Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

why is a crime committed by a juvenile being treated as terrorism instead of a mental health and gun control problem its so dumb

e: gently caress my keyboard

Because there's nothing to be gained from treating it as mental health/societal and everything to be gained by treating it as terrorism (well, unless you consider prevention of recurrence a gain, in which case you're dumb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I don't have the slightest reservations about abortion whatsoever. I am perfectly fine with late term abortion purely at the mother's discretion.

How late?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

How old is turnbull?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

In the case of certain politicians, after birth.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

Seems to me that asking about peoples upbringing and how it informs their beliefs is trying to understand where they're coming from. You're just restating their belief as if it answers the question.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Unless memento was actually ignorant of the prolife motivation behind the murder of doctors, in which case please ignore the preceding post.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The pro-life side of the argument actually has it right. We need to be a society that celebrates the creation of life.

There are many good arguments against a blanket ban on abortions, but these all relate to either medical or social problems that we haven't yet solved.

Abortions work, but only for now, and the ultimate aim for society should be to welcome life wherever it comes from.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

asio posted:

Abortions work, but only for now, and the ultimate aim for society should be to welcome life wherever it comes from.

*slowly begins to bubble his abominous form from the reeking puddle of noxious ooze that was his mother and vomits a befouled tentacle towards you

Frieeeeeeend?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

asio posted:

The pro-life side of the argument actually has it right. We need to be a society that celebrates the creation of life.

There are many good arguments against a blanket ban on abortions, but these all relate to either medical or social problems that we haven't yet solved.

oh okay

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Sure we can respect a woman's agency over her own body for now, but it should only be a stop gap solution

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Guys, the bombing is working

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/article/unspeakable-msf-nurse-recounts-attack-msfs-kunduz-hospital

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Please get on our Islamophobia level, Ausfailures.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Deradicalisation at it's finest.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Their motives may be suspect I'm not reading anything there I hope they're unsuccessful with. They could be doing it because the reanimated corpse of a virgin they just sacrificed to their demon-God told them to, I'd still be cool with it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I don't get it. While it is a tad dog whistle-y there are some genuinely good things promoted, and money being provided to a bunch of worthy causes.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BARBARIC CULTURAL PRACTICES :getin:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

asio posted:

Tell that to a woman who got raped and is pregnant with her rapists kid.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

Tell that to your mother.

fixed?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tithin posted:

Tell that to a woman who got raped and is pregnant with her rapists kid.

I guess 'crime' is one of those social problems that we haven't yet solved.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

BARBARIC CULTURAL PRACTICES :getin:

Granted, they're dog whistling, but FGM is totally hosed up and needs to be stopped.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sometimes lovely people stumble into doing something good. Sometimes lovely people aren't completely lovely people and still want to do good despite their reasons being misguided. If they were using it as a cover to secretly sterilize Muslims that'd be hosed up but unless there's a lot of fine print there I missed they just want to prevent some poo poo I think we can all agree is heinous and get some racist votes along the way.

Speaking of racist votes have the police released any information about why they raided the mosque in connection with the murder yesterday?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I suggest looking up #barbaricculturalpractices on twitter, it's getting exactly the kind of reaction it deserves.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
FGM is A Thing but it's not A Muslim Thing. It's generally a certain-lovely-parts-of-Africa thing and is done by Christian communities etc as much as Muslim communities. They're using a lot of dogwhistle stuff though (BARBARIC CULTURAL PRACTICES) so it's obvious what they are actually angling for, despite their stated goals being (for the main part) not too outwardly objectionable.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

FGM is A Thing but it's not A Muslim Thing. It's generally a certain-lovely-parts-of-Africa thing and is done by Christian communities etc as much as Muslim communities. They're using a lot of dogwhistle stuff though (BARBARIC CULTURAL PRACTICES) so it's obvious what they are actually angling for, despite their stated goals being (for the main part) not too outwardly objectionable.

I agree to an extent, except when it comes to Southeast Asia--FGM affects 90-odd percent of muslim women in Indonesia and Malaysia (with it at 85% and 57% among the general female population in those countries respectively), so it is basically a religious practice in those countries. It's more of a cultural practice in Africa, but it certainly spread along with the spread of Islam into other parts of the world.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I'm not the only one extremely uncomfortable with the fact that the media seem to be 100% ok with an adult policeman gunning down a 15 year old ostensibly because that's the only 'safe' way they have of stopping someone with a gun, right?

Also this:
"“We believe that his actions were politically motivated and therefore linked to terrorism,” Scipione told reporters in Sydney on Saturday." From http://gu.com/p/4dxg7/sbl

A loving fifteen year old?? It beggars belief that a kid could be reasonably expected to have any kind of credible opinion about his own rear end let alone politics. Surely.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nyerf posted:

I'm not the only one extremely uncomfortable with the fact that the media seem to be 100% ok with an adult policeman gunning down a 15 year old ostensibly because that's the only 'safe' way they have of stopping someone with a gun, right?

