Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Waterlines do cost a minuscule amount of upkeep. So I guess there's a bit of a reason to go back and remove redundancy and unnecessary distances from your system, but probably only for the sort of :spergin: like me who'd also min-max budget levels.

Pretty much. You might conceivably want to tweak them during the very beginning, when every ¢ counts and both power and water consumption from a single source vastly outproduces the demand — cutting electricity upkeep from 200 to 100 a week means you get more precious roads down sooner. Nuking a bunch of unnecessary power lines can really help early on.1

With water, that goes out the window from the very start due to the absolute necessity to separate pumps and sewage by a fair margin, and having no auto-spread — both forcing you to spam pipes over long distances anyway. So really, why is it even there? They could bake it into the water pump upkeep and the only difference would be less busywork.

1 Actually, it become a bit fun again when you unlock solar power and can save a sizeable chunk of cash during the day by switching to the much cheaper and more abundant power source. The difference still isn't huge and health care and education dwarfs it completely at that point, but it's one of the few tangible effects the day/night cycle has on the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Add temperature so we also need to deal with freezing pipes, water main breaks, and the subsequent traffic jams. :twisted:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes, please. I want Cities: Dwarf Fortress (alt. Title: Cities: Moscow), where a million small things gradually go wrong.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Donut truck doesn't arrive at a destination on time starting a death spiral that wipes out your city.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Has someone put together a good list of recommended mods that work with After Dark? I hadn't played since a month or so after launch and also wiped my mod list clean trying to deal with an odd problem, and now I dunno where to even begin.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has someone put together a good list of recommended mods that work with After Dark? I hadn't played since a month or so after launch and also wiped my mod list clean trying to deal with an odd problem, and now I dunno where to even begin.

All 25 Areas purchasable
Auto Line Color
City Vitals Watch
Extended Building Information
Extended Public Transport UI] (not fully AD-compatible yet – it lacks taxi information, but it still works).
Fine Road Heights
Info View Button Enabler
NoPillars
Precision Engineering
Traffic Report Tool
Traffic Manager

Also,

TreeBrush — because having too many trees is pretty.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 2, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm pretty proud of the central junction of my city, it flows fairly smoothly and provides many options for different destinations. It has connections to the port, rail yard, commercial zone, tourism zone and airport.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Manslaughter posted:

I've never understood the point of needing to place water lines either. Maybe if the water consumption efficiency or water pressure could be influenced by the layout of your pipe system, it could be an interesting mechanic, but right now it's just busywork. There's no punishment for laying pipes wherever, and never a situation where you wouldn't want a building to have access to water.
If water pressure was a thing, then poop powered dams would become a thing of the past, a true disaster. Really though, I wouldn't actually mind having to think about water pressure, encouraging the construction of water towers and poo poo to be able to supply an area, something which would have an actual effect on the look of your city. Either make it something to care about, or make buildings come with their own water pipes like they do underground wires.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a mod that condenses or changes the menus for buying roads and stuff so I can see more than a few at a time? Especially in the parks section its so full of stuff that I wish I could see more at a time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

There are so many things in the water and electricity category that really serve no useful purpose, or where the supposed balancing mechanic is off. The non-eco friendly power generation options all cost too much, either to build or to maintain (and often both) to be sane choices, and you can't build a map without a water supply so what's even the point of water towers?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tippis posted:

There are so many things in the water and electricity category that really serve no useful purpose, or where the supposed balancing mechanic is off. The non-eco friendly power generation options all cost too much, either to build or to maintain (and often both) to be sane choices, and you can't build a map without a water supply so what's even the point of water towers?

I use water towers on maps where there's no big bay, lake or sea on the map and I don't want the riverbed sucked dry with pumps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The point of water towers is so you accidentally forget one single tower is there and let pollution creep up on it, turning your city into 14th century Europe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Reason posted:

Is there a mod that condenses or changes the menus for buying roads and stuff so I can see more than a few at a time? Especially in the parks section its so full of stuff that I wish I could see more at a time.
I'll second this question.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The point of water towers is so you accidentally forget one single tower is there and let pollution creep up on it, turning your city into 14th century Europe
An expanded water system with proper aquifers could greatly expand on this! Heavy metal poisoning from your industry turning your population is just what the game needs.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Donut truck doesn't arrive at a destination on time starting a death spiral that wipes out your city.

Mokotow posted:

Yes, please. I want Cities: Dwarf Fortress (alt. Title: Cities: Moscow), where a million small things gradually go wrong.

Polonium shipment is confused for tea; no noticeable change

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zedprime posted:

Water lines are the bigger sin because at least with power lines you take a moment to consider how its going to impact how pretty your screenshots from any given angle will be.

