

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kazvall posted:

The Pacific was a pretty big letdown after BoB.

Yeah I didn't last four episodes and I loved BoB. What gives?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Muttonchips posted:

I like Band of Brothers but in battle scenes when everyone is wearing helmets and shouting and running around fast, it's basically impossible to tell who is who or what is happening.

Welcome to war son.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I didn't read the thread, but band of brother is so good.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

When can I get HBO on roku without having cable so I can watch this poo poo? $15 a months seems kind of steep though

You can watch BoB for free if you already have Amazon Prime, all the old HBO poo poo is on there.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

toggle posted:

if you've ever wondered what a dairy cow does after being shot from an mg42, come and see is the movie for you

didnt they actually shoot the cow too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wall Balls posted:

watch generation kill, it's kinda like a modern bob without the awkward tom hanks hero worship

this too

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Generation Kill is incredibly spot on for how dumb the Marine Corps honestly is. Also, Sixta (the real one, not the actor) hosed a 14 year old and went to jail a few years back. How's that for policin' that moos-tash

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think the Pacific needs a rewatch to be honest. When I saw it first I imagined it Bob 2 which it isn't. It's really a solid piece of tv

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

concerned mom posted:

I think the Pacific needs a rewatch to be honest. When I saw it first I imagined it Bob 2 which it isn't. It's really a solid piece of tv

It's great, but the tone of the show switches back and forth too often and it doesn't frame them in a sensible way.

The issues with the Pacific are almost all based in direction, everything else about the show was pretty solid

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i like the show but then it makes me think if i were alive then i would prob die in the war :shrug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ThePriceIsRight posted:

i like the show but then it makes me think if i were alive then i would prob die in the war :shrug:

dunno knowing most goons i bet they would fail the medical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

dunno knowing most goons i bet they would fail the medical

There was no such thing as aspergers back then

• Locked thread