Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I saw of the Sleepy Hollow premiere suggests they're steering heavily towards Monster of the Week, which may be for the best. What people like is Ichabod and Abbie teaming up to fight evil, and they don't like when that gets messed with too much.

I feel like heavily serialized dramas seem to inevitably lose traction in year two (happened with Revenge as well), unless the first year wasn't great (or it was like Breaking Bad where the first year was a short, slow burn kinda thing). The fact that SH and Revenge both had full 22 episode orders seemed to hurt them too, it's hard to draw an arc out that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A lot of Sleepy Hollow S2 episodes were monster of the weeks with a Henry scene tacked on to make it look kinda serialized.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ShakeZula posted:

I don't think I'll ever really understand this perspective. Like, if a guy is a murderer or rapist or something, sure, I can see how it would be hard to accept them playing a character and be willing to get invested in their performance. But turning away from a show that interests you because one of the actors did time for tax evasion? Seems like an absurdly high standard to me.

Yeah, Snipes going to jail for tax evasion isn't the thing to take umbrage with; it's the fact that he was a possible player in the Nuwaubian Movement and had a training compound next to their facilities.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the premier of Sleepy Hollow was okay, I'm not too thrilled with how perfunctory the whole "and that's the end of the Headless Horseman" opening was. Also I guess he was just hanging out not doing much for nine months while everyone went their separate ways?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Lycus posted:

A lot of Sleepy Hollow S2 episodes were monster of the weeks with a Henry scene tacked on to make it look kinda serialized.

Nah, they always had Moloch as a the boogeyman behind everything to be logical. Caught up. You have no idea how satisfying that last episode of last season was, seeing Henry finally loving die, and of something so simple, and his mother rage out nonsensically (since that's her mindset anyway, with Henry and Abraham, she might as well redeem Moloch) and die too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So basically The Player is if John Rogers actually was given a budget to make a show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The newest episode of Moonbeam City features an avant-garde art community built around those lovely CGI animations that play at bowling alleys and later a bowling-themed serial killer, I'm glad that Conan O'Brien writing alum continue to make shows that are really loving weird in just the right way.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Pan Dulce posted:

Nah, they always had Moloch as a the boogeyman behind everything to be logical. Caught up. You have no idea how satisfying that last episode of last season was, seeing Henry finally loving die, and of something so simple, and his mother rage out nonsensically (since that's her mindset anyway, with Henry and Abraham, she might as well redeem Moloch) and die too.

I doubt that much (and definitely not all) of that is permanent anyway.

The premiere had a lot of very clumsy table-setting (exactly how does someone with no identity fly internationally in the first place?) but they've kept the good characters and ditched the weak/terrible ones (for now) so I'm back on board, but for the first 15 minutes or so I was convinced I'd be giving up on the show. Still might.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I doubt that much (and definitely not all) of that is permanent anyway.

The premiere had a lot of very clumsy table-setting (exactly how does someone with no identity fly internationally in the first place?) but they've kept the good characters and ditched the weak/terrible ones (for now) so I'm back on board, but for the first 15 minutes or so I was convinced I'd be giving up on the show. Still might.

He'd been given papers in the form of ID and a passport by that sketch dude before. The papers included a modern background at Oxford for some magical reason that was never explained, when that guy from the police called to check on Crane.

That didn't bother me. Most crime-procedurals and supernatural mumbo-jumbo shows have ridiculous table-setting, reasoning, and lack of storyline throughout seasons. You just learn to give up and enjoy the pretty pictures.

I think so.

Grimm and Supernatural come to mind. So does Vampire Diaries and Constantine (RIP). Do most monster of the week/crime crap deal with this bullshit?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pan Dulce posted:

He'd been given papers in the form of ID and a passport by that sketch dude before. The papers included a modern background at Oxford for some magical reason that was never explained, when that guy from the police called to check on Crane.

That didn't bother me. Most crime-procedurals and supernatural mumbo-jumbo shows have ridiculous table-setting, reasoning, and lack of storyline throughout seasons. You just learn to give up and enjoy the pretty pictures.

I think so.

Grimm and Supernatural come to mind. So does Vampire Diaries and Constantine (RIP). Do most monster of the week/crime crap deal with this bullshit?

The season of Supernatural with the Leviathans was pretty bad but I did like that they had an arc where the show basically called them out on how pants-on-head stupid it is for fugitives of the law that have drawn the ire of every big evil supernatural group out there to keep doing things like using cutesy musician aliases every time they impersonate the FBI.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm about to watch The Leftovers. Is this a terrible idea? Sepinwall and Fienberg both really like it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm about to watch The Leftovers. Is this a terrible idea? Sepinwall and Fienberg both really like it.

I liked it, but also haven't been able to muster up the enthusiasm to finish watching the first season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leftovers season 1 is very much a love it or hate it show. I hated it, and found its attempts at serious misery drama to be melodramatic and laughable, but many others feel differently.

Season 2 sounds a bit more palatable so I might check it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn, Minority Report is frustrating. They seem to have forgotten that the point of the film was that "pre-crime" was bullshit because Free Will exists.

