Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think, as a general philosophy, delays are good since I'd rather authors not release something they're unsatisfied with

I'm speaking from a stance where I read a fair amount of authors that release only a tiny number of books a decade tho, so that's why I have that sort of preference

Not that time spent writing is in anyway an indicator of the quality of the finished product, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's like if I tell you I'm taking you to Disney World for your birthday, and then I give you socks. If I just gave you socks, that's one thing. But, I unfairly planted the seeds of something much better in your mind.

To be fair, he already sort of did this to us with WMF.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Specifically, the author made a verbal commitment to release dates. Given the degree to which that slipped, it is not unfair for people to be upset.
The degree to which the release dates have slipped, for the record, is 5 years and counting.

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

In November 2012, Rothfuss thought he would have to "rush" to get Day 3 out by the end of 2013. You'd think two extra years would be enough to fix that "rush" problem. but apparently not. Hilariously, he later then said it "probably won't be 2015," which people in 2013 took to mean "2014" rather than "2016 or after I'm dead."

quote:

[Update: Pat has said in another interview that “It probably won’t be 2015, but it isn’t going to be this year as well.” Which means the release date for book 3 will probably be in 2014. — Just thought I’d add this is, since most of you have come here from trying to find the release date ;) ] – http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/99 at about 11:50

R: Alright, cause I have a post on anticipated fantasy novels of 2013, and I was hesitant about adding it on there.

P: I would be surprised if it came out in 2013. I would have to rush things, and I really don’t want to rush.
http://archeddoorway.com/2012/11/15/an-interview-with-patrick-rothfuss/

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 2, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kids these days want to be authors more than they want to write.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Kids these days want to be authors more than they want to write.

This is really a thing. Someone mentioned Sanderson upthread a bit - I get the impression of him being the only major player in fantasy right now (since Pratchett died :smith:) who treats writing as his job. Not being a writer, WRITING, actually getting behind a computer and putting words on disk. It seems to be something he does more than full-time, and the side-stuff like Writing Excuses and book tours are just that - site stuff, hobbies. There are a lot of people whose job is author who don't actually WRITE much, and I always find it to be a shame.

No, they don't owe us creative endeavour, or indeed anything.

But... at the same time, it can be infuriating watching a book someone claims to have loving written already get delayed by years at a goddamn time for no apparent reason other than that he's not actually writing it enough.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
For a lot of people there's a connection to the author too. There are probably a lot of people that feel closer and enjoy GRRM's books more (or the memory becomes fonder, or whatever) because they feel like they know him better. And they know him better by all the "extra" stuff he does.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the balance is, but I'm sure there is one.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Someone mentioned JK Rowling as being an author who put out books at a good pace. If Rothfuss releases the next book within a year or two, he'll have written at the same pace as Rowling. It just feels slower because it's coming in three books instead of seven. The nature of Harry Potter's story structure also probably has an impact.

As for the "extra stuff," all that poo poo is also part of his job. Publishers don't have much in the way of advertising. Nowadays, authors really have to foster awareness of themselves or their books won't sell. Most importantly, the fact that you see him doing anything but writing doesn't mean that he isn't writing. Writing isn't a public activity. It doesn't call attention to itself. Doing publicity stuff does. Therefore, your perception of how authors spend their time is invariably going to be skewed if you follow them on twitter or read their blogs or whatever.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's just no way I see this working out well for Rothfuss. His limp-wristed handlers at DAW may be unable to force him to even acknowledge that deadlines are actual things, but movie studios generally don't play like that. That's a lesson GRRM seemed to struggle to learn and I can't imagine it'll be any easier on Rothfuss.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

This is really a thing. Someone mentioned Sanderson upthread a bit - I get the impression of him being the only major player in fantasy right now (since Pratchett died :smith:) who treats writing as his job. Not being a writer, WRITING, actually getting behind a computer and putting words on disk. It seems to be something he does more than full-time, and the side-stuff like Writing Excuses and book tours are just that - site stuff, hobbies. There are a lot of people whose job is author who don't actually WRITE much, and I always find it to be a shame.