What other method would you suggest for dealing with someone armed with a deadly weapon who has already used it to kill someone, please?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah I can't really criticise the reaction of the police in this situation, they didn't realistically appear to have much in the way of choices, unfortunately.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nyerf posted:

Also this:
"“We believe that his actions were politically motivated and therefore linked to terrorism,” Scipione told reporters in Sydney on Saturday." From http://gu.com/p/4dxg7/sbl

A loving fifteen year old?? It beggars belief that a kid could be reasonably expected to have any kind of credible opinion about his own rear end let alone politics. Surely.

Think of the kid as the weapon rather than the wielder. The kid was just a kid. The people that put him up to it are the terrorists. If you know the details of the the shooting please post them because without them we have no way of knowing whether it was a case of trigger happy police or not. If the kid was shooting at the cops at the time then yes, shooting him back is the only safe way to end the situation. You can't get close enough to taze someone when they're shooting at you. You can't get close enough to pepper spray them and as far as I know NSW police are not equipped with that cool non-lethal foam. If the Police could have reasonable brought him in alive they would have.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Here's what I found on the ABC:

quote:

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the lone gunman, who is yet to be identified, shot the police employee at close range as he was leaving the building around 4:30pm on Friday.

The offender then fired several more shots at officers as they emerged from the building to respond to the incident.

The gunman was killed when the officers, who are special constables, returned fire.

In an unprepared scenario where someone armed with a gun has already indicated they are willing to use lethal force and has shot at you, literally the only safe option you have is shooting back and when you shoot at someone you shoot to kill. Some people get romantic notions that the police should "shoot to wound", ignoring the fact that a) guns are deadly weapons, shooting someone in what is meant to be a "non-lethal" way can often lead to death regardless, b) said "non-lethal" methods of shooting are more difficult than shooting centre-of-mass, increasing the chance that the shot will miss and hit an unintended target and c) even if you hit him non-lethally there's no guarantee you've stopped the gunman. Great, you shot him in the leg, oops he's just dropped to the ground and is still shooting at you, now you have to shoot to kill anyway.

It's a tragedy that this event has happened and it's a tragedy that all the usual fuckheads are going to crawl out of the woodwork and talk about how Muslims can't be trusted etc. and continue the cycle of marginalising Islam in our society, contributing to the radicalisation that leads to incidents like these, and I'm definitely no apologist for everything cops do, but in the circumstances the police made the best of a bad situation and they're definitely not at fault here.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I don't disagree. Obviously there was no winning for any side in this scenario, all said and done, least until more details emerge. I'm not saying there should have been some kind of hostage negotiator magic movie rescue scenario.

I just have the sinking feeling that the patina of 'politically-motivated TERRORISM' could potentially be used to whitewash this and any other further scenarios that conceivably could contain elements of police negligence to completely justify the use of any force. As in, just because a brown Muslim was involved, child or not, noone is going to ask the difficult questions or ask about the finer details, everything's fair game, South Park-esque blow away anything that looks threatening it'll be a-OK. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

No I think it's because he walked up and shot an unarmed man in the head 10 seconds beforehand, not because he was a brown Muslim

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I feel like the time to start getting concerned about police misuse of deadly force against Muslims is after a situation where it is not clear that they did not misuse deadly force. :shrug:

e: I appreciate your concern but there's no point worrying about a hypothetical situation in which the context was entirely different, or else you'll find yourself spiralling into a million different possibilities all of which end with the same verdict: :itwaspoo:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People are asking whether this is one of the weekly national security reportables right?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

starkebn posted:

People are asking whether this is one of the weekly national security reportables right?

New PM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Scott Morrison encourages states to let private sector run schools and hospitals

The finance minister, Mathias Cormann, says the idea would include providers competing with each other to deliver better health services

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As with the Lindt siege speculation is both unworthy and ultimately disrespectful to the people involved.

http://www.lindtinquest.justice.nsw.gov.au/

Hard to draw conclusions about even that yet because, unfortunately it is still ongoing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-26/experts-divided-over-sydney-siege-as-terrorism-or-mental-illness/6726772

quote:

Sydney siege inquest: Experts divided on whether Lindt Cafe attack was terrorism or result of mental illness By Jessica Kidd Updated 26 Aug 2015, 4:35pm

Key points:

Three experts agreed Monis's mental state played significant role in attack
Professor Clarke Jones said Monis acted out of need to belong; Professor Greg Barton said the attack was an act of terrorism
Professor Rodger Shanahan said siege had more to do with mental health than terrorism
"I wonder if they had accepted his membership, whether we would be here today," he told the inquest.

Experts are split on whether Sydney siege gunman Man Haron Monis was a terrorist or whether he was acting as a result of mental illness, an inquest has heard. Three terrorism experts have given evidence at the inquest into the Lindt cafe siege and all agreed that Monis's mental state played a significant role in his decision to attack in December 2014.

