Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait so did that youngest girl ever or whatever the gently caress actually summit Everest

Youngest girl to ever write a book about being the youngest girl to summit Everest and subsequently not be allowed to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The youngest girl to climb everest made it to the summit. The youngest girl to write a book about being the youngest girl to climb everest did not.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Cojawfee posted:

The youngest girl to climb everest made it to the summit. The youngest girl to write a book about being the youngest girl to climb everest did not.

And the cosmic ballet... goes on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cojawfee posted:

The youngest girl to climb everest made it to the summit.

How old was she like 32?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I will become the youngest man to have been cucked on everest, please sponsor my kickstarter GBS.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

How old was she like 32?

13 but she is indian so obviously not quite the accomplishment it could've been

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Syncopated posted:

I will become the youngest man to have been cucked on everest, please sponsor my kickstarter GBS.

The good thing is your girlfriend and the other dude will probably die from exposure, so you will get the better end of the deal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

rezatahs posted:

13 but she is indian so obviously not quite the accomplishment it could've been

There's a joke about an accomplishment that she hasn't been gangraped but I'm not going to go to such a tasteless place

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

There's a joke about an accomplishment that she hasn't been gangraped but I'm not going to go to such a tasteless place

"I'm going to ascend one foot for every unwanted inch that's been inside of me" *climbs Everest*

ew

drat it alan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Madcosby posted:

"I'm going to ascend one foot for every unwanted inch that's been inside of me" *climbs Everest*

ew

drat it alan

not even Alan SMithee would take credit for usch a post

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alan Smithee posted:

I think you're reaching really far out of the possibilities here.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Just got through the entire thread. Looking forward to the next one.

I LOVED the thread about the goon who was gonna walk across a America but gave up after 6 days. Probably the best thread I have ever read.

I also loved the lost Germans in the desert which leads me onto my question.

I love hearing about the scale of America, as a Brit , we really can't grasp how big the USA is.

Are there some good documentaries etc which showcase the sheer scale, the outback and desolation.

I recently went to Vegas and while flying I was in awe of the desert alone, imagine just randomly being plopped down - you'd be so ducked and no one would ever know. Amazing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's the farthest you've driven at a time in the UK? I can drive for seven hours straight and not even leave Texas. Also, that's a thing in the US. Traveling is determined by hours of driving, not by distance.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It takes about 7 hours to drive from London to Edinburgh so yeah, the US is biiiiiig.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Cojawfee posted:

What's the farthest you've driven at a time in the UK? I can drive for seven hours straight and not even leave Texas. Also, that's a thing in the US. Traveling is determined by hours of driving, not by distance.

About 7 hours - and that's from the London area to hadrians wall area. That's probably just a session for you guys.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lands end to john o groats is the length of Britain and that's a good 18 hours or something. As far as you can go. Driving across the U.S. is a big deal, but Christ, driving across Libya when going from Egypt to Tunisia is about half the continental U.S. And so so so much more boring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What got across how big the US is to me (or rather, how small Europe is) were the Top Gear Europe road-trip specials... they would go from Italy to England in a (long) day, and I thought about the same drive in the states, and it wouldn't get you out of some states.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If anyone's interested in a thoughtfully planned, full-assed excursion, Paul Salopek is walking from Ethiopia to the bottom of South America over the course of several years as he retraces the path of human migration. Right now he's leaving Georgia (the country).

http://www.outofedenwalk.com/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

And this is without even leaving the Atlantic coastline.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

NaDy posted:

It takes about 7 hours to drive from London to Edinburgh so yeah, the US is biiiiiig.

I have to drive over 8 hours to get to the nearest beach.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
driving west through texas is cool becuase you can speed massively since theres nobody else on the road

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this helps to drive it home:

The flight time is deceptive, since it includes a stopover; but a direct Miami:Seattle flight is over 5 hours, which is similar to a flight from London, UK to Athens, Greece.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 3, 2015

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'm not even sure drive time gets the scale across--does the UK have flat stretches where the speed limit is 75? Interstate highways tend to allow faster driving and even then states will take hours to cross.