No, they don't owe us creative endeavour, or indeed anything.

But... at the same time, it can be infuriating watching a book someone claims to have loving written already get delayed by years at a goddamn time for no apparent reason other than that he's not actually writing it enough.

Is Sanderson the one with the anecdotes about forcing himself to write a certain amount each morning, then editing it in the afternoon? Like his goal is to write at least 10 pages no matter how stuck his is, then go back over it and see if there was anything really good he wrote and then work on that aspect.

Rothfuss is just GRRM 2.0, only now rather then it take 2-3 books for an author's fame to skyrocket to the point of them being invited to tons of conventions it only takes 1 that goes "viral" for lack of a better word. Even taking that stupid Auri book into account, Rothfuss has only written 3 books in almost a decade, and that doesn't take into account how long he wrote the original treatment that his editors "insisted" he break up into a trilogy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pentyne posted:

Is Sanderson the one with the anecdotes about forcing himself to write a certain amount each morning, then editing it in the afternoon? Like his goal is to write at least 10 pages no matter how stuck his is, then go back over it and see if there was anything really good he wrote and then work on that aspect.

Rothfuss is just GRRM 2.0, only now rather then it take 2-3 books for an author's fame to skyrocket to the point of them being invited to tons of conventions it only takes 1 that goes "viral" for lack of a better word. Even taking that stupid Auri book into account, Rothfuss has only written 3 books in almost a decade, and that doesn't take into account how long he wrote the original treatment that his editors "insisted" he break up into a trilogy.

Something like that, yes. Sanderson WRITES. He writes for fun, and is lucky enough to get paid for it. He writes a certain amount each day and will not let himself do otherwise. His chill-out-on-a-plane routine is to write a book. This can lead to books that are a bit churny, and it shows with some of his earlier work, but here's the thing: by doing it, he gets practice. He's now written, I think, somewhere between twice and three times as many (published) words as Rothfuss, and many times more completed stories. And each thing he writes, gives him practice in the craft of writing.

Wittgen posted:

Someone mentioned JK Rowling as being an author who put out books at a good pace. If Rothfuss releases the next book within a year or two, he'll have written at the same pace as Rowling. It just feels slower because it's coming in three books instead of seven. The nature of Harry Potter's story structure also probably has an impact.

As for the "extra stuff," all that poo poo is also part of his job. Publishers don't have much in the way of advertising. Nowadays, authors really have to foster awareness of themselves or their books won't sell. Most importantly, the fact that you see him doing anything but writing doesn't mean that he isn't writing. Writing isn't a public activity. It doesn't call attention to itself. Doing publicity stuff does. Therefore, your perception of how authors spend their time is invariably going to be skewed if you follow them on twitter or read their blogs or whatever.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I find it HILARIOUS that people still believe Rothfuss is going to stop at three books.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I find it HILARIOUS that people still believe Rothfuss is going to stop at three books.

By the time Rothfuss has finished #3, he's going to be a century old.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Christ, he thinks, by my age I ought to know. You don't get on by being original. You don't get on by being bright. You don't get on by being strong. You get on by being a subtle crook..."

Thomas Cromwell has come far in life from a beaten and bruised son of a blacksmith. He's traveled the Continent as a soldier, a banker, and a lawyer, and learned everything there is to know about the world and how it is run. He is a "master of practical solutions", the foremost political agent of his day. And the question of the day is how King Henry will annul marriage. While his master, Cardinal Wolsey, falls pursuing the answer, Cromwell finds himself the right man in the right place: the master of the law, finance, and wit against reactionaries and mystics. First part of a trilogy, Wolf Hall is a lively and convincing portrait of how lupine politics test individuals.

