Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
those prices are crazy for 1907

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

bobmarleysghost posted:

So nice. What are you gonna end up doing with the plates? Giving them to the band or keeping them?

I gave them to the band for a price. As far as portraits go I'm happy for those to go to the sitters, I'll be keeping most of my landscape stuff to hopefully have a exhibition.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Finally got these 8x10s back that I dropped a couple of months ago into the framers. They're some of my older ones so they're a bit sloppy but they still look really nice, they're floating about 1/4 inch above the matt and behind anti-glare museum glass. The frame is pretty deep, too. Best part is that they're easily removed so I can replace them with better plates should I want to.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
img397 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

what the gently caress posted:

Finally got these 8x10s back that I dropped a couple of months ago into the framers. They're some of my older ones so they're a bit sloppy but they still look really nice, they're floating about 1/4 inch above the matt and behind anti-glare museum glass. The frame is pretty deep, too. Best part is that they're easily removed so I can replace them with better plates should I want to.

Those are superb.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

18 minute (or so) exposure on 4x5. Had some unwanted movements because it's hard to see through this poo poo at night. Any tips or tricks for more successfully achieving this in the future would be helpful!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

18 minute (or so) exposure on 4x5. Had some unwanted movements because it's hard to see through this poo poo at night. Any tips or tricks for more successfully achieving this in the future would be helpful!

Use a laser pointer to help focus and find compositional elements that are otherwise too dark to see on the ground glass. Helps if you have somebody to point the laser for you so you can use one hand for holding a loupe and the other for focusing.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Re-shot these two today and tried some rim lighting which is dank and definitely something i'm going to use more often

Not happy with the couples "homecoming" shot pose-wise but that was the last of the developer and its a super clean plate. (Dunno why the upload keeps making it blurry theyre pretty sharp, just iphone pics)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 30, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
6x12 is really handy sometimes.

Franz by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those things you're making are really beautiful, what the gently caress

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

cottonwood by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Nothin' like some landscaping while camping. 4x5 on a Chamonix 45F1 with a Nikor 150mm*

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2015

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Just wanted to say this is fuckin awesome

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Jade

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 2, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Might as well join the club.

I thought the 67 version was supposed to have mirror lockup. Oh well, I probably wouldn't use it much anyways.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

You're gonna get tired of that ball head pretty quick

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

You're gonna get tired of that ball head pretty quick

I guess ignorance is bliss? It's worked for me so far. Without going too far off topic what kind of head would you recommend?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Not from personal experience but one of my mates has a mamiya and he's been using a ball head with it for 5+ years now and loves it all. He's into video production too with proper rigs so it's not like he doesn't know Any better.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
:confused: what's wrong with a ballhead if you aren't doing video? It's much faster to level once you get the friction set right.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I absolutely hated mine but maybe that has more to do with the weight distribution on the RZ than the head itself.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Until it broke I used my RZ on a ballhead all the time. I'm still confused. Why do you hate it?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Used a ball head on a GW690 and a Mamiya 7 and liked it. It was horrible with my Speed Graphic. The 67 might be somewhere in the middle there.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I just got my first roll from the RB I bought from Ethanfr0me back (shot on a tiny ballhead on a travel tripod no less) and it might just be the new camera syndrome but holy poo poo this poo poo looks great. I have never been stoked to scan before.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Apologies for the double post:

Here the first shot of the roll, the light leak is from my sucktitude in loading film right? There's a similar one on the last shot on the right side. (didn't bother dusting this one)

2015-10-02-0001.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

I think this shot came out the best off the roll, how are the colours? My monitors are old lovely and uncalibrated:

2015-10-02-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 3, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBlandAverage posted:

:confused: what's wrong with a ballhead if you aren't doing video? It's much faster to level once you get the friction set right.

There's nothing wrong with ballheads but a skinny-rear end digital ballhead rated for 15lbs load isn't going to handle a P67 and a big off-axis lens load very well.

akadajet posted:

I guess ignorance is bliss? It's worked for me so far. Without going too far off topic what kind of head would you recommend?

Something along the lines of an Arca-Swiss B1/Z1 or a nice Wimberley or something - a high-end heavy-duty model. You can get away with less, but should you? They're only another $100 or so more if you buy used, and they don't weigh much more than the light-duty models in absolute terms. Then when you're trying to hold a non-trivial off-axis load, like a bucking P67 with a long lens or steadying a field camera in a stiff breeze you know you're covered.

akadajet posted:

Might as well join the club.