At least Man in the High Castle should be a good PKD adaptation. The pilot was definitely great.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a slow burn and the main character is an rear end in a top hat but the later episodes explain exactly why he's a self-destructive rear end in a top hat and paints his actions in a new light. I enjoyed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Goddamn, Minority Report is frustrating. They seem to have forgotten that the point of the film was that "pre-crime" was bullshit because Free Will exists.

In episode 2 they do specifically say "we can't go arrest him now because we're not facists anymore. We need to stop the murder in the act."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Leftovers Season 1 had some individual character episodes that were outstanding. Even beyond those, there was some good stuff going on. IMO most of the bad came from the stupid inexplicable cult that seems to not be around anymore in S2. So maybe it'll click better?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finished the pilot and thought it was enjoyable. There's definitely a lot of balls up in the air, but it's loving Damon Lindelof so what do you expect that loving oval office.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah just watched the first episode of Heroes (The 'Reboot'). Who said this was decent? This felt exactly like Heroes always did and already is running into the same bullshit issues that plagued it the first time. I can just about take another scene where high school kid with powers gets bullied and has to force himself to avoid using powers, just about, but that loving Japanese lady in a video game stuff is unforgivable. That went through the hands of multiple people and not one of them said 'Eh maybe we shouldn't do this'. I wonder if Tim Kring is still writing the show as a committee, literally:

quote:

Especially the way we write the show: We write it as a group. A lot. To the extent that I’m probably the closest thing to a guy who writes by themselves. It came from the beginning of the series when there were such disparate storylines going at the same time. It was born out of necessity. We had to get on the air pretty quickly—we got picked up in mid-May, and we had to be on the air in September. Because of the serialized nature of the show, we needed to do what’s called block shoot, going to one place and shooting a bunch of scenes from different episodes in order to pay for it. To do that, we had to have five scripts written in less than six weeks. So we decided the best way to do that was, “You take this story, and you take this story, and just keep going!” So you’d say to a writer, “Instead of writing five scenes, write 15, and we’ll put three scripts together.” It set the style for how we were going to work. It’s been really helpful, because it ensures everyone is attached to every episode, and because of the nature of the storytelling, the episodes can have a lot more consistency from one to the other. When episodes are written by individual writers, they have wild inconsistency. When everybody is writing an episode, they feel like they’re written by one voice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

In episode 2 they do specifically say "we can't go arrest him now because we're not facists anymore. We need to stop the murder in the act."

No that's actually the part I was talking about, because they were talking as if they had gone back to believing that precog visions are always going to happen when the movie spelled out that that isn't actually true.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

precision posted:

No that's actually the part I was talking about, because they were talking as if they had gone back to believing that precog visions are always going to happen when the movie spelled out that that isn't actually true.

Has the show forgotten or have the characters?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I finished the pilot and thought it was enjoyable. There's definitely a lot of balls up in the air, but it's loving Damon Lindelof so what do you expect that loving oval office.

Just so you know they're never going to explain the rapture. They've said so many times. Which I personally really like

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

poo poo. It left such a bad aftertaste, I chose to go to the movies instead of watching AND even remembering to hit DVR on Heroes. Wonder if the second episode was any better than the first?
I might be spoiled, but poo poo, GotHAM, with all it's crazy nonsense is a much more entertaining "super" show than this. With S.H.I.E.L.D. back and Flash, Arrow, and iZombie coming this week, superhero/comic book saviors seem to be getting more upscale than what Heroes dished out first episode. But I get first episodes can be rough. I don't want to delve into their thread as it'll spoil the hell out of anything remotely interesting, but I just want to know if it was better.

Also, Zachary Levi acting made me think of Chuck. I never finished it. Got to the end of season 1 and a bit of 2. Was it worth going on too? Gosh, I remember loving Yvonne Strahovski and Adam Baldwin's fight scenes.

Geez. Thinking about it, comics really are being cashed in on. Jessica Jones on Netflix too. Supergirl. Lucifer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you really want to take tv recommendations from a man this fat?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, Zachary Levi acting made me think of Chuck. I never finished it. Got to the end of season 1 and a bit of 2. Was it worth going on too? Gosh, I remember loving Yvonne Strahovski and Adam Baldwin's fight scenes.

I forget, did you watch the wedding scene? That's probably the peak of the show, it fell off HARD after that, got its budget decimated, and never recovered. I never watched the final season 'cause the previous one was so rotten

Because the budget got cut they had to fill the show with some of the most gross marketing poo poo I've ever seen. Like there was an entire episode that was literally a giant ad for Subway

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 3, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

Maybe it's based on the book

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hcreight posted:

Leftovers Season 1 had some individual character episodes that were outstanding. Even beyond those, there was some good stuff going on. IMO most of the bad came from the stupid inexplicable cult that seems to not be around anymore in S2. So maybe it'll click better?

