Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If the game did a better job of presenting information to you like "PLASMA BURN!" in big comic book letters front and center, and the Particle Smash etc trio was less gimmicky and a bit more 1-2-3 like pretty much all the rest of the combo followup powers in every other game in the world, it might have come out better :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
WotW offers a less effective buff to non-physical melee damage, but it's still sizable. Laser Sword powers work fine with it.

Over the years the devs attempted to branch out Laser Sword with two 'build' varieites: Plasma Burn LS (includes Lightwave Slash and Plasma Cutter, and modified the basic combo to also apply Plasma Burn), which sucks and is basically shittier Single Blade, and Particle Acceleration LS (Particle Accelerator, Unified Theory, Particle Smash), which can pump out powerful AoE damage but still sucks and is overly convoluted. It's made even worse by the fact that the very first Laser Sword attack included in the game is still the best by a wide margin, and also because it's two entirely different playstyles that have almost no synergy with one another.

The best Laser Sword setup I've found, including a bit of the new stuff boils down to:

• basic Laser Sword combo
  • Particle Accelerator
  • Particle Smash

Laser Sword's normal combo is just too powerful to beat with any of the new powers, and it still grossly outclasses many other melee attacks in how much damage it pumps out. You just need the energy for it, so stack efficiency.

Particle Accelerator's kind of a slow cone that doesn't entirely stand up to Laser Sword's massive damage, but it mainly serves to aid with Particle Smash, and still is probably the least-bad of the consistent melee AoE attacks that laser sword has.

Then there's Particle Smash, which is most likely overpowered in its own right, is a huge sphere burst of damage that murders big mobs, and while it has a long recharge, the use of Particle Accelerator can reset the recharge by random. Particle Smash can also be powered up by using Unified Theory but gently caress that just use Laser Sword to do more damage to single targets.

I use a build like that with Way of the Warrior (better defense, and negligible difference in damage output from Laser Sword), and the build works great. My normal combo grabs aggro from bosses all the time, because the base damage on that attack is just so high, and if I use Particle Smash, I can attempt a combo of 3 Particle Accelerator attacks to try and get it to reset against single targets (or spam it constantly if I'm fighting a group.)

Basically yes gimmicks suck.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I tried for a few months to make a decent laser sword character. Eventually I gave up and made an Ego Blade guy instead. And then changed the concept to fit that. My big hangup with CO was always getting to ALMOST make a really cool character, then having fall apart. I think of like 50 characters I got an idea for a fun build for I got maybe 10 to work out.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Personally I found Electric Form works good with laser sword builds, since all the powers are particle damage which electric form boosts. Plus the equilibrium and recovery boost it gives helps immensely to offset the huge energy cost of the basic laser sword combo, especially with the debuff advantage making it cost even more.

But yeah, plasma burn needs to refresh on new stacks (A lot of stackable debuffs need to do this, to be honest.) and plasma cutter needs to actually do more damage than just spamming laser sword some more. Also lightwave slash needs to be not terrible and to be pbaoe. Actually a lot of melee sets desperately need a decent pbaoe because trying to position for cones is bullshit when ranged players can murder most of a mob before you even get in range.

And I too have so many concepts that just aren't doable in this game. You'd think with being able to choose any power you'd have more options for concepts but no, so many things are just missing for no good reason. Like the two laser rifle powers but if your concept is person with laser rifle you're hosed cause there's no aoe power for that. And then there's concepts that do work but you have to intentionally make a terrible character to do it cause the balance in this game is all but nonexistent.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
How the hell do i disable the xbox controller shortcuts and show the pc shortcuts on the command bar?

Ive disabled the xbox controller in the settings, but that doesn't do it.

I don't want to unplug it because im lazy and I use it for some games, I just don't want to use it for this one.

Edit:

It took me a while. I had to disable it in the settings, then fully quit the game and restart it.

Edit2:

I haven't played this in a while and wow has it improved. Im having alot of fun smashing people in the face with my behemoth.

And you can earn zen currency in game to unlock stuff? thats pretty amazing. And it seems to have an active community as well.

Im in game as HardKase so invite me or one of my characters to play with you.

HardKase fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 26, 2015

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
The mechanics have improved a lot but the desperate need for more content is the same as it ever was, unfortunately.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What's this Supervillain Onslaught poo poo, it looks neat.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's kind of neat. Not really something I feel like doing, but it's at least something they didn't have before.

