Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

Battleships should never be within 6km of each other. Way way too close. At short ranges youryou're either:

1. Just close enough that your flat trajectory means you are very unlikely to penetrate another Battleship; or

2. So close that, in addition to being within the range of enemy support ships, the kinetic energy of shells being shot at you makes everything a loving penetrating shot.

I've not actually played the game yet, but if you're saying that there are forced 6km scenarios, that makes me sad.

It's not a sim and the maps are not that huge plus they have borders. Meaning that even if you try to keep your distance, people can come as close as they want eventually. Embrace the arcadeness - get in close, let the secondaries rip them apart and ram any survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

ZombieLenin posted:

Battleships should never be within 6km of each other. Way way too close. At short ranges your either:

1. Just close enough that your flat trajectory means you are very unlikely to penetrate another Battleship; or

2. So close that, in addition to being within the range of enemy support ships, the kinetic energy of shells being shot at you makes everything a loving penetrating shot.

I've not actually played the game yet, but if you're saying that there are forced 6km scenarios, that makes me sad.

If you're up against me in my Nagato, you're going to end up having to deal with me at sub 7km. I normally start out trying to engage at 10-12km before making a full speed charge for the nearest red BB.

Clevelands are the only ship I fear at close range.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

Battleships should never be within 6km of each other. Way way too close. At short ranges your either:

If you haven't played the game, don't comment on the game's mechanics. :shopkeeper:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lady Morgaga posted:

What I did in Phoenix a lot is constantly changing direction. You have much less guns then St. Louis but you are very maneuverable and fast ship. With final hull you will always have four guns pointed at the target no matter what kind of maneuvers you making. Also you are supreme DD killer so use it to get money and XP.

The best thing about the phoenix is that it can freely change which broadside is pointing at the enemy so you can do weaving things people barely ever see without reducing firepower.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Sextro posted:

I think the aimbot/leading assist is back in a big way. Just had 3 matches in a row where I was being hit by Colorado's, Kongos and New Mexicos at 20KM on the first salvo. And consistently mostly on target follow ups afterwards.

If you get hit by anything at 20km it's your own drat fault

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Sextro posted:

I think the aimbot/leading assist is back in a big way. Just had 3 matches in a row where I was being hit by Colorado's, Kongos and New Mexicos at 20KM on the first salvo. And consistently mostly on target follow ups afterwards.
Someone made an aim assist mod during 0.5.0.0. Wargaming patched 0.5.0.1 (probably to break it) and broke all the mods using flash files in the process, but like any mods it's back now.

Hide your broadside if possible, and destroy high DPM ships (Cleveland/Atlanta/Mogami) ASAP because those ships with aim assist mods will rain fire nonstop from 13~15 km accurately. Also use Situation Awareness and turn immediately if it lights up.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Vary your speed and hit a and d keys once in a while. It's not that hard to score hits at 20km.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Clevelands are the only ship I fear at close range.

And Terp torps :gonk:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Stanley Pain posted:

If you haven't played the game, don't comment on the game's mechanics. :shopkeeper:

I'm only half serious, and it's obviously not a sim or there would be radar fire control, bracketing and the like.

More a comment on the weird disconnection from the reality of big gun shop-to-ship gunnery a 6km map implies.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

KcDohl posted:

KcDohl posted:

In my defense on one of these occasions it was about 45-60 seconds into the match and with the shots coming over a mountain.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Played with my Phoenix this morning.

Holy Cow, that thing can move. You guys were not kidding around. I barely got hit, but all it took was one set of shells from a New York and I went from over half health to sunk. I was also one of the last people standing on my team.

The arc on the shells takes a little getting used to, giving less margin for error, but it actually makes AP useful against more than just BBs.

I really can't wait to see how ridiculous the Phoenix gets when upgraded.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Night10194 posted:

The key is the power slalom. It'll put one half of your guns on target, then the other half, while making you harder to hit and avoiding exposing your delicious, creamy citadel.

this is the best way to play.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sextro posted:

Same. I'm seeing more first volley perfect hits than before. :raise:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm only half serious, and it's obviously not a sim or there would be radar fire control, bracketing and the like.

More a comment on the weird disconnection from the reality of big gun shop-to-ship gunnery a 6km map implies.

The maps are quite large actually. Takes a few minutes to cross one more if you're in a slow ship. I play quite aggressively as a Battleship and try to get into sub 10km range just so I get to use my secondaries because they sound awesome.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

PirateBob posted:

If your in tier 6 I think its just the pubs is finally learning how to play the game. Putting your first volley on someone is simple, if you know your ship, their ship, and the distance to your target.

Unless your great at the game your going to spend a long time with your tier 6 ship. So long that even stupid people can figure out, how to lead the same ship at the same distance by the same number of ticks.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 2, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Since I have a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude to things like aim assist, does anyone have a link?

Though, I'm not sure it's that that widespread yet on the NA server. I see plenty of really bad salvos that land nowhere near the target.

Stanley Pain posted:

The maps are quite large actually. Takes a few minutes to cross one more if you're in a slow ship. I play quite aggressively as a Battleship and try to get into sub 10km range just so I get to use my secondaries because they sound awesome.

One very fun Tirpitz game I drove right between an Amagi and a North Carolina with them at ~3km on either side of me. Both sides of secondaries were going full broadsides and I launched torpedoes from each side of the ship at them. It was glorious.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just got into a Langley. Is there a way to tell whose fighters I'm engaging if there's more than one enemy carrier? I want to avoid sending my fighters to their doom by pitting them against superior forces.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MoraleHazard posted:

One very fun Tirpitz game I drove right between an Amagi and a North Carolina with them at ~3km on either side of me. Both sides of secondaries were going full broadsides and I launched torpedoes from each side of the ship at them. It was glorious.

While the secondaries aren't super effective there is something so satisfying when they start going off. There have been a number of times though were a DD I hadn't noticed decloaks at 6km and have had all my secondaries blast them into oblivion before I even noticed. Rare, but it does happen.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Gunder posted:

Just got into a Langley. Is there a way to tell whose fighters I'm engaging if there's more than one enemy carrier? I want to avoid sending my fighters to their doom by pitting them against superior forces.

There is such a thing in the Aslain modpack, under the OTM section. Be aware it doesn't flat out name what player or ship they came off of. It tells you if the airgroup in question is a stock or upgraded one for a carrier by labeling it like.. Langley/Bogue. That means its the upgraded ones for a Langley but stock for a Bogue. Actually, have a picture:

book
Nov 29, 2014
Watching the tier X russian DD on stream. Thing can shoot out to 18 km with Zao like velocity and arc. Can just sit outside of detection range and spam HE all day. Hard to imagine it'll get released as it is now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

book posted:

Watching the tier X russian DD on stream. Thing can shoot out to 18 km with Zao like velocity and arc. Can just sit outside of detection range and spam HE all day. Hard to imagine it'll get released as it is now.

Love your optimism.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy hell, the tier 5 german cruiser looks like it'll be a riot. 9 6 inch guns in 3 triple turrets, 12 torpedo tubes and a nice assortment of AAA at tier V if they give it the full loadout that they had during WW2. The fact that its two rear turrets and one forward turret will probably be odd to deal with, but so long as its gun handling isn't terrible, it'll probably be fun to play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Elmnt80 posted:

Holy hell, the tier 5 german cruiser looks like it'll be a riot. 9 6 inch guns in 3 triple turrets, 12 torpedo tubes and a nice assortment of AAA at tier V if they give it the full loadout that they had during WW2. The fact that its two rear turrets and one forward turret will probably be odd to deal with, but so long as its gun handling isn't terrible, it'll probably be fun to play.

Yeah that's going to be a lot of fun for the way I currently play the Cleveland. I spend a lot of time with my stern pointed more or less at a BB.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It might have a citadel instead of a weird mystery box, though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Tonight's PSA is that AP can be perfectly viable in an Atlanta. I even hit a Cleveland's mystery box twice for 11000 hitpoints.

Also, the Taco can sometimes be a really fun ship.

Elmnt80 posted:

It probably isn't as annoying as the layout is in the Myogi because of the higher ROF. The German ships should be fun, but I'm looking forward to the British ones.

fake edit: With the Tier 4 captain skill of the extra range for guns up to 155mm, the Cleveland shoots out to 17.6km and the Atlanta to just over 13km. :woop:

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 3, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Taco is extremely hit or miss. I had a slew of games where I did mediocre/fair, and then one where I sailed into 3 battleships and sunk 2 of them.

I feel like I either die almost immediately, or I just start tearing strips off of the enemy team. There is no middle ground in the Taco.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Taco is fun because people always underestimate the Taco's power.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

PirateBob posted:

It is back, confirmed.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://www.twitch.tv/braincage/v/18904365
Holy poo poo don't tell me this is real, because that's just going to wreck Tier 8+ games so much.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Last Stand or Advanced Firing Training for US DD commander? I know that Last Stand should be the obvious choice, but being able to fire without being detected feels tempting...! :shobon: Anyone tried it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aesis posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/braincage/v/18904365
Holy poo poo don't tell me this is real, because that's just going to wreck Tier 8+ games so much.

You've seen the Murmansk, and what happens when an Omaha becomes Russian. You know in your heart this will be real. :ussr:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I know I said this before, but the idea of a Russian ship line from this era is pretty stupid.

If I were making this game all over I would launch with (not in any order)

Japan
United States
Great Britain

In order, after launch, I'd go with adding:

1. Germany
2. Italy
3. France

A Soviet/Russian line is something that I would consider in 4 or 5 years when I was desperate to add new content. I might even add Austria--a country that is now landlocked--first.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

PirateBob posted:

Last Stand or Advanced Firing Training for US DD commander? I know that Last Stand should be the obvious choice, but being able to fire without being detected feels tempting...! :shobon: Anyone tried it?

If you plan on staying back and sniping great, but I'm not sure it works unless you're far enough away from EVERY ship... I think if there's a DD that you haven't detected, it may still be able to detect you shooting. Someone would need to clarify that.

I've gone with Last stand on both my tier 8 DD's. Having 3 smoke should be enough to let you unload your guns safely without retribution, but the choice is up to you and your play style... nice thing is, a few bucks can always correct the mistake, if it turns out to be one.

As I'm writing this post, which is three lines long, I almost want to try it... thanks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It's about their player base. They've got a ton of Russians playing tanks and want to keep the taps flowing, because most tanks players have multiple tier Xs and have little incentive to keep paying lots of money.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

ZombieLenin posted:

I know I said this before, but the idea of a Russian ship line from this era is pretty stupid.

If I were making this game all over I would launch with (not in any order)

Japan
United States
Great Britain

In order, after launch, I'd go with adding:

1. Germany
2. Italy
3. France

A Soviet/Russian line is something that I would consider in 4 or 5 years when I was desperate to add new content. I might even add Austria--a country that is now landlocked--first.

Well you arent a game developer in a former Soviet country making a game with a very large Russian player base. The nationalism is strong.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Stanley Pain posted:

Do you like a Battleship whose soft stats are pretty much good to great across the board? 6km secondaries? Solid AA? Good, albeit short ranged primaries? A really good turning radius?Do you like CV players saying "drat, I didn't realize your AA was that good"? Check check and check :D

It's hands down my favourite ship.

I like all of those things! :shepspends:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
USSR has a few high tier candidates that were actually built and Wargaming has easier access to their archives. I don't care about realism, but I think prioritizing German tier 9 and 10 cruisers, designed by Wargaming to fill out the progression, over ship lines like UK battleships where you can fill tiers 1-10 with actual period designs, is more annoying.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Britain rules the waves.

Eventually.

Also, expect the Russian DDs to go live as is and then be nerfed 2 weeks later.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

DurosKlav posted:

Well you arent a game developer in a former Soviet country making a game with a very large Russian player base. The nationalism is strong.

Yes. I mean that's obviously the reason. It's so obvious it almost doesn't need to be said; that said, we can comment on what makes the most sense from a pure game development point of view, thinking about countries with well fleshed out historical navies to fill the tech trees.

I'm just theory crafting battleships game design. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Got out of the Phoenix into the Omaha. Loving it.

It seems like the levels+bonuses+slots is really aligned with pushing you up to tier VI in a single line. That's the point the level 8 cash bonus will get me to, after which it's just going to be a long grind for tiers after that. For the first time I'll need to grind cash as well as grinding XP.

That being said, it's not too shabby... tier V-VI is where it's at anyway.

Where are all the goons, though? No one doing warships in TS, and the SEAMN channel in game is empty. Are we just waiting for clans and a metagame?