Leftovers Season 2 was shot not far from here, in Lockhart Texas. A friend of mine was an extra and he's been talking about it nonstop since the summer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For what it's worth, a lot of the early reviews for S2 have been positive and all stated that in the early going at least it's been better than S1.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah just watched the first episode of Heroes (The 'Reboot'). Who said this was decent? This felt exactly like Heroes always did and already is running into the same bullshit issues that plagued it the first time. I can just about take another scene where high school kid with powers gets bullied and has to force himself to avoid using powers, just about, but that loving Japanese lady in a video game stuff is unforgivable. That went through the hands of multiple people and not one of them said 'Eh maybe we shouldn't do this'. I wonder if Tim Kring is still writing the show as a committee, literally:

I didn't make it 15 minutes, and I watched all 4 seasons of the original. I can't fathom the amount of people claiming it's not terrible garbage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pan Dulce posted:

poo poo. It left such a bad aftertaste, I chose to go to the movies instead of watching AND even remembering to hit DVR on Heroes. Wonder if the second episode was any better than the first?
I might be spoiled, but poo poo, GotHAM, with all it's crazy nonsense is a much more entertaining "super" show than this. With S.H.I.E.L.D. back and Flash, Arrow, and iZombie coming this week, superhero/comic book saviors seem to be getting more upscale than what Heroes dished out first episode. But I get first episodes can be rough. I don't want to delve into their thread as it'll spoil the hell out of anything remotely interesting, but I just want to know if it was better.

Geez. Thinking about it, comics really are being cashed in on. Jessica Jones on Netflix too. Supergirl. Lucifer.

Chuck is decent enough.

At least watch seasons 1,2 and 3. Season 4 is the weakest of the seasons, Season 5 and actually has an ending.

Problem with Chuck is that the later seasons were in a constant state of fearing being canceled every 13 episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Season 5 of Chuck was total poo poo. It soured me on the entire series retroactively.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Problem with Chuck is that the later seasons were in a constant state of fearing being canceled every 13 episodes.

Community did the same thing, which meant that there were between two and three episodes every season wasted on either providing closure to characters (season finales) or explaining why the closure didn't take (season premieres). I understand being emotionally invested in your characters to the point where you want to give them a meaningful goodbye, but for gently caress's sake, why do it again the next year, and again the year after that? There is such a thing as diminishing returns in my emotional investment in a fictional character. Three seasons (60 episodes), I'm kinda invested. One follow up season of 13 episodes? Okay, maybe I have some residual emotional investment. Second follow up season of 13 episodes? Didn't we just loving close out this loving stupid loving character last loving year? loving hell, the writers are just jerking their dicks at this point over how much they love these goddamn characters, jeez.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh my god I'm zapping through late night tv and I find an episode of Miss Marple starring Benedict Cumberbatch himself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kurtofan posted:

Oh my god I'm zapping through late night tv and I find an episode of Miss Marple starring Benedict Cumberbatch himself.

Which one? I thought I'd seen all the Marples but I certainly never noticed him.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Irish Joe posted:

Do you really want to take tv recommendations from a man this fat?

gently caress you, Joe, you're better than that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joe's gimmick is regularly sexist and racist. No he isn't.

precision posted:

All the movie said was that if you know the exact circumstances and that you're being set up and it's fake, you can change it.

Otherwise every pre-crime vision in the movie was right.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I didn't make it 15 minutes, and I watched all 4 seasons of the original. I can't fathom the amount of people claiming it's not terrible garbage.

I watched the third episode today.

Do you guys remember how Pitchfork really hyped up a band based on their first song but when the full album dropped they gave it a 3.3/10 and the "review" was a picture of a couple of pugs with the word "Sorry :-/" superimposed ?

So yeah, that, but with Heroes Regurgitated instead.

It was kinda nice getting goosebumps from the "eeeeee aaaaah ooooOOOoOooo" wailing ladies one more time, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Community did the same thing, which meant that there were between two and three episodes every season wasted on either providing closure to characters (season finales) or explaining why the closure didn't take (season premieres). I understand being emotionally invested in your characters to the point where you want to give them a meaningful goodbye, but for gently caress's sake, why do it again the next year, and again the year after that? There is such a thing as diminishing returns in my emotional investment in a fictional character. Three seasons (60 episodes), I'm kinda invested. One follow up season of 13 episodes? Okay, maybe I have some residual emotional investment. Second follow up season of 13 episodes? Didn't we just loving close out this loving stupid loving character last loving year? loving hell, the writers are just jerking their dicks at this point over how much they love these goddamn characters, jeez.

All this could be solved by networks pulling their fingers out and deciding whether a show will live or die before a month after the last episode has aired. Or at least giving people a heads up if they're on the brink of cancellation. I agree, so many finales are written out of fear there's not going to be another premiere and it's crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In the end of the actual novella minority report is based on, the captain ends up committing the crime anyway because it's the only way to prove pre-crime works and he doesn't want the department shut down. So the prediction ends up coming true. In the movie they hosed it up in typical Spielberg style but that's Hollywood for you

• Locked thread