Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

He's dead.
goondolences dude. be there for people who need you, they'll remember it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Didn't he hate you?

That's my girlfriend's father. This was my step dad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ah, sorry man. Sucks to deal with, it's a real year-fucker-upper, but things do get easier from here on. My super-fit, healthy & exercising dad died of liver cancer 2 months after a first diagnosis last June. Be strong, buddy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sorry to hear, man :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

He's dead.

Goondolances man. So sorry :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Condolences, rhyno

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Crap, what a suck thing to go through for the family. Well wishes for you all.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
My condolences to you and your family, Rhyno. Sorry for your loss. :(

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sorry Rhyno, that's a tough one. Stay strong man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry for your loss buddy

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
loving sucks man. Condolences. I lost my dad when I was ten, it loving blows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was not an easy night to go through, thank you for your thoughts guys.

My stepdad was a great guy. Purple heart decorated Vietnam vet, traveled the world, saw lots of poo poo. Worked in a dozen industries. He actually met my mom before she and my dad divorced and the second he found out he made his move.

But the worst, his son was out of town and didn't make it back in time. I spent an hour in silence with my step brother tonight just waiting for him to lash out. He didn't, I'm more worried about how he's going to make it through this than my mom.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well gently caress, that sucks. Condolances :(

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
What's wrong with my tranny? I don't mean my dickgirl, I mean the gearbox in my '04 GTP. A 4t65e-hd to be specific. It started not shifting properly a month or so ago. Not kicking up or down and revving higher than normal at highway speed.

Last weekend I drained it, changed the filter and filled it with fresh dex 6. It immediately ran perfect and did so for about 3 days and then went back to the way it was before. If it's a mechanical problem I don't understand how it can go from hosed to fine with a fluid change and then back again.

This is a professionally rebuilt tranny I had installed by a good shop about a year and a half and around 55k miles ago. Of course the warranty was good for 2 years. No abuse aside from the usual flooring up highway ramps and what not. Any ideas before I take it back to the shop to find out how hosed I am?

Edit: That's a drag Rhyno :( Stiff upper lip man.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 3, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, we have a cat that is solid black. He hates me for no reason. Usually runs full speed away as soon as he sees me.

Well, I think I just gave him a reason. Pitch black house, I'm heading down stairs. As I go to swing my leg down onto the first step, it connected with something furry that made a very loud meow, and then consecutive thuds as he bounced down the five stairs. Oops.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sorry to hear about your stepdad, Rhyno. :(

So the solidworks seminar people are doing a little-mini competition. We modeled a little boat hull in class, and now we can add whatever we want to it, turn it into a yacht or whatever.

I'm leaning towards doing something like this for comedy reasons. That or a space galleon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well poo poo. It's not much, but condolences from another internet stranger Rhyno. :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

I spent an hour in silence with my step brother tonight just waiting for him to lash out. He didn't, I'm more worried about how he's going to make it through this than my mom.

So sorry man :(

Step bro as in it was his dad? Cause seriously that poo poo takes forever to become real. I was so numb for months after my mom died and it still sucks to this day.

The best thing to do is just hang with him. Even if you just sit in silence. Years later he will remember that you were there for him.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Been hanging out with an old friend. He happens to smoke like a chimney, as does his new gf.

His new GF is loving awesome. They've known each other since middle school. His last GF, and his ex-wife, both treated him like poo poo. I'm really glad he found his current GF, she's fun as hell to hang out with.

Downside. They both smoke nonstop. I bought my first pack of cigarettes in over 10 years on my way home... holy gently caress they got expensive, but holy gently caress I forgot what a nicotine buzz was, I felt half drunk after smoking a cig.

e: we need more dogs in this thread. Above friends have a pit bull that just gave birth (yes, she is getting spayed once they're weaned). Their dog will not leave me alone when I'm over, she tries to lick me to death and insists on sitting on my feet or climbing in my lap. And apparently I'm the only person she will allow to handle the puppies without at least a *chuff*.

jammyozzy posted:

I used to live <10 minutes walk from the IKEA in Coventry. Once a friend and I went hungover after a night out and just spent hours zoning out, sitting and laying on everything and playing with the lamps and stuff. I'm impressed we weren't asked to leave.

