Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Saw this on Facebook:

The post it was in led me to this story from 2013.

I'm afraid this argument hadn't caught on. :smith:
Aw, and I thought I was being original :(

BonoMan posted:

Yeah a ton of variants on that are showing up on my facebook feed. I thought "hey that's from an SA poster!" I guess not... :(
It's like that thing in evolution where isolated populations develop the same mutations :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

Also the Brady Campaign doesn't have an entire industry funding it.
I'd be interested in knowing what the NRA's funding breakdown is between memberships and grants/donations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SubponticatePoster posted:

Aw, and I thought I was being original :(

It's like that thing in evolution where isolated populations develop the same mutations :v:

Yeah, convergent evolution. Really, it's hard to think of something that nobody else has ever thought of. But it's still something you thought of without hearing it from someone else. So you can be proud. :glomp:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

jackofarcades posted:

Obama is one of the most polarizing figures ever. If he wants meaningful gun control passed he's better off not getting involved.
Actually with the way the Republicans work if he wants gun control enacted he should come out saying that all gun restrictions should be removed!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Young Freud posted:

One of the biggest gun control acts, the National Firearms Act of 1934, which created the categories of firearms and accessories, restricting the sale of machineguns, short-barrel rifles, and suppressors, and developed the whole regulation, trusts, and transfer system of the ATF, that was created with the help of the NRA. The NRA even compromised on the bill, because its proponents had originally wanted handguns and revolvers to be regulated as a Title II, but they got suppressors regulated instead.

The big problem is that there's already a waiting period on guns and, depending if you're buying an NFA-regulated firearm or accessory, you're paying $200 extra per item for the transfer tax stamp. And, while it's not, I know there's places like California where gun stores are closing because of the gun laws. The only gun store in San Francisco closed down recently and it made the national news, supposedly spurred on due to loss of sales because of a regulation requiring video taping the gun purchase. So, where pretty much almost there in some places.

And before you ask, "well, if you want to get a gun, you can go to another state like Nevada", guess what, that's what the anti-abortion crowd has been doing, trying to at least get a return to where states had their own laws on abortion.

For the gory pictures and such, the people posting these memes have never seen Freepers bandying about "this is what it looks like when a terrorist meets a .50" e-mail or spent any time on LiveLeak.

I do not accept the guns are like abortion narrative. One is a tool created by consenting adults to oblitate other persons and the other is a tool created by consenting adults to obliterate minorities.

Wait gently caress did I just prove guns are people?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's too bad that you might be mildly inconvenienced in purchasing murder tools I guess but I don't think this should be compared to abortion clinics

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd be interested in knowing what the NRA's funding breakdown is between memberships and grants/donations.

This is 2010 I guess. Couldn't really find anything more recent. I'd assuming it's changed quite a bit since 2012.

More recent but no real hard number:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-industry-funds-nra-2013-1

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If in SF gun buyers fear getting recorded, so the gun store shuts down. That sounds like a community deciding guns aren't that important. And before you say recording sales is pointless, SF actually has an institutional issue with gun running. Ask Shrimp Boy.

Plus, you don't have to go to loving Nevada, just another county.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking forward to NRA and such coming up with sensible gun control to increase public safety. So far all I hear is scaremongering and a complete refusal to engage with the issue.

Since this has worked fine for them to achieve their ends for the last four decades or so, why would they feel the need to do anything else?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RuanGacho posted:

I do not accept the guns are like abortion narrative. One is a tool created by consenting adults to oblitate other persons and the other is a tool created by consenting adults to obliterate minorities.

I don't think you have to accept the narrative in order to get that the promise of incremental inconveniences amounting to de facto restriction has a chilling effect on the willingness to compromise. Whether you agree with the comparison isn't the point; the comparison can be made, and the fact that people make it is important.

If lots of people wanted to ban cars you'd see more resistance to emission standards and vehicle registration laws, for instance.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Videotaping a gun sale seems completely reasonable and not difficult considering the vast number of retail stores that already use CCTV see the register. If customers are running away from stores because of it that says more about them than the regulation.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

What are the benefits to being an NRA member anyways? Is it just so you get the standard bearing baseball cap that let's everyone know you're a card carrying pile of white trash or what?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Trabisnikof posted:

If in SF gun buyers fear getting recorded, so the gun store shuts down. That sounds like a community deciding guns aren't that important. And before you say recording sales is pointless, SF actually has an institutional issue with gun running. Ask Shrimp Boy.

This. San Francisco is 49 square miles. You can find gun stores in every single county directly adjacent to SF. Google turned up at least ten in San Mateo, Marin, and Alameda counties.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Ask Leland Yee you mean.

Although the kind of poo poo he was running out of his senate office you can't buy at your average gun store.

Ran Mad Dog posted:

What are the benefits to being an NRA member anyways? Is it just so you get the standard bearing baseball cap that let's everyone know you're a card carrying pile of white trash or what?
Lots of discounts at retailers. Discounts on training, and other instructional stuff. Some ranges require NRA membership because the NRA insures them. You also get American Rifleman, which is good toilet reading.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006

LOL more like "School shooting not included".

Jesus Christ.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ran Mad Dog posted:

LOL more like "School shooting not included".

Jesus Christ.

I don't follow.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
I mean, the way that image is presented and the items shown brings back fond memories of Columbine, is all.

I don't know what's reminding me of it, but I can barely recall an arrangement nearly exactly like that one years ago that the shooters used to "show off their goods" to the net before they went out and killed a bunch of people. It probably wasn't Columbine though, I have no idea which one because there are so loving many school shootings at this point.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 3, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

One of the biggest gun control acts, the National Firearms Act of 1934, which created the categories of firearms and accessories, restricting the sale of machineguns, short-barrel rifles, and suppressors, and developed the whole regulation, trusts, and transfer system of the ATF, that was created with the help of the NRA. The NRA even compromised on the bill, because its proponents had originally wanted handguns and revolvers to be regulated as a Title II, but they got suppressors regulated instead.

I know. The NRA of 80 years ago is pretty different from the NRA of today. The NRA was in favor of gun control when segregation was still all the rage. As more modern firearms and gadgets have gained popularity, the NRA has made a pretty serious shift in various positions.

I dislike the NRA and fortunately always had alternate ranges I could go to that didn't require NRA membership. Also any organization that let Wayne LaPierre speak for them and pays Palin to show up at events is obviously pretty stupid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ran Mad Dog posted:

I mean, the way that image is presented and the items shown brings back fond memories of Columbine, is all.

I don't know what's reminding me of it, but I can barely recall an arrangement nearly exactly like that one years ago that the shooters used to "show off their goods" to the net before they went out and killed a bunch of people. It probably wasn't Columbine though, I have no idea which one because there are so loving many school shootings at this point.

Bitching about that display would be like bitching about a PADI certification ad that includes a mask, flippers, and dive knife in the picture. It's an NRA duffle bag showing a gun and equipment you should be using at the range. Just showing a picture of the bag and nothing else would be half-assed marketing at best.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
I dunno man That Bag looks like the bag of of a cold hearted trenchcoat donning killer to me..

(Just kidding I'm really goddamn tired and likely can't think straight at this point)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Ah, okay, that'll be it--I haven't seen this photo you're reminded of so I read "duffle bag=mass shooting" as a weird leap.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's too bad that you might be mildly inconvenienced in purchasing murder tools I guess but I don't think this should be compared to abortion clinics

You guys realize the person who said that is trying to explain to you the mindset of the people you're disagreeing with by comparing it to a belief you have, yeah? Of course you don't think it's a legitimate comparison, if you did you would have different beliefs. But to them, in their minds, in their beliefs and opinions, that they view gun regulation similar to how you view abortion regulation. Trying to say it's not a valid comparison is totally missing the point.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not a valid comparison because what is wrong and what is right is not a matter of view point. Reality is objective. Letting women have control of their own bodies is not the same as letting people have access to deadly weaponry as easily as possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

It's not a valid comparison because what is wrong and what is right is not a matter of view point. Reality is objective.

Right and wrong are subjects of morality, which is most definitely not objective.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There are people who believe abortion is senseless murder and that guns are an inalienable right given to us by a divinely inspired historical document to defend ourselves from oppression.

I mean yeah I personally think that's dumb too but good luck getting people to listen to you by telling them how objectively morally wrong they are.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Venom Snake posted:

It's not a valid comparison because what is wrong and what is right is not a matter of view point. Reality is objective.

Wrap it up, philosophers, Venom Snake is here!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Wrap it up, philosophers, Venom Snake is here!
You missed a trick there. Should be "philosophailures."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Venom Snake posted:

It's not a valid comparison because what is wrong and what is right is not a matter of view point. Reality is objective. Letting women have control of their own bodies is not the same as letting people have access to deadly weaponry as easily as possible.

Whether or not it's a valid comparison isn't actually important.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What's great is, anti-regulation advocates have won, nothing will happen. No one will make it harder for them to buy a gun or murder an acquaintance.

But they still have to pretend that the boogie man is out there, only seconds away from taking their guns.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
All the arguments against regulation are bullshit, everyone knows they're bullshit, and that is why gun nuts gish gallop around bringing up flaws of past regulation and trying to change the subject. You, personally YOU, have no right to murder other people. You may have a right to self defense but guns are awful for self defense. These mass shootings won't end until the number of guns in circulation is greatly reduced. Then struggling outcast men will have to throw temper tantrums with far less lethal means.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

What's great is, anti-regulation advocates have won, nothing will happen. No one will make it harder for them to buy a gun or murder an acquaintance.

But they still have to pretend that the boogie man is out there, only seconds away from taking their guns.

True at the federal level for now. Not really at the state level where, as I've said a bunch before, gun owners dislike the laws and gun control advocates dislike the laws. In plenty of states you can still get a semi-auto handgun or rifle that will kill the poo poo out of some people if you want to, but you'll have a bunch of dumbass cosmetic limitations or goofy magazines or, you're allowed to own a ten round magazine but you're just not allowed to fill it all the way up or else you're a criminal (NY). Fortunately, the courts ruled against the portion of the law that said you could own ten round magazines but if you loaded 8 rounds you were a bad, bad person.

AFAIK, the only similar restrictions to fully loading a magazine in the US stems from hunting laws and only applies when out hunting.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

dogs named Charlie posted:

All the arguments against regulation are bullshit, everyone knows they're bullshit, and that is why gun nuts gish gallop around bringing up flaws of past regulation and trying to change the subject. You, personally YOU, have no right to murder other people. You may have a right to self defense but guns are awful for self defense. These mass shootings won't end until the number of guns in circulation is greatly reduced. Then struggling outcast men will have to throw temper tantrums with far less lethal means.

Murdering people is already illegal, and I personally believe that prior restraint is a poisonous policy. Guns are also the most effective means of individual self defense available.

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe not federally, but people in New York, Maryland, Connecticut, Colorado, and California have all had to deal with more onerous restrictions on the ownership of firearms passed in the last four years. On the federal level, Feinstein and other Democrats made a serious push at re-instituting the AWB, which had to be headed off by a push from the pro-gun rights camp.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dead Reckoning posted:

Murdering people is already illegal, and I personally believe that prior restraint is a poisonous policy. Guns are also the most effective means of individual self defense available.

Why do people feel they need a gun to be safe in America. I feel perfectly safe and I don't even have a knife in easy reach.

E: Also on the ineffectiveness of having a gun for self defence. A man recently attacked a family with a knife. One of those family members was armed. Then man then took the gun and went on to shoot other people with it. A gun will only protect you from harm in very specific and very rare circumstances.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 3, 2015

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Dead Reckoning posted:

Guns are also the most effective means of individual self defense available.

That's really hosed up seeing as
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/19/guns-in-america-for-every-criminal-killed-in-self-defense-34-innocent-people-die/

You may not have the right to commit murder but as of right now people have the right to own an object that can, in the most casual way possible, end lives very quickly and easily. It shouldn't be that way

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is gunchart.jpg still a probatable offense?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe not federally, but people in New York, Maryland, Connecticut, Colorado, and California have all had to deal with more onerous restrictions on the ownership of firearms passed in the last four years. On the federal level, Feinstein and other Democrats made a serious push at re-instituting the AWB, which had to be headed off by a push from the pro-gun rights camp.

Can someone explain to me the justification for the 2nd in a modern context, I'm trying to figure out if nation states have a right to MAD or not.

I'm concerned that California doesn't have the rights it needs to defend itself against Alabama.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
guns are also the most effective means of suicide available, which is the main reason i'm against gun control

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

dogs named Charlie posted:

That's really hosed up seeing as
You may not have the right to commit murder but as of right now people have the right to own an object that can, in the most casual way possible, end lives very quickly and easily. It shouldn't be that way

Agreed. Ban automobiles in favor of light rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why do people feel they need a gun to be safe in America. I feel perfectly safe and I don't even have a knife in easy reach.

Because they're paranoid cowards.

• Locked thread