Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Torrannor posted:

And Cassandra is proof that not all abominations are bad.

It's not that seekers are possessed by the spirit of faith, it just reaches across the veil and touches them, restoring their voluntary tranquility.

e: it's exceptional because it's difficult, as the Seeker is invisible to the spirit because they've been severed from the Fade. So the strength of their conviction is the only thing that can draw the spirit, and has to be great enough to move the spirit to reach through the Veil of their own volition to touch a thing that they can't directly perceive.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sigrid from Jaws of Hakkon is another Mage who has a positive relationship with the Spirit she merged with.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

effervescible posted:

Shale appears in the Asunder novel after apparently hanging out with Wynne for ten years, but I think that's all.

Oh man, now I kinda want a Dragon Age: Golden Girls expansion. It would just be Wynne and Shale bickering, and it would rule. Maybe Flemeth could show up as the wacky neighbor.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
We've seen several examples mages (and one Templar) who've managed to form symbiotic relationships with a spirit sharing their body. The problem is that most who try it is that either they're directly being lied to and forcibly converted by a demon or they underestimate the full implications and corrupt the spirit themselves (Anders).

Crow Jane posted:

Oh man, now I kinda want a Dragon Age: Golden Girls expansion. It would just be Wynne and Shale bickering, and it would rule. Maybe Flemeth could show up as the wacky neighbor.

Well, a little too late for that for two of the three.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

quote:

Well, a little too late for that for two of the three.

It could be a prequel, like Leliana's Song. Except not a total waste of time

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now I've gotten to wondering if Rhys will ever appear in person in one of the games, and Evangeline's presence is predicated on Wynne's survival, because if she didn't live, then she isn't there to save Evangeline later.

Except Rhys and Evangeline are both alive in DA:I war table missions, so never mind.

I wonder if they'd do something like that with a different character, though. No idea who might fit the bill.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

Now I've gotten to wondering if Rhys will ever appear in person in one of the games, and Evangeline's presence is predicated on Wynne's survival, because if she didn't live, then she isn't there to save Evangeline later.

Except Rhys and Evangeline are both alive in DA:I war table missions, so never mind.

I wonder if they'd do something like that with a different character, though. No idea who might fit the bill.

I think it's safe to say that as far as Bioware's concerned, the "canon" path has everyone recruited and alive. They really should not add options to kill everyone in the future.

I could see Harding return as a full companion and (naturally) romance in a sequel, but I'm having kind of a hard time picking out anyone else that seems likely.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I always thought they'd bring back what's his face from DA2, the Dreamer kid you have to rescue? Seemed like they put a lot of emphasis on him. But I guess he can be killed too, so never mind.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Crow Jane posted:

I always thought they'd bring back what's his face from DA2, the Dreamer kid you have to rescue? Seemed like they put a lot of emphasis on him. But I guess he can be killed too, so never mind.

I think if you kill him in the fade he's made tranquil, so technically they could get around it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kajeesus posted:

I always end up supporting the templars, because the alternative is always free mages with no supervision..

No matter how hard I try to go the mages route, I keep finding it more logical to support the templars. First off, everyone agrees that the Breech is some pretty heavy magic, so I know I'm going to need both templar anti-magic and mages to deal with this. Then when I head to Redcliffe and the mages have signed themselves away to Tevinter, so that confirms I really need to get the templars on board so we can free the mages so I can recruit them, but soon as I do, the mages go to attack which makes me think every drat one of them's a stunad enough that had I recruited them it was going to bite me in the rear end at some point.

At this point I think I put too much analytic thought into this drat game.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

[x]

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, in two(?) of his outcomes, he ends up in Tevinter, and in the other his tranquility could be reversed or maybe didn't really take, and you have a Dagna situation where no matter what he ends up in Tevinter and can pal around with the Agent of the Wolf Hunt.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

M_Sinistrari posted:

No matter how hard I try to go the mages route, I keep finding it more logical to support the templars. First off, everyone agrees that the Breech is some pretty heavy magic, so I know I'm going to need both templar anti-magic and mages to deal with this. Then when I head to Redcliffe and the mages have signed themselves away to Tevinter, so that confirms I really need to get the templars on board so we can free the mages so I can recruit them, but soon as I do, the mages go to attack which makes me think every drat one of them's a stunad enough that had I recruited them it was going to bite me in the rear end at some point.

At this point I think I put too much analytic thought into this drat game.

But the mages came to you with an offer of an alliance and that it was rescinded because of Tevinter interference is just more reason to investigate than go "Nothing suspicious about this change of heart at all, I'll just go talk to the Templars instead."