Basically you get a special transform device. There's a daily mission to hand you one of your choice, and you can buy more for questionite. It's a 1-shot device, and the daily version expires out of your inventory so you can't stockpile them.

While transformed, you have a 7-digit HP total, an enlarged character model, and a new set of powers. You become Grond/Medusa/Gravitar. While in this mode, you can attack other players in Onslaught Villain mode for kicks, as well as certain special Onslaught Target NPCsto complete a wolf-butts daily. Also while in this mode, other players can attack you. You can attack players that have attacked you, or that have healed players that have attacked you.

Fighting an Onslaught Supervillain feels about like fighting a Mega-Destroid - you need a bunch of people DPSing it, but also there are random sphere AoEs that one-shot you and that's as far as I've gotten with it.

All the relevant dailies pay out in Villain and Hero tokens, a new currency you can spend for various rewards.

Oh, and the NPC handing out the Onslaught Devices and all the daily missions and so forth? It's Teleios. Full voice and everything. :allears:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

It's also in place to allow you to unlock new powers and secondary gear.

The general cycle of the game mode is to do this:

1. Do a ton of Guardian Defense missions (Onslaught Villain killing)
2. Buy a villain unlock for 10k Guardian Tokens. (These first two steps are optional if you're gold, but just using free unlocks given by Teleios' daily is much slower).
3. Do some onslaught villain missions, kill targets, and murder a ton of heroes for tokens.
4. Keep doing this until you have 5k tokens for a secondary gear piece, or 10k for a power unlock.

The gear pieces are pretty neat, but are in the process of getting some stat buffs via mods, so they're not that powerful just yet. They're also bound to the character you get them on, which is annoying. Probably the best one is the tanking secondary, since that can give you a forcefield on each attack you land and generates more threat.

The new powers (three of them, each themed after an onslaught supervillain) are account-wide unlocks, and they include a Grond Radioactive ground slam (which I have no idea what it does), Medusa's Lance Rain (which is basically a superpowered spherical TK Lance of sorts) and Gravitar's Gravity Well (which aside from Implosion Engine might be the most effective pull-inwards power so far).

Of course the big drawback of all of this is that it's pretty blatantly grindy.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

But it's not Crafted Travel Power grindy, at least :v:

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Basically you get a special transform device. There's a daily mission to hand you one of your choice, and you can buy more for questionite.

That daily mission is only for subscribers, I believe.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Fooling around with this game again. Flesh Forge's melee controller build looks fantastic-- is there a reasonable way to make a ranged variant or would that just not work?

I'm atrocious at build-making since the halcyon days of the chest beam 1-shot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The MA controller was super fun but the archery approach was very good as well. something like this. Left a power choice and 4 points free to do with as you like. It's been a while but I'm *pretty sure* that Root effects count for Manipulator stacks. Get your Presence as high as possible, be in Support mode (or balanced if you're soloing I guess) and have a good time.

Several of the other ranged sets can do this just fine as well, e.g. Radiant or Sorcery, I just enjoyed Archery.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Having recently played the Mamushi build, it seems like you could take just about any set of powers that triggers Manipulator, preferably lots of stuns. Dragon Kick is just an amazingly good stun power in general.

Another thing that hasn't gotten much press: They've been adding new T4 powers to the game as tradeable lockbox drops. T4 is the category that includes Planar Fracture, Implosion Engine, Unleashed Rage, etc. They seem to hit the auction house for 200G or so. So far there's one for Force (Gravity Driver) and one for Shadow (Endbringer's Grasp).

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Are those any decent? the cooldowns on them always seem prohibitive to add to a build when you can work out something like Cascade into a ridiculous hit, still.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Allatum posted:

Are those any decent? the cooldowns on them always seem prohibitive to add to a build when you can work out something like Cascade into a ridiculous hit, still.

They're supposed to be like actives as in they're an 'oh crap' button, as ultimates. That said, they're both pretty good for completely wrecking a gathered mob of enemies, but yes the cooldowns are rather long. Thanks to recent changes, it's not quite as easy to get them to be short enough to use regularly either.

While I get what they're going for in their usage, they probably should've just made each of those ultimates a click, simply because trying to unleash a full-charge in a near-death situation usually doesn't go well when knocks and stuns are flying everywhere.

