Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yamete Kudasai Mabushii Desu apparently has a second volume?!
Investigating a bit, looks like it's just 2 chapters though.

This character chart wasn't in the chapter I don't think but it tells who the long haired guy is because he seemed to kinda come out of nowhere. I went back through the other chapters and think he was also possibly the other guy in the group with Koga in the first chapter but maybe not, the hairstyle was just similar.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 2, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

furiouskoala posted:

I know this isn't a recommendation thread, but you guys are the experts on the genre. I recently began watching Utena, and as I near the end of it I am wondering what an anime is that is similar to Utena? What I like about it is it's heavy use of metaphor, queer themes, and art direction, as well as the music. What is another anime that will give me the Utena feel? I have already queued up Yurikuma. I enjoyed Sailor Moon, although it was a little more shallow than Utena. Other favorites are Evangelion, Madouka, and Rahxephon. Any recs will be greatly appreciated.

Abort Yurikuma, watch Princess Tutu instead. Great art, music, and themes. Not quite as queer, but there are talking animals, that's always a plus.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 2, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yuri Kuma isn't bad, but it certainly isn't great. I think it suffered heavily from heightened expectations. Penguindrum is the better choice, and if you still want the Ikuhara later, try YKA, but temper your expectations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

furiouskoala posted:

I know this isn't a recommendation thread, but you guys are the experts on the genre. I recently began watching Utena, and as I near the end of it I am wondering what an anime is that is similar to Utena? What I like about it is it's heavy use of metaphor, queer themes, and art direction, as well as the music. What is another anime that will give me the Utena feel? I have already queued up Yurikuma. I enjoyed Sailor Moon, although it was a little more shallow than Utena. Other favorites are Evangelion, Madouka, and Rahxephon. Any recs will be greatly appreciated.

It's not shoujo but watch the Night on the Galactic Railroad movie, Ikuhara references it about 20 times an episode of everything he does.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Penguindrum is one of my favorite animes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Yessss, Hayakawa Nojiko is the best. Yozora no Sumikko de is perfect imo.

I'm not a big fan of the "timid guy and really aggressive guy" pairing that seems to be in every single gay manga. Are there any with pairings that don't fit this mold?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not a big fan of the "timid guy and really aggressive guy" pairing that seems to be in every single gay manga. Are there any with pairings that don't fit this mold?

The Scent of Apple Blossoms comes to mind. The uke is pretty aggressive and does most of the pursuing while the seme is aloof and standoffish. Honto Yajuu is another one with a couple where both the guys are pretty manly, plus it's hard to go wrong with Kotetsuko Yamamoto.

edit: here, have some more
Probably goes without saying most of these are :nws:
Sayonara, Itoshi no My Friend
Puchitto Hajiketa
Wakabaryou de, Kimi to
Dear Green & Dear Green: Hitomi no Ounowa
Doushitemo Furetakunai & Soredemo, Yasashii Koi o Suru
Himegoto Asobi
Sorenari ni Shinken nandesu. (probably the prequel too but it's been a long time since I've read it)
10 Dance
Rutta to Kodama
Omamorishimasu, Dokomademo
Kurayami ni Strobe
Border
Blue Sky Complex
Sabita Yoru Demo Koi wa Sasayaku & Renai Rubi no Tadashii Furikata (huh, didn't realize those were apparently connected until I looked them up)
Devil's Honey
Sangen Tonari no Tooi Hito & Merry Checker (check out her other stuff as well)
Doukyuusei & sequels
Tsumasaki Ni Kourozu
Soredemo Kamawanai
Hada no Ue no Renai Jijou
Koi made Hyakurin + sequels

editx2: whoops that ended up being a pretty long list, also uh it sort of ended up turning into "stuff I like" so it's a bit random.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

So as this author usually does in other short stories, it's mostly subdued but sweet romance stories, all around 40-50 pages. She uses a heavy dose of narration from the main character's perspective, to show the character's feelings and their way of seeing the world, sometimes to show how subjective each person's view is, and how sometimes love bloom thanks or despite that challenge.

