Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Silver Falcon posted:

The 3D on the New 3DS is really game changing. It used to give me horrible eyestrain to have the 3D on for more than 10 mins. With the New, I can have the 3D on as much as I drat want. It's way more comfortable.

This. Also in stuff like MH4 it makes it easier to gauge distances for projectiles. The 3D in StarFox 64 is amazing, as well.

Probably the two games that have made the best use of it are ALBW and 3D Land, though... the 3D completely changes some areas in ALBW, particularly that rock mine on Death Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
The ports of 20+ year old Sega Super Scalar games legitimately make the best use of the 3D.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

3D owns and I have it on max all the time

Same, except for in Pokemon because the 3D in Pokemon sucks poo poo, but that's because the Pokemon company can't code for poo poo.

Another game that doesn't get enough credit for looking really good in 3D is re:revelations. They even let you crank the 3D up beyond what the slider does

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's just the og 3D but more stable. It's not really 'different'

i wear glasses. did they ever fix the thing where that hosed with it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I thought the 3D in MM was pretty bad, honestly. When it worked it was real nice, but more often than not it killed the framerate in a way that Ocarina 3D didn't so I stopped using it. You can test it yourself, go find a rock in Termina Field or something and blow it up with a bomb. There's a pretty obvious frame drop with 3D on that isn't there when it's off.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I read somewhere that the reason the Pokemon games perform like poo poo with the 3D on is that the Pokemon models used in battle scenes are actually really highly detailed so they'll hold up for a while. It takes a long time to model 700 creatures so they want to be able to reuse them for higher-definition games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playstation 1 emulation is now working on all 3DS models.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Awesome! posted:

i wear glasses. did they ever fix the thing where that hosed with it?

They did, it still gets jacked up momentarily under certain lighting conditions though. They've released a few updates that have genuinely improved things.

The difference in usability between the new and old 3DS is huge, for me it went from a borderline unusable gimmick to a completely tolerable gimmick.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

since i have no problems with the og 3d i am worried the new 3d will gently caress me up somehow
You can just turn off the stabilization and then it's the same as the old one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

You can just turn off the stabilization and then it's the same as the old one.

oh, cool. good job nintendo

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Sakurazuka posted:

It is now yes, the 3DS is 4 1/2 years old though.

The 4th gen iPod Touch is a year older and was cheaper than the launch 3DS. It also had a retina display. Looking at an 800x240 display in TYOOL 2015, halved to 400x240 with the 3D effect on, is like having Luigi skullfuck your eyesockets. There are tons of awesome 3DS games, but goddamn is it ugly.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Weighing in on the 3D issue, Yokai Watch was the first game that made me feel like I really enjoyed seeing it in 3D. The attack effects during the special attacks especially looked pretty nice. One thing Level 5 knows how to do well is make things look pretty (too bad their monster design is crap).

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

BGrifter posted:

The 4th gen iPod Touch is a year older and was cheaper than the launch 3DS. It also had a retina display. Looking at an 800x240 display in TYOOL 2015, halved to 400x240 with the 3D effect on, is like having Luigi skullfuck your eyesockets. There are tons of awesome 3DS games, but goddamn is it ugly.

You're going about it the wrong way, the low res makes it the most authentic way to play Shovel Knight!

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

So is anybody getting chibi robo next week?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

You're going about it the wrong way, the low res makes it the most authentic way to play Shovel Knight!

Shovel Knight is actually pretty drat great with 3D, too. Particularly the Trouple King's dances... they go from being cute to "holy poo poo." The attention to details with the 3D in it is great... they even upped the bar for Plague of Shadows.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Triforce Heroes trailer, with voice acting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiHmsK6lcw

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm thinking of picking up a New 3DS XL (or whatever it's called) soon, and I'd like to know if it's possible to transfer the NNID and all that stuff from my old 3DS to the new one without having to buy other equipment and/or sending it to Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, you can do it all on your own but you can only transfer locally with both systems present, so don't get rid of your old system until you have your new one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Her shrieks are painful, but drat that looks fun as hell.

Also 32 dungeons. :stare:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fuzz posted:

Her shrieks are painful,
i love them.

so many dungeons probably because there wont be much/any overworld im guessing

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Are they gonna make 3DS games for normies anymore or is it just fanservice stuff for weird people and expensive collectors editions of things to be hoarded and sold on ebay for big markup? Thoughts on this?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

African AIDS cum posted:

Are they gonna make 3DS games for normies anymore or is it just fanservice stuff for weird people and expensive collectors editions of things to be hoarded and sold on ebay for big markup? Thoughts on this?

normies play phone games now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Zelda is pretty normie

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Nintendo's still making games for it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

lets hang out posted:

normies play phone games now

I think you're right. This is disappointing.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

African AIDS cum posted:

Just fanservice. Throw it in the trash

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

African AIDS cum posted:

playing anything other than emulators on a 3ds and or picross is madness

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you think Nintendo games are for weirdos but own a Nintendo device that sounds like a personal problem.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Edit: wrong thread.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

African AIDS cum posted:

I think you're right. This is disappointing.

at least they're all free

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

Flynn Taggart posted:

So is anybody getting chibi robo next week?

I was thinking about getting the one with the amiibo shipped over to my house. However, I probably won't have a chance to really dig into it until the weekend if you wanted a review or something. Although, I hope it's long enough to really warrant a purchase. Like Triple Deluxe was really good, but it had all those extra modes and everything. In general, I've always liked the chibi robo series for its charm, but I'm not sure how much of that is going to be communicated in a straight forward platformer. Still, there's some trophies or something with various costumes it seems you can stick chibi robo into and I love platformers. Should be dense enough. I've never really had an issue with value with a nintendo game, but full priced platformers are a pretty hard sell to most people these days. (saying that is probably gonna get someone to remind me of something though)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Chibi robo isn't full price.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Well sure, the game is only 30 bucks, but nintendo sold kirby for 35 bucks. Although, now that you got me looking at the list, nintendo does price their weirder titles at 30. like PaD Mario, NES Remix (on 3ds), and Mario Golf. Maybe Mario 3d Land as well, can't tell if that was discounted down to 30 or not.

Could go either way I guess.

PBnJamo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 3, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was excited for the new Chibi-Robo game when it looked like it might be a cool Umihara Kawase-style swinging game but the more they show/talk about it the more it seems like it's a laid-back collectathon game that doesn't really demand much in terms of platforming/action.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The AU/NZ release of Yokai Watch got pushed forward to December 5, which usually wouldn't be worth mentioning if not for the fact that the EU release is still "2016", so PAL people will probably be able to be able to import the AU version if they really want to play it early.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

After not enjoying it as much on the WiiU, I re-purchased Shovel Knight on the 3DS, and I gotta say it is the superior experience. It feels so much more responsive and proper. The WiiU version always felt muddy to me, but this plays great!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

This is great. I had a good laugh! :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Folt The Bolt posted:

This is great. I had a good laugh! :allears:
Imagine the griefing potential with every hero getting only one dungeon item.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SelenicMartian posted:

Imagine the griefing potential with every hero getting only one dungeon item.

Yes. Much laughter will be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Abu Dave posted:

Playstation 1 emulation is now working on all 3DS models.

Link plz