Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Imagine if Barack Obama said "Stuff happens" during Benghazi, Sandy Hook, ISIS, etc. It doesn't matter the context of his message because the message is "Rushing to legislative decisions is bad".

He said we "tortured some folks", and even though no one disputes the accuracy of that statement he still got called out for some dismissive and callous for using "some folks". People don't like it when you downplay mass shooting or grievous human rights violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

well first off, mass shootings are an actual problem bigger than Benghazi, second off, hillary's quote wasn't exactly a good thing to say either

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Hillary said. At all. It wasn't even poorly phrased.

It's like everyone is a loving idiot who can't comprehend language or human communication beyond the actual literal words completely divorced from all other context.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Ok so this is that point where you take a while for self reflection and re-evaluating your dumb opinions rather than trying some lame callout of every other person.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Hillary said. At all. It wasn't even poorly phrased.

The whole point was to badger her until she broke & gave them something they could use out of context to smear her and they succeeded. In Jeb!'s case it was what should have been an effortless play for any competent politician: reacting to a tragedy.Just show a little empathy & compassion for the victims & move on. Boilerplate. Instead, "well gee hurf durf stuff happens, what can ya do (don't wanna piss off the base by being too human)".

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm not going to do any particular links, but the thread's old friend Chucky C. is trying to convince the Internet the Oregon shooter is a Muslim. Between that and the Christian thing (have the police confirmed that? All the articles I can find are still hedging.) this is going to have legs for weeks. Or until the next one I guess.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That woman's son was crippled and later died because she left him completely unsupervised at a loving house party and she worked through her guilt by deciding that the real problem was that the person throwing the party didn't have a fence around the pool and not her being a poo poo parent who was probably drinking and conversing with other adults oblivious to where her 5 year old was.

You don't think backyard pools should be fenced? :psyduck:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

VitalSigns posted:

They aren't?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Peztopiary posted:

I'm not going to do any particular links, but the thread's old friend Chucky C. is trying to convince the Internet the Oregon shooter is a Muslim. Between that and the Christian thing (have the police confirmed that? All the articles I can find are still hedging.) this is going to have legs for weeks. Or until the next one I guess.

The Christian thing seems to be confirmed. I've seen multiple news sources saying it and the police found a multi page manifesto at the scene that makes mention of hatred for religion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/oregon-shooting-umpqua-chris-harper-mercer.html

quote:

The gunman, who has been identified as Christopher Harper-Mercer, 26, “seems to be someone who was very anti-organized religion,” the official said, adding, “it does not appear like he was part of some larger group.”

Of course that also peg hims are very clearly not a Muslim.

However it does look like he was an "incel" like Elliot Rodger. Either the note or his other writings online talk about beta and alpha males. Obviously all that is unconfirmed now too, but it at least makes sense unlike the muslim thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm still seeing the "IT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A GUN FREE ZONE" meme on low-information sites like Reddit and Imgur. Has this blatant lie not died yet or has something new come out?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I don't really know what this means to you. I live in in a city where all backyards are fenced, and we still have laws that require separate safety fences around pools distinct from yard walls/fence or door alarms on backyard doors.

I've also lived in a city where it was uncommon for backyards to have barriers between property lots, which in that case yeah they probably should have required fences.

I don't know which Florida is like, but either way what happened to the woman's son was a result of parental negligence.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hazo posted:

I'm still seeing the "IT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A GUN FREE ZONE" meme on low-information sites like Reddit and Imgur. Has this blatant lie not died yet or has something new come out?

Its such a common talking point these days that all the image macros have already been made. The same ones just get reposed every time there is a mass shooting that gets media attention. People see 50 posts on reddit or twitter bitching about gun free zones and just assume its the case this time too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RareAcumen posted:

THE UN WANTS TO CENSOR THE ENTIRE INTERNET TO SAVE FEMINISTS’ FEELINGS -breitbart.com

Can you guess the story? I'll give the key words here.

Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, Milo Yiannopoulos
Much like his other articles, Milo is basically rephrasing stuff from other people, in this case Popehat who already did the takedown on the most hilarious portions of the UN report.

https://popehat.com/2015/09/28/revisiting-the-un-broadband-commissions-cyberviolence-report/

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Milo @ Breitbart

THESE SHOOTINGS ARE BECAUSE OF :biotruths:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/how-to-stop-mass-shootings/

I dunno, as a straight white male the media has yet to inspire me to go on a killing spree. Neither has Catcher in the Rye.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Doesn't Breitbart post a bunch of gamergate poo poo, and this guy was basically into that whole woman hating culture? Guess we know who inspired him.
Milo posts a bunch of gamergate poo poo because he's explicitly pandering to that crowd, see:
...And Breitbart is content to let him.

We don't know if this latest school shooter was posting on reddit's redpill or returnofkings or the chans for sure, let's not jump to rumor mongering and conclusions. It's just some of the stuff we are pretty sure he wrote sounds like it (alpha/beta males), that's all.

Armani posted:

Cardboard Box C had an amazing breakdown of how a lot of conservative groups like this deliberately reach out to Reddit and 4/8channers as a source of guaranteed rumor milling and trolling.
It depends on what you mean by "a lot of conservative groups" but for the purposes of this discussion it should be made clear that Milo is pandering hard to the gamergate and channer crowd, and in doing so he'll use his platform as a Breitbart contributor to post takedown/hitpieces on gamergate/channer targets (sometimes goons) who are unknown outside this small corner of the twitterverse and absolutely of no actual interest or concern to conservatives or the right wing in general. This is also why he's writing about how Anita and Zoe at GoogleIdeas and the UN are behind this LATEST PLAN TO CENSOR THE WEB - because gamergaters on twitter and 8chan and reddit are (predictably) real mad about it... including a former SA mod you may have heard of.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box A posted:

Much like his other articles, Milo is basically rephrasing stuff from other people, in this case Popehat who already did the takedown on the most hilarious portions of the UN report.

https://popehat.com/2015/09/28/revisiting-the-un-broadband-commissions-cyberviolence-report/
Huh, and I thought Jack Thompson was cool with gamergaters now.

Edit: although I suppose he's only namedropped in the article and wasn't involved with this report.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Armani posted:

Cardboard Box C had an amazing breakdown of how a lot of conservative groups like this deliberately reach out to Reddit and 4/8channers as a source of guaranteed rumor milling and trolling.

Cardboard Box C? I'd like to see that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Milo posts a bunch of gamergate poo poo because he's explicitly pandering to that crowd, see:

We don't know if this latest school shooter was posting on reddit's redpill or returnofkings or the chans for sure, let's not jump to rumor mongering and conclusions. It's just some of the stuff we are pretty sure he wrote sounds like it (alpha/beta males), that's all.

It depends on what you mean by "a lot of conservative groups" but for the purposes of this discussion it should be made clear that Milo is pandering hard to the gamergate and channer crowd, and in doing so he'll use his platform as a Breitbart contributor to post takedown/hitpieces on gamergate/channer targets (sometimes goons) who are unknown outside this small corner of the twitterverse and absolutely of no actual interest or concern to conservatives or the right wing in general. This is also why he's writing about how Anita and Zoe at GoogleIdeas and the UN are behind this LATEST PLAN TO CENSOR THE WEB - because gamergaters on twitter and 8chan and reddit are (predictably) real mad about it... including a former SA mod you may have heard of.

He was a channer because the mongoloids were egging him on. Also gamergaters are retards and mostly reactionary scum if they seek out coverage on Breitbart.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Milo Breitbart articles

SORRY, GIRLS! BUT THE SMARTEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ARE ALL MEN

SEXBOTS: WHY WOMEN SHOULD PANIC

MY GRINDR PROFILE SAYS ‘NO WHITES’—AM I RACIST?