Former IKEA employee here (... okay, I only worked there about 2 months, and only as a cashier, but went through the same training as the floor employees, with an extra day of how to recognize counterfeit money - except I wound up teaching them more than they taught me, since I'd been handling cash for over a decade by then). They generally won't ask you to leave unless you're bothering other customers/employees (in fact they like people hanging out, it makes the place look busier, and you might wind up spending more money), but you can be sure they're very aware of your presence if you spend more than a few minutes in one section. Generally security is more concerned with frontend (registers) than anything else, since that's where most loss occurs (either intentional or forgetting to scan items); they look at the other cameras when they get bored. And yes, there are cameras in the little fake apartment nooks. :quagmire:

But there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cameras in each store. Security is very aware of people hanging out, but they really don't give a poo poo until you cause a disturbance, or you appear intoxicated (or you decide to gently caress in one of the fake apartments). I've hung out in there for hours, both before and after working there, and the most that's happened is I've been approached and asked if I needed any assistance.

I'm borderline aspergers about lighting stuff, so I usually wind up spending hours loving with all of the bulbs and fixtures. I'm kinda pissed they changed suppliers for their LED floods, I was down to ONE indoor flood that needed to be replaced to match the rest in that room. And they won't fit in the outside floods (plus they're high enough up that I almost need scaffolding to reach the drat things). :argh:

bolind posted:

It's basically your standard slave labor manufactured poo poo only with nice aesthetics. Their quality stuff ain't cheap and their cheap stuff ain't quality. But if you're a bit smart about it, they have some pretty good deals. Also, they will nickle and dime you to death on accessories.

I dropped $150 on a desk chair from them over 10 years ago. Still using it today. I removed the arm rests after they wore out, and the leather (?) bottom is finally starting to disintegrate (one tear, and whatever material it is is flaking off), but it's still damned comfy.

bolind posted:

Their LACK series is thin, thin fiberboard and a thin cardboard honeycomb construction. I made a little platform/stool out of one, and took it apart in the process. It's a rather ingenious construction: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/07/reinforced-red-lack-platformstooltable.html

LACK is their cheapest line IIRC. And when I worked there, drat near every customer coming through my line had at least one LACK item. And yeah, they're essentially made just like a (US) interior home door.

I have a couple of Lack end tables. For the price, they're not bad, and they occasionally run clearances on the less popular colors (nothing a can of krylon can't fix).

Bajaha posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I just saw carthrottle calling the vw diesel scandal dieselgate

Everything has to be something-gate nowadays. gently caress.

Because <x>gate is such a new term.

(also I think even jalopnik was using that term a few days ago)

1500quidporsche posted:

I loving love IKEA just because you can get a lot of stuff that is minimalist with relatively inoffensive styling that is impossible to find anywhere else. The price is just icing on the cake at that point.

Same. I like the styling of most of their stuff, and as long as you avoid the super cheap stuff, it's actually not bad furniture.

Also, at least in the US, their appliances are actually made by Whirlpool.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Congrats on the heated garage, they rule. I bought a house a year ago and have loved it, I just need to insulate and heat the garage next :getin:

Even in the dead of winter, a decent space heater is all I really need for the garage.

Summer though? gently caress THAT poo poo. Gimme a 20,000 BTU split a/c unit. The 5.5 ton unit for the rest of the house is on the outside garage wall already, it won't look that odd tossing a 1.5 to 2 ton next to it. There's absolutely zero insulation in our garage, so the cute little 5k BTU portable I have just falls over and cries.

Rhyno posted:

He's dead.

:glomp:

Sorry to hear man. Losing family sucks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 3, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sorry for the poo poo luck Rhyno

InitialDave posted:

Probably 3/8" UNF, yes.

Another landrover mate thinks it will be UNC, being that its into an aluminium head. Which should I buy?. Stupid rover being too tight to retool things to metric. This hole is within 10cm of an injector rail fixing which is M6

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Another one for the "condolences to Rhyno" train. Sorry man.

Tomarse posted:

Another landrover mate thinks it will be UNC, being that its into an aluminium head. Which should I buy?. Stupid rover being too tight to retool things to metric. This hole is within 10cm of an injector rail fixing which is M6
Ah, right into the casting? That's a good call, while UNF is the more common imperial thread they use, they do commonly use UNC into castings like that. The easiest thing to do is check it with a thread gauge, as 3/8 UNF is 24 threads per inch, while UNC is 16TPI. Technically you could also measure the diameter across the internal threads, as it'll be about .307" for a UNC and .330" for UNF, but I wouldn't rely on that, as it could have been worn or otherwise messed with over the previous decades.