Mantel's novel is about of a modern man in an age of transition. Wolf Hall, like its Cromwell, is not one for platitudes about power and fickleness of fortune. There are novels are about the realities of power, and then there are novels like Wolf Hall, about the very base matter of politics. What happens to great men when they fall is inseparable from what happens to their kitchens when they do. And this is how Mantel breathes life into one of the most well-trodden fields of English historical fiction: by focusing on the basic reality of life in Tudor England, the lives of people great and small. Her Cromwell is too modern and perfect, especially in contrast to the dysfunctions of 16th Century England, but through him, Mantel manages to find solid reality and a great story behind the cliches of Tudor pageantry. As a portrait of a society where high ideals clash with base realities, it is persuasive, and thus universal.

The finished Kingkiller Chronicle looks to be more than twice as long as Mantel's projected trilogy, which tells the same story but better in every way.

Also a BBC miniseries.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 10, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm about a fifth of the way through Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb and I'm really enjoying that on a level that The Name of the Wind didn't really hit. Hobb's prose is really good and I have a lot more respect for her as an author than I do for Rothfuss. Is the Farseer Trilogy worth sticking with?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Something like that, yes. Sanderson WRITES. He writes for fun, and is lucky enough to get paid for it. He writes a certain amount each day and will not let himself do otherwise. His chill-out-on-a-plane routine is to write a book. This can lead to books that are a bit churny, and it shows with some of his earlier work, but here's the thing: by doing it, he gets practice. He's now written, I think, somewhere between twice and three times as many (published) words as Rothfuss, and many times more completed stories. And each thing he writes, gives him practice in the craft of writing.

And he still writes glorified fluff out of an RPG sourcebook. He writes action scenes like he's telling you how to handle a tabletop encounter and he writes dialogue like a group of players sitting around a table treading water until the next encounter. He gets a lot of words on paper but he does it at the expense of basically everything other than world-building. I'll take Name of the Wind over any of the player handbooks that Sanderson's churned out, with no regrets. Sanderson's probably the only writer that I think might actually benefit from slowing down because maybe then we'd get a story that's more than just an excuse to show off the worldbuilding.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Take Erikson, then. 10+ books, every single one of them vastly superior, still constantly writing and planning out new stuff.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
I'm not a huge fan of Sanderson's writing, it just didn't grab me the way my first read through of NoTW did. That said, Joe Abercrombie is a beast. Hugely impressed with his writing, worldbuilding, characters, and speed at which the story moved along. I'm still working my way through his catalog, but it's excellent stuff

That said, I'm simultaneously doing a re-read of the Cold Commands (A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy) by Richard K. Morgan, because grimdark.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Khizan posted:

And he still writes glorified fluff out of an RPG sourcebook. He writes action scenes like he's telling you how to handle a tabletop encounter and he writes dialogue like a group of players sitting around a table treading water until the next encounter. He gets a lot of words on paper but he does it at the expense of basically everything other than world-building. I'll take Name of the Wind over any of the player handbooks that Sanderson's churned out, with no regrets. Sanderson's probably the only writer that I think might actually benefit from slowing down because maybe then we'd get a story that's more than just an excuse to show off the worldbuilding.

I'll grant you that he has the unfortunate tendency to write just such an RPG sourcebook description of his magic system in the first few chapters of every new series he writes, which might give somebody the wrong impression of his works. That said, this description is otherwise utterly wrong. I'll take Shallan trying to be funny (and failing) over nearly any dialogue Rothfuss has written in the Name of the Wind (Bast is clearly the superior character). I also appreciate that his magic has a clear set of rules that aren't easily broken, which makes them behave in predictable ways, until they don't when he's exploiting a loophole that you could have seen coming, but didn't.

Aquarium Gravel posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Sanderson's writing, it just didn't grab me the way my first read through of NoTW did. That said, Joe Abercrombie is a beast. Hugely impressed with his writing, worldbuilding, characters, and speed at which the story moved along. I'm still working my way through his catalog, but it's excellent stuff

That said, I'm simultaneously doing a re-read of the Cold Commands (A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy) by Richard K. Morgan, because grimdark.