If you didn't go talk to the mages even after their offer then it makes even less sense to ally with the Templars because the organized mages have been nothing but supportive of you. I'm aware that there are random mages in the Hinterlands who are aggressive to you, but nearly every Templar in the game before going to Therinfal Redoubt is hostile to you, especially the jerkass in charge of them. There's no logical reason to think "Yeah if I just show up on their doorstep they'll talk to me when they've already told me they think I'm poo poo."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That's the whole point of using power - it is basically using Josephine's connections and Leliana's spies and Cullen's... popularity in Orlais? to set up meetings and discover new places.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

But the mages came to you with an offer of an alliance and that it was rescinded because of Tevinter interference is just more reason to investigate than go "Nothing suspicious about this change of heart at all, I'll just go talk to the Templars instead."

If you didn't go talk to the mages even after their offer then it makes even less sense to ally with the Templars because the organized mages have been nothing but supportive of you. I'm aware that there are random mages in the Hinterlands who are aggressive to you, but nearly every Templar in the game before going to Therinfal Redoubt is hostile to you, especially the jerkass in charge of them. There's no logical reason to think "Yeah if I just show up on their doorstep they'll talk to me when they've already told me they think I'm poo poo."

There's also I've got two mages telling me that there's unheard of temporal magic present, so that's going to leave me wondering what other unheard of magic might be happening and anti-magic ability is going to be needed even with investigating further. So the meeting at Redcliffe after the Val Royeaux offer, gives enough reasonable cause to seek out the templars.

And since I don't want to derail the thread into another mages/templars debate, I can also go into why it makes more sense to not recruit Sera ever or reasons why it makes sense to save the Chargers over siding with the Quinari.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's also I've got two mages telling me that there's unheard of temporal magic present, so that's going to leave me wondering what other unheard of magic might be happening and anti-magic ability is going to be needed even with investigating further. So the meeting at Redcliffe after the Val Royeaux offer, gives enough reasonable cause to seek out the templars.

And since I don't want to derail the thread into another mages/templars debate, I can also go into why it makes more sense to not recruit Sera ever or reasons why it makes sense to save the Chargers over siding with the Quinari.

And one of those mages is a known expert offering you a chance to get behind enemy lines and counter the magic right now while you still have the element of surprise instead of however long it takes to get to the Templars and convince them to stop hating you in hopes that they're usual, not-at-all subtle approach works on somehow who can save scum. All in hopes that you can get there before the Tevinters can get to their blood magic brainwashing.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 3, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It also doesn't help that when you get to Val Royeaux the mage leader is all "hey come talk to us this could be beneficial" and the Templar leader is all "HAHA JUST PUNCHED OUT AN OLD WOMAN EAT poo poo INQUISITION I'M EVIL"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Eh, both of those are understandable. Except that everyone knows Sera's recruitable so they do it anyway, and even then some people kick her out afterwards because they can't handle her. Plus most people know that realistically siding with the Qunari would make more sense (except that it's the Qunari, who don't have the best track record as allies), but they get attached to the Chargers/Bull.

It's not that people don't know the logical choice, but the metagame/emotional choice wins out.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Honestly, knowing the Qunari, siding with them is short term gain for long term loss, not just the Chargers, or the Trespasser spoilers, but the fact that the Qunari don't give a crap about treaties and as soon as it serves them, their alliance will be broken and you wouldn't hear about it until they attacked. It's really not a question about Qunari alliance, but a balancing of short vs long term benefits

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just go to the abyss in The Descent and HOLY loving poo poo WHAT THE HELL THEY HAVE GUNS??? WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!!!!??

Maiden posted:

Honestly, knowing the Qunari, siding with them is short term gain for long term loss, not just the Chargers, or the Trespasser spoilers, but the fact that the Qunari don't give a crap about treaties and as soon as it serves them, their alliance will be broken and you wouldn't hear about it until they attacked. It's really not a question about Qunari alliance, but a balancing of short vs long term benefits

Yea, that's why I feel allying with them is not the best choice in the long run.

Every fight in the descent takes A)forever and B)depletes all of my health pots. I thought Knight-enchanters do mad damage, but mine does like 200 a hit. I can do more damage by standing off and throwing basic attacks.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 3, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There's one fight in Descent where I honestly thought it had bugged out because it kept spawning more and more guys. I think that one fight went on for twenty minutes just killing dudes spawning in the far corners of the map two or three at a time. It reminded me of the first time I played Origins and the Redcliffe zombie attack bugged out and didn't stop spawning zombies, so I was trying to defend the villagers for well over two hours.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

I also thought he would come back, but since Inquisition didn't take place in Tevinter, it makes sense. Since we are likely going there in DA4, we can still encounter him there. His fate was important enough to include him in the Keep at least, even though that doesn't have to mean anything.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Every fight in the descent takes A)forever and B)depletes all of my health pots. I thought Knight-enchanters do mad damage, but mine does like 200 a hit. I can do more damage by standing off and throwing basic attacks.