Also, a 3/8 UNC with 16TPI looks very similar to an M10x1.5, as it is about 9.5mm in diameter and has a pitch of 1.6mm. I expect it's an imperial size, but who knows what they're thinking half the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Add me to the goon pile of condolences, Rhyno. :( I won't blame you for ruining October though. Yet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sorry to hear Rhyno.

some texas redneck posted:

...there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cameras in each store. Security is very aware of people hanging out, but they really don't give a poo poo until you cause a disturbance, or you appear intoxicated (or you decide to gently caress in one of the fake apartments). I've hung out in there for hours, both before and after working there, and the most that's happened is I've been approached and asked if I needed any assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mynyEx8uiQ

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Sorry for your loss, Rhyno. poo poo sucks man. No good way to say it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

What's wrong with my tranny? I don't mean my dickgirl, I mean the gearbox in my '04 GTP. A 4t65e-hd to be specific. It started not shifting properly a month or so ago. Not kicking up or down and revving higher than normal at highway speed.

Last weekend I drained it, changed the filter and filled it with fresh dex 6. It immediately ran perfect and did so for about 3 days and then went back to the way it was before. If it's a mechanical problem I don't understand how it can go from hosed to fine with a fluid change and then back again.

This is a professionally rebuilt tranny I had installed by a good shop about a year and a half and around 55k miles ago. Of course the warranty was good for 2 years. No abuse aside from the usual flooring up highway ramps and what not. Any ideas before I take it back to the shop to find out how hosed I am?

Fwiw the over drive drum likes to poo poo themselves on these trannys. There's a few you tube how to replace the drum, give them a look over.

But sounds like your tranny is hosed.

Also sorry rhyno, death blows, and I know neither one of us likes dealing with it, so I know the spot your in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

If it ran well after a filter change, it's likely gummed up solenoids. Which is surprising if it was rebuilt at any point. Is there any consistency when it happens, or is it all the time? Any codes?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Goober Peas posted:

If it ran well after a filter change, it's likely gummed up solenoids. Which is surprising if it was rebuilt at any point. Is there any consistency when it happens, or is it all the time? Any codes?

It behaves the same all the time, revving too high and not shifting up or down when it should. It was just a few days after the fluid/filter change that it ran properly. No cel. I have a Bluetooth obd and torque pro and I'm not seeing any codes on that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and gently caress Cancer.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I agree. My aunt is fighting esophageal cancer right now. It's hard to see her go through the treatments. I love my aunt a lot so its tough to see what she's going through. She's a pretty AI aunt too. She gave me my first car for my 18th birthday. An '89 Subaru XT coupe. Best gift I've ever gotten in my whole life.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
The wife is pregnant.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is pregnant.

Congrats!!!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is pregnant.

Condolences

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is pregnant.

See, this is one of those that needs context before a congrats or a condolences.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Condolences Rhyno. :(

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is pregnant.

Congratulations!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It behaves the same all the time, revving too high and not shifting up or down when it should. It was just a few days after the fluid/filter change that it ran properly. No cel. I have a Bluetooth obd and torque pro and I'm not seeing any codes on that.

No cel or codes is odd. It sounds like the throttle pressure solenoid, but it definitely should have thrown a code or twenty with the behavior you're describing.

How attached are you to the car? Because it's likely not worth the time and money to diagnose and fix. I had an Olds LSS that had similar behavior at 150k but it only happened on 1-2 or 2-1 shifts when hot. It threw a temporary cel when it acted up and the solenoids were the cause. They're not super easy to get to on the 3800sc but not impossible to DYI as a weekend project. I can't remember which engine you have, but that's about the extent of my knowledge unfortunately :(

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Sorry Rhyno. :smith:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is pregnant.

X gets the square! Good work, my personal experience has shown pregnancy is the worst part of having kids (having two ourselves). I'm typing this post while my 15 month old is climbing all over me. :3: It gets better!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

See, this is one of those that needs context before a congrats or a condolences.
You know you're getting old when your friends are getting pregnant on purpose.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The weather in Houston was too nice to pass up an opportunity to ride in the beautiful vistas of Pasadena and Bayport. The sights and sounds of chemical cracking towers really are a thing to behold :v: We ended up riding to the San Jacinto Monument and taking a break at the Battleship Texas :clint: Figured I'd get a photo op with my steed.

I put some easton EA70SL wheels with those newfangled 25mm wide tires (gp4000 s2) and this bike rides better than it ever has. I love the sound of a fast paceline. The sound of bike tires in the morning really is awesome. I love riding :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Pretty sure my neighbors kids just learned some new words thanks to this video game, and my open windows.

Oops.

• Locked thread