Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

what was then man

mad men duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mr.capps posted:

mad men duh

lmao

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Breaking bad is for adults who still fingerpaint

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Magnus Gallant posted:

Why only competitive reality? Is your brain broke?

competitive reality is the genre with the greatest potential on television.
it can have the lowest lows, but also the greatest highs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mad men is for people who think a show strictly about character development is good aka morons

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mad men kinda has an anti character development message

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mad men is for people who think a show strictly about character development is good aka morons

That's generous

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mr.capps posted:

check the thread in tviv, they is a link to someone's tumblr who sub the stuff

thanks, found it!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you dudes and ladies are just being amazingly grouchy today

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen mad men, is it good?

What's it about? Jon Hamm

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like vince's work on the x files more than breaking bad tbh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Magnus Gallant posted:

I've never seen mad men, is it good?

What's it about? Jon Hamm

the want to change

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also Lawnmowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2A8bQv2xA

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's about how everyone is poo poo, basically

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The "everyone is a horrible person" in mad men thing isn't really that true.

Like Don is even is a good guy, he is just so morally weird.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mad Men is a boring show, I quit halfway through the second episode.

Breaking Bad is all right but nothing special.

These are some Rarity Opinions

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mr.capps posted:

The "everyone is a horrible person" in mad men thing isn't really that true.

Like Don is even is a good guy, he is just so morally weird.

Everyone thinks they're a good guy and nobody is though

You could argue one of the main themes is "everyone sins and thats okay" but I think its demonstrating that nobody is actually good instead

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does madmen have computers in it? Because I only watch shows that feature computers in some capacity

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Magnus Gallant posted:

Does madmen have computers in it? Because I only watch shows that feature computers in some capacity

yes, and they play a major thematic role.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hi mafiadiscussion thread, I'm sitting on the couch in my in-laws' house drinking beer and watching the genius, how are you all?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I once accidentally watched an entire episode of Peaky Blinders because my friend told me that at the very end the main character uses a blue tooth. But there was no blue tooth. I had to take 15 showers and say 47 Hail Marys in a row

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Podima posted:

hi mafiadiscussion thread, I'm sitting on the couch in my in-laws' house drinking beer and watching the genius, how are you all?

I'm at work bored out of my mind and attacking things I feel no one way about because it helps pass the time. Have one for me, bud.

On the plus side, after a month without, I finally found a (not poo poo) new hookup :420:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I don't enjoy watching shows that are nothing but endless streams of cynicism and unlikable characters. True Detective, while beautifully shot, got really old by its midway point.

I'd rather watch a show like American Horror Story or Veep. While neither might not count as "prestige television," at least they have fun with their concepts. I can't stand it when writers take themselves too seriously.

Never seen Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 3, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Podima posted:

Say goodbye to all your free time for the next week

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Everyone thinks they're a good guy and nobody is though

You could argue one of the main themes is "everyone sins and thats okay" but I think its demonstrating that nobody is actually good instead

I would argue a lot of character arcs are more people thinking they are bad guys in the beginning, and kinda realizing they are actually decent people in the end though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Say goodbye to all your free time for the next week

:negative:

I'm hoping that my other commitments will keep me distracted - this next week is busy with lots of travel!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

I don't enjoy watching shows that are nothing but endless streams of cynicism and unlikable characters. True Detective, while beautifully shot, got really old by its midway point.

I'd rather watch a show like American Horror Story or Veep. While neither might not count as "prestige television," at least they have fun with their concepts.

Veep is great but a woman president? Get real! The lizard overlords would never allow it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Podima posted:

:negative:

I'm hoping that my other commitments will keep me distracted - this next week is busy with lots of travel!

Pre-stream the episodes and watch them while you travel!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

QuoProQuid posted:

I'd rather watch a show like American Horror Story or Veep. While neither might not count as "prestige television," at least they have fun with their concepts.

Season 1 of True Detectives is actually one of the most optimistic police procedural out there. I mean Rust's entire thing is just a facade to protect himself from the gently caress up stuff he is seeing.

Veep should and does count as prestige television. Its one of the best written shows on TV and is the perfect anti West Wing.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

Veep is great but a woman president? Get real! The lizard overlords would never allow it

men are reptiles it is true

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mr.capps posted:

I would argue a lot of character arcs are more people thinking they are bad guys in the beginning, and kinda realizing they are actually decent people in the end though.

Thats true of Joan and Betty I guess but isn't true about Don, Peggy, Roger, Megan, Lane, Ken, Harry, Paul, or Pete.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ken Cosgrove is the greatest science fiction writer of his time and not a terrible person at all!!!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is VEEP the next show I should be seeing because its sounding interesting and it has the actress from seinfeld?!?!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Is VEEP the next show I should be seeing because its sounding interesting and it has the actress from seinfeld?!?!

Watch Veep. Its done by the guy who did the thick of it and in the loop. It has her, Matt Walsh, the guy who loses his hand in Arrested Development, and a lot other great people who it would actually probably be better to just be completely surprised when they show up.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TV is trash why don't you all expand your mind with the work of noted author Terry Goodkind?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

TV is trash why don't you all expand your mind with the work of noted author Terry Goodkind?

I read his stuff as a teen and it's made me into the man I am today :pwn:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys should watch Mr. Robot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
podcasts are the new tv

reality show show is the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Rarity posted:

You guys should watch Mr. Robot

I tried the first episode, but I don't really like the main actor.