Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We've had this argument before so I think I can end it pretty simply: Put different parts of your feet on the pegs at different times. The last time this came up someone called heel riders 'squids' so I posted up pics of the last 5 or 6 motogp champions with their heels on the pegs. The move their feet all around depending on where they are on the track, different straights and corners.

Hey look I found it with a bit of googling: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=496&perpage=40#post409636176

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

anyway, we all know the proper foot placement is sprawled out, dragging half an inch off the ground.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Also I tend to heel lock my outside leg and the inside peg has my foot farther up it, give it a try, you can really lock in the outside bottom half of your body from heel to knee to hip.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So how motogp am I when my legs get tired and I rest my feet on the top of my DRZ's radiator covers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Also I tend to heel lock my outside leg and the inside peg has my foot farther up it, give it a try, you can really lock in the outside bottom half of your body from heel to knee to hip.

I do this. Your mileage may vary depending on leg length, thigh fatness and bike/peg ergonomics.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I've tried to do my understanding of the heel lock on the outside leg, but my bloody boot slips because sole is narrow there or something, and my foot tries to twist off the peg. So I'm a balls of the feet person.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
when I put the balls on the pegs I can't shift up.

but it is correct placement for dirt riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

So how motogp am I when my legs get tired and I rest my feet on the top of my DRZ's radiator covers?

Exactly as motogp as I am when I do it. :smug:

Slavvy posted:

No you misread, you're the garbage idiot who rarely owns a bike he can turn over.

:golfclap: fantastic

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How can any heel riders lean enough while not dragging toe? Seems like a good way to break a foot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's almost as if your foot isn't actually glued to the peg and can be repositioned.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

We've had this argument before so I think I can end it pretty simply: Put different parts of your feet on the pegs at different times. The last time this came up someone called heel riders 'squids' so I posted up pics of the last 5 or 6 motogp champions with their heels on the pegs. The move their feet all around depending on where they are on the track, different straights and corners.

Hey look I found it with a bit of googling: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=496&perpage=40#post409636176

It's almost as if I'm not moving around on my bike like a monkey on pcp when riding on public roads (ie always)? I am also not a tiny Mediterranean on Assen going through duikersloot when I'm trying to get to my first cup of coffee of the day. Weird how that works.

I can put a disclaimer on everything I say if you want to though. *Not applicable to track situations. Consult your doctor.

edit:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There might be a bit of selection bias there on your part, because a lot of racers use their midstep, and almost every rider I see on the road does too. There's a reason most bike boots have a separate heel, and it's not (just) because it makes our legs look longer and our bums more toned.

True. There's bias in me only noticing the mid-steppery of those who make questionable moves in traffic of course. It's just that doing it continuously is weird to me, is all.

karms fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 2, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I think you've actually moved into motocross at that point:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

How can any heel riders lean enough while not dragging toe? Seems like a good way to break a foot.

What do you think toe sliders are for? Also I really can't think of any non-crash situation where it's possible for your foot to contact the ground with enough force to do more than make you think "Whoops", let alone break any part of your anatomy.

(It can even be advantageous, on my lovely old MZ I'd use my toe hitting the floor as my lean indicator because if the peg touched down it would lever the tyres off the road)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

No. 6 posted:

Some bikes are equipped with ground clearance :eng101:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Not mine :-/

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In most cases you'll be able to feel your toe touch the ground and it'll be alright, but in a few cases it'll catch on something and your foot will rotate 180 degrees faster than you can regret it. If you're really unlucky you get a spiral shin fracture in addition to your destroyed ankle.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
My years of riding clipped in on bicycles has transitioned to motorcycles. My balls are always on the pegs

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

My years of riding clipped in on bicycles has transitioned to motorcycles. My balls are always on the pegs

How do you sit so low?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

How do you sit so low?

He doesn't. :smuggo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Old man balls

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SA > AI > Cycle Asylum - Keep your balls on the pegs

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Looking at my options whether I repair the 675 or buy a new bike,
Am I crazy or does the CBR600 look like a turd these days? I think the 08 model for instance looked better

Then:

Now:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Front wheel nom nom nom!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

theperminator posted:

Am I crazy or does the CBR600 look like a turd these days? I think the 08 model for instance looked better

Then:

Now:

I definitely don't like the new one in red.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Then:

Now:

You're really not going to like going from the 675 to the 600RR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

theperminator posted:

Then:

Now:

Yup. They managed to make it both repulsively uglier and more cheap and plain looking.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Personally not a fan of the modern crop of superbikes looks wise, a few European exceptions aside.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Isn't the Blade up for a remodel soon? I wonder how bad that will look considering how bad they missed the mark with the 600RR

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I finally got a chance to ride a CB500X today and it's exactly what I've been looking for. It felt like the DRZ400SM, but smooth and comfortable. Didn't feel any heavier or harder to throw around, and the seating position is perfect for me. Scary quiet, though - good thing that can be fixed. :getin:

Going in this week to get it situated.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

You're really not going to like going from the 675 to the 600RR.