I remembered this manga-ka when I started reading shoujo I really wanted a longer series from her but so far I still only find one-shots and shorter works.

Has anyone heard of Ando Yuki? She does a lot of one-shots with a interesting artstyle: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/drops-r2617

Another manga-ka I like to read her serious works would be Shimotsuki Kayoko. She has a comedy manga out right now but I'd recommend reading: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/coelacanth-r2108

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Honestly if you liked Utena partly because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did rather than in spite of it, it's probably worth your time to watch Yurikuma and form your own opinion on it, but if you thought things like the pre-duel sequences or exposition of Utena's backstory got repetitive and grating then YKA's probably not gonna be for you, because stylistically YKA is all about setting up repeating patterns in order to break them later on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

furiouskoala posted:

I'd recommend Rose Of Versailles, Oniisama e..., Gankutsuou, and maybe Le Chevalier D'Eon?

The main theme I'm running with is female swordsmen, French-inspired, non-het relationships, and focus on character interactions.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 2, 2015

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Everything Burrito posted:

The Scent of Apple Blossoms comes to mind. The uke is pretty aggressive and does most of the pursuing while the seme is aloof and standoffish. Honto Yajuu is another one with a couple where both the guys are pretty manly, plus it's hard to go wrong with Kotetsuko Yamamoto.

edit: here, have some more

list

Probably goes without saying most of these are :nws:

:allears: you're the best, everything burrito

also seconding Honto Yajuu because it's really cute.

Also, Doushitemo Furetakunai has a movie now, if you're into that kind of thing

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gnossiennes posted:

Also, Doushitemo Furetakunai has a movie now, if you're into that kind of thing

I did not know that, thanks for the heads up!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thuryl posted:

Honestly if you liked Utena partly because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did rather than in spite of it, it's probably worth your time to watch Yurikuma and form your own opinion on it, but if you thought things like the pre-duel sequences or exposition of Utena's backstory got repetitive and grating then YKA's probably not gonna be for you, because stylistically YKA is all about setting up repeating patterns in order to break them later on.
I loved Utena because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did, and have a shrine to Shinbou in my closet, so I think it's fair to say I love many extremely stylized things, but YKA felt like Ikuhara going "Look! I'm doing all that Ikuhara stuff you like! Rotating girls in fetal position and descending staircases! This worked before, should work again, right?" and it just kinda falls flat.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Paracelsus posted:

I loved Utena because of all the weird stylistic poo poo it did, and have a shrine to Shinbou in my closet, so I think it's fair to say I love many extremely stylized things, but YKA felt like Ikuhara going "Look! I'm doing all that Ikuhara stuff you like! Rotating girls in fetal position and descending staircases! This worked before, should work again, right?" and it just kinda falls flat.

I can see where you're coming from but I think there's enough of value in it that if someone likes Ikuhara's other work I'd rather they see it and come to their own conclusions than be warned away from it. I should say that I wasn't on board just for the stylistic elements -- another big reason it worked for me is because the plot and character interactions struck some painfully familiar notes about the internal social dynamics of lesbian communities that I've interacted with, so the emotional logic of the show rang true for me. Obviously not everybody's going to have had the same experiences in that regard but I do feel like there's there's more heart and sincerity to it than a lot of people give it credit for.

edit: having said all that, it's definitely got some flaws that are worth knowing about. Between its shorter length and a lot of the characters not getting that much screen time, I never felt like it quite got into the heads of most of its characters as well as Utena did, and it spends so much time building up to stuff that only pays off much later on that I wasn't sure how I felt about the show until after I'd seen the final episode. For me the payoff was enough to make it all worthwhile but I'll admit that "watch twelve episodes of this show in anticipation of an ending that you may or may not like" is kind of a big ask, and I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I hadn't trusted that it was going somewhere.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 2, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alder posted:

I remembered this manga-ka when I started reading shoujo I really wanted a longer series from her but so far I still only find one-shots and shorter works.