I will say that Endbringer's Grasp is a ton of fun when you do corrupt an enemy. Once you defeat everyone else in their mob they go berserk and charge at the next nearby mob blindly, which can obviously backfire but probably would be best dealt with by just sitting back and watching the lone survivors get wrecked. Gravity Driver's legit good for the huge damage burst it puts out and its gigantic hitbox.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I keep renewing interest in the game like 1-2 weeks after a freeform slot sale ends. Need to just stockpile a ton of zen and sit on it dammit.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
They added more Ultimate powers :woop: Time to log in and see what they're li-

In lockboxes :ramsay:

I can't put in the :effort: to grind alerts in this game to afford the ludicrous prices pubs charge for those things in the awful, awful auction house.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Seems like a popular thing to do is for a bunch of people to switch to onslaught villain at the same time and overlap all their attacks. Probably they should put a cap on the number of active villains an instance can have in it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Man, if anyone actually still gave a poo poo about this game that sounds like something that we could have fun with.

Also hey! Real new content! Sort of! I'll need to actually update the OP for a change... :effort:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mewnie posted:

I can't put in the :effort: to grind alerts in this game to afford the ludicrous prices pubs charge for those things in the awful, awful auction house.

That's what I thought, but then I checked the AH:
Gravity Driver: 49G, 50G, 100G, 175G, 175G
Endbringer's Grasp: 75G, 75G, 100G, 100G, 100G

I don't know poo poo about farming money, but I tend to have about 300G left over after finishing a 40. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Now that gorgeous all-new Skeleton Costume? There's exactly one on the AH, for 2000G. :shepicide:

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Here is the actual build for my Laser Sword support, in case anyone is still interested.

I've been trying the Onslaught stuff out since I got everything set back up, and honestly, I think it could use some work.

Fighting players as a Villain seems to be a trap. The device only transforms you for 15 minutes and I'm consistently able to earn more tokens by killing the NPC objectives rather than players. Maybe I'm just bad at PvP, but the best I can do fighting heroes before time runs out or I'm killed is 25 - 30 tokens. I can regularly earn 50 - 55 just running from NPC checkpoint to NPC checkpoint.

You can fight Villains as your regular character, but there doesn't seem to be much point. The only thing you can buy with the Guardian Tokens is another 15 minutes as a Villain. Currently, the only place to reliably find Villains to fight is in Westside 1. There's usually, there three or four Villains in the area, so you're chance of catching a random one-shot AE is very high. Also, there's a couple of players there that are doing a pretty good job of trolling. They run around killing heroes, but anytime they get close to defeat they use an exploit to heal their Villain character back up or just run away until the 15 minutes expire so the heroes don't get any Guardian Tokens for defeating them. I pretty much just ignore the Guardian Tokens at this point unless I see someone announcing an imminent Villain suicide that I can tag for easy tokens.

I'm really not that impressed with the current implementation. I'll keep killing the NPCs as a Villain to get my tokens for gear, but that's pretty much all I'm going to be doing with it.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

It wasn't as bad ironically when the 'defeated' buff on recently killed players was bugged and disabled itself once players got their toggle form enabled. In that case killing and camping spawnpoints generated a hell of a lot more tokens than usual for villains, hence explaining why those areas became killing grounds for villains looking for tokens in the first place.

The big advantage of farming Guardian tokens is to be able to buy and use a villain at any time of the day, regardless of mission or death rate, essentially greatly expediting your Villain token farming. Those unlocks are also BoE, meaning you can trade them to another character if you want to get that character a special piece of gear that'd fit them well (or sell them on the Auction House for even more G).

But with the current changes, you're mostly spot on. If you want to do a lot of farming, you'd best get either to an isolated UNTIL target and smash the defender repeatedly, or to go to another location that has a lot of potential players, and few competing villains - which usually boils down to other spawnpoints and the Renaissance Center (the latter not being a bad idea if you're great at positioning. One of my latest grond runs took place there and was quite lucrative for both parties.)