I REALLY want underground power lines I hate spending forever trying to space power lines correctly over some highway/road so I can actually place them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

socialsecurity posted:

I REALLY want underground power lines I hate spending forever trying to space power lines correctly over some highway/road so I can actually place them.

place the segment that has to go over first, then connect it on either end. same goes for a bunch of stuff actually

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I think you can put them underground with the fine height adjustment mod — at least you can put their elevation into negative numbers, and I've manage to squeeze them under bridges like that, but I don't think I have actually tested whether or not this lets them skip ground-level roads.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tippis posted:

I think you can put them underground with the fine height adjustment mod — at least you can put their elevation into negative numbers, and I've manage to squeeze them under bridges like that, but I don't think I have actually tested whether or not this lets them skip ground-level roads.

I’ve had lines broken by rising water, so I speculate that collision with terrain may break them as well.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So if you click too fast you can stack plopables:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Croccers posted:

So if you click too fast you can stack plopables:

:eyepop:

How fast were you clicking?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think once you hit X size the game starts polling/recalculating the game grid more and more slowly. I know if you de-zone a chunk in the middle of your CBD and then re-zone it, it sometimes won't properly de-zone. Probably on a slow enough computer you can probably stack a ton of poo poo in between re-pollings.

/theorycrafting

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Clicking that fast would help too.
Also the game just seizes up if you stack too many windmills. It doesn't freeze the program or crashes, the simulation just refuses to run. I can still move around the map and get info on things but time just refuses to move.
I wonder if I could power Solar at night with all those windmills....

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
More on insane stacking:

Not enough gulls. I can do better :black101:

Traffic jam from everyone trying to visit the quantum park.
Oh a dead person? Better plop down a quantum cemetery then!

Stacking Wastage pipes kindof works?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Croccers posted:

More on insane stacking:

Stacking Wastage pipes kindof works?

:stare:

It's like zone stacking in the original Simcity taken to it's terrible end. Zone borders? We won't need those where we're going...

Grabbed an existing radio tower asset off of the workshop that is pretty good looking but the author hasn't made it After Dark ready. So I took five minutes in the asset editor and strapped some red flood lights to it. The normal red warning strobes were just too dim to show up at any distance.

As far as the downtown core there is concerned: Is that as tall as growable buildings that ship with the game get or am I doing something wrong?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Do water pumps need to hooked into pipes to suck water up or just powered?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

As far as the downtown core there is concerned: Is that as tall as growable buildings that ship with the game get or am I doing something wrong?

I think you're missing out on the last level here, though it might be that there's no 4x4 plots for the tallest growables to start appearing?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Croccers posted:

I think so, but you don't need to actually connect them to your main water grid.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Croccers posted:

Saw someone mentioned they need pipes (to eachother for example), but you can turn them off, they will keep sucking.

I know nighttime in this game is new and cool, but can we please get daytime screenshots as well if you are trying to show off an intersection or some road spaghetti? It's hard to trace roads when you can't see them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This game is awesome. I want the team behind it, the team behind Tropico, and the team behind Animal Crossing to all team up and make The Ultimate Game.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I want Colossal Order, the people behind VISSIM, and Anselm Eickhoff to murder my free time for the next four decades

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

I know nighttime in this game is new and cool, but can we please get daytime screenshots as well if you are trying to show off an intersection or some road spaghetti? It's hard to trace roads when you can't see them.

Braided ramps? Let's braid entire freeways! :unsmigghh:

It actually seems to work well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That looks gorgeous.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't played this in a long time, and I see they added tunnels. Holy poo poo does that ever solve a lot of problems. Time to reinstall.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fabulousity posted:

That is amazing, lovely chaotic organised mess!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chocobo posted:

I haven't played this in a long time, and I see they added tunnels. Holy poo poo does that ever solve a lot of problems. Time to reinstall.

No poo poo right? My cities are designed by moles now. So many bypasses.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

:stare:

It's like zone stacking in the original Simcity taken to it's terrible end. Zone borders? We won't need those where we're going...

Grabbed an existing radio tower asset off of the workshop that is pretty good looking but the author hasn't made it After Dark ready. So I took five minutes in the asset editor and strapped some red flood lights to it. The normal red warning strobes were just too dim to show up at any distance.

Those are amazing! Are they in the workshop? I can only find what I assume are the ones you started with: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416422897

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

greazeball posted:

Those are amazing! Are they in the workshop? I can only find what I assume are the ones you started with: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416422897

That's the one, he hasn't updated it and I don't wanna step on his balls by uploading a modded one. Adding the lights is easy enough and although I don't think the red flood lights are ideal they work well enough for screenshots.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Another roadgeek :swoon:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Now that I've finished Metal Gear (and After Dark is out), I've gotten back into the game and started making maps again.

I'm shocked that none of the map creation tools have been updated/improved since March. BetterImageOverlay hasn't been updated (or replaced). Generating an overlay image is far more painful than it has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

Not quite as pretty, but I think I've seen this before (near Chicago, of course).