I’M WORRIED NOT ENOUGH TEENAGERS ARE SELF-HARMING

GAY RIGHTS HAVE MADE US DUMBER, IT’S TIME TO GET BACK IN THE CLOSET

GAYS! IF YOU WANT TO START GIVING BLOOD, STOP BEING SLUTS

SORRY TO BE RUDE, BUT MALALA YOUSAFZAI IS BECOMING A BIT OF A BORE

And then this

THE LOST FRANCHISE: WHY DIGIMON DESERVES A GLORIOUS RENAISSANCE

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Milo Breitbart articles

THE LOST FRANCHISE: WHY DIGIMON DESERVES A GLORIOUS RENAISSANCE

Boy that is some top tier pandering to /v/ game hipsters if I ever saw it. I guess you've gotta do the soft sell of Digimon before the hard sell of supply-side economics. No need to sell them on misogyny and racism at least.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there any Republican politician who hasn't repeatedly insisted that gun control legislation would be an overreaction to mass shooting tragedies? Why is this "stuff happens" sound bite considered remotely newsworthy? If anything it seems like a relatively articulate argument, for a conservative.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After 9/11 we should have accepted that poo poo happens instead of passing the PATRIOT Act.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Right on cue, the idiot doubles down. Maybe you would do better as an (unpaid) intern on Jeb!'s campaign?
Ok, you got that right - but did you know he'd triple/quadruple/quintuple down? I did. :smug:

For pete's sake, as another poster mentioned - the fact that a reporter actually stopped and asked Jeb if he'd like a do-over should give some loving indication how much of an idiotic statement it was. The press literally asked for more context, and we still get "He was taken out of context!" defenses. loving hell.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Armani posted:

I would also like to see this if the thread still exists. While it's obvious to see that the right wing media are connected to them in some way, the exact mechanics of how are unclear to me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Man Can’t Believe Obama Would Use Tragedy To Push Anti-Tragedy Agenda

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

After 9/11 we should have accepted that poo poo happens instead of passing the PATRIOT Act.

Maybe not the best example...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I read it more as "bad things happen and our first impulse is to leap into action to do something that feels like it might prevent bad things in the future but often these actions don't actually prevent bad things at all and sometimes lead to other, different bad things."

Okay and even giving him the benefit of the doubt it's not like this was the first ever mass shooting, no one's rushing into poo poo, people have been calling for gun reform for ages and this is just the latest incident. It's disingenuous as hell to be like "hold on its only been a few days, let's not rush here!". It's been decades unless you overlook the countless previous victims.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For a moment there I was beginning to think about having a glimmer of respect for media organizations not making GBS threads the guy's name everywhere and giving him the validation he, and all the other copycats, wanted. Glad that's over though, the universe is as it has always been. Media talking heads are soulless husks concerned with nothing but their paychecks and the management behind them would rather have a ten second sound bite to maintain their agenda than contribute anything positive to society.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Minenfeld! posted:

As someone who lives one town over from Newtown and whose social circle includes family members of victims, gently caress these people.

I've even seen this poo poo pop up locally and it makes me irrationally angry.

I'd say your anger is quite rational.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

On BBC news they say an online profile of his states his politics as "conservative, Republican".

Are we going to get any word on this from the usual bloviators? No? Shocking.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Maybe not the best example...

Government can't do anything right!

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Warcabbit posted:

Cardboard Box C? I'd like to see that.

Morroque posted:

I would also like to see this if the thread still exists. While it's obvious to see that the right wing media are connected to them in some way, the exact mechanics of how are unclear to me.

Aw, hell - I meant this guy, CARDBOARD BOX A. C grade has been denoted to Imp Zone:

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is nuts and I love/hate the Internet.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Hay guys, did you know shutting down the gov't is a normal & necessary part of the democratic process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEpUZFFr2UU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's really bizarre and surreal to see Milo's, Crowder's, and Mcinnes' being this openly sexist and expousing views that we've disproven since about...what...the 1970's or so?