While I love that DLC, the combat is a slog, everything has like 50% melee defense

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Knight-Enchanters got massively nerfed with the latest patch. Now you have to "build up" your magic sword power with other attacks, and using your spirit blade will deplete the charge. You can see the charge indicator on the side of your skill bar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Knight-Enchanters got massively nerfed with the latest patch. Now you have to "build up" your magic sword power with other attacks, and using your spirit blade will deplete the charge. You can see the charge indicator on the side of your skill bar.

Yea I figured that part out, even at a lot of charge, its still crap damage. I get one hit thats about 1k damage, and the rest plink away at 200. It wasn't so bad in the regular story stuff because I outleveled everything it didn't matter, but down here. Holy poo poo.

Maiden posted:

While I love that DLC, the combat is a slog, everything has like 50% melee defense

That explains everything. Almost everything seems to have a knockdown too.

Lotish posted:

There's one fight in Descent where I honestly thought it had bugged out because it kept spawning more and more guys. I think that one fight went on for twenty minutes just killing dudes spawning in the far corners of the map two or three at a time. It reminded me of the first time I played Origins and the Redcliffe zombie attack bugged out and didn't stop spawning zombies, so I was trying to defend the villagers for well over two hours.

It it the one with the two Ogres? Because that spawned both Alpha's and an endless supply of hurlocks the entire time. The only good thing was I could keep using my focus ability. Who thought "Man, fighting two Ogres, the toughest enemies in the game, isn't hard enough, we should have lots of adds"

EDIT: no wait, its probably the one near the final barrier. They just keep comming! Cole stop dying!

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 3, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Uh, wow. Cassandra doesn't need anybody else in the Inquisition, girl never goes down.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, both of those are understandable. Except that everyone knows Sera's recruitable so they do it anyway, and even then some people kick her out afterwards because they can't handle her.

I think I'm the only person who's never recruited Sera at all. I hadn't sat through any of the youtube footage before I started my first playthrough and I didn't recruit Sera because that was just too much WTF? for me, and I was still doing plenty of kvetching over the buggy state of the game then. Subsequent playthroughs where I paid attention to what she said and did pretty much set it in stone that she's a don't recruit. Wants to join up, okay. Ask what she's able to bring with and can't bring noble connections, can't bring soldiers, can't bring spies, can only bring people who's reliability could swing either way. She already considers the Inquisitor as one of the Important-I Crush You types, and in what's a display of her skills is stealing pants instead of stealing or sabotaging weapons. Not to mention gets snitty over 'too elfy' to a Dalish Inquisitor wearing the complex Elgar'nan face tatt. As Josephine's already given the lecture about the importance of image and perception for the Inquisition at this stage, if I recruit Sera, I'm pretty sure Josephine's going to smack my Inquisitor upside the head with her scribe's board.

In short, Sera = HR & PR nightmare for the Inquisition.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I do admit that Sera doesn't seem to have any obvious benefit to the Inquisition as she was beyond being someone to give all those longbows to. She claims that the Friends of the Red Jenny are useful, but they're so loosely organized that they're highly unreliable. Combined with her own attitude problems and you can see why she's the only companion who you always have the option to kick out. Just about the only unique thing she brings to the table is her specialization. Even her "common man" perspective falls flat because she's so close minded and ignorant while Varric gives you much more useful information on them.

Still, she did join up when the Inquisition was desperate for allies and, to her credit, she sticks around even after Corypheus shows up. So she's annoying, but she is loyal and a good fighter, so she gets to stay in hopes that she'll grow up a little.

I still don't trust the Qunari enough to see allying with them as a good long term plan even if their intel is very useful.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SgtSteel91 posted:

Sigrid from Jaws of Hakkon is another Mage who has a positive relationship with the Spirit she merged with.

Yeah except her tribe, people and the spirits that lead them view her prolonged relationship with her training spirit as more infantile than dangerous. Like the magical equivalent of living with your parents when you're well enough in means that you can survive on your own.

But the Avaar in general are different from usual Thedas mages in that they haven't lived under a faith that severely retarded magical understanding across the board that their only means of magic are whatever weak "schools" the church views as tolerable but evil and BLOODMAGIC. The Avaar as a whole have a better understanding of the fade and spirits and thus probably understand that spirits are affected by the thoughts and actions of people and not some unquestionably evil thing that must be a demon, eventually making sure that the spirit in question will likely become a demon because general Dragon Age bullshit.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crabtree posted:

The Avaar as a whole have a better understanding of the fade and spirits and thus probably understand that spirits are affected by the thoughts and actions of people and not some unquestionably evil thing that must be a demon, thus likely making more bad spirits and demons.

Merril of all people has a good line about that when dealing with Anders: "All spirits are dangerous. I understood that. I'm sorry that you didn't."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cythereal posted:

Merril of all people has a good line about that when dealing with Anders: "All spirits are dangerous. I understood that. I'm sorry that you didn't."