I feel that his works after the First Law trilogy were weaker. Best Served Cold was okay, but I was bored for most of The Heroes, and I didn't finish Red Country. That said, The First law books were some of the best fantasy literature I've read in the last decade.

A Land Fit for Heroes is a refreshing read, too bad that the straight main character has a much less interesting story arc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

GRRM and Rothfuss do tons of poo poo that involves not writing, Sanderson gets bored on a plane flight and writes a novella that ends up becoming a trilogy. I have a huge fear that he's going to burn out in a few years and we'll be stuck on book 3 or 4 of Stormlight and never see the end of it though.

Boing posted:

I'm about a fifth of the way through Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb and I'm really enjoying that on a level that The Name of the Wind didn't really hit. Hobb's prose is really good and I have a lot more respect for her as an author than I do for Rothfuss. Is the Farseer Trilogy worth sticking with?

It's good. The Liveship Traders is also good if you can make it through the painfully slow start where everyone seems to be competing to see who's the biggest idiot/rear end in a top hat on the planet. Though the biggest rear end in a top hat is clearly Kyle, who has absolutely no redeeming qualities at any time and is probably the biggest piece of poo poo in any of Hobbs' books, though a guy in the Rain Wild Traders books comes close. I'd say go through the first trilogy and if you like it, try the Liveship one as it's not directly related but if you move on to the Tawny Man Trilogy it'll have Liveship references that won't make as much sense, while spoiling some of the Liveship stuff if you'd read it later.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Torrannor posted:

I feel that his works after the First Law trilogy were weaker. Best Served Cold was okay, but I was bored for most of The Heroes, and I didn't finish Red Country. That said, The First law books were some of the best fantasy literature I've read in the last decade.

A Land Fit for Heroes is a refreshing read, too bad that the straight main character has a much less interesting story arc.

That's depressing, I'm just about finished with the First Law books, can't put them down. I had hoped that the follow-up three set in the same world would be as good. That said the "Half a "series of books are pretty excellent, I read those first for some reason.

And agreed, the Dragonsbane had the most straightforward and uninteresting arc, but I personally choose to believe that's the author's way of saying "Barbarian steppe nomads are not inherently interesting, so I'll put him next to some exciting events instead." And I enjoyed him as a character, regardless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Should be noted that opinions on the other three books differ wildly; I, for one, enjoyed Heroes by far the most of all of Abercrombie's stuff. I'd suggest just reading them and forming your own opinion.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Take Erikson, then. 10+ books, every single one of them vastly superior, still constantly writing and planning out new stuff.

Yeah, Erikson's a great example, along with Joe Abercrombie. Jim Butcher, even. I just get irritated seeing Sanderson brought up as this great example of a writer who actually writes, because Sanderson churns out a ton of books but none of them stand out as being particularly good. "Competent but bland" is pretty much the best description of him I can come up with.

Boing posted:

The rest of that trilogy is good, and I liked the Liveship Traders. I didn't really care for the Tawny Man trilogy because I don't actually like Fitz or the Fool much at all. I'd rather read about literally anything else in that world than those two, which is why I haven't even bothered with the third trilogy about them. Rain Wilds was boring and overly long. It's two books worth of good story stretched across four books, and it does not benefit from that at all.

Aquarium Gravel posted:

That's depressing, I'm just about finished with the First Law books, can't put them down. I had hoped that the follow-up three set in the same world would be as good.

I think that Best Served Cold and The Heroes are his best books, personally, and I like the take on Red Country. It's a western set in the Circle of the World.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Yeah, The Heroes is great. Took me a while to "adjust" to it but by the end I was all in.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Aquarium Gravel posted:

That's depressing, I'm just about finished with the First Law books, can't put them down. I had hoped that the follow-up three set in the same world would be as good. That said the "Half a "series of books are pretty excellent, I read those first for some reason.