Yeah it looks like I'm going to either fix the daytona or buy another one. I'm too much of a little bitch for a bigger bike.
Third times a charm?

I'm having a hard time finding some of the parts I need, and when I do find them it seems that they're just as, if not more expensive than brand new parts :/

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Isn't the Blade up for a remodel soon? I wonder how bad that will look considering how bad they missed the mark with the 600RR

If the new CBR250rr is anything to go by, the new one will be on the loving crazy side of the spectrum.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

If the new CBR250rr is anything to go by, the new one will be on the loving crazy side of the spectrum.

Honda's 250s (and the 400s before them) have always been the black sheep of the family, I wouldn't put much store in what they're up to if you're looking for the direction the big bikes are going in. Honda seem to pendulum between making the 'Blade sort of racy and sort of comfy, and I think we'll start seeing it swing back towards comfy now. After all if you want a crazy inline-4 with reliability BMW have got that sown up and the CBR is already the mild one of the current litre segment, but the hyper-tourer market is looking a bit threadbare and there's definitely still a demand for "sports bike I can do a thousand miles a day on with only mild musculoskeletal trauma" in the market.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Yeah it looks like I'm going to either fix the daytona or buy another one. I'm too much of a little bitch for a bigger bike.
Third times a charm?

I'm having a hard time finding some of the parts I need, and when I do find them it seems that they're just as, if not more expensive than brand new parts :/

I'll never understand why these things hold their value (and part value) so well. :psyduck:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

theperminator posted:

Third times a charm?

Have you considered a street triple instead? Can I interest you in a pamphlet on our lord and savior, the handlebar?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll never understand why these things hold their value (and part value) so well. :psyduck:

Magazine reviews distort the market for a lot of bikes and the daytona is one of them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Magazine reviews distort the market for a lot of bikes and the daytona is one of them.

Don't get me wrong, it's the best 600 class bike far and away but...

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Have you considered a street triple instead? Can I interest you in a pamphlet on our lord and savior, the handlebar?

That's not a bad idea haha, I might as well give one a test ride and see.

I was thinking of just selling it and giving up on the triumphs, but I realized that I will end up buying a new Daytona/Street Triple if I don't fix this one so it may be worth the money.

I still have my F700GS which don't get me wrong, it's a good bike and has nice things like ABS and Traction Control (and if i'd been riding it that day I wouldn't have crashed), well built etc but is a boring lifeless thing to ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
May as well take what you have and stuff the STR top triple / bar on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Put the crash bags on the Ulysses and did some nerdventuring yesterday afternoon with a friend on his 1200 GS up in the north Cascades. Slabbed it from Edmonds to Darrington on I-5 and 530 past Oso and then headed down Mountain Loop Highway. Before Mtn Loop turned to gravel I turned us on to NF-23 and followed NF-27 up over Rat Trap Pass and down into the Straight Creek valley, had a snack and a pee and turned around because we were on the sun's schedule and weren't sure how far it went. Looking at gmaps, if we'd kept on downhill we would have connected back with 530 north of Darrington.

The approach to the pass is pretty steep, I'd estimate about a 15% grade. I'm fairly certain that roosting the last 500 feet up the pass on a 450 lb overwrought sport bike is a poor decision, but poor decisions make life worth living.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.170359,-121.4686583/48.2226429,-121.3905268/@48.1919939,-121.420945,7594m/data=!3m1!1e3

I am basically terrified of riding downhill in gravel. Managed to keep it mostly un-hairy on the way back, but the golf ball sized gravel coming down Rat Trap had the bike yawing around pretty good and I bottomed the fork on a big road-width pot hole near the bottom while I was overconfident and riding way too fast.

Weather was perfect, 70 at sea level and I think it was about 55 up at 5400' on Rat Trap with a nice cool wind off the snowpack on White Chuck Mountain. I don't think we'll have many more weekends like that until next spring. But if next weekend is OK we might try and get up over Stampede Pass.