If DA2 was a little better written Anders could be a perfect tragedy in the sense that A Spirit of Justice picked the absolute worst potential psychopath to possess and forced him to become Vengeance. I kind of hope another Cole like character comes about because I'd like to see a Spirit try to show the player how they see the echos of human/dwarf/qunari/elf actions and feelings in everything around them instead of just try to describe it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 3, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

twistedmentat posted:

I just go to the abyss in The Descent and HOLY loving poo poo WHAT THE HELL THEY HAVE GUNS??? WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!!!!??

Er, are they? I played a rogue archer through that so I was never close enough to them to tell. I thought they were just really ultra painful crossbows. I've never seen a screenshot of the weapon they're using.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think I'm the only person who's never recruited Sera at all. I hadn't sat through any of the youtube footage before I started my first playthrough and I didn't recruit Sera because that was just too much WTF? for me, and I was still doing plenty of kvetching over the buggy state of the game then. Subsequent playthroughs where I paid attention to what she said and did pretty much set it in stone that she's a don't recruit. Wants to join up, okay. Ask what she's able to bring with and can't bring noble connections, can't bring soldiers, can't bring spies, can only bring people who's reliability could swing either way. She already considers the Inquisitor as one of the Important-I Crush You types, and in what's a display of her skills is stealing pants instead of stealing or sabotaging weapons. Not to mention gets snitty over 'too elfy' to a Dalish Inquisitor wearing the complex Elgar'nan face tatt. As Josephine's already given the lecture about the importance of image and perception for the Inquisition at this stage, if I recruit Sera, I'm pretty sure Josephine's going to smack my Inquisitor upside the head with her scribe's board.

In short, Sera = HR & PR nightmare for the Inquisition.

Look, if you don't recruit Sera, how are you gonna get the Jar of Bees? That's a vital grenade, son. Never leave home without it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sera is still more useful than Vivienne, I don't think the later contributes anything at all, if I could give any character the boot it would be her.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Sera is still more useful than Vivienne, I don't think the later contributes anything at all, if I could give any character the boot it would be her.

They're really very similar. They're both rude, opinionated, arrogant, ignorant, and have an attitude problem. Sera, however, tries to actively help out, while Vivienne vocally judges you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BrianWilly posted:

It's still a really strong class with the passive to build barrier on hits and the spend 50% barrier for bonus damage out of the fire tree :ssh: You end up with fire mines doing a handy 15-20k.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Yeah they didn't actually nerf the class. all they did was nerf the signature ability, which means new people get the game, get their magic sword, then go 'this sucks' and regret picking the specilization

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I figured that part out, even at a lot of charge, its still crap damage. I get one hit thats about 1k damage, and the rest plink away at 200. It wasn't so bad in the regular story stuff because I outleveled everything it didn't matter, but down here. Holy poo poo.

Are you using Amplified Blade? Don't use Amplified Blade. A Spirit Blade hit at 99 charge is going to be the same regardless of whether you are using Amplified Blade or not. All the upgrade does is change the rate at which charge is gained and depleted.

Here was my typical endgame rotation when it comes to playing my Knight-Enchanter.

Static Cage (w/ Lightning Cage upgrade)
Energy Barrage
Auto-Attack until 99 blade charge if you're not there already.
Spirit Blade x3 (w/o Amplified Blade)
Fire Mine (w/ Flame Array)
Immolate for good measure if you want.

If you think KE is all about the lightsaber and infinite barriers, you're wrong. That's means to an end, and that end is barrier buff-master and many many many explosions.

Disclaimer: I've only played the game in a post-KE "nerf" world so I dunno how it was before.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are you using Amplified Blade? Don't use Amplified Blade. A Spirit Blade hit at 99 charge is going to be the same regardless of whether you are using Amplified Blade or not. All the upgrade does is change the rate at which charge is gained and depleted..

Not to mention that Defensive blade lets you hit away everything, even dragon breath balls, with the right timing. You are the Jedi now, padawan

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Speaking of specializations, I was gathering the materials for Reaver earlier and noticed despite picking up Iron Bull's book on Reaving, it didn't count. Now the book is gone and it's not showing up in the Val Royeaux book shop. So much for that, I guess.

edit: To be clear, I didn't notice for something like 5 hours because I was doing other quests, and I'm not interested in going back to the save before I clicked Bull's book.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

If DA2 was a little better written Anders could be a perfect tragedy in the sense that A Spirit of Justice picked the absolute worst potential psychopath to possess and forced him to become Vengeance. I kind of hope another Cole like character comes about because I'd like to see a Spirit try to show the player how they see the echos of human/dwarf/qunari/elf actions and feelings in everything around them instead of just try to describe it.

One Cole was enough. Using the idea again just becomes an excuse of the writers to give exposition without having to bother justifying it in story.

• Locked thread