Has anyone heard of Ando Yuki? She does a lot of one-shots with a interesting artstyle: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/drops-r2617

That was good, thank you. edit: her Matrioshka oneshot is also very good.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 2, 2015

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

editx2: whoops that ended up being a pretty long list, also uh it sort of ended up turning into "stuff I like" so it's a bit random.

And a few more:
Signal/Arashi no Ato/Hatsukoi no Atosaki by Hidaka Shoko, and just about anything else of theirs. IMO Signal's the weakest, but they're all loosely related.
Chikatetsu no Inu by Kusama Sakae.
Yes It's Me and Kuimonodokoro Akira by Yamashita Tomoko.
Zantei, Koibito by Akiba Touko
Lies Are a Gentleman's Manners by Matsuo Marta
Future Lovers by Kunieda Saika
Ultras by est em

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kusaru posted:

And a few more:

Oh there are a few here I haven't read and a few I've apparently read and don't remember so I guess that calls for a re-read. Love the Hidaka Shoko ones.

If we ever have to restart the thread I'd like to go through and compile a BL rec list from everything that's been posted because between all of us over time there's a pretty good list in here, it's just scattered through the thread.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Momonchi

Here we have the protagonist, a girl in an art school (nooo another one nooo!). She is a ‘good girl’, timid, but also a sleepy and a bit slow and dull.
I think her family and friends makes the story work even if they are clearly just secondary characters, as they are a bit more active, colorful and full of contrast than her. They have well expressed relationships with her, the friends behave like old friends who treats her as the “little child” of the group, the family really cares for her, etc. The protagonist for herself alone is too bland. That said they are fully "secondary", they are there as accessories to the protagonist.

What is it about? Well, I think this is the first Slice of Life I’ve seen from Kei Toume, here with a school theme. It really doesn’t happen a lot in this comic, honestly. Well, there is the obvious pseudo romantic sub-plot going on, but it isn’t more than... 1/5 of all the story.
I suspect this truly was going to be a longer story but the editor canceled it so it was finished in a single volume. There are a few subplots that start, like the the thing with the father, but they never finish (or even really get to start). Nor it had time for character development. All this considered, given the abruptness of the ending, the final chapter was somewhat acceptable.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Turin Turambar posted:

Momonchi

Here we have the protagonist, a girl in an art school (nooo another one nooo!). She is a ‘good girl’, timid, but also a sleepy and a bit slow and dull.
I think her family and friends makes the story work even if they are clearly just secondary characters, as they are a bit more active, colorful and full of contrast than her. They have well expressed relationships with her, the friends behave like old friends who treats her as the “little child” of the group, the family really cares for her, etc. The protagonist for herself alone is too bland. That said they are fully "secondary", they are there as accessories to the protagonist.

What is it about? Well, I think this is the first Slice of Life I’ve seen from Kei Toume, here with a school theme. It really doesn’t happen a lot in this comic, honestly. Well, there is the obvious pseudo romantic sub-plot going on, but it isn’t more than... 1/5 of all the story.
I suspect this truly was going to be a longer story but the editor canceled it so it was finished in a single volume. There are a few subplots that start, like the the thing with the father, but they never finish (or even really get to start). Nor it had time for character development. All this considered, given the abruptness of the ending, the final chapter was somewhat acceptable.

I've been slowly reading through his other work Sing Yesterday for Me, and I feel it has similar problems to Momonchi in that the main characters are rather bland, and there's drama but no tension and unfortunately no actual interesting side characters to support it. I think I'm still reading it at this point cause I don't really know when to stop and I hope it gets better.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

I've been slowly reading through his other work Sing Yesterday for Me, and I feel it has similar problems to Momonchi in that the main characters are rather bland, and there's drama but no tension and unfortunately no actual interesting side characters to support it. I think I'm still reading it at this point cause I don't really know when to stop and I hope it gets better.