And agreed, the Dragonsbane had the most straightforward and uninteresting arc, but I personally choose to believe that's the author's way of saying "Barbarian steppe nomads are not inherently interesting, so I'll put him next to some exciting events instead." And I enjoyed him as a character, regardless.
Keep in mind that's just one guy's opinion. I enjoyed the three standalone books and I feel that they're actually superior books from a writing and characterization standpoint (which makes sense because Abercrombie's gaining experience with each book). I'd read them for yourself and form your own opinions of them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

anilEhilated posted:

While I loved the Book of the Fallen I think Erikson had really written himself into a few corners by the end of book 7. Book 8 does a good job with keeping the show running but I feel like 9 and 10 were pretty much him rolling a dice to figure out what got resolved off screen, what wound up just being unimportant (eg. Draconos killing the elder gods after they release the dragon with very little explanation as to what their plan was to begin with, or The white faces all getting killed unceremoneously because he couldn't think of an enemy army for them at the spire), and what was "all according to plan" (Everything Shadowthrone, Cottilion, and Quick Ben do).

Still fantastic, loved the Bonehunters the whole way through.

Currently I'm enjoying the Craft Sequence. Although I guess thats more Urban Fantasy. Its premise is essentiall that magic is a science that has replaced most of the Gods and in practice is a mix of Accounting, Lawyering, and Engineering.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
After reading FoD and having most of my theories about what was going on in the Malazan world mercilessly shattered, I'd going to believe the "it was planned" angle. Some of the things you actually mention are explained (Elder Gods - what they want to do is literally gently caress poo poo up, they run on blood, the more slaughter the better and Errant more or less got away with it) and he's still got a lot going on in the universe as opposed to, say, this thread's topic which has his world literally revolve around the main character.

Also the Craft Sequence is great and I wish Gladstone would write faster.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

anilEhilated posted:

Some of the things you actually mention are explained (Elder Gods - what they want to do is literally gently caress poo poo up, they run on blood, the more slaughter the better and Errant more or less got away with it)

My big issue with this is that what they do is a key ingredient for the "It was the plan all along" bit. Yet they do it on their own as an act of chaos.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Sanderson is not a great author, and a lot of his stuff reads like a hybrid videogame/table top RPG tie-in novel; however, The Emperor's Soul is miles better than anything Rothfuss has ever done.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Hobb is not an especially great writer and there are no surprises or genius moments. She is measured and disciplined in her story though, and I enjoyed the Fitz stuff quite a bit. The characters are pretty decently fleshed out and realistic. I never read the Liveship stuff though.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

The white faces all getting killed unceremoneously because he couldn't think of an enemy army for them at the spire),

They were killed because of what they did to Tool and Hetan.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

He has a cheese puff stuck in his beard.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Flattened Spoon posted:

He has a cheese puff stuck in his beard.

I assumed it was the end of an ear mic.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I assumed it was the end of an ear mic.

Don't ruin this for us

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its like he googled "How to look like a fantasy writer" and just ran with it. Isn't he in his early 40's?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its like he googled "How to look like a fantasy writer" and just ran with it. Isn't he in his early 40's?

That early 40's age, that late 60's body.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

He used a Monkey's Paw to wish he could be like GRRM. He got both the fame and the looks, apparently.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

He used a Monkey's Paw to wish he could be like GRRM. He got both the fame and the looks, apparently.

And the inability to publish a book in any reasonable amount of time! HEEEEYYYYYOOOOOHHHH!!!!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Not being able to name the series "Kingslayer Chronicle" was probably a bitter pill to swallow.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
He really missed out when he didn't go with Kingmurderer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kingocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kvothe and the Art of Savings: A Tale of Youth and Properly Balanced Finance Sheets; Volume One: Of Lose and Work Orders

• Locked thread