I thought the 67 version was supposed to have mirror lockup. Oh well, I probably wouldn't use it much anyways.

All P67s have mirror lockup. The proper diagnosis here is that someone switched the top plates of the camera, guaranteed. If you paid more than a pittance for the rig you should try getting a partial refund. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's a worthwhile feature to have around and the P67 bodies are worth more as a result. The internals of a P6x7 body (which that is) are likely to be more worn as well. The older P6x7s reportedly had a more durable film feeding mechanism, but age may counteract that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 3, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm in the ballhead haterz crew, I learnt to hate it with my Bronica SQ-Ai, it was well within the weight limit of the head but I would get constantly aggravated by the too many degrees of freedom when I would only want to adjust one.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ball heads ain't so bad.

Until this week I've been shooting without a tripod head at all (old one broke and who has money to replace these trifles?) Oh, you want to adjust the angle? Guess I'll just need to adjust all of the tripod legs. Not quite right? Let's adjust them all again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

elgarbo posted:

Ball heads ain't so bad.

Until this week I've been shooting without a tripod head at all (old one broke and who has money to replace these trifles?) Oh, you want to adjust the angle? Guess I'll just need to adjust all of the tripod legs. Not quite right? Let's adjust them all again.

A fantastic post-avatar combo.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Ball heads ain't so bad.

That is a lesson in anger management and patience.

Geektox posted:

Apologies for the double post:

Here the first shot of the roll, the light leak is from my sucktitude in loading film right? There's a similar one on the last shot on the right side. (didn't bother dusting this one)

2015-10-02-0001.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

I think this shot came out the best off the roll, how are the colours? My monitors are old lovely and uncalibrated:

2015-10-02-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

They both look like they have a blue cast.

Ok this one, I used a curves layer and set the gray point to something okay, a few minor adjustments on it, then a tiny bit of a levels adjustment in the green channel, and a channel mixer layer in which I upped the blue channel which made the water a nice rich blue

e: it still feels a bit too blue but you get the idea.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 3, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

All P67s have mirror lockup. The proper diagnosis here is that someone switched the top plates of the camera, guaranteed. If you paid more than a pittance for the rig you should try getting a partial refund. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's a worthwhile feature to have around and the P67 bodies are worth more as a result. The internals of a P6x7 body (which that is) are likely to be more worn as well. The older P6x7s reportedly had a more durable film feeding mechanism, but age may counteract that.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm going to go ahead and ask for a refund on it and try to find an authentic version.
ed: Refund accepted :toot:

akadajet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Also the pentax 6x7 withouth the mlu has an issue where the roller that counts the exposures can jam and not let film through.

It's a $350 repair.

ask me how i know

:(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You can check if it's a 6x7 in 67 clothing pretty easily. The 67s bulb mode won't work without power so pop the shutter open and pull the battery if it stays open its a 6x7.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm very interested in buying a medium format camera, but I tend to do a lot of street/candid shooting. I'm looking at picking up one of the Fuji medium format rangefinders, specifically the GW670 or GW690. Can anyone who has used either of these let me know what you think of them? Also, if you would recommend one over another? I was thinking the GW670 to sneak a few more shots out per roll.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

Ok this one, I used a curves layer and set the gray point to something okay, a few minor adjustments on it, then a tiny bit of a levels adjustment in the green channel, and a channel mixer layer in which I upped the blue channel which made the water a nice rich blue

Thanks, I'll play around more. I think I tend to gravitate towards making things more blue, so I really ought to cut down on that.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

Changes look good, but the inside of the boats are pink now.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

It'll fit in great in the portrait thread now.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Yea I did it super quickly, it can be fine tuned.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

hi liter posted:

I'm very interested in buying a medium format camera, but I tend to do a lot of street/candid shooting. I'm looking at picking up one of the Fuji medium format rangefinders, specifically the GW670 or GW690. Can anyone who has used either of these let me know what you think of them? Also, if you would recommend one over another? I was thinking the GW670 to sneak a few more shots out per roll.

Any concerns about film economy should probably come second to whether your work will be better served by 6x9 versus 6x7. You're not going to be running and gunning with either of these cameras unless you're rich and crazy, and the difference is exactly two shots per roll, so you may as well ensure the camera lets you compose according to the way you like to see.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The GW690 is usually considered to be the better option, because the lenses are identical. You can always crop from 6x9 down to 6x7 if needed, but you can never get back the extra field-of-view that you cropped away to save a buck per roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thazin Minimart by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread