Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, the last Shimomura soundtrack I heard was Super Mario RPG, so I have no clue how she's evolved as a composer. I thought the XV demo tracks were fine, if a bit...wallpaper-y.

Hitoshi Sakimoto forever, though.

Her most recent stuff isn't nearly as catchy to me, but SMRPG was just really good.

Terper posted:

I think there will be mostly largely forgettable tracks, and a couple standout really good ones.

That's been true of FF soundtracks since 10. (Er, I read good - let me edit your post to make the point I thought you said)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Her most recent stuff isn't nearly as catchy to me, but SMRPG was just really good.

What do you mean by most recent? Like, how recent? I have a lot of love for the soundtracks of the latest Mario & Luigi (2013) and Kingdom Hearts 3D (2012. Also admittedly has other composers on it but her stuff is good too). Plus, she has some excellent remixes in Smash 4.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Amppelix posted:

What do you mean by most recent? Like, how recent? I have a lot of love for the soundtracks of the latest Mario & Luigi (2013) and Kingdom Hearts 3D (2012. Also admittedly has other composers on it but her stuff is good too). Plus, she has some excellent remixes in Smash 4.

Seconding this. Some of my favorite tracks from M&L and Kingdom Hearts come from Dream Team and 3D.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The most nothing track was FF12, because it had no battle theme

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's been true of FF soundtracks since 10. (Er, I read good - let me edit your post to make the point I thought you said)

The XIII soundtrack is pretty solid I think

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

The most nothing track was FF12, because it had no battle theme

this was the best thing about 12. gently caress standard battle music.

Help Im Alive posted:

The XIII soundtrack is pretty solid I think

sorry about this, but, your opinion is wrong!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kingdom Hearts has awesome music. gently caress yeah Rowdy Rumble

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXII had one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. Hamauzu's work on XIII was just so forgettable, bar a few choice tracks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that is the opposite of my opinion

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
comedy option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcDzr0PsoE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

FFXII had one of the best soundtracks in the entire series

Attitude Indicator posted:

sorry about this, but, your opinion is wrong!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I liked the song in 13-2 where they yell time and space a lot

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Folt The Bolt posted:

Seconding this. Some of my favorite tracks from M&L and Kingdom Hearts come from Dream Team and 3D.

Amppelix posted:

Forced out of her style she does really good stuff, but her personal style is getting overwrought and repetitive at this point.
She did something a bit different in KH3D, reminds me a lot of Legend of Mana, and that's a really good thing imo.

Also when XII's music is good it's really good. But when it's not it's aggressively decent. It's the same with all three XIIIs, except more extreme on both ends of the spectrum.

Also who the gently caress greenlighted this terrible piece of poo poo and it's derivatives in XIII-2

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I have become sincerely attached to all the genre mixing in the 13 series soundtracks and I will be genuinely disappointed if 15 doesn't have any rapping or screaming

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lots of Shimomura talk but no mention that I saw of her Legend of Mana soundtrack, which I think is top tier work.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LoM is great, Kingdom Hearts is good, and she contributed to Xenoblade as well.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

a perversion of my words!
12 actually has a really good soundtrack when you listen to it. Guys a great composer, but a lot of the songs don't really work that well in the game. The esper battle theme is amazing though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played Valkyria Chronicles one night and heard the music and was wondering if I sleep modded FF12 music into the game by accident because it sounded exactly the same. There's sticking to a style and then there's the same boring rear end music.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Attitude Indicator posted:

a perversion of my words!
12 actually has a really good soundtrack when you listen to it. Guys a great composer, but a lot of the songs don't really work that well in the game. The esper battle theme is amazing though.

This is basically it. I don't care what the soundtrack is on its own, if the game barely showcases it. I played FF12 international like barely a few months ago and nothing OST-wise stuck with me. I remember the victory song and that's about it. A lot of it is pure atmosphere, which is not going to stick to you compared to the usual bombastic nature of RPG music.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Baal posted:

I played Valkyria Chronicles one night and heard the music and was wondering if I sleep modded FF12 music into the game by accident because it sounded exactly the same. There's sticking to a style and then there's the same boring rear end music.

Same composer for both games I believe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

Hitoshi Sakamoto owns actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weYL2ww1uDU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Not a big Sakimoto fan but I enjoyed his work on Breath of Fire 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdnsnXXQQg

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only problem I have with him is that he has a habit of picking a leitmotif and making it 3/4 of the soundtrack. It gets kinda old over the long games he scores.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Same composer for both games I believe.