Professor Clarke Jones from the Australian National University told the inquest he believed Monis was acting out of a need to belong and had demonstrated this desire when he tried to join the Rebels bikie gang in the months before the siege. Professor Jones said that may be why Monis claimed he was attacking Australia on behalf of the so-called Islamic State. "I think he saw Islamic State as the one organisation that might accept him," he said. Islamic extremism and counter-terrorism expert Professor Greg Barton told the inquest he believed the siege was an act of terrorism but he said that, compared with other lone-wolf terrorists, Monis was unusual. "Even in the context of lone-wolf attacks, this one was an outlier," he said. But Professor Barton said that when compared with other lone-wolf terrorists, such as Norwegian gunman Anders Breivik or the American Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, Monis was not "consistent in articulating a manifest or position".

I think the state of his mental health was relevant to the siege he carried out and I'm of the opinion it was not a terrorist act. - National security expert Professor Rodger Shanahan

Professor Barton conceded that Monis was suffering from mental health issues and was the kind of person Islamic State sought to exploit. "It goes after anyone who can join, it goes after damaged goods," he told the inquest. I think we should expect more unstable, complex individuals to emerge."

National security expert Professor Rodger Shanahan backed the theory that the siege had more to do with mental health than terrorism. Professor Shanahan told the inquest that Monis would have been under considerable stress in the days before the siege when he lost a High Court application for leave to challenge his conviction for sending offensive letters to the families of dead Australian soldiers. Professor Shanahan said that loss, combined with Monis's schizophrenia and the fact he was facing criminal charges of sexual assault and being an accessory to murder, would have "piled up" on him. "I think the state of his mental health was relevant to the siege he carried out and I'm of the opinion it was not a terrorist act," he told the inquest. "It's a great deal of stress on someone who has a violent past."

Identities of prosecutors to remain secret

Meanwhile the identities of two public prosecutors, who unsuccessfully tried to keep Monis behind bars, will remain secret after journalists lost their bid to overturn a non-publication order.

A number of media organisations, including ABC News, challenged a non-publication order banning the identification of two solicitors who handled Monis's criminal case on behalf of the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). One solicitor, who has already given evidence at the inquest into the Sydney siege, unsuccessfully opposed bail for Monis on a charge of being an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife in December 2013. The second solicitor, who is expected to give evidence at the inquest on Thursday, advised against opposing bail when Monis appeared in court on 40 sexual assault charges just two months before last year's siege. Counsel acting on behalf of the media, Daoud Subtain, argued it was in the public interest to publish the names of the two men. "The media are the eyes and ears of the public," he told the inquest. "They are entitled to report on what occurs."

Counsel assisting the inquest, Jeremy Gormly, supported the argument that it was in the public interest to lift the non-publication order. "It cannot ever be that mere embarrassment or mere pain arising from being involved in public proceedings is a factor in the public interest," he said. But counsel for the DPP, David Buchanan, told the inquest the release of the prosecutor's names could undermine public confidence in their office. "The efficient functioning of the office and the administration of justice in the region is best served if people ... have confidence in the office and its duty to perform its functions," he said. The inquest also heard that the welfare of the two prosecutors could suffer if their names were released, and that could discourage other witnesses from cooperating fully with the inquest. State coroner Michael Barnes dismissed the challenge and ruled to keep the men's identities a secret.

The inquest continues.

If Farhad Jabar Khali Mohammad was a terrorist then it shows just how close to the bottom of the barrel IS are. They were quick to claim credit for similar pointless killings in Bangladesh.

Clearly I know gently caress all about his connections with the 'Death Cult' but they are not particularly apparent yet and certainly haven't been established in Monis' case. I worry that the definition of terrorist just took a considerable turn for the ugly* and will be marking the cards of any supposed jounalist or politician who runs with it. They don't know.

* Broad to the point of the ridiculous.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-02/teenager-jailed-for-at-least-five-years-over-anzac-day-plot/6824752

But these days over reaction is pretty much a norm.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-20/melbourne-counterterrorism-raids-plot-to-kill-police-officer/6407586

I haven't seen all the evidence but really, "The boy was only 14 when he masterminded the plot, to carry out a suicide attack on police officers at the parade, from his bedroom in northern England." If only he had had more land :rolleyes:

Lid posted:

Scott Morrison encourages states to let private sector run schools and hospitals

The finance minister, Mathias Cormann, says the idea would include providers competing with each other to deliver better health services

Show me where the rigourous studies backing this are ScoMo and or Cormann. What you can't? Well there you go. :fuckoff:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If Tone was still prime minister we would be bombing paramatta by now.

Also where is the NRL thread?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Lid posted:

It worked with telecommunications, right?

...right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Look how the free(laptop) market fixed vocational education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If Tone was still prime minister we would be bombing paramatta by now.

Also where is the NRL thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3693716

• Locked thread