Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

Yes, I think so. The shocks and fetches can only go up.

And they'll make your EDH Deck have a conversational piece.

Until you fetch it for the Breeding Pool to play Animar. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I will take back what I said about this standard being less expensive than others due to expeditions. This is probably going to be the most expensive standard ever. I weep for the average price of a deck for the next 6 months. 12 fetches and jace is almost every deck is going to be expensive as gently caress for t1.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

5 color Bring to Light doing its thing is this game (down to 3, then casts Languish, Siege Rhino, Siege Rhino, Siege Rhino) :staredog:

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
new standard season on scg is exciting. game one is 5-color bring to light vs r/g landfall.

rhinos rhinos rhinos gg.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Has anyone drafted Zendikar yet? Is it a good format, I'm considering going to a draft later.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Wake me when Siege Rhino.dec is off the camera.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GreyPowerVan posted:

Has anyone drafted Zendikar yet? Is it a good format, I'm considering going to a draft later.

Yeah it's fine. A lot of people seem to be over-drafting green because all of the sweet dinosaur creatures are in it.

Protip: get a hallowed or flooded strand and go for the UW fliers combo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Bring Two Rhinos

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's fine. A lot of people seem to be over-drafting green because all of the sweet dinosaur creatures are in it.

Protip: get a hallowed or flooded strand and go for the UW fliers combo.

How do the weird non-standard legal duals work in draft. Legal?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

One day SCG is going to make enough money to buy a polarising filter and not have solid blocks of white in the place of cards

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sickening posted:

I will take back what I said about this standard being less expensive than others due to expeditions. This is probably going to be the most expensive standard ever. I weep for the average price of a deck for the next 6 months. 12 fetches and jace is almost every deck is going to be expensive as gently caress for t1.

The UW or esper control deck I'd want to play will be $500 or so. I'd rather just put that money into modern, not that I'll spend that at all.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

In case anyone's interested, that WotC Extra Life stream I posted about before is starting soon on https://www.twitch.tv/magic with some BFZ 2HG sealed, so it probably won't have very many rhinos.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah dude just draft them and push those colors hard. Maybe or maybe not. Whatever. You paid for your draft.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

GreyPowerVan posted:

Any card you open in a limited pool is legal for you to play.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Any card you open in a limited pool is legal for you to play.

Right, I just didn't know if they were changing this for this set since they're doing so many new things recently. Thanks.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah that's correct.

Other people in here might be able to comment on which duel decks are most fun, but I'd recommend against the Zendikar vs. Eldrazi one. It's not a well balanced matchup and has a lot of one sided games.

If you're just playing with a friend you can buy whatever you want, but if you want to play in events at your LGS then buying standard-legal cards would be the safest bet. In that case the Magic Origins Clash Pack would be a good choice for you, since all its cards are standard legal and it comes with a lot of strong, valuable cards. It also comes with a guidebook that shows you how to combine the two decks into a single more powerful one that you could play in events with at your LGS. You could further combine it with the Battle for Zendikar Event Deck, which is also a good deal.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

That did just change actually. The Hidden Treasures from original Zendikar weren't legal in that limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Booyah- posted:

5 color Bring to Light doing its thing is this game (down to 3, then casts Languish, Siege Rhino, Siege Rhino, Siege Rhino) :staredog:

I'm pretty sure the landfall deck is terrible.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Can people please start playing Infinite Obliteration for Siege Rhino (or Ulamog, or Atarka, or whatever the biggest threat is) I know card advantage is a thing but I also think respecting topdecks and the bullshit creatures your opponents have in their decks is a thing now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lets Pickle posted:

Can people please start playing Infinite Obliteration for Siege Rhino (or Ulamog, or Atarka, or whatever the biggest threat is) I know card advantage is a thing but I also think respecting topdecks and the bullshit creatures your opponents have in their decks is a thing now.

No. Obliteration is bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure the landfall deck is terrible.

Bingo. Explosive hands that are too easy to disrupt and sweepers just neuter the deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well I never thought I'd see five color decks viable in Standard again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

An article by an economist who moderates a magic forum in their spare time, talking about prices and such. I thought it was a pretty good read, if you care about (or hate!) secondary market prices.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Playing with full art lands ain't even cool anymore.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

But my foil unhinged basics :qq:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

catacomb sifter is a good card.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Shortest Path posted:

An article by an economist who moderates a magic forum in their spare time, talking about prices and such. I thought it was a pretty good read, if you care about (or hate!) secondary market prices.

Thanks. I just skimmed over it for now but will read it fully later. The funny thing here are the cardboard tycoons and Pucatraders in the comments section. Kinda wish he included log graphs in there cuz that's what we use in any conversation wrt growth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Then they just play other threatening cards and you took a turn off to pitch a card from your hand.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A pretty interesting read, I think I pretty much agree with the conclusion. 150$ Tarmogoyfs is a market failure, and the Reserve List is an artifact from a different (worse) time that is harming the game now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Then they just play other threatening cards and you took a turn off to pitch a card from your hand.

I feel there is a small sideboard slot for obliteration in this standard but that is only against decks with 4x den protectors and 4x deathmists being prevalent. If you are casting obliteration in hopes of taking a card out of the hand or making top decks worse then you aren't getting much value.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

A good article but I think the author really needs to consider that for gameplay (power creep) and sales reasons it is in WOTC self interest to maintain an environment where formats like modern are inaccessible to most players and standard/limited remain the formats of choice for the majority of players.

Thats another driving force of the very hosed secondary market IMO.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Opened a pile for release sealed today, just couldn't make something consistent. So I dropped and opened my fat pack.

Sigh.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grats on the $100 bill.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I'm no longer sure that I chiefly want poo poo reprinted so that people can play affordably, though obviously this would still be great. Rather, I'm increasingly feeling as though the primary benefit of such an undertaking would be the outcome of someone (or rather, someone's lawyers) getting up in front of a United States judge and :qq:ing about how Wizards caused them to believe that $250 pieces of wizard cardboard was a correct and perpetually reliable state of affairs.

Even if the judge was legally compelled to agree with them, it would still be a shining, golden moment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Esper player just punted so hard on camera it hurts. Not only does he miss lethal by not using sorin correctly, he concedes a game he is still winning. Rip.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This Nathan guy is playing very poorly. He missed a game winning attack by plussing Sorin before activating his manlands, then conceded out of frustration even though we wasn't dead.

He also forgot to activate Sorin on a previous turn, so he could have had one more creature token.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Sickening posted:

Esper player just punted so hard on camera it hurts. Not only does he miss lethal by not using sorin correctly, he concedes a game he is still winning. Rip.

How does that not work? Sorins +1 is creatures get +1/0 until end of turn. So that effect lasts until the end of turn.

How does turning manlands into creatures not benefit since they should benefit from the static effect? Or did something else happen (Not Watching)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

How does that not work? Sorins +1 is creatures get +1/0 until end of turn. So that effect lasts until the end of turn.

How does turning manlands into creatures not benefit since they should benefit from the static effect? Or did something else happen (Not Watching)

The creatures weren't present when the ability was used. Creatures coming into play after the ability is used don't get 1+ 0 .

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

9/20/2014: Only creatures you control as the first ability resolves will get the bonuses. Creatures you come to control after that happens will not.

It's like casting Trumpet Blast or a similar effect - it looks for your creatures, gives them the bonus, then ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

He also missed a draw step because he activated jace on end of turn and simply forgot.

• Locked thread