Also as a fun bit of courtesy, you can set a 14-ish minute timer for yourself when you activate the device. To help out others, once that timer runs out, you can kill yourself on a turret to grant all nearby heroes guardian tokens, since it's highly unlikely that you'll land another kill within the last 5 seconds of your become, and escaping really doesn't do anything that great for others or yourself, other than not dying (and really, stars aren't difficult to recover.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't understand why people in villain mode always suicide on turrets or flee just before dying. People are super consistent about this. Ok I get it that it awards people 30 tokens but it prevents your daily "defeat a villain" mission from progressing, which would be 50 per defeat (250 total).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I just noticed the cash shop has a 200z item that grants you one level, on questions asked. Apparently it's available for a limited time only? And only usable above level 6, which you get for free by skipping the tutorial anyway, so 200 * 34 = 6800. Does anybody remember that story about the guy who came to the Everquest offices and asked how much it would cost for them to just give him a maxed-out character? We've finally arrived.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

There was a similar deal a few months back for more expensive (though likely more cost efficient) item, which would instantly level your character to 30. Was some time before Onslaught hit. They were even nice enough to include Heirloom gear in the pack (albeit lacking the other sets' EXP boost).

Reminded me a bit of how DAoC servers, at least when I played, had some feature to automatically get players to level 20 if they had a max level character. Subsequently, this caused early zones of the game to be very dead. So clearly the best solution to including this feature in CO was to make everything happen inside the main 10-30 zone anyways, and to try and make money off of it.

But in any case, I'm sure they're pulling this stunt now since I believe most people weren't willing to invest a huge lump of Zen for instant level 30.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Other games with cash shops have been doing that sort of thing for a long time, e.g. Age of Conan and Tera. You'd be surprised.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Any interested costumeophile goons, the last few weeks they've been severely beefing up the tailor with extra options. For example you can now wear bracers with any kind of hand option, hairs and bird beaks are basiccally allowed on any head type, and a ton of costume options have been bugfixed. The changelog for even just the first week is colossal.

Upcoming next week, they're planning to make it so that you can use two hairstyles at once, so look forward to a ton of costume flexibility.

It's a good time for dressup. :allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bluhman posted:

Any interested costumeophile goons, the last few weeks they've been severely beefing up the tailor with extra options. For example you can now wear bracers with any kind of hand option, hairs and bird beaks are basiccally allowed on any head type, and a ton of costume options have been bugfixed. The changelog for even just the first week is colossal.

Upcoming next week, they're planning to make it so that you can use two hairstyles at once, so look forward to a ton of costume flexibility.

It's a good time for dressup. :allears:

Oh gently caress I might have to try and find time to get back into this then. Hell yes dressup.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The idea of wearing two hairstyles at once is incomprehensible to me, but it's probably a good thing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Two hairstyles at once sounds amazing, especially if their coloration is separate from one another.

If I can make Rainbow Beetle even more rainbowy I might give the game a shot for a week or two again at least. Been meaning to check out the villain stuff anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

The idea of wearing two hairstyles at once is incomprehensible to me, but it's probably a good thing.

Hulk Hogan hair plus a Mohawk.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Mecha Nixon shall rise again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sounds like they hired a very motivated rigger that is excited to fix poo poo, that's fantastic.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kelp Plankton posted:

Been meaning to check out the villain stuff anyway.

... Did they actually add more/opposite side content (other than rampages I guess)?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

WarLocke posted:

... Did they actually add more/opposite side content (other than rampages I guess)?

No, Supervillain Onslaught is the current limit of the "villain content".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I might jump back in, the only reason to even care about Champions is getting some love and I want to support that

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
siiiigh

There's no way I'm dumb enough to reinstall again. Right?

I never did get Eclipse Ranger up to max level.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Um

quote:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9656833

Hi Champs!

As some of you may have heard, we are running our annual holiday charge bonus this weekend. In celebration of that, our team will also be running a HUGE sale in Champions Online for all the players looking to get a little extra bang for their ZEN.

Sale Start Date: Friday, November 27, 2015 at 9:00 AM PST
Sale End Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM PST

Here's what will be on sale this weekend:

20% off all Costumes, Vehicles, Hideouts, Services, Boosts, Powers & Items (including Keys).
50% off Freeform Slots
50% off Catalysts.
A FREE single Freeform Slot giveaway for all those that log in this weekend (these are valued at $50 and will only be available until December 1 at 9:00 am PST)

quote:

A FREE single Freeform Slot giveaway for all those that log in this weekend (these are valued at $50 and will only be available until December 1 at 9:00 am PST)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And I was a little bummed that I hadn't saved enough zen for a freeform slot, thanks Cryptic :thumbsup:

e: It's claimed from within the ingame Zen store, under the Services tab.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 27, 2015