Like I thought modern society had kind of settled on basic things like the right for women to pursue careers if they so desire or "boy's only" type of poo poo was lame. I could understand why people would be against women's reproductive health due to their (idiotic) religious convictions, but I thought we had all settled on a basic thing in that regard.

For me personally? I just don't see why this would even remotely be a big deal. i've never felt like my masculinity has ever been threatened by any women doing anything.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

Government can't do anything right!

There's a mental image that's just come to me of Obama declaring a war on guns and ordering cruise missile strikes on Connecticut, though.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's really bizarre and surreal to see Milo's, Crowder's, and Mcinnes' being this openly sexist and expousing views that we've disproven since about...what...the 1970's or so?

Like I thought modern society had kind of settled on basic things like the right for women to pursue careers if they so desire or "boy's only" type of poo poo was lame. I could understand why people would be against women's reproductive health due to their (idiotic) religious convictions, but I thought we had all settled on a basic thing in that regard.

For me personally? I just don't see why this would even remotely be a big deal. i've never felt like my masculinity has ever been threatened by any women doing anything.

It is really kind of weird how these "disenfranchised" youth immediately start honing in on ancient bigotries and supports for misogyny. At least they're not joining ISIS I guess?

If there's one thing that the whole Gamergate ""scandal"" was good for though, it was creating a definite label for the worthless angry idiots who base their identity on gaming. It's not just "oh all gamers are shitheads and misogynists" anymore, you can just say "Oh they're a gamergater" and everyone knows exactly the type of trash they're dealing with without having to generalize.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 3, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Okay and even giving him the benefit of the doubt it's not like this was the first ever mass shooting, no one's rushing into poo poo, people have been calling for gun reform for ages and this is just the latest incident. It's disingenuous as hell to be like "hold on its only been a few days, let's not rush here!". It's been decades unless you overlook the countless previous victims.

Yeah but I mean at that point, in that context, it's just him saying he disagrees that gun control is a solution which isn't a new thing either yet there's plenty of fresh outrage about it. Like people are acting shocked and appalled that a Republican came out against gun control just because he phrases it in in a slightly dumber way than they're used to. It's just a silly line of attack.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

MrUnderbridge posted:

On BBC news they say an online profile of his states his politics as "conservative, Republican".

Are we going to get any word on this from the usual bloviators? No? Shocking.

He posted that to make conservative Republicans look bad! That's what those liebruls do! :bahgawd:

Alternate: Taqiyya! :jihad:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Like people are acting shocked and appalled that a Republican came out against gun control just because he phrases it in in a slightly dumber way than they're used to.

If you can't see how insensitive his remark was given the recent shooting then there's something fundamentally wrong with the way you perceive things. Also giving Bush a pass because other Republicans have said similiarly dumb things in the past isn't a thing.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Yeah but I mean at that point, in that context, it's just him saying he disagrees that gun control is a solution which isn't a new thing either yet there's plenty of fresh outrage about it. Like people are acting shocked and appalled that a Republican came out against gun control just because he phrases it in in a slightly dumber way than they're used to. It's just a silly line of attack.
Just loving stop will you

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thats what i find funny.sure there is a some dumb poo poo in the UN report(mostly bad sources on some stuff and realy awful citation), but these people thinking that the UN is going to suddenly censor the internet is retarded and so is milo and the rest of his ilk.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

beatlegs posted:

If you can't see how insensitive his remark was given the recent shooting then there's something fundamentally wrong with the way you perceive things. Also giving Bush a pass because other Republicans have said similiarly dumb things in the past isn't a thing.

What Bush said was disgusting and heinous and expected and completely in line with moderate Republican discourse, in no way newsworthy. If you think there's any contradiction there, then welcome to your first day in the Right Wing Media thread, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Just loving stop will you

Yeah I guess. I'm just annoyed people bitch about conservatives doing this same loving poo poo and run themselves in circles about how no this is totally different when it isn't. It's just pointless pedantry to score points on the other team and feel smug. Enjoy the circlejerk.