If it helps, my state, Missouri, is roughly similar in area to England. It takes about six hours to cross east to west but you would mostly be on highways with 65 or 70mph speeds.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I think this helps to drive it home:

I wonder which drive would be nicer to make there. Someday I wanna do something like that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atomicgeek posted:

I'm not even sure drive time gets the scale across--does the UK have flat stretches where the speed limit is 75? Interstate highways tend to allow faster driving and even then states will take hours to cross.

If it helps, my state, Missouri, is roughly similar in area to England. It takes about six hours to cross east to west but you would mostly be on highways with 65 or 70mph speeds.

Yeah, somewhat. Many rights of way in the UK were first established by romans who liked to build long straight roads, and the speed limits on their motorways are comparable to our highways. That said, their roads have much more traffic than those long stretches of straight highway through the flyover states, and of course there aren't any roman roads in scotland's north. Driving around in the UK is more like driving around in the US's northeast; more density of cities, more weather that is likely to slow you down. A long straight road there will run between two big cities that are 50m apart, rather than like a long straight road in texas that will run for 300 miles in a perfectly straight line.

So: tl;dr, yeah geography is a factor in making comparisons but not a massive one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I wonder which drive would be nicer to make there. Someday I wanna do something like that.

When I was a kid we took a 7 month trip around the US. Started in Virginia, went north, then down and around all the way up to Alaska, then back down to hit everything in the middle of the country on our way to Texas.

It absolutely owned and I wish to do it with my own family some day.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Pretty sure I would murder every other person on that trip within about two weeks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

rotinaj posted:

I've done a number of drives like this, they aren't as fun as they sound. By the end you just want to get where you are going.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I've done the northern route - it can be pretty, if you like long stretches of nothing (the Dakotas) and then Glacier National Park which is amazing. Long as hell though, you really do want to plan things out; not just sightseeing but making sure you stop for a break every few hours, are always topped up on gas, and don't find yourself in the middle of nowhere at 11pm with only a Motel 6 to sleep at.

I imagine it'd be interesting in an RV, my uncle did it and had fun but I don't think my hair is blue enough.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, somewhat. Many rights of way in the UK were first established by romans who liked to build long straight roads, and the speed limits on their motorways are comparable to our highways.

Yes, little known fact - the Romans had a hard time adapting to the lack of speed limits on the Germanic tribes' autobahns, greatly impeding their conquest.

But seriously this is a great poignant instance of "100 miles is a long distance / 100 years is a long time".

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
My gf's sister just made the drive from Orlando to Seattle in 4 days.
She said it was boring as gently caress.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If I'd have been there to keep her company it would have been much more enjoyable.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Unless you really like long stretches of empty plains, almost certainly the one that doesn't go through the Dakotas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the drive through black hills national forest in south dakota owns but the rest of it is loving poo poo

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Khizan posted:

Unless you really like long stretches of empty plains, almost certainly the one that doesn't go through the Dakotas.

Incorrect, Kansas is much worse to drive through. Plus the other one looks to take you past the surprisingly amazing Corn Palace.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

My gf's sister just made the drive from Orlando to Seattle in 4 days.
She said it was boring as gently caress.

Staying on the Interstate the entire time going 75 is boring because you don't actually see anything.

Even in Washington State - sure you could speed through on I-90, or you could take the side roads and see Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, the Olympics, the Grand Coulee Dam (and the laser light show held on it every night, no I'm not joking), Lake Chelan... get off the drat highway once in a while.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

That 29 hours is basically a minimum too, without much traffic or construction, and doesn't include all the gas/food stops.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Distance is measured by time in Canada too. Calgary to Vancouver: 12 hours. Saskatoon: 8. Toronto: 2 days. Edmonton: 3 if you're going the speed limit but no one ever does so it's usually 2. I have no idea the actual distances in terms of kilometers and I'm in geography :downs:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This is not a very good derail imo, but nobody will be climbing Everest until like may next year so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

This is an image from the Daily Mail so it's probably well researched.

• Locked thread