:agreed:

I can relate to the MC of SYFM but it's just kinda slow and boring after a few chapters. It reminds of irl but not in a good way.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Natsu no Zenjistu v05

Oh, man, If could punch a fictional character through my screen...
He thinks he doesn't really loves Akira because the reasons he likes her are superficial (beautiful, kind, hot sex), but the truth is, his infatuation with Hanami is as superficial! It's always the same: "I want to draw her because she is so beautiful! she shines like a sunflower!". That's a line of one of the last chapters, and it was exactly the same as the start when he meets her.
Oh well, love isn't rational. He is in love with Hanami.

So the breakup was coming, and after my "rage" phase, and the self-fulfillment viewpoint is broken, I have to say it was it was well done, examining the feelings and reasonings of the two, both before and after. The final moment with her giving him a verbal smackdown but also wanting him to be as selfish as before was good.

I really can't stay angry as I thought I would be with this end ,even if I wanted for the two to stay together. Looking back the entire story was about this, about a fleeting romance which was fated to end, the the mc was always a spoiled kid. And it gives you the feeling that at least this end will serve for him to mature.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like this one-shot and I heard it got a sequel: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/dhaldot-no-akujiki-musume-r15787/

Art looks nice and clean. Characters are cute.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Alder posted:

I like this one-shot and I heard it got a sequel: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/dhaldot-no-akujiki-musume-r15787/

Art looks nice and clean. Characters are cute.

perfect story for this time of year :3:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Turin Turambar posted:

Natsu no Zenjistu v05

Oh, man, If could punch a fictional character through my screen...
He thinks he doesn't really loves Akira because the reasons he likes her are superficial (beautiful, kind, hot sex), but the truth is, his infatuation with Hanami is as superficial! It's always the same: "I want to draw her because she is so beautiful! she shines like a sunflower!". That's a line of one of the last chapters, and it was exactly the same as the start when he meets her.
Oh well, love isn't rational. He is in love with Hanami.

So the breakup was coming, and after my "rage" phase, and the self-fulfillment viewpoint is broken, I have to say it was it was well done, examining the feelings and reasonings of the two, both before and after. The final moment with her giving him a verbal smackdown but also wanting him to be as selfish as before was good.

I really can't stay angry as I thought I would be with this end ,even if I wanted for the two to stay together. Looking back the entire story was about this, about a fleeting romance which was fated to end, the the mc was always a spoiled kid. And it gives you the feeling that at least this end will serve for him to mature.

he's a big dumb idiot

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That seemed like a really frustrating manga to read, I kinda thought about it but I like happy endings too much lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

hitze posted:

he's a big dumb idiot

Yep, so in truth it's good they break up, so that way she can find a really good guy.

Like me.

She was ideal dammit ;_;

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That seemed like a really frustrating manga to read, I kinda thought about it but I like happy endings too much lol.

It's an incredibly good comic with a sad ending.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also everybody who reads it falls in love with Akira and thats why they hate the guy, it makes people incredibly jealous.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Fujiyama-san is popular (and super cute).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think Fujiyama is seinen actually, but maybe being romance overwrites that?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think Fujiyama is seinen actually, but maybe being romance overwrites that?

I think romances overwrites it, for example I talked of a pair of seinen romance here.
Though in this case, we have to wing it a bit. Fujiyama is "romance", in quotes, the type that never ever develops and that in reality, 95% of the chapters are simple SoL stuff :P.

So use whatever thread you want, I suppose :P.

And that's not even going to the usual confusion that people have with the seinen tag. In reality, what is shonen, seinen, josei, etc have changed with the times, and it's not a black/white thing but a gradient, and in fact some magazines complicates things even more because they are "mixed", not every magazine conforms itself to neat, easy divisions.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fujiyamas romance developed incredibly quickly, they are dating and just keeping it a secret.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
And that's probably enough development since IIRC they're still in middle school.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Fujiyama like 6+ feet tall

That's one hell of a middle schooler. I thought they'd moved on to high school already but I guess not.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
No.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

In Boke wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai, the most beautiful princess in the land uses her magic mirror to find her prince.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mirror-san, she's totally gay!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

She's 5'9" which is taller than I am, and pretty drat tall for a middle schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

In Boke wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai, the most beautiful princess in the land uses her magic mirror to find her prince.

No more princess rules ☆ bitch!