It is yes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Armitage posted:

What is a reliable way to learn f-abilities anyway? I can look up what abilities I need, it's just a matter of them taking about, say, 100-125 battles before I can learn them.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's just random. I've had an F-Ability show up on the first use, and I've had them take 30-40 ability uses to show.

This. Sometimes it will take so long to get an F-Ability you'll wonder if you're doing something wrong. Remember, all you have to do to get an F-Ability is to have the secondary ability, whatever it is, on your list. Then use either ability, doesn't matter if it is from your primary job or secondary, to gain the F-Ability. So, for example, Final Heaven, the most powerful F-Ability the Warriors of Light can use, you need either a fully leveled Monk with Earthshatter and White Magic level 7, or A White Mage that has White Magic level 7 and the Martial Arts ability from your Monk job that is maxed out. Although in this case just having White Magic level 7 isn't enough, you also need to complete the quest to get Holy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Also what the gently caress they released a Final Fantasy Dimensions TWO?! Why. The first game was nothing special, why did it warrant a sequel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Also what the gently caress they released a Final Fantasy Dimensions TWO?! Why. The first game was nothing special, why did it warrant a sequel.

What are you talking about?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Legends:_Toki_no_Suish%C5%8D

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i imagine it's getting a sequel because the first sold well enough that projected sales on a sequel justify the time and cost of development

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gologle posted:

"Nothing special" means huge profits for a low budget mobile title. Might as well get used to it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Also that's a F2P multiplayer game so calling it a sequel probably isn't accurate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Given how FFRK and Mobius have done they'll probably double down on the mobile push. Neither game is a bank busting hit but IIRC both are still pretty solid revenue in Japan and Brave Exvius is coming out soon enough. You can do prereg/beta stuff if you read Japanese:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/FFBE/

FFD and the remakes were probably a fairly cheap thing to do, or at least I hope it was cheap as both remakes looked like bad RPG Maker shovelware (FF6 mobile gets points for make Cyan's swdtech mechanic work as it always should have). Even Kemco's stuff manages to have a more consistent look than the mobile remakes of 5 and 6 though and that's pretty bad.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 4, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lots of Shimomura talk but no mention that I saw of her Legend of Mana soundtrack, which I think is top tier work.

She deserves a free pass for life just for her work on Legend of Mana.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCY3-cMX0w

is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuVw5EBUIE

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

She deserves a free pass for life just for her work on Legend of Mana.
For all the poo poo Shimomura gets for Kingdom Hearts, people tend to forget her work on Front Mission, Street Fighter 2, Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana, etc..

That said, the dragoon story arc from Legend of Mana is probably her best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4e2UOovvU

------------------------

Speaking of Shimomura.... she released a vocal version of Somnus (the main title theme of FF15) in 2008 as part of one of her arrangement albums. When the game actually comes out next year, the soundtrack will actually be one of her older compositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz3od_TQQs0

An arranged version of Omnis Lacrima (the Behemoth fight from the demo) ended up on her 2014 arrangement album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6VBOo-lq0

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 4, 2015

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Forced out of her style she does really good stuff, but her personal style is getting overwrought and repetitive at this point.
She did something a bit different in KH3D, reminds me a lot of Legend of Mana, and that's a really good thing imo.

Also when XII's music is good it's really good. But when it's not it's aggressively decent. It's the same with all three XIIIs, except more extreme on both ends of the spectrum.

Also who the gently caress greenlighted this terrible piece of poo poo and it's derivatives in XIII-2

What's wrong with this other than bneing pretty forgettable?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

fronz posted:

What's wrong with this other than bneing pretty forgettable?

Given the history of Final Fantasy soundtracks, being forgettable actually seems pretty heinous.

Not a viewpoint I agree with myself but people can be pretty :spergin: about these things.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Baal posted:

Star Ocean is like the candy corn of JRPGs

I loving loved the Second Story. How did it get so stupid in later iterations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ErichZahn posted:

I loving loved the Second Story. How did it get so stupid in later iterations?

transition to 3D is a grab bag. with highly competent devs in charge, you could get a near-flawless transition like Super Metroid to Prime, but some games take a few fumbling steps into 3D world and fall completely flat.